FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1499414-andaz-maui-review-master-thread.html)

m0hamed Dec 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by jepiv (Post 24056272)
Either the GM and corporate aren't in sync, or something has changed. I was just able to book C+P at this hotel with confirmed suite upgrade next year. This is an update to my post #1512.

They may have loaded availability during 2014 for 2015, but they have announced they will no longer be offering it, and most likely have removed all future availability.

jepiv Dec 28, 2014 2:21 am

[img]image not found[/img]

jepiv Dec 28, 2014 7:44 am

Just to confirm the capabilities of Hyatt Twitter team, who are as active but more capable than AA twitter team:

http://i.imgur.com/9g3do0i.png

coffee18 Dec 28, 2014 9:05 am

Originally Posted by jepiv (Post 24062483)
Just to confirm the capabilities of Hyatt Twitter team, who are as active but more capable than AA twitter team:

http://i.imgur.com/9g3do0i.png

Lucky. I couldn't get this to work with their twitter team for my dates in June.

peteropny Dec 28, 2014 9:18 am

I've just deleted several posts that was primarily personal commentary - KNOCK IT OFF.

Peteropny- co-mod - Hyatt

pickles1107 Dec 29, 2014 7:56 am

I talked to in house reservations yesterday and the agent told me they are no longer offering P+C, so it does appear that they are not insync with central reservations.

oc2005 Dec 30, 2014 9:48 am

We just checked out of a week stay in the first pool suite closest to the elevator in the Makai tower (i.e. the tower that juts out). While it is a stretch to say room 126 has a partial ocean view (maybe if you stand on the patio furniture), the room in general was ok and it was kind of nice having such a large patio (though the patio furniture is as unusably uncomfortable as ever).

However, the two biggest negatives of the room were:
  1. People often walk down the path to the building where the spa is located, so you don't get much privacy.
  2. I'm not sure if it's that room, or we were just unlucky, but it was perhaps the noisiest room we have ever had at any hotel. It sounded like someone was walking around, dropping things, or moving around furniture up there hours a day. It would start at 6am and sometimes go off an on until after midnight some nights. We complained repeatedly and begged for any other room (even downgrading to a standard room with no view as long as it was quiet), but they couldn't do anything to help. They even sent security to listen to the noise from our room, and they were shocked how much noise it was. Security would go up to talk to whoever was up there, it would quiet down for a few minutes, then start right back up again. Our theory was there must have been some little kids up there running around (or someone's pet giraffe), but I'm shocked the room didn't have better noise insulation.

Also, while we enjoyed the Diamond breakfast, it really is a stretch to call it a full breakfast. They should at least give you your choice of eggs plus choice of meat, along with the cold buffet, and it would be nice if they added to the side dish choices. As it is now, unless you like scrambled eggs (which are on the buffet), you have to choose eggs or bacon/sausage, and can't get both.

I heard an odd thing the last morning of the stay at breakfast as well -- the people at the table next to us told the server they had free breakfast with their room, and the server asked if they were Diamond members in which case they would get the pantry, or had a breakfast package in which case they would get the full hot buffet. Pretty sketchy that Diamond members don't even get the same buffet that comes with a free breakfast package!!!

canyonleo Dec 30, 2014 11:24 am

I found the biggest negative to that suite to be the sewer drain right out the patio door to the left - ruined the "garden" view (it's not an ocean view, no matter what it's called) and didn't smell great (must have recently rained).

I have to say, if I was ever to stay here with a confirmed suite reservation, I would call the front office multiple times ahead of my stay, including the night before arrival, and make it explicitly clear that they don't block me to that room.

oc2005 Dec 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 24073449)
I found the biggest negative to that suite to be the sewer drain right out the patio door to the left - ruined the "garden" view (it's not an ocean view, no matter what it's called) and didn't smell great (must have recently rained).

I have to say, if I was ever to stay here with a confirmed suite reservation, I would call the front office multiple times ahead of my stay, including the night before arrival, and make it explicitly clear that they don't block me to that room.

