Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:08 am

I'm gifting a 2-night stay to a close friend for their post-wedding stay and debating between The St Regis and PHNY.

Things to consider:

- They won't be eating breakfast either of the mornings due to other plans.
- There is no car to park.
- Late check-out is not required.

St Regis:

- I reserved a superior room on points, but after speaking to the hotel, they have preassigned us into a Grand Luxe King for now, and will review closer to arrival. I'm just a lowly Marriott Gold so I'm pretty much at the hotel's mercy with whatever 'upgrade' they give, though they have been more than fair so far.

PHNY:

- I can apply a TSU and get a Suite for their 2-night stay.

------------------------------------

...So, the primary difference would be a confirmed suite but they will be in the room for a few hours each night anyway and the Grand Luxe King is nearly 500sq and seems quite nice. And The St Regis NY ambiance is something to think about.

Any opinion which hotel y'all would go with for this?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
What's the cost difference for the dates in question? I like PHNY a lot, service shortcomings aside, but it feels like a waste to stay there if one has a busy NYC agenda and will only be there to sleep. (The same, of course, might be true for the St. Regis.)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
What's the cost difference for the dates in question? I like PHNY a lot, service shortcomings aside, but it feels like a waste to stay there if one has a busy NYC agenda and will only be there to sleep. (The same, of course, might be true for the St. Regis.)
Reservation will be with points at either hotels. StR is 60k Marriott / night; PHNY is 30k Hyatt / night. Fairly equal buy-in (as far as point values go.)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A couple points to consider:

There's going to be a $50/night destination fee at the SR . . . though you get pretty good value in return.

The base "suite" at PHNY is not really a suite (just a large room) and it fronts on 57th Street on a very low floor, so dark and subject to traffic noise.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Checked in at 11PM tonight after a missed connection and being stuck in the city for the night. Globalist, asked for any available suite upgrades at checkin. Was blatantly lied to and was told unfortunately they were sold out of all their suites (checking their website they had at least two of every suite available, including the king bed and king bed studio suite.

Just frustrating the lack of inconsistency at this property. Wish it wasn't always a guessing game... have stayed here at least 10 times
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:01 am

Breakfast again! (Plus feedback request)

So I am a lowly gold HP member.
I have a big birthday coming up and have booked up (no
points only cash) the PH using virtuoso. They have included breakfast as part of the rate and when I queried what type they have confirmed it is the 57th
hich they have specifically said can be delivered to the room which I will be doing for most, if not all the days.
The 6 night stay is costing almost 4500 usd
whicb is a lot more than I normally would spend but given its a very special birthday I have gotten over it and was determined to enjoy it all. Except when I read the reviews.
I really don’t want to be in a situation where after forking out that kind of money I am still not guaranteed good service, I love a good hot breakfast and helpful staff to help get my bearings!

Dos anyone happen to know if the delivery charge to th room is for comp Ed breakfast/stays or will I be subjected to it as well. Also what is included? The menu online says toast or bakery items. Also I m not a fan of breakfast meats, can they substitute it easily do hash browns or is it a conversation I will regret starting?

The toss up was between this and the grand Hyatt which I ditched the idea of because of its business y persona- now I am having second thoughts because despite that at least the price is more reasonable and I know what to expect based on previous stays. The PH is a new one for me and I guess I just don’t want to regret my choice.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Hmna
points only cash) the PH using virtuoso. They have included breakfast as part of the rate and when I queried what type they have confirmed it is the 57th
hich they have specifically said can be delivered to the room which I will be doing for most, if not all the days.
whicb is a lot more than I normally would spend but given its a very special birthday I have gotten over it and was determined to enjoy it all. Except when I read the reviews.
I really don’t want to be in a situation where after forking out that kind of money I am still not guaranteed good service, I love a good hot breakfast and helpful staff to help get my bearings!

Dos anyone happen to know if the delivery charge to th room is for comp Ed breakfast/stays or will I be subjected to it as well. Also what is included? The menu online says toast or bakery items. Also I m not a fan of breakfast meats, can they substitute it easily do hash browns or is it a conversation I will regret starting?

The toss up was between this and the grand Hyatt which I ditched the idea of because of its business y persona- now I am having second thoughts because despite that at least the price is more reasonable and I know what to expect based on previous stays. The PH is a new one for me and I guess I just don’t want to regret my choice.
Service isn't really a PH NY hallmark. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed here.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond

The PHNYC does have some hiccups, but compared to the GHNYC for your special stay is a no brainer. The indoor pool at the PHNYC is a great amenity, plus there is a great gym , whirlpool and sauna to use. If there car is available they usually will let you use it to take you out. The Geand Hyatt has a gaziillion people running around and unless you are in a suite , many crappy depleted rooms.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
If I was paying cash the PH would not be my choice. $4500/6 is $750 a night. FS Downtown can be had at that rate and is a better hotel and location. Not to mention the others in midtown which may be in budget as well. I like the PH quite a bit and have stayed here 10+ times on points but would not pay cash rates given the steep competition in NYC.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

You can do better in NYC for that much money. And forget the GH for a special occasion.

I would suggest you consider non Hyatt options.

