Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Just got this email:

At Park Hyatt New York, experience all that New York has to offer while being nestled near New York's cultural icons including Carnegie Hall, the Museum of Modern Art and Central Park. And, with this exclusive, limited time offer, treat yourself to a unique and unparalleled experience in a suite on your next stay.

Book a Points + Cash Suite Award and indulge in the personalized luxury of a Park Hyatt New York suite:
• Experience the spacious Park Suite for 30,000 points + $400 per night
• Spoil yourself in the corner-unit West Side Suite, complete with butler service, for 30,000 points + $600 per night

Each one of our luxurious suites was designed for a lavish yet home-like feel and is furnished with the finest in museum-quality artwork, pristine Italian linens and signature Le Labo products.

Call 800-228-3360 in the U.S. and Canada or your nearest Worldwide Reservation Center today to book a Points + Cash Suite Award at Park Hyatt New York by December 1, 2014 for stays through February 28, 2015. Don't wait — reserve this exclusive stay today.
I wonder if P+C Suite Award is going to become a thing.

Base room is $725, 30k point redemtion

Suite is $1,125, which is $400 more than a base room. They are essentially letting you book a base room for 30k points and letting you pay the cash difference between a base room and the suite.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by britishcanuck
Just got this email:

Suite is $1,125, which is $400 more than a base room. They are essentially letting you book a base room for 30k points and letting you pay the cash difference between a base room and the suite.
I thought the westside suite offer might be a better deal 1525 per nite.
30k points and $600.00 corner suite comes with butler service
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:43 pm

Just got this email:

i wonder if this is related to no standard room availability... otherwise it'd make a lot more sense to do c/p on a regular room then dsu to a suite.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist/ SPG Gold / American Platinum / Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by yerffej201
i wonder if this is related to no standard room availability... otherwise it'd make a lot more sense to do c/p on a regular room then dsu to a suite.
You are exactly right. I actually asked about C&P availability at the Park Hyatt yesterday (before the email went out) and was told that they just introduced the suite C&P due to demand and the small number of standard rooms at the property.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just got this email:

I would have taken this last month but not almost a thousand dollars for a regular room, which is what they were offering with no Diamond Suite Upgrades available.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
So does this mean that they actually started offering standard rooms again and this is to alleviate some of the difficulty in booking the limited number of standard rooms or is this just giving them a better answer when people complain about them not offering ANY standard rooms. My fear is the latter since I still couldn't find any standard rooms.

It's funny that the website says construction noise is supposed to end 10/31 and they are pretending like they still aren't sure when the standard rooms will be finished. I wonder how much longer this will go on.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's the latter.... It seems this fully Hyatt owned property wants cash instead of people (only) staying on points. I wonder why they didn't decide to make this an all-suites property so they could have prevented people even trying to find standard rooms.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I wonder why they didn't decide to make this an all-suites property so they could have prevented people even trying to find standard rooms.
There are properties like this?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
There are properties like this?
I can't think of any, but there might be one I'm not thinking of. I know a lot of people expected Hyatt to do this with the Park Hyatt Maldives, but they didn't. So I can't imagine they would do this with the PH New York, which has several categories of non-suites.

Hyatt owns the property and they really need to quit allowing management to play games with award reservations. This has to send a terrible message to other properties that are very popular with award redemptions.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I visited the hotel last Sunday and was given a tour. One of the main construction projects that is going on is the staircase from the pool area to the gym, I was told it should be completed by next week.

I was also told there are very few standard kings the majority of the rooms are Park Deluxe Kings or suites. Only 2 of the rooms have a decent view of Central Park, the rest just have standard city views. I would say the rooms that face north east have a nice city views, great view of 432 Park Avenue http://432parkavenue.com/ The front desk told me many guest check in requesting central park views, or a room on a high floor assuming the hotel is located on the top floors, sadly they tell them the hotel just offers standard city views, and only occupies the lower floors.

In the end, I found the hotel to be a stunning property, I loved it. if you are looking for luxury this is the place to go. This hotel seems more of a destination where you could spend all day just hanging out and taking it all in. I'm a bit hesitant to stay here as when I'm in NYC I'm always out and about, don't really like spending that much time in the hotel. Additionally, I don't like the area, I prefer below 30th street, Madison Sq. Park, Union Sq down to the Village and Soho.

