Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Phuket REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:58 pm

Thank you for the thorough review. When I started reading the thread I was wary because I am booked for the first week of April but now I am excited. Unless someone has another suggestion, I am sticking to the reservation. I booked for 4700 Baht per night and used one of my suite upgrades for the reservation. Hopefully, some of the kinks will be ironed out by the time I get there!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Thank you to the previous posters for their reviews.

I am wondering if anyone who has stayed there (or is there now) knows if the standard rooms can be connected (via direct door or otherwise) or if there are suites better suited for the purpose. I see from the website there is a Regency Suite which has 2 bed rooms; if anyone has experience of this, would love to hear from you too. I emailed the hotel directly but their response, while prompt, didn't answer the question.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
LoyalEagle, did you happen to take any pictures of the room itself? I think many of us here would really like to see the condition of the rooms.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 1:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold, Avis PC, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
LoyalEagle, did you happen to take any pictures of the room itself? I think many of us here would really like to see the condition of the rooms.
I did not take any pictures of the room because the pictures on the website looked exactly as shown, the only differences were the types of balconies.

http://phuket.regency.hyatt.com/en/h...ooms/view.html
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,

Great info guys , staying there Sun. To wed in club ocean . Will provide updates .
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Any suite review?

Booked here in March using a DSU but I recall reading in this thread that the front desk said the deluxe corner king room was better for couples. Has anyone stayed in a suite? If so can you please give an opinion. The corner rooms with outdoor day bed and a small pool might be better for us than a suite so I would like to know if someone can compare the two rooms.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:03 pm

Thumbs down Hyatt Regency Phuket Review (Check in)

Long anticipated holiday in Hyatt started with a tiresome taxi ride but the look of the hotel form outside made us feel better.. not for a long time..

So when we came at 22:50, there was nobody at the entrance to help us with the luggage and to greet us. Well, except for a pile of blue towels just meting us on the floor ok then, we wandered around on our own for a while, then we managed to find a gentleman from the reception who said hello to us and asked us to have a seat on a couch. Having asked for our passports and credit card he disappeared. We have waited for 15 minutes then approached him as there was a serious group of Chinese tourists constantly distracting him. (Note he was the only member of staff present) Ok, finally he managed to find the booking and we were preauthorised with the whole amount of money.

We specifically asked about the room type and were assured that we are getting everything right. Initially we booked a pool king ocean view and i wanted to make sure he got everything right.

Done with the check in, to sum it up, was a fuss and note that no wet towel or welcome drink was offered.

here comes the room.. described as a 64 sq m spacious room, it left us shocked when we entered - double bed, tv and tiny table on the corner - that was it. because nothing else can fit in there!!! so i asked the member of staff, where all the metres went but he kept on saying that we r in the right room.
i have to mention, that we a family of three expecting our second baby and my second question was: where am i to put my daughter? again, our gentleman was helpless.
finally i got a cal from reception with apologies and we were assured that tomorrow we will get a proper room. I really hope so because this room can only be perceived as a single one.

So far so bad.. I always thought that If a hotel has troubles with overbooking (due to chinese NY), it is not guest's problem and such a situation should be hold in a proper way like upgrading not DOWNgrading?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:24 am

The sea in one of the pictures looks really marshy- is that why everybody's emphasizing the pool, please illuminate me before I travel 9000 miles to end up by a marsh
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
The sea in one of the pictures looks really marshy- is that why everybody's emphasizing the pool, please illuminate me before I travel 9000 miles to end up by a marsh
The beach in front of the hotel is not usable at all (at least not before 3 p.m. or so). There are some nice beaches nearby, though.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Football Fan
The beach in front of the hotel is not usable at all (at least not before 3 p.m. or so).
You do realize that the tides change? So that 3pm for high tide isn't the same every day..... still doesn't look very attractive though. Something I would say for the hotel as a whole reading these reviews.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
As I understand it, the owner of this property is the same as PH Maldives. Hyatt didn't want to manage this property, but were encouraged to do so in order to gain access to some of the other properties with the same owner. Hopefully, the opening problems will be ironed out soon - not good to hear of these problems, especially somewhere like Phuket where there are so many options.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL, GFL, SQ PPS, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
GH Suite

All. Was scheduled to check-in yesterday to a 2 bed regency club suite. Our stay was only for 2 nights since we have a villa on Phuket but it was rented out for the last 2 days of our stay. The summary is that we stayed an hour and are now in the Andara resort very near to the Hyatt. It, by the way is fantastic. But back to the Hyatt;

Check-in took about 20 mins despite there being no-one else around. Very friendly staff however. Unfortunately the room did not work for us nor can I see it working for most people who need a 2 bed suite. We are a family of 3 plus a nanny. The main issue is the design of the room. There is no communal lounge area just a small alcove outside the main bedroom with a desk and small sofa. Thus if you want to watch the TV you need to sit on your bed. Not a massive deal but in a suite you typically expect a lounge type area. The biggest issues however is the lack of privacy to the bathroom which is situated between the 2 bedrooms. It is open to the main bedroom with only a thin blind to separate but that leaves gaps at each of the 2 sinks. Basically anyone coming in has a good view of the bed in the main bedroom. Now even with your own kids that may not be ideal but if it was adults e.g. relatives that would definitely not work. One final comment was that our view of the ocean was largely obstructed by bushes and trees.

