Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: Hyatt
Besides continental breakfast or 57th street breakfast, can you order Japanese breakfast?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I agree with the spirit of the post, even if taken literally it seems dramatic (i.e. ordering a half dozen items throughout the menu). Given the menu prices, the quality of food and service is subpar, and the tight allowance makes a mockery of the globalist breakfast benefit. For those menu prices, they need to up their game, even if the location is in the billionaire's building on 'billionaires row'. And for those menu prices, the 50$ allowance is joke.

When I stayed for three nights last summer, the wife and I just ordered the 57th street breakfast, three days in a row. Even substituting the 2 eggs, meat choice, toast, coffee and juice for an eggs benedict, hashbrowns, and coffee would have set me back 15 $ in overages after tax and service charge. And, on account of them not fixing an errant charge on my minibar of ~25$ even after discussing it with them at checkout, I am pretty sure they would have been plenty happy to charge me for any overage as well.

To be clear, back then, my clear instructions were the allowance was 42$+tax+gratuity based on the 57th street breakfast. The new allowance of 50$ reduces the overage to perhaps 5$, but still, quite a short leash. If you want an entree with eggs (at least 28$), coffee (14$), AND juice (11$), you are already at 53$ (before tax, grutuity). If you want something more on the side, you pay dearly for it.

Also, with regards to ownership, the building is a mix of a hotel and condos. Hyatt is -not- the one who developed and built the building, which has been well-featured in engineering magazines and even a PBS program. So, perhaps they 'bought' the hotel section from the developer for a premium and own that space, but they are not the developers or owners of the whole 'building'.

Last edited by MarkOK; Dec 11, 2018 at 8:06 am
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Steve001
Besides continental breakfast or 57th street breakfast, can you order Japanese breakfast?
Yeah, it seems like that would be within the allowance.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

There's a Japanese breakfast now?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Yeah, it seems like that would be within the allowance.
Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
There's a Japanese breakfast now?
Check the menu, just below continental and 57th breakfast
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You can order whatever you like. You just may have to pay for some of it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks for a good laugh.
I'm sorry if you are unable to get the things which your status entitles you to. I've never had this problem.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
There are two discussions here one about what’s included or not in the Globalist benefit and the other on service and food and beverage quality which is where I started out as my hopeful main objective
I understand this. I am just saying that I think that the complaints about the limits of the Globalist benefit are unreasonable, unless they don't include what they are required to. There is a tendency for people (not you) to complain about completely ridiculous things in this forum, so I was trying to get the exact details. In my experience, Hyatt has always given me at least what I'm entitled to (and, often, a lot more)

The complaints about food quality are of course reasonable. I've never eaten there so I can't agree or disagree. I do plan to stay there this year though, in my search for a New York Hyatt that I like (which is the reason that I'm following this thread)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I understand this. I am just saying that I think that the complaints about the limits of the Globalist benefit are unreasonable, unless they don't include what they are required to.
How long have you held top tier Hyatt status, and how many stays? Because there are properties, this being one of them, that are well known for cheating on the breakfast benefit.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:25 pm

I understand this. I am just saying that I think that the complaints about the limits of the Globalist benefit are unreasonable, unless they don't include what they are required to. There is a tendency for people (not you) to complain about completely ridiculous things in this forum, so I was trying to get the exact details. In my experience, Hyatt has always given me at least what I'm entitled to (and, often, a lot more)

The complaints about food quality are of course reasonable. I've never eaten there so I can't agree or disagree. I do plan to stay there this year though, in my search for a New York Hyatt that I like (which is the reason that I'm following this thread)
So true. So true. There are various camps of "elites" and one in particular is a rather bitter (yearn for the glories of yesteryear) over-entitled group who will go on and on about how Hyatt doesn't meet their needs but oddly refuse to simply vote with their wallets and go elsewhere... In my experience (4 nights this year at this property) the hotel absolutely met its obligations under WOH. Did they wildly exceed them? No. But did they meet? Absolutely.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
How long have you held top tier Hyatt status, and how many stays? Because there are properties, this being one of them, that are well known for cheating on the breakfast benefit.
Going on 4 years top tier... and I think "well known for cheating" is a bit of an exaggeration...
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:28 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I'm with Kaycee on this one if we are discussing the Globalist breakfast benefit though I would say perhaps a bit greedy over cheating
After decades with Hyatt I can't think of any Hyatt hotel Park Hyatt or other that has asked me to pay additional for any reasonable breakfast ordered ala carte, buffet or Executive Lounge
It historically breaks Hyatt elite benefit precedent.When the hotel opened it was benefit as expected a complimentary breakfast and the breakfast then was truly fantastic with a heavenly pastry chef and inspired team on board
The only other hotel I've ever see do this in recent years use to be Andaz Maui who since dropped the up charges when they replaced it with a steep resort fee though not uncommon in true resort properties
Anyone else think of another Hyatt that up charges? Just curious now
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:31 pm

I'm sorry if you are unable to get the things which your status entitles you to. I've never had this problem.
Me neither, and never an issue at this property. There are plenty of options for around $50. Also in my experience the $50 allowance DOES NOT include tax and tip, so even if you spend $50 your total on the check will be more like $65. Of course for two guests that means more like $130 (which is where my bills averaged and again, no overage and didn't have to ask...)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:37 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Think you will be delighted with your upcoming stay I was restaurant/breakfast experience aside
I can't think of a better time to be a guest there as the hotel has adjusted some of its daily rates some well under 1000 dollars per night and elite recognition is at an all time high in my limited experiences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.