FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

canyonleo Dec 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 24025483)
I also require free breakfast. :p

DYKWIA, now Diamonds will ruin Little Beach :D

sam_goh Dec 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 24022201)
Let me know if you find a way to make that happen!

I have a plan, includes free breakfast (and lunch and dinner) and free stay too. But pretty sure myself nor the taxpayers would earn points, so I'm kind of torn :)

ZBigFam Dec 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Just checked out. Kihei option worked flawlessly. Thank you canyonleo!!!

Will post detailed reviews on yelp and TripAdvisor. Overall what a wonderful stay. The kids did miss the basketball and ping pong at the Hyatt regency but the service at the Andaz was incredible. I don't think that the full buffet is really worth the upcharge. We tried it one morning and we thought the extra hot items weren't worth the up charge. The best thing on the buffet in my opinion are the yogurt parfaits omg.

We will be back if I can manufacture enough points!!! Thanks everyone for your help.Z

sscott77 Dec 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Slight changes to Diamond Breakfast, trip#2 to Andaz Maui

Just returned from my second stay at the Andaz Maui this year. Both were very good. My first was in July and we were very pleasantly surprised at how great the resort was.

During the first trip, we loved the Hyatt Diamond breakfast, which included anything and everything on the buffet breakfast. (There may have been the option to order off the menu, but we went for the full breakfast, which was amazing!)

We were very pleasantly surprised when we returned this month, our waiter immediately remembered us, details of our conversations from last time, etc. Very impressive. We had the full breakfast again for the entire stay.

On the last day, we had a different waitress who informed us that the Diamond breakfast only included the cold "pantry" and nothing hot, omelet station, etc. and that our bill would be something like $60 for the additional items...what!?

Without getting into the details of how the restaurant makes money, this seems ridiculous. Why only offer part of the breakfast as a Diamond Benefit? I had over 60 nights in Hyatts this year, many without eating breakfast of any sort. This cheapens the benefit and the experience overall. It has a "nickel and dime" effect. Are there really so many diamond members overeating to the point where we are breaking the bank? Hopefully Hyatt will rethink this approach.

oc2005 Dec 24, 2014 12:56 am

Originally Posted by sscott77 (Post 24045223)
Just returned from my second stay at the Andaz Maui this year. Both were very good. My first was in July and we were very pleasantly surprised at how great the resort was.

During the first trip, we loved the Hyatt Diamond breakfast, which included anything and everything on the buffet breakfast. (There may have been the option to order off the menu, but we went for the full breakfast, which was amazing!)

We were very pleasantly surprised when we returned this month, our waiter immediately remembered us, details of our conversations from last time, etc. Very impressive. We had the full breakfast again for the entire stay.

On the last day, we had a different waitress who informed us that the Diamond breakfast only included the cold "pantry" and nothing hot, omelet station, etc. and that our bill would be something like $60 for the additional items...what!?

Without getting into the details of how the restaurant makes money, this seems ridiculous. Why only offer part of the breakfast as a Diamond Benefit? I had over 60 nights in Hyatts this year, many without eating breakfast of any sort. This cheapens the benefit and the experience overall. It has a "nickel and dime" effect. Are there really so many diamond members overeating to the point where we are breaking the bank? Hopefully Hyatt will rethink this approach.

You weren't sitting outside at a table for 2 on the morning of 12/22 when the waitress informed you, were you? I overheard this happening to someone then, so if not, there seems to be confusion with other Diamonds about the new policy!

Yeah it is a head scratching new policy -- it allows Diamonds to only get the cold buffet (which also does includes an egg dish at the buffet plus one hot side item off the menu, plus coffee and choice between 3 juices). While I still enjoy the remaining items still included, this policy seems to be almost intentionally snubbing Diamonds for what is likely a very minor cost savings to the hotel.

My bigger complaint is the suites they give Diamonds now -- last year at the same time period, I had a fantastic top floor ocean view suite -- this year, they would only give me a first floor suite with absolutely no ocean view, even when I had (and currently have) noise problems from the room above. I almost get the impression that the hotel is trying to get Diamonds not to stay here! Everything else about the hotel is still great (other than the noise issues we're having and a lack of any resolution to them), but they seem to be doing just about the bare minimum for Diamonds these days.

JetAway Dec 24, 2014 6:24 am

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 24045556)
You weren't sitting outside at a table for 2 on the morning of 12/22 when the waitress informed you, were you? I overheard this happening to someone then, so if not, there seems to be confusion with other Diamonds about the new policy!

Yeah it is a head scratching new policy -- it allows Diamonds to only get the cold buffet (which also does includes an egg dish at the buffet plus one hot side item off the menu, plus coffee and choice between 3 juices). While I still enjoy the remaining items still included, this policy seems to be almost intentionally snubbing Diamonds for what is likely a very minor cost savings to the hotel.

My bigger complaint is the suites they give Diamonds now -- last year at the same time period, I had a fantastic top floor ocean view suite -- this year, they would only give me a first floor suite with absolutely no ocean view, even when I had (and currently have) noise problems from the room above. I almost get the impression that the hotel is trying to get Diamonds not to stay here! Everything else about the hotel is still great (other than the noise issues we're having and a lack of any resolution to them), but they seem to be doing just about the bare minimum for Diamonds these days.

