Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Vienna - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Vienna - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:39 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
trying to decide where to stay for 4 nights in late october.

the choices are park hyatt and ritz carlton. the park hyatt cost is more expensive (about 300 Euro) than the ritz carlton. however, according to reviews on FT and TA, i would love to try park hyatt instead (and i will be diamond before this stay).

do you guys think the park hyatt deserves the premium?

any comments would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

ps. i have no status with marriott.
I may be in the minority because I didn't have a great experience...
- subpar housekeeping
- poor diamond amenity (6 Mozart chocolates; after asking if our preferences about the amenity (sweet vs savory, bottle of wine etc))
- poor airport sedan experience
- disappointing conceirge interactions

My trip report is here. For some reason there are formatting problems that I blame on FT...

It's an absolutely stunning hard product, with some minor quibbles. I'm a huge fan of old architecture and I think they did a solid job. I've heard service has improved but based on my one run in with the GM, I wasn't terribly impressed.

I had considered the RC as well, and one consideration is if you'll be able to use a DSU. I ended up on a P+C and DSU and thought it was an amazing amazing value. However, if it came down to paying full price for one versus the other I would pick the RC; especially at 300 euros cheaper. Are you booking via a STARS or Virtuoso agent? That can help you pick up some more value at the RC (as well as at the PH)

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Aug 3, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:02 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
- subpar housekeeping
- poor diamond amenity (6 Mozart chocolates; after asking if our preferences about the amenity (sweet vs savory, bottle of wine etc))

My trip report is here. For some reason there are formatting problems that I blame on FT...

It's an absolutely stunning hard product, with some minor quibbles. I'm a huge fan of old architecture and I think they did a solid job. I've heard service has improved but based on my one run in with the GM, I wasn't terribly impressed.

I had considered the RC as well, and one consideration is if you'll be able to use a DSU. I ended up on a P+C and DSU and thought it was an amazing amazing value. However, if it came down to paying full price for one versus the other I would pick the RC; especially at 300 euros cheaper. Are you booking via a STARS or Virtuoso agent? That can help you pick up some more value at the RC (as well as at the PH)

FDW
Really sorry to hear about your stay and respect you as a bright well informed traveler.
I may have had better recognition then some others
or perhaps early on they may have been trying harder?I had some beautiful produce a large platter of fresh Apricots and grapes
Its not that I didn't have problems with my stay I did as it was shortly after opening I stayed there.
There were a number of issues that were beyond their control.
I'm a sucker though when I like a team, think they are sincere and blow me away with the upgraded accommodations
Tend to look the other way and think about the long term relationship
I am also less amenity concerned when I am super happy about my accommodations and I can always request points if unhappy with the in house amenity being offered
My suite was absolutely gorgeous and breakfast was quite solid IMHO based on local standards
Had a lousy experience with an airport sedan service however I booked it so I cant blame it on the hotel
Thought the housekeeping was great but like all stays YMMV
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
- subpar housekeeping

FDW
thank you for your comment.

i don't know any stars or virtuoso agents so i booked with the hotel directly. the rate i got at both hotels was BRG discounted rate.

My current thought is that if i can apply DSU at PH, I would pick them. (I need to wait until early september to become diamond and get DSU)

otherwise, i will choose the cheaper one (ritz carlton).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

i don't know any stars or virtuoso agents so i booked with the hotel directly. the rate i got at both hotels was BRG discounted rate.

My current thought is that if i can apply DSU at PH, I would pick them. (I need to wait until early september to become diamond and get DSU)

Best to get that done through the hotel or Hyatt Concierge.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:22 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
The rooms are really nice at the PHV, BUT
house keeping is really not good and the service during breakfast is so slow and oblivious, that it either took 20-30 minutes to get the hot beverages or did not get them at all e.g..

House keeping and service improved a little the second time we were there, but are still not at the PH level.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
- subpar housekeeping

FDW
You should be more concrete when requesting a service.

Multiple times during the report, it becomes obvious that you do not voice your requests in a really coherent way (I guess you are probably a very polite person) so you make it difficult for the persons involved to deliver a tailor-made product, i.e. list of restaurants, Diamond amenity etc.

Sixt is a major partner for the travel industry when it comes to driving services, it is a very reasonable price in comparison to other PH Hotels in Europe, but indeed walking down to the rental car garage in order to get to the car is pretty time consuming.

