Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: N/A
Given the mediocre TA reviews, even though I'm a diamond member, is this a worthwhile property to consider? I have a budget of about $200/nt and would appreciate any advice.

There seems to be a deal on the Regent Phuket Cape Panwa for $180 a night and that looks like a very nice property

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JBG89
Given the mediocre TA reviews, even though I'm a diamond member, is this a worthwhile property to consider?
What I would reconsider is Phuket. Koh Lanta and Samui are both much nicer.

Last edited by Kacee; Sep 15, 2014 at 4:59 pm Reason: user error
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I liked this property.

Thank You,

I am actually travelling in december and am attending the full moon party nearby samui right after. Would it be worthwhile exploring both phuket and samui (i am connecting in phuket anyways)? I have also heard the weather in samui may not be as favorable as phuket,
Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Given the mediocre TA reviews, even though I'm a diamond member, is this a worthwhile property to consider? I have a budget of about $200/nt and would appreciate any advice.

There seems to be a deal on the Regent Phuket Cape Panwa for $180 a night and that looks like a very nice property

Thanks!
I checked in yesterday and have quite favorable initial impressions. All of the staff I have encountered have been genuinely warm, hard-working, and eager to help. The club lounge has stunning views and is the only Hyatt or Marriott club lounge in Asia I've encountered that has a well-curated music selection, which is a service aspect I believe I take more personally than most guests. The breakfast at the Pool House is quite comprehensive and of a high quality. Diamonds can take breakfast there or in the club lounge, which I haven't tried yet. A kitchen staff member was particularly helpful when I inquired about food allergy-type issues during evening cocktails, which is incredibly important for the small subset of guests whose stays could be badly marred/ruined by eating the wrong thing.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Lanta possibly but I can't stand Samui. Phuket, for all that it has it's faults, is heads and tails more enjoyable... YMMV.

Originally Posted by abitlost
I checked in yesterday and have quite favorable initial impressions. All of the staff I have encountered have been genuinely warm, hard-working, and eager to help. The club lounge has stunning views and is the only Hyatt or Marriott club lounge in Asia I've encountered that has a well-curated music selection, which is a service aspect I believe I take more personally than most guests. The breakfast at the Pool House is quite comprehensive and of a high quality. Diamonds can take breakfast there or in the club lounge, which I haven't tried yet. A kitchen staff member was particularly helpful when I inquired about food allergy-type issues during evening cocktails, which is incredibly important for the small subset of guests whose stays could be badly marred/ruined by eating the wrong thing.
I checked out yesterday and had a great but brief stay. The club level rooms were nice with a great balcony overlooking the sea (when you could see it through the rain/clouds).

The lounge breakfast was decent enough but I didn't get down to the resto to see their breakfast. Cocktails and food was sufficient during the evening session. The plunge pool offers some outstanding views too. The only thing I'd say could be a problem is the smallness of the lounge interior. I'd expect that during high season there's a risk of reaching capacity.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Lanta possibly but I can't stand Samui. Phuket, for all that it has it's faults, is heads and tails more enjoyable... YMMV.

I checked out yesterday and had a great but brief stay. The club level rooms were nice with a great balcony overlooking the sea (when you could see it through the rain/clouds).

The lounge breakfast was decent enough but I didn't get down to the resto to see their breakfast. Cocktails and food was sufficient during the evening session. The plunge pool offers some outstanding views too. The only thing I'd say could be a problem is the smallness of the lounge interior. I'd expect that during high season there's a risk of reaching capacity.

Thank you all for the comments, I inquired within and received the info regarding DSU's

Please be informed that our hotel has no suite category anymore, it changed the name to Deluxe 2 Bedroom. Therefore, Diamond Suite Upgarde Award is not available at our property anymore.

However, you are Diamond guest, you will get the best room available during your stay with us.
Can anyone give me guidance into what room that I should be expecting to get (One of the club ones I assume)?

Lastly, when going on day trips (Ao nang, phi phi, etc.) will this location be okay in terms of that? Not sure if they go off of a certain port or pickup place etc.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Has the taxi mafia situation improved since the coup? For me, that and the huge numbers of russian tourists are a big negative. Certainly YMMV however.

Lastly, when going on day trips (Ao nang, phi phi, etc.) will this location be okay in terms of that? Not sure if they go off of a certain port or pickup place etc.
I would not waste my time going to Ao Nang. It might have been nice ten years ago but has IMO been completely ruined with all the long-tail boat traffic. There is literally not a moment's peace and quiet.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Thank you all for the comments, I inquired within and received the info regarding DSU's

Can anyone give me guidance into what room that I should be expecting to get (One of the club ones I assume)?

Wow - I'm glad I booked rooms with DSUs when they were still offering them....
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Has the taxi mafia situation improved since the coup? For me, that and the huge numbers of russian tourists are a big negative. Certainly YMMV however.
I find any locale with a large number of tourists (regardless of nationality) to be a negative... which is why I tend to go to the heavily touristed places in the off season. And why I much prefer to travel through non-touristy areas.

Don't know about how far the taxi mafia has been dealt with. I tend to rent cars if there's any desire to move around a bit. The beaches I saw have been cleared of all the huts/shacks though and now it's just unobstructed sand and water.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:35 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I like the idea of the pools in the room. I understand that it is just a dipping pool. That is nice as well. Does the corner room have the pool? Lots of mosquitoes at night?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
How are Plat members treated?

We may have one night in HKT
Trying to decide which property to picK
GP-Plat, MR-gold, IHg-Plat
Nada with HH and SPG but plenty of points

ETA:Going first week of November

Last edited by windwalker; Oct 18, 2014 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Has anyone stayed at this property recently? Specifically, has anyone stayed at the 2 bedroom deluxe "room"? From the pictures, the 2 bedroom suite seems to have a large outdoor shaded balcony with great ocean view (far larger than the club deluxe ocean view), which still makes the 2 bedroom better than the club deluxe corner. What makes the 2 bedroom room undesirable?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:38 pm

How far is this property from the airport?
We arrive around 4:00pm, depart the next day at 10:40 am

Want to catch the sunset from a nice view/place-seems we could take the free shuttle to Kamala and that might work?

What should taxi fare be, to from airport?
and if we wanted to into Patong, just to see the crazy
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by windwalker
How far is this property from the airport?
We arrive around 4:00pm, depart the next day at 10:40 am

Want to catch the sunset from a nice view/place-seems we could take the free shuttle to Kamala and that might work?

What should taxi fare be, to from airport?
and if we wanted to into Patong, just to see the crazy
The hotel is likely 35 minutes minimum from the airport without any traffic. I'd budget an hour to be safe. I recall the fixed-price airport cars to Kamala being about 600 or 700 baht. A meter taxi would be a bit less if the driver knows where the hotel is and takes you there directly. I suggest googling some. Taxis in Phuket are a little different than most places in the world. I'd plan on taking in the sunset at the hotel if your timings are really good, particularly if you have checked luggage. Bear in mind that the hotel kind of faces north i.e. not direct sunset over water views. You could take a taxi home if you time the shuttle to get to Kamala town almost immediately after arriving at the hotel. I genuinely like the hotel and think the staff is awesome in terms of friendliness and hard-workingness despite many of the tripadvisor reviews I've seen. If you're overly worried about taxi costs, you'll likely leave a visit to Patong on a one-night stay at the Hyatt with regret.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:21 am

Abit

Thanks, not overly worried about taxis(just trying to get idea of "fair" price and not get abused)

Don't quite follow your last line, are you saying that a visit to Patong is not really worth the efforts?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.