On my recent stay (using a DSU on a full paid rate) I was given a first floor no view suite--very dark and dreary--but after a "discussion" with the front desk they found me a lovely ocean view suite higher up. I had no problem with the Pantry Breakfast as it included pretty much what I eat for breakfast anyway. They could have saved themselves a headache by calling that meal 'Breakfast" and the mega-breakfast "Brunch," thereby fully meeting their HGP obligations with the smaller buffet. I do think they are trying to capitalize on their "new kid on the block" status, even if it means offending some long-term Hyatt loyalists. But of course, they won't always be the new kid so they may come to regret that policy. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my stay, the staff and the weather were wonderful and, after the Four Seasons, The Andaz is easily the best hotel in Wailea.

hailstorm Dec 24, 2014 6:55 am

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 24046206)
On my recent stay (using a DSU on a full paid rate) I was given a first floor no view suite--very dark and dreary--

Was this a pool suite? We had a pool suite the first two nights, then moved to a seventh floor partial ocean view the last night in anticipation of Hurricane Iselle. We all preferred the pool suite...it felt much bigger with the floor level deck and the virtually private pool (only saw someone else in it one time)

JetAway Dec 24, 2014 7:39 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 24046320)
Was this a pool suite? We had a pool suite the first two nights, then moved to a seventh floor partial ocean view the last night in anticipation of Hurricane Iselle. We all preferred the pool suite...it felt much bigger with the floor level deck and the virtually private pool (only saw someone else in it one time)

No, it had a small lanai with only a view of the back of the adjacent villas. No direct access to the adult pool. Easily the worst suite in the hotel.

canyonleo Dec 24, 2014 7:48 am

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 24046476)
No, it had a small lanai with only a view of the back of the adjacent villas. No direct access to the adult pool. Easily the worst suite in the hotel.

No, the worst suite in the hotel is the one with a view (and smell?) of the sewer drain, it's the first room to the right coming off the elevator in the wing that juts out towards the beach (as opposed to the two wings that each are parallel to the beach). No view and dark... oh, one can walk out to a "private" pool ("private" because not many would want to use it, except for the privacy of it).

...not that they don't have a few suites that are not so nice (other than by size)... I gladly "downgraded" to a regular room with a view.

jpdx Dec 24, 2014 8:00 am

I'm not a breakfast person, so I initially thought of this as a theoretical problem -- a slippery slope, an invitation to other Hyatt properties to offer similarly limited breakfasts as Diamond benefit. Before our recent stay (6 nights over Thanksgiving), I had glanced at the discussion in this thread, and assumed all was (fairly) well. I think it's important to point out that, despite the still frequent praises in this thread, experienced travelers will find this breakfast very limited, especially if staying for more than a few days. What's availabe is by no means a "full" breakfast; the offering is comparable to a good domestic club lounge, and inferior to many lounges in other parts of the world. The selection never changes -- fresh fruit, a giant bowl with egg, oatmeal, some cereals and breads, a small selection of cheeses, and salmon. The menu promises "cured fish and meats," but on five days of our stay, no meats were available (on the first day there were a few slices of salami). In the past, different types of smoked fish were available, but most recently, nothing but salmon. Now, it's all tasty and well presented, but that doesn't change the fact that despite the rave comments, it's a rather limited selection. The hotel is still a great option on Maui, and we've enjoyed all of our stays, but I think it's important to go in with the right expectations; if you're a breakfast fan and trust the "it's the best breakfast I've ever had at a hotel" comments on this thread, you'll be disappointed.

jpdx Dec 24, 2014 8:07 am

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 24046476)

We had friends staying in that suite this summer, and it was bad. And, as canyonleo says, the very first "private pool" suite is bad, as well. I've twice been lucky to have high floor x39 and x40 suites, one low floor x39, and one ground floor x38. The latter has a very large patio and feels much more bright and airy, and IMO is preferable to a low floor x39/40. I've asked this many pages back; is there anyone who has a comprehensive understanding of where the suites are located and which ones are best avoided?

JetAway Dec 24, 2014 8:53 am

Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 24046616)
We had friends staying in that suite this summer, and it was bad. And, as canyonleo says, the very first "private pool" suite is bad, as well. I've twice been lucky to have high floor x39 and x40 suites, one low floor x39, and one ground floor x38. The latter has a very large patio and feels much more bright and airy, and IMO is preferable to a low floor x39/40. I've asked this many pages back; is there anyone who has a comprehensive understanding of where the suites are located and which ones are best avoided?

I was surprised-and disappointed-to be given this suite as a long-time Diamond on a paid rate, especially since alternatives were available. Things worked out fine but I would like to have avoided that "visit to the front desk" step. I'm only guessing but perhaps the owners are feeling pressure to see some immediate return on what was obviously a big investment and loyalty program rules and benefits are not the highest priority.

ZBigFam Dec 24, 2014 10:23 am

I was upgraded to a suite on the the floor that was partial ocean view. 318 is the room that we were in. We liked it, it had easier beach access. Views were only partial but with 6 kids we aren't looking out the window much.

jepiv Dec 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Either the GM and corporate aren't in sync, or something has changed. I was just able to book C+P at this hotel with confirmed suite upgrade next year. This is an update to my post #1512.

1fan Dec 26, 2014 4:56 pm

I called the hotel direct a few days ago to see about P+cash they saidn the hotel was not participating in P+C. I have a room book for march P+C with a suite upgrade