FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

hailstorm Dec 8, 14 2:41 pm


Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 23962626)
It should be noted that while the property is absolutely beautiful and the service 5-stars, the rooms Diamonds are assigned to are definitely three star quality. Nothing special about them at all. So it is my opinion that if you don't plan on being in the room much, it's fine, but, especially in the winter months when it gets dark early, I wouldn't stay at this hotel UNLESS I was upgrading to a suite.

+1. This place is not so special UNLESS you are staying in the suite.

ZBigFam Dec 8, 14 3:50 pm


Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 23963406)
+1. This place is not so special UNLESS you are staying in the suite.

just my luck then..i have two rooms booked here for 5 nights...was originally at the HR but reviews were middling at best....so now I am stuck as its non refundable and i have had zero success at upgrading one of those rooms to a suite.

Andrea Waters Dec 8, 14 4:22 pm


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23963814)
just my luck then..i have two rooms booked here for 5 nights...was originally at the HR but reviews were middling at best....so now I am stuck as its non refundable and i have had zero success at upgrading one of those rooms to a suite.

I think you'll still enjoy it. I am not a fan of the Andaz brand in general, so I avoid them after having had several mediocre experiences. I think you can still have a nice time as long as you are expecting an okay, faux luxury room in a beautiful setting. If you're expecting something like the Four Seasons or a true luxury resort, you will be disappointed. Anywhere in Maui in December is still better than most places in the United States in December.

thucanhho Dec 8, 14 6:10 pm


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23963814)
just my luck then..i have two rooms booked here for 5 nights...was originally at the HR but reviews were middling at best....so now I am stuck as its non refundable and i have had zero success at upgrading one of those rooms to a suite.

Yes...just think of me freezing in the midwest and a nonsuite room will be great!:D Good luck on last minute suite cancellation up to checkin.

sam_goh Dec 8, 14 7:17 pm


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23963814)
just my luck then..i have two rooms booked here for 5 nights...was originally at the HR but reviews were middling at best....so now I am stuck as its non refundable and i have had zero success at upgrading one of those rooms to a suite.

Unfortunately my experience with this property last year was either you book early (300+ days out), or you are ready to wardial GHP the last possible cancel date. This year though, with the non-refundable reservation stuff, even wardialing at the 21-30 day cancel date wouldn't work :/

Personally like some of the posters have mentioned above, try and see the bright side. You're going to be in Hawaii in December. Rooms won't be huge, but the property is nice. We split our time between here and the HR, and I just wanted to point out that if you have the right expectations (large family-oriented big crowded chain hotel), the HR is actually pretty nice. My family has a better time there in that location too.

canyonleo Dec 8, 14 9:31 pm


Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me (Post 23962626)
It should be noted that while the property is absolutely beautiful and the service 5-stars, the rooms Diamonds are assigned to are definitely three star quality. Nothing special about them at all. So it is my opinion that if you don't plan on being in the room much, it's fine, but, especially in the winter months when it gets dark early, I wouldn't stay at this hotel UNLESS I was upgrading to a suite.

Winter months?? Maui is close (relatively) to the equator, sunset only varies by a little over an hour from Solstice to Equinox (that is, the earliest sunset of the year is around 6p, and the latest is around 7p, for the entire year) - it's not the Midwest where there's a four hour variance.

I agree the rooms are at best 3* (ok, a suite can be nice) - but the property is nice, and the location is stellar (the beach and reefs are among the best on the island, for a commercially developed location).

canyonleo Dec 8, 14 9:33 pm


Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 23963406)
+1. This place is not so special UNLESS you are staying in the suite.

The building (rooms) is not so special... but the location is stellar, views great, smallness of the property nice if one likes that compared to the large properties that almost have a Vegas feel, the beach and reefs great, the breakfast still nice (and great for a regular guest that pays for it)...

I'll agree with HS if we say the "hotel experience" is not special... but the "place" has some very special (on a par with others, not really better than some others) qualities for Maui.