I am a lowly gold HP member.
Sorry, have no idea what you're referring to. If "HP" means Hyatt Gold Passport, that program was terminated in 2017. There is no "Gold" level in the new World of Hyatt program.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:13 pm

Sorry I meant to say I am the lowest tier category of membership to give context to the fact that I will not be eligible for all the perks that the better category of membership provides. Though, judging by the comments here, there seems to be some dissatisfaction in relation to PH providing those perks.

It doesn't HAVE to be hyatt I guess but my wedding was at a PH (not in North America) and I thought to mark my special birthday at the same hotel.

Perhaps I should look at the andaz 5 th avenue....
Thank you for your comments.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:23 pm

Sorry I meant to say I am the lowest tier category of membership to give context to the fact that I will not be eligible for all the perks that the better category of membership provides. Though, judging by the comments here, there seems to be some dissatisfaction in relation to PH providing those perks.

It doesn't HAVE to be hyatt I guess but my wedding was at a PH (not in North America) and I thought to mark my special birthday at the same hotel.

Perhaps I should look at the andaz 5 th avenue....
Thank you for your comments.
I would NEVER pay that much for the PHNY (and I love the hotel and am a Globalist..) Would NOT do Andaz either. If you aren't a Globalist then be a free agent and choose either the Four Seasons or one of the five-star independent hotels. TripAdvisor is your friend..... and would suggest you check out Virtuoso, Fine Hotels and Resorts (if you have Amex), or Luxury Collection (if you have Chase).
Hmna likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
If all you’re worried about is the breakfast delivery and exchanging the breakfast meat, why not call or email the hotel? PHNY is a beautiful hotel. Low-maintenance guests probably don’t notice most of the things people complain about in this thread, and since you don’t have Globalist status at Hyatt, most of the complaints are moot, for you, anyway.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I have a big birthday coming up...
Welcome to Flyertalk! Strongly suggest you check out the Luxury Hotels forum and threads such as Luxury Hotels In New York in order to choose a property most suitable for your special occasion.

Personally, I would never even consider actually paying for a stay at the PHNY.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:41 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I actually feel the hotel room standard is fairly nice and perfectly satisfactory if not assigned a noisy room on a lower floor
Service in NYC on the whole even in most 5 stars in NYC won't typically be life changing compared to other premium properties @ other INT destinations
where local cultures may be kinder and more service oriented.
While the PH NYC can use some improvement I thought it was fair enough on my last stay.giving credit to the very nice folks I encountered and enjoyed
the stay/accommodations minus the F&B experience
You know you had a lousy meal when you dine better on the plane flying home lol

The GM of PHNYC kindly emailed me to apologize for my dining issue during my stay however when I wanted to discuss it further for hopeful improvement never messaged me back
So I let it drop along with my business.
Though he has had a positive effect on the hotel to his credit otherwise.Truly saw an improvement over past stays

Its my opinion nobody wants to broach the obvious when it comes down to food and beverage/service at this property
They closed the original restaurant just like The Shop at Andaz 5th Avenue & Andaz Wall Street did and in the case of PHNY tried to shove operations into an inadequate set up in the lobby bar
While I could live with that the standards fell somewhere in the gutter like the failed Dina Ratta from Andaz Wall Street which is closed now
Is there anyone that would miss that reincarnation of the former Wall & Water cooking in the lobby on hot plates and then becoming Dina Ratt AND now an empty event room most the time
Probably nobody.

By Park Hyatt standards currently there is no competent Food and Beverage professional manager and team on board
that would begin to measure up what we come to know of Hyatt excellence
When the Park Hyatt Grand opened they went all out to pull out all the stops to bring in the finest professionals and a mind blowing breakfast one of the best in my lifetime
None of those folks exist now and I felt a cold empty non hospitable anywhere upscale experience with acceptable but non memorable somewhat assembly line execution
Coming from Andaz Maui just recently Hyatt assured me they still can be at the top of their game whenever they are willing.
Every morning we came downstairs excited to see again some of the most wonderful friendly welcoming team
members and incredible spreads and ala carte items.We couldn't eat till dinner we were so happy with our meals
You really have t wonder why Hyatt is willing to take such risks to its premium brand in perception.

IMO non Globalists are the very fortunate ones to stay here at PHNYC
The expectation is really what they basically book and receive with no need to do the business with Hyatt going forward or just a limited amount
They haven't spent tens of thousands of dollars staying 90 -100 nights a year or hundreds of thousands over the years and expect a benefit delivered
with reasonable expectations as promised by the program
The expectation is quite lower and they can skip out of the 120 to 200 dollar breakfast for 2 and eat in a city that has thousands of great options and still enjoy the hotel fully

I'd really love to be a regular guest @ PH NYC however my expectation is for a solid breakfast at least that of the 3 to 4 Star reasonably priced Hyatt Regency LAX which is very good on average
If I can achieve that an airport Hotel I feel the Park Hyatt should easily take that to the next level plus and have winning personalities excelling in hospitality and notable dining.
For me the Park Hyatt breakfast its a just adequate restaurant operational routine asking for an enormous premium based on surroundings, quality, service & personality in its current state
I'm excited to have breakfast next month at Grand Hyatt Berlin, Andaz Amsterdam, Park Hyatt Paris ,Hyatt Regency London
Hopefully no one has transferred over from the Park Hyatt NYC from the F&B dept
Cheers
scented and Hmna like this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 18, 2019 at 10:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.