Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
It does not augur well for the program that the flagship hotel, run directly by people who work for Hyatt and thus do what HQ wants/are ok with, doesn't upgrade to a proper suite. Other properties might do the same because it is ok with the flagship to do bare minimum so it's ok for us to do the same.

I understand many will pay for a suite in NY but the flagship sets the tone for the whole program. Actually, I'm so unsettled by what PH NY and PH Sydney does with suites... it's a reason that while I love Hyatt, I am not trying to get lifetime like I did w SPG. I worry the benefits will get watered down eventually.

Proper suites and proper breakfasts are important to me. I worry other properties will follow suit.

I'm fairly price inelastic but do care about value. Hyatt doesn't have enough luxury properties for me. I stick w Hyatt because I want my benefits. If I can't get them, I'll bail.

I'll give 2 examples. This week I was in Guangzhou meeting business partners. The other 8 people stayed at Rosewood. I wanted to stay Park Hyatt out of loyalty - but they said there were no suites and they don't seem to upgrade to specialty suites.

I thus stayed at GH where they pre-upgraded me to a renovated suite and said they could probably give me a specialty suites next time if I really wanted.

Some of the new PHs in China have very very few standard suites so I don't stay there. It's becoming a problem because I can't find enough luxury hotels where I feel I get good enough value.

I'm not going to stay at a hotel where there is a 0% chance of getting a suite. I'll just stay at Rosewood then and be more convenient to all my partners. Next time, I'll either do rosewood or maybe GH because they are good to me. But it's not the luxury level I prefer.

I just spent 2 weeks in NY. Zero of that money went to PH because of how stingy they are. I have 5 nights coming up in Syndey. 0 of those nights are going to PH because of how stingy they are.

​​​​​

Flagships set the tone.
OhDoctor likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by SHLTP

Flagships set the tone.
Exactly right, and something people on this thread appear to be unable to grasp. A corporate-owned flagship property (by their own description!) should be the exemplar of top-tier elite benefits — upgrades, breakfast, late check-out, early check-in, staff interactions, etc.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It does not augur well for the program that the flagship hotel, run directly by people who work for Hyatt and thus do what HQ wants/are ok with, doesn't upgrade to a proper suite. Other properties might do the same because it is ok with the flagship to do bare minimum so it's ok for us to do the same.

I understand many will pay for a suite in NY but the flagship sets the tone for the whole program. Actually, I'm so unsettled by what PH NY and PH Sydney does with suites... it's a reason that while I love Hyatt, I am not trying to get lifetime like I did w SPG. I worry the benefits will get watered down eventually.

Proper suites and proper breakfasts are important to me. I worry other properties will follow suit.

I'm fairly price inelastic but do care about value. Hyatt doesn't have enough luxury properties for me. I stick w Hyatt because I want my benefits. If I can't get them, I'll bail.

I'll give 2 examples. This week I was in Guangzhou meeting business partners. The other 8 people stayed at Rosewood. I wanted to stay Park Hyatt out of loyalty - but they said there were no suites and they don't seem to upgrade to specialty suites.

I thus stayed at GH where they pre-upgraded me to a renovated suite and said they could probably give me a specialty suites next time if I really wanted.

Some of the new PHs in China have very very few standard suites so I don't stay there. It's becoming a problem because I can't find enough luxury hotels where I feel I get good enough value.

I'm not going to stay at a hotel where there is a 0% chance of getting a suite. I'll just stay at Rosewood then and be more convenient to all my partners. Next time, I'll either do rosewood or maybe GH because they are good to me. But it's not the luxury level I prefer.

I just spent 2 weeks in NY. Zero of that money went to PH because of how stingy they are. I have 5 nights coming up in Syndey. 0 of those nights are going to PH because of how stingy they are.

Flagships set the tone.
I think you are a perfect example of how Hyatt is successful at brand loyalty. You are willing to go out of your way to stay at a Hyatt despite some hotels not upgrading you to a full suite. Sure, you are not staying at the PH, but you are still spending money on a Hyatt hotel. Frankly, PHNY probably doesn't want people who are only willing to stay there if they can get a suite upgrade for base room price.

In markets like NYC and Syndey, I'm sure they have no trouble filling these rooms. So there is really no loss from you not spending any money there.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
I think you are a perfect example of how Hyatt is successful at brand loyalty. You are willing to go out of your way to stay at a Hyatt despite some hotels not upgrading you to a full suite. Sure, you are not staying at the PH, but you are still spending money on a Hyatt hotel. Frankly, PHNY probably doesn't want people who are only willing to stay there if they can get a suite upgrade for base room price.

In markets like NYC and Syndey, I'm sure they have no trouble filling these rooms. So there is really no loss from you not spending any money there.
Not really. Unless they are running 100% at all times. But anyway, like I said I'm most likely switching to Rosewood for Guangzhou next time (double the price of Park Hyatt Guangzhou) and I'm moving to Marriott for Sydney. GH GZ not luxurious enough for me or my friends.

