FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

canyonleo Nov 16, 2015 10:58 pm

We did Dumps a couple of days, but Ahihi Cove is just too beat up now to be good. We tried La Perouse (and Dumps) on some other days but the swell was just too big to get in (but the surfing was probably good).

RedTeam10 Nov 21, 2015 9:49 am

Any chance at an upgrade from a Garden View (paid with points no status) the first week of December? Any suggestions on how to obtain the upgrade, aside from just asking when checking in?

JetAway Nov 21, 2015 11:21 am

Originally Posted by RedTeam10 (Post 25750868)
Any chance at an upgrade from a Garden View (paid with points no status) the first week of December? Any suggestions on how to obtain the upgrade, aside from just asking when checking in?

With this particular hotel even Diamonds rarely, if ever, get upgrades on points stays. Asking for a complimentary upgrade will likely elicit outbursts of aloha mirth; cash is king.

Goonie Nov 21, 2015 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 25715605)
Can you elaborate on why you prefer the Andaz over the FS and RC (now Montage)? Did you stay at those on the same trip or on previous trips? If previous, how long ago? Thanks!

I am booked for Thanksgiving 2016 at the Andaz for the Maui Invitational Basketball Tournament. The Montage Kapalua is closer to Lahaina, and we loved the Kapalua area and bay/beach on a stay at a property there that no longer exists. But can't book the Montage this far out. We are fans of FS, but have had mixed experiences in Hawaii at Hualalai and Manele Bay. Any details you can provide as to what you liked better about the Andaz will be greatly appreciated!

The Ritz is still the Ritz. It's huge and always pretty empty. The beach is far away but the pools are nice. Over all it's ok. Not terrible by any means but you get bored after a couple days at the resort.

The FS is very nice but everything is cramped. The pools are meh. Beach is great.

I like the layout of the andaz the best on Maui.

Nothing compares to the grand Hyatt on Kauai tho.

Isn't there a resort in Lahaina? Maybe one of the resorts on black rock beach since it's close to Lahaina.

bhrubin Nov 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Goonie (Post 25752578)
The Ritz is still the Ritz. It's huge and always pretty empty. The beach is far away but the pools are nice. Over all it's ok. Not terrible by any means but you get bored after a couple days at the resort.

The FS is very nice but everything is cramped. The pools are meh. Beach is great.

I like the layout of the andaz the best on Maui.

Thanks, we are planning to stick with the Andaz Suite. Seems like the best bet for us, even though it's farther from Lahaina for me to see the UNC games. I'll deal.

I don't quite agree. It's a nice property, I agree. Beautiful beach, but tough to swim there due to rip currents. Great pool. But it also can feel a bit tired and a bit cramped when its at high occupancy. For service on Kaua'i, there just isn't any comparison to the St Regis, IMO.

Isn't there a resort in Lahaina? Maybe one of the resorts on black rock beach since it's close to Lahaina.
There are the regular culprits--Sheraton, Westin, Marriott, blah blah blah. Nothing even remotely interesting or close to luxury. The Montage/RC in Kapalua are the closest luxury properties--but still 20-30 min drive. The Andaz/FS are both about 45 min drive from Lahaina. That's fine for me, since my husband won't even come with me to the games. Too gay. :D

Kacee Nov 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Goonie (Post 25752578)

The Ko'a Kea next door is far nicer. Not that I'd go out of my way to stay at either.

RedTeam10 Nov 21, 2015 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 25751227)
...cash is king.

Just to clarify, do you mean slipping the front desk $50 when checking in or paying the rate differential on a better room?

josephstern Nov 22, 2015 12:05 am

I have to agree with the disagreement of the GH Kauai. Can't swim at the beach? I could have been in Palm Springs. Won't go back.

Goonie Nov 22, 2015 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25753524)
The Ko'a Kea next door is far nicer. Not that I'd go out of my way to stay at either.

We've stayed at Koa Kea. I don't know why it's ranked #1 in that area. It's a motel.

I agree about the GH beach is meh but the scenery and atmosphere are amazing. Regis doesn't feel like Hawaii to me.

You can really go wrong at Ritz FS or Andaz. I'm sure you'd enjoy them all. I think I'm getting too picky having stayed at most resorts on Maui and Kauai. ;)

JetAway Nov 22, 2015 5:43 am

Originally Posted by RedTeam10 (Post 25753736)
Just to clarify, do you mean slipping the front desk $50 when checking in or paying the rate differential on a better room?

Paying the rate differential.

Kacee Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Goonie (Post 25754141)
We've stayed at Koa Kea. I don't know why it's ranked #1 in that area. It's a motel.

Because it's so much classier than GH and doesn't feel like the Disneyland Hotel.

But as I said, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay at either property. Poipu is way too package-touristy and the best beaches are all on the other side of the island.

josephstern Nov 22, 2015 5:36 pm

At Koa Kea, Red Salt was pretty good.

Goonie Nov 23, 2015 6:36 am

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 25756794)
At Koa Kea, Red Salt was pretty good.

Beach house... Mmmmmmmmm.

peteropny Nov 23, 2015 8:12 am

Ummm some off topic discussion is ok but this is a bit excessive since the discussion isn't even about Maui but Kauai. Please discontinue or move to the GH Kauai thread. Thanks!!

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt

canyonleo Nov 23, 2015 10:09 am

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 25751227)
With this particular hotel even Diamonds rarely, if ever, get upgrades on points stays. Asking for a complimentary upgrade will likely elicit outbursts of aloha mirth; cash is king.

All my stays are points only, no cash (barely even any F&B) and I'm always upgraded as a Diamond. Of course, I contact a front office manager ahead of my visit to discuss situation (turnover, occupancy, length of stay, blocking), and they remember me from past stays (even a year ago, the long-term employees do a great job here).

Most recent stay I was upgraded to a south facing room (over the main pools) on a high floor on the middle wing (one not parallel to the coast line).