Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: -
I would call back. When I was there a couple months ago I used a DSP.
Could be a new policy but I sort of doubt it.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
I called to see about using a DSU for my upcoming stay; however, the diamond line had advised me that the property does not take points or DSUs to upgrade stays. Any reason why?
I can't think of a reason. It's still not listed on hyatt.com as an excluded property:

excludes Hyatt Regency Kyoto, Hyatt Regency Paris-Madeleine, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa, Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa, Park Hyatt Sydney, Hyatt Santa Barbara, Hyatt Key WestResort and Spa, Hyatt Regency Wichita, Hyatt Regency Tulsa, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House or Hyatt Residence Club properties or M life Resorts.
Old May 26, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
I called to see about using a DSU for my upcoming stay; however, the diamond line had advised me that the property does not take points or DSUs to upgrade stays. Any reason why?
The management at the resort was switching the name of the Regency Suite to being a Family Suite. It has a great patio, Bedroom with small sitting area luggage area really nice bathroom but the 2nd bedroom attaches to the bathroom and many of the people that had this room complained. Management is working to move the Spa to a lower part of the resort and make those rooms true suites. If your diamond just email the rooms manager before you go and more than likely you will get a deluxe room.

When are you going?
Old May 26, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
I had no problem using a DSU for the end of this year, although I specifically wanted the "family" suite given that it allows me to have the kids in the same suite and avoids needing to take another room.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by Droch
The management at the resort was switching the name of the Regency Suite to being a Family Suite. It has a great patio, Bedroom with small sitting area luggage area really nice bathroom but the 2nd bedroom attaches to the bathroom and many of the people that had this room complained. Management is working to move the Spa to a lower part of the resort and make those rooms true suites. If your diamond just email the rooms manager before you go and more than likely you will get a deluxe room.

When are you going?
I will be going at end of October so it's a ways away. Just wanted to make sure I solidified the upgrade to accommodate the party.

Anyone know the email of the manager?

EDIT (05/29/2014): I called again tonight to see if I could use points/DSU to upgrade my stay. According to the rep, the resort is a partner hotel and doesn't participate in upgrades at this time. Strange as the site still lists it as such.

Last edited by KissFlyGoodbye; May 29, 2014 at 9:34 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Evening cocktail hour

Is there enough food/variety/quality for one to make dinner out of the food during the evening cocktail hour in the Club?

Are there restaurants within walking distance?

Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:24 pm

make dinner out of the food in the Club?

Originally Posted by 54austin
Is there enough food/variety/quality for one to make dinner out of the food during the evening cocktail hour in the Club?
Yes, about half the time...

On a few nights I felt happy (with drinks in me) with the food when they served the chicken Shish Kebab. We started with a martini, olives, cheese, etc, and then had the nice fresh salad layout and with the appetizers, salad, kebab and a glass of wine it was a satisfying meal.

On some nights they had calamari or some sort of pork sausage which I didn't like so much and those nights it really was just a less satisfying appetizer.

There are two restaurants on property, one up at the top of the hill, one at the bottom. When we visited the more expensive one at the top I requested surf and turf and my wife the tiger prawns. We were informed that they were out of tiger prawns. Nothing for my wife, no surf for me. That was the least satisfying day dinner-wise.

You might be able to walk to some other restaurants off-property but we did not do that.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtalstad
Yes, about half the time...

On a few nights I felt happy (with drinks in me) with the food when they served the chicken Shish Kebab. We started with a martini, olives, cheese, etc, and then had the nice fresh salad layout and with the appetizers, salad, kebab and a glass of wine it was a satisfying meal.

On some nights they had calamari or some sort of pork sausage which I didn't like so much and those nights it really was just a less satisfying appetizer.

There are two restaurants on property, one up at the top of the hill, one at the bottom. When we visited the more expensive one at the top I requested surf and turf and my wife the tiger prawns. We were informed that they were out of tiger prawns. Nothing for my wife, no surf for me. That was the least satisfying day dinner-wise.

You might be able to walk to some other restaurants off-property but we did not do that.
Thanks a lot for the thorough run down!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
We walked to have dinner in a much more luxurious hotel up the hill. I think I might have mentioned it upthread.

Yes, found it.