With a regular cab, you are already past Schwechat when you reach the PH limo.

Especially in summer, so during high tourist season, when many people visit the Hotels on a B&B plan, breakfast is often chaotic, because neither the capacity of the restaurant (or kitchen) nor the quantity of waiters (or Chefs) is sufficient to handle the demand, it is sad, but part of the game I fear.

Palais Coburg still seems to be the Benchmark in town, even after the competition moved in, Palais Hansen, a Kempinski, is supposed to be really good as well, so based on the comments of some well-respected users, the PH has to up the ante a bit to really leave a mark in Vienna.

6 Mozartkugeln by a quality provider (I guess it was Hofbauer) is a solid Diamond amenity, however I would always opt for the points and pay €3-4 in a store. I prefer the Constanze Version of the Mozartkugel anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:36 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Think I missed a detail.. was it 300 euros per night difference, or 300 euros difference for the total stay? It's a no brainer if you can apply a DSU... the suites are really quite nice... loved the high ceilings...

Originally Posted by FD1971
You should be more concrete when requesting a service.

Multiple times during the report, it becomes obvious that you do not voice your requests in a really coherent way (I guess you are probably a very polite person) so you make it difficult for the persons involved to deliver a tailor-made product, i.e. list of restaurants, Diamond amenity etc.

Sixt is a major partner for the travel industry when it comes to driving services, it is a very reasonable price in comparison to other PH Hotels in Europe, but indeed walking down to the rental car garage in order to get to the car is pretty time consuming.

With a regular cab, you are already past Schwechat when you reach the PH limo.

Especially in summer, so during high tourist season, when many people visit the Hotels on a B&B plan, breakfast is often chaotic, because neither the capacity of the restaurant (or kitchen) nor the quantity of waiters (or Chefs) is sufficient to handle the demand, it is sad, but part of the game I fear.

Palais Coburg still seems to be the Benchmark in town, even after the competition moved in, Palais Hansen, a Kempinski, is supposed to be really good as well, so based on the comments of some well-respected users, the PH has to up the ante a bit to really leave a mark in Vienna.

6 Mozartkugeln by a quality provider (I guess it was Hofbauer) is a solid Diamond amenity, however I would always opt for the points and pay €3-4 in a store. I prefer the Constanze Version of the Mozartkugel anyway.
I'm not the type to raise my voice, and maybe I was a bit unclear in my interactions with the concierge but if more clarity was needed, then I feel that the mark of a good concierge would have been followup which didn't happen... and even if there was some miscommuncation about the diamond amenity, there was also lack of followup and delivery on their part... In addition, if I had known it was going to be Mozart chocolates I would definitely have opted for their points.. my interactions with the agents suggested it would have been more substantial..

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Really sorry to hear about your stay and respect you as a bright well informed traveler.
I may have had better recognition then some others
or perhaps early on they may have been trying harder?I had some beautiful produce a large platter of fresh Apricots and grapes
Its not that I didn't have problems with my stay I did as it was shortly after opening I stayed there.
There were a number of issues that were beyond their control.
I'm a sucker though when I like a team, think they are sincere and blow me away with the upgraded accommodations
Tend to look the other way and think about the long term relationship
I am also less amenity concerned when I am super happy about my accommodations and I can always request points if unhappy with the in house amenity being offered
My suite was absolutely gorgeous and breakfast was quite solid IMHO based on local standards
Had a lousy experience with an airport sedan service however I booked it so I cant blame it on the hotel
Thought the housekeeping was great but like all stays YMMV
It's an absolutely gorgeous property and we did enjoy our stay. My main problem is that in some cities, Park Hyatts are true luxury hotels. I found excellent service in Istanbul for example. The Vienna location is almost there, and maybe it is there at this point... I think we had been there within 6 months of opening so maybe they've had some time to work out their kinks... I would definitely return, but only if I was able to use a DSU to confirm a suite. If I had to pay $$$ outright, I would probably choose a different option in Vienna.

FDW
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Think I missed a detail.. was it 300 euros per night difference, or 300 euros difference for the total stay? It's a no brainer if you can apply a DSU... the suites are really quite nice... loved the high ceilings...
it's 300 Euro difference for the total stay.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable

I'm not the type to raise my voice, and maybe I was a bit unclear in my interactions with the concierge but if more clarity was needed, then I feel that the mark of a good concierge would have been followup which didn't happen... and even if there was some miscommuncation about the diamond amenity, there was also lack of followup and delivery on their part... In addition, if I had known it was going to be Mozart chocolates I would definitely have opted for their points.. my interactions with the agents suggested it would have been more substantial..

