Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Permanent Diamond Status for Credit Card Holders [Targeted - In Error]

Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:54 am

Unreal. I guess that's the reward for suckers who were already Diamond and waste their time and money requalifying every year and already had the stupid CC from when they first released it.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66
Unreal. I guess that's the reward for suckers who were already Diamond and waste their time and money requalifying every year and already had the stupid CC from when they first released it.
I feel the same way. As someone who travels mostly on their own dime, and has maintained Diamond for a long time, and has used the credit card to the tune of a lot of money, I think I just can't justify my so called loyalty anymore. Didn't get any 25 or 50 unique hotels bonus, even though by my count we've done over 90, many international. Didn't get any "we like you as a CC user, so here are some more points," probably because we actually used the card, getting crappier suites or suites no longer available when we want them, probably because of the dilution of the program, and now this.

10 - 15 grand out of pocket to maintain diamond every year, staying at out of the way hyatts when better options are available. While I understand that Hyatt may be slightly "better" than other programs these days, I have the sense like some others that this promotion was just another incident of special sauce that was meant to be private (what a silly notion in this age) and that word got out. I am not using the credit card or any chase-related product, just to see what happens in the next few months . . .

Yeah. I'm happy for the folks who literally got something for nothing, but for those of us who have consistently given something (and by that, I mean a lot) and have gotten less and less in return, it's getting really hard to justify what we spend . . .
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by antonius66
They put themselves in a no-win situation, as they would be attacked regardless of how they handled it.

But I would think that the "case by case" handling would leave them even more vulnerable to a lawsuit, as there is now a precedent for them honoring the deal, and there was no language on the offer page restricting the offer to those targeted.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:32 am

Good luck.

Last edited by dpmays; Nov 21, 2013 at 7:05 am
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Honestly, and I may get some fire for alluding to this. Diamonds were the only one targeted in this promotion, and it was emailed specifically to Diamonds which has a profile that Hyatt was targeting.

The logic is, a lot of Diamonds are ticked off about the Challenge able to be redone over and over. Perhaps, Hyatt did mean to target Diamonds. Has anyone try to apply after the fact, the error announcement is made. The link still looks active last I looked. Of course, you'll have to apply through the email you received for the offer to be honored. Diamonds maintaining Diamond makes sense. Its rewarding your loyalty.

I'm in Canada, so I don't get this opportunity.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:50 am

Those who got the call and retained proof of applying under the lifetime Diamond terms - what time of day (pre-retraction) do your records show you applied?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: A few
so for everyone that posted over the weekend their weekend lawyers commentary, their "no way will they honor this" posts, their "no way are they obliged to do anything" posts, their absolutely stupid "this is a hoax" posts, their "loyaltylobby is doing this to get credit card commissions" posts, are you all going to come out and say "sorry, I was completely wrong"???? Anybody.... ??? Anybody ... ???

Nah thought not. But y'all did provide a lot of entertainment over the weekend.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
They put themselves in a no-win situation, as they would be attacked regardless of how they handled it.

But I would think that the "case by case" handling would leave them even more vulnerable to a lawsuit, as there is now a precedent for them honoring the deal, and there was no language on the offer page restricting the offer to those targeted.
I think it was a bit foolish for them to do this too. The offer was never a targeted offer since it was an error to begin with; hence, the no restriction clause that's associated with targeted offers.

I'm no arm-chair lawyer so I don't want to speculate, but given how regulated the credit card industry is it seems like Chase/Hyatt are in a bit of a bind.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
so for everyone that posted over the weekend their weekend lawyers commentary, their "no way will they honor this" posts, their "no way are they obliged to do anything" posts, their absolutely stupid "this is a hoax" posts, their "loyaltylobby is doing this to get credit card commissions" posts, are you all going to come out and say "sorry, I was completely wrong"???? Anybody.... ??? Anybody ... ???

Nah thought not. But y'all did provide a lot of entertainment over the weekend.
You have a point, but it looks like Diamonds who are targeted with the offer email that this is offer is being honoured, not the mass public.

Doesn't make sense for a Diamond to sign up for the Hyatt Chase card to get Platinum status. Outcome remains to be seen, but I'm fine with Diamonds rewarded for their loyalty.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
You have a point, but it looks like Diamonds who are targeted with the offer email that this is offer is being honoured, not the mass public.

Doesn't make sense for a Diamond to sign up for the Hyatt Chase card to get Platinum status. Outcome remains to be seen, but I'm fine with Diamonds rewarded for their loyalty.
I deliberately did not post over the weekend as I was swinging between laughing and crying at some of the stupid stuff being put in here.

The outcome was very good for me, and I think a rational debate about whether it is good or bad for the program is fine, but everything ranging from the stupid (it's a hoax!), the ignorant (I'm no lawyer BUT....) and the insulting (John O at LoyaltyLobby is doing it for money) had no place in the discussion. And nobody that engaged in that will have the decency to come forward and say they were wrong.

Last edited by ma91pmh; Nov 21, 2013 at 9:11 am
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by hailstorm

So are they only not honoring it for the people who didn't receive the targeted email?

Did some/any of the piggy backers get the status as well?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:53 am

I am curious to hear from anyone who wasn't diamond, never received the email, but still clicked through the link and applied for the card before it was retracted. Did Hyatt honor the lifetime diamond benefit to those people?

Last edited by MrBill64; Nov 21, 2013 at 9:56 am Reason: Meant to say "diamond" instead of platinum
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Hello! I AM diamond, did not receive the e-mail, but am able to get the link for me. Is it too late too apply? Is it still worth it?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whatmakes
Hello! I AM diamond, did not receive the e-mail, but am able to get the link for me. Is it too late too apply? Is it still worth it?
I can't believe they haven't shut down the link to this offer yet. Is their IT department that incompetent?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bacopa
I can't believe they haven't shut down the link to this offer yet. Is their IT department that incompetent?
Should I apply? It's been 85 days since my last Chase application? What's the likelihood they will honor it since I was not targeted but AM Diamond?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.