I'm moving out of Hyatt system. Moreover, the other 8 people I'm with stayed at Rosewood instead of Hyatt. I requalified for Globalist and will now join my partners. So PH Hyatt is losing 9 people who are willing to pay more than PH prices. One of my buddies is worth $1.1 bil USD so Hyatt lost out.

Like I said, I'm pretty price inelastic. But if I'm going to be loyal to Hyatt and go semi out of my way, then I want a decent breakfast at PH NY. If I don't get, I'm willing to spend double for Rosewood and pay for breakfast. There's no point in me being loyal of I don't get taken care of more. I might as well be a free agent and pay for what I want, ie a suite.

That seems like a fail for Hyatt
Old Aug 11, 2023, 10:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
While upgrades are not uncommon, it is rare for luxury hotels to upgrade someone who pays for the cheapest room to a suite, even if it's available. There are certainly exceptions within Marriott and Hyatt chains.

In the NY market, a suite upgrade from the base room is probably exceedingly rare at Peninsula, MO, FS, etc.
Of course it’s rare at chains without loyalty programmes which include suite upgrades. I don’t think anyone could possibly argue with you there.

When I stay at a Hyatt though (and previously SPG), I will generally get a full suite upgrade at almost every luxury hotel I visit except in periods of exceptional demand. Clearly the PHNY Mgt figure the Hyatt programme is either over-saturated in the New York market or that they can get away with dodging respectful loyalty recognition. Maybe they’re right, but as frequent travellers it seems logical for people on this forum to be disappointed and indeed to take their business elsewhere.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Not really. Unless they are running 100% at all times. But anyway, like I said I'm most likely switching to Rosewood for Guangzhou next time (double the price of Park Hyatt Guangzhou) and I'm moving to Marriott for Sydney. GH GZ not luxurious enough for me or my friends.

I'm moving out of Hyatt system. Moreover, the other 8 people I'm with stayed at Rosewood instead of Hyatt. I requalified for Globalist and will now join my partners. So PH Hyatt is losing 9 people who are willing to pay more than PH prices. One of my buddies is worth $1.1 bil USD so Hyatt lost out.

Like I said, I'm pretty price inelastic. But if I'm going to be loyal to Hyatt and go semi out of my way, then I want a decent breakfast at PH NY. If I don't get, I'm willing to spend double for Rosewood and pay for breakfast. There's no point in me being loyal of I don't get taken care of more. I might as well be a free agent and pay for what I want, ie a suite.

That seems like a fail for Hyatt
If I were your billionaire business partner, I sure hope that you are recommending a hotel to me based on what's best for me/business and not because some hotel on the other side of the world is giving you free breakfast or a free suite upgrade.

You may be price "inelastic" but you are surprisingly sensitive to free breakfast and suite upgrades....
beachfan likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 8:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Moderator Note

Friendly reminder to discuss topics/issues (and being a property thread, try to keep it focused on the specific property), not other posters.

Thanks,
Hyatt mod team
Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The argument that because on a room rate of $x, because breakfast and a double upgrade isn't free, it makes more sense to pay $2x is an emotional, not rational one. It's fine for some, and yes, they lost a customer, but given that you could have paid $1.3x to get what you want at the Park Hyatt, paying 2x is not sound advice for others. You can get into the suite you want for a few hundred dollars more.

And the breakfast at the PH is perfectly fine. To say it isn't decent is a disservice to all. Folks have to really want to eat a big breakfast to be unhappy with an entree, and beverage . For me, I don't eat breakfast much and the angst over it is perplexing. If the quality was poor, I'd understand, and while I can get better smoked salmon at Russ and Daughters or Barney Greengrass in NYC, it's better than why I can get in LA.

PS The complaints about service are more valid to me.

And while I understand there is a negative feeling about being nickled and dime, true price inelasticity would mean one didn't care. So it's about their pricing model even if it isn't about price.

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 12, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by SMK77
I have stayed at both properties multiple times and concur with your view: base room to base room PHNY beats Andaz hands down. Andaz wins if you are looking at suites: I love the Wellness Suite, the 5th Ave Terrace and the Empire Terrace Suite.
agree, but those are premium suites, and while I used to get upgraded to those, no longer without $$ - just one of the dark Andaz suite unless paying extra $$. July 2023 was my last experience (Length of stay is a big factor and I'm always at least a week if not two. Experiences of one or two nights aren't relevant to me). And while I've only been at the PHNY 3 times, I've been a much longer and frequent guest at the Andaz 5th.

If you strictly compare TSU upgrades, it's junior suite PHNY to Andaz suite at the Andaz 5th avenue.

