Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by harishv79
Lowly discoverist here. Booked 6 nights, all with points in September for our 10th anniversary. To have flexibility, booked each day as a new reservation. Wanted to splurge, but having doubts reading this thread. Hope it turns out okay! Going with kids, so, kinda need a pool - which takes out most other hotels in NYC.

Is there an email address that I can send a request regarding our stay? Can someone PM me? Thnx in advance
We've had two wonderful stays at this hotel over the past year, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Personally, I love it. It's a very special place - people here just like to complain (especially us over-entitled Globalists who don't realize how spoiled we really are, and to which I reluctantly confess to be myself...)

You likely won't get an upgrade, but all the rooms here are gorgeous with top notch everything. Don't expect a great view but those are rare in NYC anyway. The details (like the steam trunk tables), cleanliness, gorgeous bathrooms and showers will probably dazzle you if you've never experienced a true five star hotel. You WILL get access to what has to be one of the nicest pool, spa, steam room, and gym facilities in NYC which your kids will absolutely adore. I've never seen anything quite like it. There are also some great views of Central Park from the gym which adjoins the pool. Since your not getting a free breakfast anyway, complaints about this (although I've only had a great experience) won't be an issue for you, and given the very high prices in the restaurant, I'd look elsewhere anyway for family dining. The location is top notch - you will be a great neighborhood in the middle of everything.

Hard to put in words but we also love how QUIET the hotel feels to us. Very quiet hallways and huge heavy doors. Everything about it is very laid back but formal at the same time. It's a different sort of vibe, almost like an oasis in the city.

The staff are FINE. A bit cold sometimes, but remember that this is actually one of top hotels in NYC and there are people there that really are actually paying over $1,000 a night! Actually - most are! Some are paying MUCH more than that. Thus it is appropriate for the staff to be ever-so-slightly more focused on these customers (as I have seen evident, and I think this annoys the Globalist crowd staying there on points). Also, every time I've been there I've seen celebrities, and you likely will, too, if you keep an eye out and notice such things. When present, I have observed them monopolizing the staff.

Finally I have to emphasize how much of a BARGAIN this hotel is when you pay with points. The Hyatt Centric Times Square (another fine facility but several steps below the Park Hyatt) is 25,000 points per night. So is the Andaz. Heck the little Hyatt Herald Square is 20,000 (I think). For an extra 5,000-10,000 points you get a lot of great value.

Go with the right attitude and you will be dazzled!

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Aug 9, 2018 at 3:08 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by dpb132
My point was, they already had a restaurant in that space called The Back Room, which closed. Thus my concern (fear) that the e-concierge info was helplessly (severely) outdated.

However if you say that is info is newly posted, that is promising (although if I were the GM I'd sure as hell give the new restaurant a different name, if only to avoid confusing dopes like me).

Still hoping we can get an on-site report from a recent guest.

Permanentely closed - being used as an event space.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:11 pm

I prefer to redeem award nights in conjunction with paid nights. It brings the average nightly rate down, but one is still more likely to be taken seriously by the hotel. Also, if needing late checkout or early arrival, I book airport transfers from the hotel. It is not guaranteed, but in my experience strongly increases the likelihood of uninterrupted access to the room from arrival to departure.

For a purely paid stay I would be at The Peninsula.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Lowly discoverist here. Booked 6 nights, all with points in September for our 10th anniversary. To have flexibility, booked each day as a new reservation. Wanted to splurge, but having doubts reading this thread. Hope it turns out okay! Going with kids, so, kinda need a pool - which takes out most other hotels in NYC.

Is there an email address that I can send a request regarding our stay? Can someone PM me? Thnx in advance
I think it's definitely the best points redemption Hyatt in the city. Everyone I knew moved on from there but definitely try the general email and then find the GM if that doesn't work.

Hard to put in words but we also love how QUIET the hotel feels to us. Very quiet hallways and huge heavy doors. Everything about it is very laid back but formal at the same time. It's a different sort of vibe, almost like an oasis in the city.
I wish the windows were thickened and soundproofed quiet here. 4:30am trash pickup reverse beeping and dumpster dumping wasn't anything oasis-like.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 9, 2018 at 9:17 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I think it's definitely the best points redemption Hyatt in the city. Everyone I knew moved on from there but definitely try the general email and then find the GM if that doesn't work.

I wish the windows were thickened and soundproofed quiet here. 4:30am trash pickup reverse beeping and dumpster dumping wasn't anything oasis-like.
Yes, I've heard about those complaints. However in both stays this past year we experienced nothing of the sort and I am a light sleeper. We faced both the street (front) and the backside.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
My stay there in June was just a flew floors up and faced 57th street. I barely noticed the street noise.

And yes, I think points wise this place is worth it compared to other NYC hotels (due to the space and amenities more than the service). But I feel that most of the other NYC Hyatts are inflated by 1 (or even 2) categories and offer some of the worse pt redemptions in the whole WOH program.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Smile

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
We've had two wonderful stays at this hotel over the past year, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Personally, I love it. It's a very special place - people here just like to complain (especially us over-entitled Globalists who don't realize how spoiled we really are, and to which I reluctantly confess to be myself...)

You likely won't get an upgrade, but all the rooms here are gorgeous with top notch everything. Don't expect a great view but those are rare in NYC anyway. The details (like the steam trunk tables), cleanliness, gorgeous bathrooms and showers will probably dazzle you if you've never experienced a true five star hotel. You WILL get access to what has to be one of the nicest pool, spa, steam room, and gym facilities in NYC which your kids will absolutely adore. I've never seen anything quite like it. There are also some great views of Central Park from the gym which adjoins the pool. Since your not getting a free breakfast anyway, complaints about this (although I've only had a great experience) won't be an issue for you, and given the very high prices in the restaurant, I'd look elsewhere anyway for family dining. The location is top notch - you will be a great neighborhood in the middle of everything.

