FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

canyonleo Nov 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by canuckshark (Post 23914025)
We just got back from a great vacation - 11/20 through 11/26:

- I would not recommend the Monkeypod - overpriced mediocre food - really poor value

Organic and locally sourced (for items that would otherwise come from off-island) would always cost more... I don't love the place but are you saying once you take that into consideration it's overpriced for Wailea?

Myself, I'm happy at the mom & pop plate and ethnic type places (or picnic-ing with poke and wakame from the market)... but I do think Monkeypod is good for what it is.

DFW_CK Nov 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 23915214)
Organic and locally sourced (for items that would otherwise come from off-island) would always cost more... I don't love the place but are you saying once you take that into consideration it's overpriced for Wailea?

Myself, I'm happy at the mom & pop plate and ethnic type places (or picnic-ing with poke and wakame from the market)... but I do think Monkeypod is good for what it is.

My opinion is that it is overpriced - specially when you consider the meagre portion sizes - example is the $20 appetizer of 3 poke tacos. Absolutely ridiculous.

ZBigFam Nov 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Heading there in a couple of weeks any suggestions for larger portion sized places to eat? I have a couple of teenagers that will eat me off budget if I'm not careful.

DFW_CK Nov 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23916710)
Heading there in a couple of weeks any suggestions for larger portion sized places to eat? I have a couple of teenagers that will eat me off budget if I'm not careful.

If you are a Hyatt Diamond your breakfasts at the Ka'ana kitchen will be covered; even the pared down version is substantial.

Fabiani's is good mom/pop Italian joint - we did both lunch and dinner and thoroughly enjoyed the food

We found a good pseudo Greek place called Pita Paradise in Wailea - Yelp for it.

Get ready to break the bank; you just need to get used to high prices if you are visiting the islands for the first time. It was the case with me.

sam_goh Nov 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Yelp up some food trucks as well as what is in Kihei. We found the plates at Da Kitchen to be a good value (cheaper than the airport location).

karung99 Nov 30, 2014 6:06 am

Stop by Costco right from airport, this is the best way to save money for big family, there is several great places to eat near by the property that price reasonable.

jayer Nov 30, 2014 8:22 am

Da Kitchen. Good local with large portions. Enough food non-teenagers might even split.

Coconuts Fish Cafe.

Both have locations in Kihei.

CanfordCliffs Nov 30, 2014 9:58 am

There is a supermarket in the Wailea Mall, very cheap for snacks and sandwiches so a good option for cheap food during the day...

canyonleo Dec 1, 2014 10:32 am

There are tons of value-priced spots in Kihei, including nice mom & pop (nothing fancy, food is good, location/ambiance might be less than stellar) plate lunch type spots (Da Kitchen is one, but their are many comparable or better), Thai/Vietnamese/Korean/Japanese restaurants, food truck or two, etc. These places are actually cheaper than their peers in places like SF I will claim.

Read up on Yelp with searches like "plate lunch", "Hawaiian", "Thai", etc.

If you like to hit places all over the island (e.g. Hana, Hookeepa, West, etc.) then plan your trip to include a local spot in that or enroute to that location, there are many options.

ZBigFam Dec 1, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations. Will report back in the new year. Been trying to book a suite with points and been checking EVERY day to no avail. A bit discouraging. Anyone had success at applying additional points to an award stay upon arrival for a suite upgrade?

TheFlyersRule Dec 1, 2014 2:32 pm

For Breakfast, Kihei Caffe is the place to go. Food was awesome. Ate there 3 times one week and was stuffed. (CASH ONLY)

Cafe O Lei (Kihei) was very good for Dinner. Crab Cakes were great.

Bistro 808 (Kihei) has very good sandwhiches/Paninis. They have a take out up front where you can grab and go or sit down out back.

Sensai for Sushi Dinner was pretty good. They have Happy Hour a few days a week.

Monkeypod is good for Happy Hour late night.

Little expensive but Japenga at the Hyatt in Lahaina was good.

There are some many places to eat all over. Just search yelp or tripadvisor

thrillhouse763 Dec 1, 2014 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 23868485)
An alternative option to using the hotel valet. If you're doing a stay soon PM me and I'll send you details.

I will be here early February. Would love details if you are still offering.

mrlarryj Dec 1, 2014 8:10 pm

I will be there in mid February, and I would like info on skipping valet also. THANKS

hailstorm Dec 1, 2014 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by mrlarryj (Post 23926970)
I will be there in mid February, and I would like info on skipping valet also. THANKS

Originally Posted by thrillhouse763 (Post 23925614)
I will be here early February. Would love details if you are still offering.

To send a private message to canyonleo, simpy click on his username, which will bring up a menu allowing you to select the option to do so.

canyonleo Dec 2, 2014 8:19 am

PMs sent, thanks HS.