Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:09 pm

I wonder how/why the flagship Park Hyatt property is trying to bend the rules on breakfast with only allowing the 57th Street Breakfast.

Below is the verbatim rules from the Gold Passport website on diamond breakfast.

Daily complimentary full breakfast inclusive of one entrée (or standard breakfast buffet), juice and coffee (tax, gratuity and service charges included) will be provided to the member and each registered guest in the room, maximum four (4) people. For stays at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, daily continental breakfast (tax and gratuity included) will be provided to the member and each guest registered in the room, maximum four (4) people. Breakfast is not valid for in-room dining. Benefit not valid when staying at Hyatt Place properties, Hyatt House properties, or Hyatt Residence Club resorts
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: A few
from what i see so far the PH NY is firmly sticking it's middle finger up at HGP
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by kuponuts
I am currently staying in an ADA Park Double Beds Roll-In Shower and Tub. Here are some photos.

The room measures 813 square feet -- even bigger than some of their suites. A great deal well worth the 30,000 points. I will be staying here for five nights.
Very nice thank you. And it has that partition that the Executive King didn't have...When I was looking at award nights, the only ones available were this room or the Park King. It looks like the Park King won't have that partition with the extra chair, being about 300 feet smaller... I'm guessing a good part of the 813 sqft went into the bigger bathroom...I'm surprised there are no grab bars near the toilet or in the shower...

Last edited by ENFO; Aug 29, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
from what i see so far the PH NY is firmly sticking it's middle finger up at HGP
I know. It's especially odd because hyatt ended buying the hotel after its completion so they are essentially giving themselves the finger. I still can't believe they blocked off all standard award nights for all of 2015, because they aren't sure when certain rooms will be ready Of course, all other room types are available. It looks like a pretty deliberate attempt to avoid award redemptions, which is very disappointing for a hyatt owned property.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

Had the $23 fish platter for breakfast as the Diamond Breakfast is really a continental breakfast with two cooked to order eggs and I was tired of it.

The fish platter was spectacular !

(As for my situation: we were moved to a quieter room / albeit much smaller // and I had a peaceful night of slumber on my rock hard bed)
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
It's a tricky situation. On the one hand we want it to be a proper HGP property as that is part of the reason to open a Hyatt. On the other hand we don't want it to be destroyed by HGP abuse and suffer devaluations like the Andaz Maui which clearly suffered from being a Hyatt brand as nobody wants to pay for breakfast or suites. Not sustainable.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

They just comped one of my nights which was greatly appreciated
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
Why was that?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Well deserved. Uncontrollable construction noise is not a normal/acceptable part of bumps of an opening. Others have been comped for much less. Refreshing to hear someone appreciative rather than entitled.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
(As for my situation: we were moved to a quieter room / albeit much smaller // and I had a peaceful night of slumber on my rock hard bed)
+1 on rock hard bed
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bidu
+1 on rock hard bed
Does anyone know the brand of mattress they seem to be using? That's quite odd for a flagship US property to have Asian style hard beds.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Aventine
That's quite odd for a flagship US property to have Asian style hard beds.
Not odd at all for the demographics Park Hyatt NY is targeting
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Aventine
Does anyone know the brand of mattress they seem to be using? That's quite odd for a flagship US property to have Asian style hard beds.
I just take a look, it is simmons beauty rest hospitality.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
Just finished my fourth night stay here at the PHNY. I still have one more night to go. Schriste wrote a very comprehensive and accurate review in post #3, so I won't repeat what he have said already. It is true that for breakfast, you are only allowed to order the 57th street breakfast, and it can get boring very soon (like after the second day for our stay).

In general, the staff has been very attentive and helpful. I would say that in terms of service, PHNY beats all the other Hyatt's in New York hands down. To give you an example, I was at Grand Hyatt New York and Andaz Wall Street prior to our stay at PHNY. I asked for assistance to change one of my upcoming flights with Cathay Pacific (from multiple people at each of the hotel so my case is very representative of their level of service).

The staff at Grand Hyatt told me that they won't be able to help with anything, and advised me to contact my travel agent or Cathay Pacific directly myself. The people at Andaz said they could help me look up the contact phone number and website of Cathay Pacific, but they won't be able to ring them for me. In contrast, PHNY was more than willing to do everything for me. Not only did they contact the airline (via overseas call), but helped me rebook my flight for me. In case you don't know, ringing CX customer services can be an extremely long and complicated process (e.g., a long waiting queue on the phone). However, their staff are very smart and could get what I wanted immediately (I asked for help from two different staff on different days). Here, I would agree that PHNY did deliver their underlying philosophy wherein "luxury is personal".

In terms of food and beverage, I think PHNY still has a long way to go. While all of their dishes were presented beautifully, the taste was quite mediocre quite honestly. FYI, I had breakfast and dinner at the Back Room, as well as ordered room service. I would say the only memorable dishes were their desserts (i.e., peach melba and lemon bar) and the simple harvest salad (from the room service menu).

During our stay, the iPad for controlling the room lights, TV, radio stations and ordering room services never worked. This became a problem as there were no printed phone directories or room services menu for reference.

For 30,000 points, I think PHNY represents a great value for redemption and is probably the best Hyatt hotel to stay in the city of New York. I wouldn't mind paying for the hotel for less than 500USD, but would seriously reconsider other options (e.g. Andaz Wall Street or 5th Avenue) if the price was more than 500USD.

Last edited by kuponuts; Sep 1, 2014 at 10:33 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
How would you summarize your overall experience of PHNY?
To be honest, I feel more like I was at a W hotel than at a Park Hyatt. "Understated luxury" was not the first word that came to my mind when I think of this hotel. I think "fashion, chic and presentations" better describe my feelings towards this hotel.

Is PHNY the best Hyatt in New York?
Yes, I would think so. In my mind, it is three times nicer than Andaz Wall Street and 40 times nicer than Grand Hyatt New York. If you ever need help with finding restaurants, booking tickets, or changing flights, you will be glad that you are in the hands of the staff at the Park Hyatt.

Is PHNY one of the best Hyatt's you have ever stayed in?
While PHNY is a very nice property, it is far from one of the best Hyatt's I have ever stayed in. I just finished staying at Park Hyatt Vienna and Grand Hyatt Berlin prior to my trip to New York. Both properties exceed PHNY in terms of service, F&B and comfort. And I can name tens of Hyatt's in Asia that are nicer than the PHNY. I would rate PHNY at the same level as the best Grand Hyatt's in Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.