Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Vienna - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Vienna - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by carmy
Not sure how this became a discussion about race, but I just want to make it abundantly clear that I was talking about one grumpy concierge. I have no reason to believe that it was anything more than him mistaking me for somebody else who'd asked a similar question the day before.

Again, it was a great stay but just a few service hiccups.
Sorry, but... "As I told you before" is not something I would never want to hear from a person working in hospitality. Irrespective of race, gender, sexual orientation, social economic status. A guest is a guest. And if you have re-iterate everything a million times over. No Issy Sharp and Golden Rule at Hyatt, but the Hyatt touch this is not.

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
There are always service hiccups. Somebody looks at you the wrong way or makes a snarky comment and then somebody posts it here on FT and then the message thread expands into oblivion over someone's dissatisfaction in how they were treated. I don't see how that helps anyone on FT, there will always be variability in treatment because people aren't machines. If the hotel consistently offers sub par service than that is notable but I wish people would stop looking to be treated perfectly by everyone at all times as an indication of hotel perfection. People just aren't that predictable.
This is why you hire for character, not experience.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
thanks for very useful and update info.

i have upcoming stay here in early november.

I'm asian too. Should i be prepared to the not-up-to-park-hyatt-standard service?

btw, i have backup booking at the ritz-carlton too.
RC plays in the same league in Europe, so you will also not find perfection there, although Wolfsburg on a good day can be flawless

Otherwise, it is pretty easy to summarize these days:

Park Hyatt Europe:

Almost all properties are in need of an update, infrastructure looks and feels more like the early 2000's, Park Hamburg and Park Vendome are the two most prominent examples. Service is not perfect, but what you can expect from a 5*S hotel in Europe. One should not expect more than a one category upgrade.

Park Hyatt Asia:

Some properties are newer, so infrastructure is not an issue, rooms tend to be a bit more upscale, usually we find a higher staff to guest ratio, however quite some staff members are not that polished yet. Upgrades tend to be a bit more 'Diamond-friendly'

Park Hyatt US:

Old infrastructure, often typical US training standards (aka poor), generally not much difference between a regular Park Hyatt and a well managed and new Regency/Grand.

One should never look for perfection staying at a Park Hyatt, some properties come close, some come very close on a good day, but often the properties are too large and had to lay off people, because the market was for perfection was simply not there (aka people did not pay enough to justify higher levels of service i.e. in the Gulf region)

Vienna had issues during breakfast service, especially during the tourist season( Guests get up late, show up late for breakfast and stay an hour or so...)

Vienna is also known for a certain attitude, also in the upscale hotel industry, so most of the comments justify a complaint, justify 5k in compensation, but are not really surprising.

I am a little bit disturbed reading the comments by some users regarding the free suite upgrades. Either my nagging on this board helped or the GM changed her attitude from her days at DUS or they simply upgraded all the Diamond members, because the lower level rooms were occupied by leisure/package guests from Russia/Asia/Arabia over the summer.

Will be interesting to see whether the suite upgrades will continue over the slow season as well.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by scented
Sorry, but... "As I told you before" is not something I would never want to hear from a person working in hospitality. Irrespective of race, gender, sexual orientation, social economic status. A guest is a guest. And if you have re-iterate everything a million times over. No Issy Sharp and Golden Rule at Hyatt, but the Hyatt touch this is not.

This is why you hire for character, not experience.
Expert comment. ^

Could not agree more.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FD1971
RC plays in the same league in Europe, so you will also not find perfection there, although Wolfsburg on a good day can be flawless

Otherwise, it is pretty easy to summarize these days:

Park Hyatt Asia:

Some properties are newer, so infrastructure is not an issue, rooms tend to be a bit more upscale, usually we find a higher staff to guest ratio, however quite some staff members are not that polished yet. Upgrades tend to be a bit more 'Diamond-friendly'

I am a little bit disturbed reading the comments by some users regarding the free suite upgrades. Either my nagging on this board helped or the GM changed her attitude from her days at DUS or they simply upgraded all the Diamond members, because the lower level rooms were occupied by leisure/package guests from Russia/Asia/Arabia over the summer.

Will be interesting to see whether the suite upgrades will continue over the slow season as well.
PH Busan keeps getting better and better. The staff seem better with time. I don't know if it's just hiring for character or the GM making a difference. We'll see how PH Toronto is in a few days with its old infrastructure and massive room count. PH Vienna is brand new so they don't face the infrastructure problem either?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
FD gave me 10-15 minute tour of the hotel when I checked it. No problem with housekeeping, they even tidied my girl's American girl doll accessories. Towels and toiletries in shower and by tub replaced in am and turndown. I had an early breakfast so had not problem in the Bank. With a buffet, I dont need much assistance from waitstaff.

It's true that the staff is young, green, and not polished like PHV, PH Tokyo, but It was the 1st time as a Diamond that I was treated like a VIP.