On another note look what is being built just a few doors down.
http://ny.curbed.com/tags/nordstrom-tower

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Oct 1, 2014 at 11:40 am
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:56 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Courtesy card member impression

I spent one night on a points reservation ( made long ago).
I was greeted at the taxi by a bellman/ doorman who insisted on taking my luggage when I told him I did not want any help. Finding the front desk was difficult- as has been previously described.
At checkin I was upgraded to a suite. I was told I was entitled to the American breakfast - no substitution was mentioned. I was offered a late checkout. I was not asked about a choice of newspaper and none was delivered.
I liked the suite although the lighting system took time to figure out.
The luggage did not arrive promptly and we went down for food. At that time the bellman / doorman was at the checkin area and asked if we wanted the luggage or if he should take it to the room. We chose the latter.
About 3 hours after checkin I noticed a message on my phone. I was told the welcome amenity could be delivered then . Since we were going to sleep we requested it ( the blueberry tart) for the next day.
During the night the GM's welcome card was slipped under the door.
We had the American breakfast and were underwhelmed. The food is better at the Andaz Fifth.
In general we found the staff trying to be friendly and personable but not as efficient as we would have preferred. It felt like they had their way of doing things rather than asking us what we would like.
We did not care for the location compared to the NYGH or the Andaz fifth.
In summary the room was very nice and quiet, but the staff and location are not as good as the Andaz so we will likely not return,
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Reading these threads gives me little reason to blow so many points on a "suite". Unless the trend changes will cxl November 2014 reservation and retreat to Andaz. The Andaz location seems much better.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Ouch terrible hotel restaurant review

http://nypost.com/2014/10/02/the-par...ep-in-anguish/
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
It's going to take more than the Park Hyatt name to keep the "reputation" of this property. Sad.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
I recently completed a two night award stay (via Chase Hyatt card) earlier this week -- Sept 28-30. I arrived to the front door via the Gett black car service. There were two or three well-dressed bellmen eager to let us out of the car and take our luggage, which I politely declined. I believe the bellmen all have transmitters to open the automatic doors.

After entering the hotel, I was led to a podium type apparatus just inside the entryway, where I assumed I would check in. Not the case. I was subsequently directed to the elevator, which led to the third floor formal lobby. The desk staff was friendly, but in an awkward, unnatural way (this theme continued with most other staff encounters). After some confusion over my award booking (two separate reservations), I was handed keys to room 2005, which overlooks 57th street. I was not recognized as a diamond guest, and had to ask for information on the breakfast and welcome amenity. I was told the welcome amenity was 'sweet and savory'. When I asked what that meant, no answer was available. Breakfast was identified as the 57th street breakfast only (more info later). There is infused water available in the lobby.

I was welcomed into the elevator by yet another smiling staff member, and was on my way to the room. Room 2005 is a standard King room. Colors are muted and earthy, floors are tile with a rug under the bed - heated in the bathroom area. Room lights are all controlled by a smattering of buttons, which took a while to get used to. The rain shower was very nice - spent a lot of time in there. Drapes are controlled with bedside buttons.

The pool area was beautiful and impeccably clean, and the gym had everything you would need to maintain a workout regimen. Windows looked out over both the front and rear of the building.

After the first night, our welcome amenity had failed to arrive, so I checked on it at the front desk. I was informed there was no food amenity at this time (remember the sweet and savory), but a $25 food and beverage credit. I was told that since I was promised a food amenity, one could be brought up to my room. I opted for the credit instead, which I blew on a small sliver of cheesecake delivered via room service ($22). It was delicious, however.

At breakfast, I decided to test the waters on what we could order. On day one we had the 57th street breakfast, a waffle with minted strawberries, poached apricot with granola, and a side of bacon. Day two we went for compressed watermelon, eggs benedict, and waygu beef and fried poached egg. Both days the totals were over $115 after tip, and were completely removed from the bill. I would say as long as you spend in the vicinity of the 57th street breakfast, it will come off. We both found the breakfast offerings to be very tasty, though the food temperature was slightly lower than I would prefer.

There is a car service available to deliver guests within 10 blocks of the hotel. The car is a 2014 Mercedes S-class sedan, and includes wifi, phone chargers, newspapers, etc. The driver was probably the most at-ease person we dealt with - very friendly.

Would I pay to stay here? No way, but I would never pay $1000/night at any hotel. Would I burn 30,000 GP points here? Probably not. I give the stay 4/5 stars.

As an interesting side note, I heard a ruckus in the hallway around 11pm on night one. A drunk guest was hassling one of the employees. Eventually a manager came up and asked him to leave the property, which he did not do. About 20 minutes later, NYPD showed up and demanded he pack his things and leave. Five minutes of discussion later, he was dragged down the hallway by the police officers. I thought I would get a call or apology about this embarrassing event right outside my door, but never heard anything else of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.