A PH should strive for perfection, no doubt about it.

A PH should also deliver constantly perfect service and right here I see issues in Vienna.

Aside from guests expecting too much (this thread has become a beautiful example and I fear the next FT member who will not get a senior suite will voice his disappointment in this thread) a Hyatt should always deliver consistency, i.e. welcome letter for a Diamond guest, fruit plate for a guest staying in a suite etc.

Again, I do not think that 6 Mozartkugeln are a bad Diamond amenity, but I think that the Limo service leaves a lot to be desired, although it is relatively cheap.

I do not think that you have to raise your voice, I do recommend however (I had to learn it myself) that requesting a service should be communicated as precise as possible, I could probably write a book about all the issues that arose from unclear communication.

GPP profile preferences are a beautiful example. I talked to persons in charge who argued that they will always place a guest away from an elevator, in case it is his/her preference, even if it means that he/she is not on the RC floor anymore...., not being on the RC floor resulted in roughly 287 rants on FT alone.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FD1971
A PH should strive for perfection, no doubt about it.

A PH should also deliver constantly perfect service and right here I see issues in Vienna.

Aside from guests expecting too much (this thread has become a beautiful example and I fear the next FT member who will not get a senior suite will voice his disappointment in this thread) a Hyatt should always deliver consistency, i.e. welcome letter for a Diamond guest, fruit plate for a guest staying in a suite etc
yes, you're definitely right about consistency. I could careless that "so and so" got the ambassador suite and I just had a normal room. They deliver the same amenities, notes and overall service. Being a herky jerky service hotel isn't what a Park Hyatt is supposed to be.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Just had a one night stay here on a Saturday night. I would agree with much of the above. A very very nice hard product (Spa area is amazing IMO), but services touches just need a little work.

The good--
Was upgraded to a diplomat suite (no DSU) It was probably the most immaculate room I have stayed into to date.
Room was available early (We checked in at 1:30 or so).
As I mentioned--the Spa area is one of the nicer I have seen.
Did recieve plate of fruits and letter

The less good.
-A bag that was not ours was delivered to our room. Quite the surprise when we got home from a day of walking around. No big deal for us, but someone else had to be concerned I would imagine!
-Breakfast was painfully slow. Had to give up on a waffle that was taking more than 20 minutes to recieve. Hot beverages were also very very slow.
-At checkout, we were charged for breakfast, and it took about 10 minutes for them to sort out how to give a refund for the amount.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again--but they just need to work on some small things in the soft product. The location for shopping was very good--and easy to access public transportation in nearly every direction.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Yes, rooms, spa/pool, location, and main restaurant are awesome.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:39 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Just had a one night stay here on a Saturday night. I would agree with much of the above. A very very nice hard product (Spa area is amazing IMO), but services touches just need a little work.

The good--
Was upgraded to a diplomat suite (no DSU) It was probably the most immaculate room I have stayed into to date.

The less good.
-A bag that was not ours was delivered to our room. Quite the surprise when we got home from a day of walking around. No big deal for us, but someone else had to be concerned I would imagine!
-Breakfast was painfully slow. Had to give up on a waffle that was taking more than 20 minutes to recieve. Hot beverages were also very very slow.
-At checkout, we were charged for breakfast, and it took about 10 minutes for them to sort out how to give a refund for the amount.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again--but they just need to work on some small things in the soft product. The location for shopping was very good--and easy to access public transportation in nearly every direction.
For me it sounds like a fantastic stay even with the few hiccups
experienced.Sounds like you hit some isolated issues it happens and it can be frustrating
I cant wait to return to this property because it is Hyatt Gold Passport recognition consistent above and beyond and I commend the outstanding management and relationship building and like to see that recognition standard at all North America Hyatt's^
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall

The good--

The less good.

Thanks for the upgrade details on the other thread! Hope they improve service by July 2016...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I have a C+P+DSU stay coming in a couple of weeks. Interestingly, C+P only space was NOT available, but if I used a DSU then I could use C+P. First time that's happened to me. It's alright though, still have 4 left to burn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.