The staff are FINE. A bit cold sometimes, but remember that this is actually one of top hotels in NYC and there are people there that really are actually paying over $1,000 a night! Actually - most are! Some are paying MUCH more than that. Thus it is appropriate for the staff to be ever-so-slightly more focused on these customers (as I have seen evident, and I think this annoys the Globalist crowd staying there on points). Also, every time I've been there I've seen celebrities, and you likely will, too, if you keep an eye out and notice such things. When present, I have observed them monopolizing the staff.

Finally I have to emphasize how much of a BARGAIN this hotel is when you pay with points. The Hyatt Centric Times Square (another fine facility but several steps below the Park Hyatt) is 25,000 points per night. So is the Andaz. Heck the little Hyatt Herald Square is 20,000 (I think). For an extra 5,000-10,000 points you get a lot of great value.

Go with the right attitude and you will be dazzled!
Thanks so much! This makes me feel so much better. Have used points before to stay in PH Paris, and Sydney. Enjoyed those, but dont think I read the review threads of those on here.

I almost booked the Hyatt Centric, and then saw the 5000 points difference. Decided to make it a 6 night stay instead of a 7 night and booked a Holiday inn jfk for the 7th night. She's gonna hate the move!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:02 pm

Thanks so much! This makes me feel so much better. Have used points before to stay in PH Paris, and Sydney. Enjoyed those, but dont think I read the review threads of those on here.

I almost booked the Hyatt Centric, and then saw the 5000 points difference. Decided to make it a 6 night stay instead of a 7 night and booked a Holiday inn jfk for the 7th night. She's gonna hate the move!
Good choice. I'd take a night at the Holiday Inn JFK in order to be at the Park Hyatt over the Centric any day!!!

I haven't stayed at PH Paris or Sydney but I'd expect this facility to be at or above those levels... in terms of service, remember you are in the Northeast... and the culture is different. By those standards, I think the staff truly are fine at this hotel.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dpb132
That's what I thought at first too, but here is what the e-concierge section says:

"The Back Room is currently undergoing renovations. We will reopen with an exciting new space and menu October 21."

Isn't the Back Room one of the previous versions of the the restaurant that already closed?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-back-room-new-york-7

I fear the e-concierge info may be severely out of date. Hoping that a recent guest may have the most accurate info.
I was on property last week and there's absolutely nothing happening in the space where the Back Room was, so I don't think the information is accurate. Remember, the Back Room wasn't even the last restaurant in that space - Bevy was. That area is now used as event space. Even if they started renovations to that space since last week, I doubt it'll be done in two months.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:47 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Good choice. I'd take a night at the Holiday Inn JFK in order to be at the Park Hyatt over the Centric any day!!!

I haven't stayed at PH Paris or Sydney but I'd expect this facility to be at or above those levels... in terms of service, remember you are in the Northeast... and the culture is different. By those standards, I think the staff truly are fine at this hotel.
Anyone who expects PHs in the US to be better than Europe or Australiasia really needs to travel more.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Anyone who expects PHs in the US to be better than Europe or Australiasia really needs to travel more.
Before making such a comment, have you stayed at the PHNY? I've stayed in luxury hotels overseas, and the PHNY facility itself is absolutely top notch in terms of luxury 5 star hotel standards. It was built to be Hyatt's flagship property and isn't very old. It resides it what is known to be NYC's "Billionaire Tower." Can't imagine how the facility itself doesn't compare well to any other PH...

The service, on the other hand, is likely a step or two below what can be found overseas.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:21 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before making such a comment, have you stayed at the PHNY? I've stayed in luxury hotels overseas, and the PHNY facility itself is absolutely top notch in terms of luxury 5 star hotel standards. It was built to be Hyatt's flagship property and isn't very old. It resides it what is known to be NYC's "Billionaire Tower." Can't imagine how the facility itself doesn't compare well to any other PH...

The service, on the other hand, is likely a step or two below what can be found overseas.
Having stayed more than once at all three mentioned (PH in NYC, Sydney, and Paris), I'd put the service at the NY hotel at the level of Paris and above Sydney. PH Sydney staff has a bad sense of entitlement as the only true luxury hotel in town. Room stock (hard product) at NYC is superior to Paris and equivalent to Sydney, excluding of course the views in Sydney.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
I was on property last week and there's absolutely nothing happening in the space where the Back Room was, so I don't think the information is accurate. Remember, the Back Room wasn't even the last restaurant in that space - Bevy was. That area is now used as event space. Even if they started renovations to that space since last week, I doubt it'll be done in two months.
Might be wrong, but I thought that space operated, again, as the Back Room for a brief time after Bevy closed. Regardless, the space itself isn't what needed "renovations." If PHNY intends to have a new restaurant up and running by Oct. 11, they have plenty of time to do so. Hell, they could wait another 2-3 weeks and still have time.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Might be wrong, but I thought that space operated, again, as the Back Room for a brief time after Bevy closed. Regardless, the space itself isn't what needed "renovations." If PHNY intends to have a new restaurant up and running by Oct. 11, they have plenty of time to do so. Hell, they could wait another 2-3 weeks and still have time.
Clearly you do not know how much work it takes to soft-open a new restaurant. These projects have huge lead times.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scented
Clearly you do not know how much work it takes to soft-open a new restaurant. These projects have huge lead times.
No, I really do. If PHNY intends to have a restaurant operating in that space by Oct. 11, it has plenty of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.