Heading back to Vienna over Thanksgiving and 1st thing my daughter wanted to know is if we can stay at the same hotel.

Love PHV, PHT, GHHK, but, because of location and hard product, this is the one hotel that I am most excited about returning to.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:34 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by thucanhho
FD gave me 10-15 minute tour of the hotel when I checked it. No problem with housekeeping, they even tidied my girl's American girl doll accessories. Towels and toiletries in shower and by tub replaced in am and turndown. I had an early breakfast so had not problem in the Bank. With a buffet, I dont need much assistance from waitstaff.

It's true that the staff is young, green, and not polished like PHV, PH Tokyo, but It was the 1st time as a Diamond that I was treated like a VIP.

Heading back to Vienna over Thanksgiving and 1st thing my daughter wanted to know is if we can stay at the same hotel.

Love PHV, PHT, GHHK, but, because of location and hard product, this is the one hotel that I am most excited about returning to
I echo your kind words and consider it a Gold standard role model property for Gold Passport elite recognition :-::-::-::-::-:
Lets get a few GMs from Park Hyatt in North America and show them how its done
Well done Park Hyatt Vienna ^
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Hello all,

Just had a 6 night stay in this property. Overall, we were quite happy with the hotel despite some hiccups. Stay summary:
-Upgraded from basic room to Deluxe room @ check in
-Room on 4th floor- beautifully appointed but the windows are smaller on that floor. This is evident from the exterior. Asked the agent if we could move to a different floor with bigger windows. She says "no, all windows are the same throughout the hotel". Okay.
- One of the windows does not open. The walk-in closet motion sensor light does not work (turns off while you are in the closet). They promise to fix it while we are out to dinner.
-Window and the light fixed. But during the night we realize the AC doesn't work. (Suspect it has something to do with the earlier window problem)
-Complain about the AC next morning. They promise to fix. The 2nd night the AC works OK, not great, but OK. It is not hot in Vienna anyways, so it's not a huge problem.
-We get a call on Day 3, saying they could not fix the AC so we are being moved to one of the suites. Sounds good.
-The suite we are moved to is very large, faces Am Hof, but it has the weirdest windows! The windows end at chest level and are in mini vestibule like extensions off the actual living area. So awkward. Gotta find a pic so I can post it. (Ambassador Suite, #304)
-The mini bar has used items, opened bags etc. 2 calls to the front and they were only removed 2 days later.
- The bathroom area smells stuffy, like moisture/mold... Hmmm. Not liking this suite so far. (The smell mostly went away the next day as we used the AC and the bathroom itself.)
-Got used to the weird window "giant in a small room" illusion. And the suite is huge and so beautifully decorated. Great light from windows. Nice views (despite the window size) Wonderful walk in closet. 1.5 bathroom. Spacious work area with large desk and a separate coat closet that came very handy.
-The furniture, wood paneling, light fixtures etc in the room were all very classy and high end. A pleasure to use.
-Concierge is top notch. Lukas especially (and Thomas too) were so very good, capable and helpful.
-No house car
-Awesome pool. Great spa facilities. (Sauna/Steam area co-ed but clothing optional, aka naked. But I'm an American!)
-Location is better, a little more private, than my previous stay at Hotel Sacher.
-Breakfast slow and at times prone to inaccuracies when ordering a la carte.
-Overall, very professional staff, quick and efficient housekeeping. Everything very clean and spotless.

The concierge tried his best to dissuade us from dining at Figlmuller (a touristy yet well established restaurant) but we loved it. All the other dining recommendations were spot on.

Awesome trip. Great hotel. Even the basic rooms are perfectly adequate. Reminds me of PH Istanbul. Would def. stay here again and recommend to friends.

Last edited by cdmca; Nov 3, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
just finished a 4-nights stay yesterday.

my thoughts.

1. the service was very good actually from check-in to check-out, all staff i met were nice and eager to help especially the guy in the spa. the check-in day was my birthday, they even sent a bottle of sparkling wine and a chocolate cake for me.

2. the hard product is truly spectacular, luxurious and upscale.

3. the room - I used DSU and got further upgraded to the corner Park view suite (view of Am Hof) on the 1st floor, very nice and beautifully decorated suite. I'm more than happy with it. I have no outside noise problem at all.

4. the food - I had only breakfast at the Bank and found no service hiccups at all. Wonderful and high-quality buffet plus many a la carte dishes to choose from. it was tasty too. the bank restaurant is the most beautiful breakfast venue i've ever been to. (As a diamond, you can have in-room breakfast too if you prefer)

5. Wifi - very fast and reliable.

6. Gym, Spa, Pool - nice gym with many lastest equipments, the pool is gorgeous. Didn't try the spa. they had sauna, steam room in the wet area too.

7. No problem with housekeeping service at all, they did thier job well. the minibar will be refilled in the evening plus extra glass-bottled water (750 ml).