I then tried to ask for connecting rooms but despite saying I would get a call back soon I got nothing in 20 mins. Called back again and was promised a response in 5 mins. Nothing came so I phoned the Andara who were able to accommodate us in a stunning 2 bed room. They did phone back eventually with the offer of connecting rooms but only after I had phoned saying we were checking out.

On the way out the rooms manager came over to say hi. He was very pleasant and perhaps could have saved the day had he got involved earlier.

In summary it was a nice looking resort though as others have said the beach is non existent. Where we are now they bus you to their own beach club on Kamala beach which works fine. Would suggest they Hyatt to do the same. Finally we were paying c $450 USD per night so I was not on any sort of deal. Notwithstanding the hotel has just opened but when you are paying high rates one expects things to be spot on. I also think a lot of this could have been avoided with better room descriptions on their website. A plan of the room etc.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Back from a quick one-night stay and this is definitely not an aspirational property: If you think Phuket and you think beach and palm trees, you won't find that here: There is no beach and the tranquility of the palm trees by the infinity pool is permanently disturbed by traffic: the buses and trucks you can even see because the infinity pool is only 2 meters above ground. The cars and motor bikes are still present: with noise. Far away from paradise.

I find the whole property too cramped with too little privacy: There are no villas here but only rooms grouped in apartment blocks and quite a number of rooms have limited views or share the balcony with the neighbors. The hotel is built into a very steep rock slope - buggy required.

Stayed at the Deluxe Pool King as shown on the internet and the corner rooms have enough privacy and offer lots of space. The bathrooms are modern and nicely designed. Having said that it should be noted that these rooms are always on the bottom of each block due to the fact that they feature the pool. The views are not perfect and most of these rooms are not really desirable.

Had a quick look at the Suite and don't think that's a very desirable room. Looks like the Deluxe Terrace Rooms are the best: they are on top of the buildings with great views - only the room itself is smaller and limited in space.

Hyatt Regency Club is the highlight: On top of the hotel, it features a spectacular view and they even had a grill station in the evening. The pool up there is perfect for relaxing - no street noise either :-)

The very best views is limited to the Spa treatment rooms. They are the highest rooms of the hotel and above the Club: views are magnificent!

The property is newly opened and service is not there yet - I think there is more training needed and more guests to practice with.

Given the pricing people might be disappointed and I am not sure who I would recommend this hotel to. I would give the hotel 4 stars but the overall concept doesn't excite me much.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by SMK77
Back from a quick one-night stay and this is definitely not an aspirational property: If you think Phuket and you think beach and palm trees, you won't find that here: There is no beach and the tranquility of the palm trees by the infinity pool is permanently disturbed by traffic: the buses and trucks you can even see because the infinity pool is only 2 meters above ground. The cars and motor bikes are still present: with noise. Far away from paradise.

I find the whole property too cramped with too little privacy: There are no villas here but only rooms grouped in apartment blocks and quite a number of rooms have limited views or share the balcony with the neighbors. The hotel is built into a very steep rock slope - buggy required.

Stayed at the Deluxe Pool King as shown on the internet and the corner rooms have enough privacy and offer lots of space. The bathrooms are modern and nicely designed. Having said that it should be noted that these rooms are always on the bottom of each block due to the fact that they feature the pool. The views are not perfect and most of these rooms are not really desirable.

Had a quick look at the Suite and don't think that's a very desirable room. Looks like the Deluxe Terrace Rooms are the best: they are on top of the buildings with great views - only the room itself is smaller and limited in space.

Hyatt Regency Club is the highlight: On top of the hotel, it features a spectacular view and they even had a grill station in the evening. The pool up there is perfect for relaxing - no street noise either :-)

The very best views is limited to the Spa treatment rooms. They are the highest rooms of the hotel and above the Club: views are magnificent!

The property is newly opened and service is not there yet - I think there is more training needed and more guests to practice with.

Given the pricing people might be disappointed and I am not sure who I would recommend this hotel to. I would give the hotel 4 stars but the overall concept doesn't excite me much.
Booked two nights in May at an average 3,800 THB. Should I cancel?
I want a view, no shared balcony and no street noise.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by suite2suite
Booked two nights in May at an average 3,800 THB. Should I cancel?
I want a view, no shared balcony and no street noise.
I would call them: Not sure what the standard upgrade is. Higher rooms are better and the corner rooms have the privacy that you might want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.