Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Is there any update on the status of the main restaurant possibly re-opening?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The dining page in the concierge section of the PHNY web site says October 21.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just back from a three night stay -- buy 2, get 1 free. I had no problems this time, even the doormen were more responsive. On one day of my stay, they had set up barriers to keep the entrance open. It was necessary because a lot of people lined each barrier. It turned out that the Real Madrid soccer team was checking in that day. This had absolutely no negative effect on my stay.

The option to have two garments pressed for free, previously found on the pad in the room, seems to have disappeared. At least I couldn't find it.

In the past, I've commented that the grocery store across the street seemed even more expensive than Whole Foods. Now it seems that their prices have gone down to more realistic levels (although still Manhattan crazy compared to normal places). PH room service charges $16 for a bagel with cream cheese, not even with lox (as I recall), plus a delivery charge, sales tax, and mandatory 19% tip. At the market, bagels are 69 cents each and enough cream cheese for 4 bagels is $3. Just sayin'....

To me, the hotel is finally progressing towards where it needs to be, although the globalist breakfast benefit remains inappropriately stingy.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
If these special services are not offered, ask for them. Otherwise, you won't get the full PHNY experience:
  • Confirmed suite upgrade, downgraded at checkin.
  • A room whose only view is a brick wall of the adjacent building.
  • $250 per night hold on your credit card for "incidentals".
  • A stern admonishment that water and coffee are free, and that if you even _touch_ anything else in the room, you will be charged. Then they leave a bowl of fruit, just to see if you were listening.
  • Complete freedom to choose anything you want at breakfast, as long as it is the one single cheapest meal on the menu, with a stern admonishment that you will be promptly and fully charged for any overage.
  • 4 pm checkout ... but your room key stops working at 12 noon. When you go to get the key reprogrammed, a stern warning that if you stay even one minute past 4 pm, you will be charged for a second night.
If you enjoy stern warnings from hotel desk clerks and waitstaff, then you'll have a great time at PHNY.
I had a much better stay (see somewhere above), but that doesn't mean that this isn't perceptive and funny ... it is!

And, danged, isn't the noon key-stops-working thing a feature everywhere? Worse yet, I find that if I say something about it in advance, it's almost a guarantee it will occur.
CloudCoder likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The dining page in the concierge section of the PHNY web site says October 21.
That's what I thought at first too, but here is what the e-concierge section says:

"The Back Room is currently undergoing renovations. We will reopen with an exciting new space and menu October 21."

Isn't the Back Room one of the previous versions of the the restaurant that already closed?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-back-room-new-york-7

I fear the e-concierge info may be severely out of date. Hoping that a recent guest may have the most accurate info.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Not sure how it could be "severely out of date"; believe it was just posted on the site within the past month or so. They could build a whole new restaurant in the 10+ weeks between now and Oct. 21.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Pickles
And then I asked them for a 4 PM checkout, and it was as if I asked them if I could empty the minibar of $180 Krug bottles and not pay for it, and then take a dump on the sofa from the accumulated carbon dioxide. Nous sommes désolés monsieur was the reply, we are very full this weekend. First time in I don't know how many hundreds of stays where 4 PM checkout was denied, and one of the few times when I actually needed it. I gave the man a look that pretty much told him what I thought of him and his hotel. So I asked him if I changed rooms to a lesser room could I get 4 PM checkout, and he reluctantly agreed. So there I go, moving to a smaller room, also facing 57th Street, on a higher floor. Nice and quiet. Of course, I had the fruits and waters brought up, it was a nice spread, and the manager on duty offered to comp me a lunch for my troubles (which I didn't take him up on, as I had no time). In the end, not a major issue, but if you aren't going to honor a 4 PM checkout, be upfront about it and don't assume it's not needed. If I had been walked to the smaller room right away, I wouldn't have been the wiser.
At least they didn't confirm it with you twice, then decide on the day of checkout that they were full and wouldn't honor it. That's what happened to my GOH reservation -- they went so far as to send a bellman up to "encourage" them to leave the room. Since they were not as familiar with Hyatt rules as myself, they had to adjust all of their plans and scurry out of the room. When I found out about it the manager of PHNY told me it was, and always has been, upon availability, which Hyatt customer service gladly backed them up on later.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:43 pm

Not sure how it could be "severely out of date"; believe it was just posted on the site within the past month or so. They could build a whole new restaurant in the 10+ weeks between now and Oct. 21.
My point was, they already had a restaurant in that space called The Back Room, which closed. Thus my concern (fear) that the e-concierge info was helplessly (severely) outdated.

However if you say that is info is newly posted, that is promising (although if I were the GM I'd sure as hell give the new restaurant a different name, if only to avoid confusing dopes like me).

Still hoping we can get an on-site report from a recent guest.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

There's still no "subject to availability" limitation on late checkout for Globalists at non-resorts, right?

I like PHNY but I feel like I'll always be underwhelmed there. That little ground-level "lobby" with the podium just doesn't feel like the grand entrance one expects at a $500+/night hotel. And it's a shame, because the property otherwise is beautiful.
PH lobbies are usually very subdued. Grand lobbies usually come from Grand Hyatts.

I hated arguing here for a 2pm checkout when I'm entitled to 4pm. No one should have to wave T&Cs at a flagship property.

That all being said, still considering this horribly flawed property for a points redemption.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:57 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
PH lobbies are usually very subdued. Grand lobbies usually come from Grand Hyatts.
Indeed. In fact, PH brand standard is to not have signs indicating Reception or Concierge in the lobby.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:42 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I had a much better stay (see somewhere above), but that doesn't mean that this isn't perceptive and funny ... it is!

And, danged, isn't the noon key-stops-working thing a feature everywhere? Worse yet, I find that if I say something about it in advance, it's almost a guarantee it will occur.

Yeah, the check-out time key-stops-working-thing is true at pretty much every hotel in the world that uses electronic keys. If you remind them (no front desk clerk seems to remember on their own), they can make sure the key keeps working until an agreed-upon later time. CloudCoder was more interested in having another 'bad' thing to report than to do that.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yeah, the check-out time key-stops-working-thing is true at pretty much every hotel in the world that uses electronic keys. If you remind them (no front desk clerk seems to remember on their own), they can make sure the key keeps working until an agreed-upon later time. CloudCoder was more interested in having another 'bad' thing to report than to do that.
I think the point is that for 900 clams there should be no need to remind them and they would remember on their own.
Aventine and MarkOK like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Lowly discoverist here. Booked 6 nights, all with points in September for our 10th anniversary. To have flexibility, booked each day as a new reservation. Wanted to splurge, but having doubts reading this thread. Hope it turns out okay! Going with kids, so, kinda need a pool - which takes out most other hotels in NYC.

Is there an email address that I can send a request regarding our stay? Can someone PM me? Thnx in advance
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Can't help with an email address, but if you're going with kids, they'll love the PHNY. The pool is awesome and you're two minutes from Central Park. There's also a Starbucks and a grocery store right across the street.
harishv79 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Pickles
I think the point is that for 900 clams there should be no need to remind them and they would remember on their own.
I've mostly not had any issues with the key card working past normal check-outs at full service Hyatts. It is sad that Park Hyatt NY is on more on par with a Hyatt Place with regards to this issue (and perhaps half the HRs). It's one of those minor customer service things that is supposed to help distinguish a luxury property as such.

The lobby discussion above is interesting. I love Park Hyatt's architectural design, including the relatively 'simple', small, yet very distinguishable downstairs entry. The brand is about a residential/intimate/personal luxury. There are other brands that are the more 'glitzy' type of luxury.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.