8. They did the turndown service every days without my request.

9. perfect location for both walking and using metro. Many Shops & Restaurants are minutes away.

overall it was a great stay and will be my go-to hotel for the next time in vienna. Good service, Good location, Very good hard product.

p.s. sorry for my poor english.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Nov 4, 2015 at 11:31 am
Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I agree with the others that this property is absolutely beautiful. The hotel just needs to work on the service level a bit more. Bellmen didn’t assist with the heavy bags that my mother and I had. Housekeeping didn’t clean my room even though I called and asked them to. Maintenance didn’t fix the drain issue with the bathroom sink. Room Service forgot to bring the hot box and coffee on two separate occasions. Other than that, I had a pretty good stay at this hotel.

What surprised me was how they left two tickets to Schonnbrunn Palace in my room. I mentioned to the FD agent and Concierge that I planned on going the following day, so it was a very nice gesture.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:16 pm

Let me be another person who complements the physical beauty of this property. Quite frankly, I found it to be stunning, particularly the Bank where breakfast is served. Our suite was absolutely gorgeous. No problems with the actual building.

But....I found the service to be downright terrible at times. Not once we were greeted by the doormen or offered assistance with luggage. The guys standing at the door just blankly stared at us. Fine. But to not offer any assistance to my elderly mom is, frankly, downright impolite. That happened both upon arrival and departure. Those of you who have stayed there know that getting luggage to the elevator requires maneuvering up two separate sets of stairs. The front desk staff was young and inexperienced. My biggest complaint was with housekeeping. We left notes each day with simple requests such as extra conditioner or extra towels with generous tips. Our tips were taken each day, yet the requests went ignored. The most annoying part of the stay was when housekeeping didn't vacuum around the couch. There were very obvious food crumbs on the floor in a very conspicuous place. When I complained to the front desk, they sent someone to service the room again immediately. My mom and I were in the bedroom when the maid was vacuuming (awkward). We came out to find the mess was left yet again. The mess was there the next day too. Housekeeping is very, very sloppy.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The service sounds downright atrocious. 2 days to remove eaten items from the fridge or minibar and not helping an elderly person when they're right there. I would probably put the GM on notice for having such beautiful hardware but pathetic service.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
Not once we were greeted by the doormen or offered assistance with luggage. The guys standing at the door just blankly stared at us.
Honestly, the bellmen at all the hotels I recently visited were pretty much useless. This includes the PH Vienna/Paris/Dubai and the Hilton Budapest/Prague. Not sure why hotels even employ bellmen now
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
personally i found no service problems.

On arrival, a doorman did take my luggage without asking. they greeted me almost everytime i met them.

On departure, a doorman saw me with my luggage on the top of stairs, he ran to help me and took my luggage to the entrance. after finishing check-out he took my luggage to the pedestrian level and asked if i need a cab which i politely denied.

p.s. sorry for my poor english.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Excellent stay here

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
just finished a 4-nights stay yesterday.

my thoughts.

1. the service was very good actually from check-in to check-out, all staff i met were nice and eager to help especially the guy in the spa. the check-in day was my birthday, they even sent a bottle of sparkling wine and a chocolate cake for me.

2. the hard product is truly spectacular, luxurious and upscale.

3. the room - I used DSU and got further upgraded to the corner Park view suite (view of Am Hof) on the 1st floor, very nice and beautifully decorated suite. I'm more than happy with it. I have no outside noise problem at all.

4. the food - I had only breakfast at the Bank and found no service hiccups at all. Wonderful and high-quality buffet plus many a la carte dishes to choose from. it was tasty too. the bank restaurant is the most beautiful breakfast venue i've ever been to. (As a diamond, you can have in-room breakfast too if you prefer)

5. Wifi - very fast and reliable.

6. Gym, Spa, Pool - nice gym with many lastest equipments, the pool is gorgeous. Didn't try the spa. they had sauna, steam room in the wet area too.

7. No problem with housekeeping service at all, they did thier job well. the minibar will be refilled in the evening plus extra glass-bottled water (750 ml).

8. They did the turndown service every days without my request.

9. perfect location for both walking and using metro. Many Shops & Restaurants are minutes away.

overall it was a great stay and will be my go-to hotel for the next time in vienna. Good service, Good location, Very good hard product.
I had a recent 5-night stay here and I echo this experience.

In addition to breakfast every day we ate at the patio restaurant two or three times and enjoyed it each time.

We had a tremendous stay. I will go out of my way to stay here again.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
On the topic of bellmen and the like, I've got a stay here and the PHV coming up. I was told tipping here is either extremely minimal or completely non-existent. Is that the case? When there is a bellman out front do you tip them?

Also, staying on P&C w/DSU. Are the Park suites with the 15ft ceilings on the American 2nd floor or european 2nd floor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.