Originally Posted by Football Fan
There are also a few restaurants within walking distance (up the hill, 10-15 minutes - be careful, no sidewalk - you might want to take a tuk-tuk or something). We went to a restaurant called Silk (not cheap) in the very luxurious Andara resort and we quite liked it.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:44 pm

Interestingly, I got an email from the hotel indicating that the 2 bedroom suite has been "downgraded" from suite status and that there are no longer any "suites" at the hotel. Extra points/diamond certificates are to be refunded to those guests who had booked and used points/certs to upgrade. Not sure what happens if those certs had otherwise expired or what this means for the ability to uses diamond certs at this property in the future.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
The two-bedroom suite is now listed as a "Deluxe Two Bedroom." The maximum occupancy is three. Does anyone know if that used to be the case? It seems a touch disingenuous considering there is a double bed as well as two twin beds.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Impressed! Best Resort I have Stayed at in HKT

I'm in the middle of a 9-night stay at the resort, and I must say that I am impressed with the resort. I'm Hyatt Diamond (completing a diamond challenge) but have also stayed at Marriott, SPG, HI branded hotels in Phuket Island as a Platinum elite member in recent times.

1) No other hotel that I know of has an Executive Lounge in Phuket. Hyatt Regency Phuket has one, and the food options are on par if not better than the lounges in Bangkok...and the view, imho makes them the Best executive lounge in all of Thailand.
2) Breakfast was comped (although I'm not sure if this is standard) at my choice of Club Lounge or the Pool Buffet Breakfast...means together with the executive lounge in the evening food is mostly included. Even so, room service is very affordable most dishes around 300thb++
3) Service is excellent and responsive to feedback. I have a young child and suggested electrical socket protectors at Club Hyatt (kids club) and for padding below a slide, and the next day they magically appeared.

I'm sure with time this hotel will get better and better.

The hotel has a very unique design, it's situated on a steep hill, which means instead of an elevator most guests use electric buggies to travel to their room. I thought it was very cool, and offers most rooms very nice views but if you require wheelchair accessibility it might be a problem. I never waited longer than a minute for a buggy.

The hotel is in Kamala, meaning its closer than the Marriott resorts on Mai Khao Beach, and it's quicker to access the non-beach attractions on Phuket. Its nestled in a unique, yet quiet and peaceful area of Phuket

Beach/Pool:
The pool is nice, but it doesn't provide much shade. The pool is big, but smaller than the enormous resort-wide pools with waterslides you find at the Mai Khao or Khao Lak resorts. Similarly the beach is nice but Kamala isn't the most pristine beach in Phuket.

all in all, I think this hotel offers the best VALUE for elite members compared to the JW (mai khao and khao lak), Renaissance, Le Meridian, HIR and now converted Courtyards I have stayed at in the past. The location is great if you want a mix of nearby shops/restaurants, pool and beach all in one.

Staff and attention to detail put this hotel above others. Great job!
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:32 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The Westin Siray Bay's Club Lounge is on the Prego Moon Deck. Above their Italian restaurant they set up for 2 hours offering the full bar menu with the prices removed including Mojitos, Lychee Martinis, Passionfruit Margaritas etc. They also serve canapés.

Clearly, it's a SPG property but I consider it the best club lounge experience I have ever had.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by abitlost
The two-bedroom suite is now listed as a "Deluxe Two Bedroom." The maximum occupancy is three. Does anyone know if that used to be the case? It seems a touch disingenuous considering there is a double bed as well as two twin beds.
I have just had an exchange of emails with the property to confirm what this actually means. I agree that it's not entirely clear, but the property has confirmed that there is no issue with 2 adults / 2 kids or 2 adults/ 3 kids in a 2br. Perhaps the reference to 3 pax is to each bedroom?

There was some suggestion that some configurations have 2 king beds, but I understand that some definitely have 2 x twins in the second bedroom.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dtm1
I have just had an exchange of emails with the property to confirm what this actually means. I agree that it's not entirely clear, but the property has confirmed that there is no issue with 2 adults / 2 kids or 2 adults/ 3 kids in a 2br. Perhaps the reference to 3 pax is to each bedroom?

There was some suggestion that some configurations have 2 king beds, but I understand that some definitely have 2 x twins in the second bedroom.
Thank you very much for these data points, dtm1. I was actually wondering about 4 adults sharing. I'm aware that the suite design isn't ideal for friends sharing, but I'd rather sacrifice a touch of modesty or privacy if the alternative is buying two rooms. My plans are still vague, but I most appreciate the response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.