ZBigFam Dec 8, 14 9:48 pm


Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 23964732)
Unfortunately my experience with this property last year was either you book early (300+ days out), or you are ready to wardial GHP the last possible cancel date. This year though, with the non-refundable reservation stuff, even wardialing at the 21-30 day cancel date wouldn't work :/

Personally like some of the posters have mentioned above, try and see the bright side. You're going to be in Hawaii in December. Rooms won't be huge, but the property is nice. We split our time between here and the HR, and I just wanted to point out that if you have the right expectations (large family-oriented big crowded chain hotel), the HR is actually pretty nice. My family has a better time there in that location too.

Thanks for putting it into perspective, didn't mean to sound like an entitled snob! Am truly blessed to enjoy maui especially at this time of the year (we live in the Midwest).

peteropny Dec 9, 14 7:38 am


Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 23965252)
I agree the rooms are at best 3* (ok, a suite can be nice) - but the property is nice, and the location is stellar (the beach and reefs are among the best on the island, for a commercially developed location).

I would say that the rooms are a bit better than 3*, perhaps 4*. Yes some of the furniture doesn't look very upscale but that is the image of Andaz, rather quirky and modern.

thucanhho Dec 9, 14 8:21 am


Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 23965303)
didn't mean to sound like an entitled snob!

I would think that everyone understands a family of 8 would want as much space as possible so a vacation would actually feel like a vacation. DSUs are more important to me than ever when traveling with my family and I only have 2 kids. Having a suite allows me not to have the same bedtime as my kids (and feeling punished) when I normally like to stay up long past midnight.

I think we are trying to help to you see the sunny side (pun intended) since it's starting to look like your chance of an upgrade at this point is slim.

TheFlyersRule Dec 9, 14 8:46 am


Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 23963406)
+1. This place is not so special UNLESS you are staying in the suite.

We didn't stay in a suite and still thought this place was fantastic!

ashap Dec 10, 14 6:17 am


Originally Posted by Andrea Waters (Post 23963977)
Quote:


I think you'll still enjoy it. I am not a fan of the Andaz brand in general, so I avoid them after having had several mediocre experiences. I think you can still have a nice time as long as you are expecting an okay, faux luxury room in a beautiful setting. If you're expecting something like the Four Seasons or a true luxury resort, you will be disappointed. Anywhere in Maui in December is still better than most places in the United States in December.

I have a stay coming up in about a month and I'm starting to feel like I made the wrong decision by staying here. I'm definitely more a 4S traveler, rather than a quirky traveler.

Couple questions:
- is it true they actually play music at the pools? If they do can anyone chime in on type of music and volume (ambient vs. Annoying?)

- do they offer various sunscreens for the guests poised all day?

- what's the earliest I can get a cocktail poolside in the morning?

Thanks!!

salvag Dec 10, 14 7:03 am


Originally Posted by ashap (Post 23972970)
I have a stay coming up in about a month and I'm starting to feel like I made the wrong decision by staying here. I'm definitely more a 4S traveler, rather than a quirky traveler.

Couple questions:
- is it true they actually play music at the pools? If they do can anyone chime in on type of music and volume (ambient vs. Annoying?)

- do they offer various sunscreens for the guests poised all day?

- what's the earliest I can get a cocktail poolside in the morning?

Thanks!!

Chill out and stop regretting. It's one of the best properties on the island.
1. Yes there's music and no it's not annoying
2. Yes there's sunscreen and it's free
3. Breakfast?

ashap Dec 10, 14 10:20 am


Originally Posted by salvag (Post 23973155)
Chill out and stop regretting. It's one of the best properties on the island.
1. Yes there's music and no it's not annoying
2. Yes there's sunscreen and it's free
3. Breakfast?

haha well I've stayed at the best place on the island so I'm worried and the reviews I've been reading are indicating a young, unprofessional staff not well suited to a luxury experience.

I find any and all music at a pool location to be annoying so I'm very curious as it what it is exactly that they play and the volume.

Neither my husband or I do breakfast which is why I was asking about the pool bar/area for cocktails specifically.

Thanks again!

Buster CT1K Dec 10, 14 10:41 am

The adults-only quiet pool is truly quiet.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:46 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.