I don't disagree that there are better options outside Hyatt if paying $$ than the PHNY and wanting a luxury hotel, and since it went to cat 8, I'm no longer staying there, and am happy at the Andaz.
hwang1607 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
People come to this forum looking for feedback on whether to stay there. It’s helpful to understand why people avoid this place. It seems like while it may not be the most luxurious hotel in NYC, it’s still the best luxury Hyatt hotel in the city.
Exactly because people come here to look for advice, we should be very precise here: Park Hyatt in Manhattan is pro forma the top Hyatt hotel in Manhattan. Comparing it to what Park Hyatt offers as a brand around the world and what other luxury hotels do for their guests in Manhattan, I don't think PHNY is a good choice. More strongly, I feel it stands out in a very negative way and as Hyatt owns this property and has full control that is very unacceptable in my books.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
Exactly because people come here to look for advice, we should be very precise here: Park Hyatt in Manhattan is pro forma the top Hyatt hotel in Manhattan. Comparing it to what Park Hyatt offers as a brand around the world and what other luxury hotels do for their guests in Manhattan, I don't think PHNY is a good choice. More strongly, I feel it stands out in a very negative way and as Hyatt owns this property and has full control that is very unacceptable in my books.
Exactly. I have 80 nights at Park Hyatt Suzhou in last 3 years. I've been upgraded to a specialty suite every single time.

Last week at PH Suzhou when I checked in, they offered me to choose which specific specialty I wanted when I checked in. Everyone in my party was given a full buffet breakfast.

Last month at PH Dubai I was upgraded to president suite and had a full buffet breakfast

Why would I stay at PH NY when I would have no chance of getting upgraded to a proper suite and have a relatively meager breakfast

70-80% of my stays are at PHs or Alilas and the PH NY's lack of upgrades to a proper suite is disconcerting since it's owned and run by corporate. If other PHs follow suit, I Would not be loyal to Hyatt anymore.

PH NY sets a bad tone.

People on this thread attack me for how I spend and choose hotels as being irrational but I appreciate upgrades for a week to president suites and no I would not pay for that myself directly. That falls above my budget. I'm not going to spend 3000-5000 USD a night. But Hyatts loyalty program means sometimes I get those incredible rooms. That makes me loyal

But if everything becomes like NY, that's unacceptable
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:18 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Exactly. I have 80 nights at Park Hyatt Suzhou in last 3 years. I've been upgraded to a specialty suite every single time.

Last week at PH Suzhou when I checked in, they offered me to choose which specific specialty I wanted when I checked in. Everyone in my party was given a full buffet breakfast.

Last month at PH Dubai I was upgraded to president suite and had a full buffet breakfast

Why would I stay at PH NY when I would have no chance of getting upgraded to a proper suite and have a relatively meager breakfast

70-80% of my stays are at PHs or Alilas and the PH NY's lack of upgrades to a proper suite is disconcerting since it's owned and run by corporate. If other PHs follow suit, I Would not be loyal to Hyatt anymore.

PH NY sets a bad tone.

People on this thread attack me for how I spend and choose hotels as being irrational but I appreciate upgrades for a week to president suites and no I would not pay for that myself directly. That falls above my budget. I'm not going to spend 3000-5000 USD a night. But Hyatts loyalty program means sometimes I get those incredible rooms. That makes me loyal

But if everything becomes like NY, that's unacceptable
I truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts and I’ve always referred to it as a growing cancer
It’s already spread to other Hyatts.I urge you to open a case with Hyatt Consumer Affairs even if no improvement comes
If we don’t it goes on unchecked as business as usual going forward
SHLTP likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 12:34 pm

Re: the gripe with upgrades here. People say that there are many Hyatt's that only upgrade to the lowest tier suite, and therefore this Hyatt isn't doing anything wrong.

Here's the problem: The standard rooms at this property aren't really any worse than the "suite upgrades" awarded. In some ways, the suite is arguably worse, which is just crazy. Name me another Hyatt where the suite is basically on par with the standard room. THAT is why people are upset.

Not to beat a dead horse, though. So I'll echo what others have said: if you don't like it here, don't stay here. I'm done with PHNY. Voting with my wallet. I'll also not be staying at the Thompson (painful beds) or the Andaz (just not for me). Ironically I have gotten wonderful treatment and experiences at the Centric TS. Location obviously isn't for everybody, and the breakfast situation is what it is, but if you get beyond that, it's frankly great there. And they recognize all elite benefits very well.

It's a shame that properties like the Hyatt Grand Central have totally nose dived.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 3:06 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Throw in another data point for PH NY. Just checked in today for redeemed City View Suite, but was given 1012. Does not look like the photos at all, as only one view of the city, and not panoramic.

They are fully booked and front desk was indifferent and knew the lower floors are not what is advertised.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Throw in another data point for PH NY. Just checked in today for redeemed City View Suite, but was given 1012. Does not look like the photos at all, as only one view of the city, and not panoramic.

They are fully booked and front desk was indifferent and knew the lower floors are not what is advertised.
Dang, another reason why I just saved points and booked Thompson Central Park instead.
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.