That's interesting, because I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same room, because I didn't even notice a sewer drain! Was it in the ground of the patio and how big was it?

I also wonder if they maybe moved around the rooms a bit on that first floor, because I noticed the floor map on the back of the door didn't match up with the actual layout of the floor.

Here is what the floor map said:
http://oi59.tinypic.com/2e6g9kw.jpg

But here is what the actual layout looked like:
http://oi60.tinypic.com/30i8k13.jpg

Football Fan Dec 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 24072885)
Also, while we enjoyed the Diamond breakfast, it really is a stretch to call it a full breakfast. They should at least give you your choice of eggs plus choice of meat, along with the cold buffet, and it would be nice if they added to the side dish choices. As it is now, unless you like scrambled eggs (which are on the buffet), you have to choose eggs or bacon/sausage, and can't get both.

I heard an odd thing the last morning of the stay at breakfast as well -- the people at the table next to us told the server they had free breakfast with their room, and the server asked if they were Diamond members in which case they would get the pantry, or had a breakfast package in which case they would get the full hot buffet. Pretty sketchy that Diamond members don't even get the same buffet that comes with a free breakfast package!!!

Thanks for that...really makes me want to reconsider going there. We have a reservation around easter. Might change to one of the LHW properties in Oahu.

canyonleo Dec 30, 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 24073907)
That's interesting, because I wasn't sure if we were talking about the same room, because I didn't even notice a sewer drain! Was it in the ground of the patio and how big was it?

I also wonder if they maybe moved around the rooms a bit on that first floor, because I noticed the floor map on the back of the door didn't match up with the actual layout of the floor.

I went back and found my post (#385) and it is Rm 126 that I reference in my post(s) immediately up-thread. There is a small grass area immediately out the patio door to the right (between the concrete/patio surface and pool area straight out the door the the main building structure well to the right) and there is a grated sewer drain there.

oc2005 Dec 30, 2014 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 24074015)
I went back and found my post (#385) and it is Rm 126 that I reference in my post(s) immediately up-thread. There is a small grass area immediately out the patio door to the right (between the concrete/patio surface and pool area straight out the door the the main building structure well to the right) and there is a grated sewer drain there.

Interesting! I think they've replaced the grass area and must have hidden the sewer drain in a planter:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/m8elck.jpg

We didn't notice any smell, but then again we were so busy complaining about all the noise, maybe we just didn't notice it.

We noticed in general that there were a lot more plants throughout the grounds this year vs. last year. That's the real shame -- the property seemed even more beautiful this year than last year, it was just so noisy and they seemed like they were trying to chase away all these pesky Diamond guests by doing the absolute minimum they can get away with.

oc2005 Dec 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Football Fan (Post 24073945)
Thanks for that...really makes me want to reconsider going there. We have a reservation around easter. Might change to one of the LHW properties in Oahu.

Yeah, that did rub me the wrong way when I heard that and makes Diamonds feel like second class citizens (which may be their intent)!

The breakfast is basically what you would get at most Regency clubs, plus one side item (choice of 2 eggs, 3 strips of bacon, 2 pieces of slab bacon, 3 small chicken sausages, small pile of potatoes, or toast). The fruit quality and selection is excellent, but it is still more like a Regency club spread than a standard Hyatt full breakfast buffet that Diamonds receive at other properties.

canyonleo Dec 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005 (Post 24074178)
Interesting! I think they've replaced the grass area and must have hidden the sewer drain in a planteR

We didn't notice any smell, but then again we were so busy complaining about all the noise, maybe we just didn't notice it.

We noticed in general that there were a lot more plants throughout the grounds this year vs. last year. That's the real shame -- the property seemed even more beautiful this year than last year, it was just so noisy and they seemed like they were trying to chase away all these pesky Diamond guests by doing the absolute minimum they can get away with.

Yep, that's the area of reference... it seems they "garden-ed" it up quite a bit more from when I was there (and it was a mix of grass and plants)..

Still, that's the view, a corner of plants and the main building wall.

salvag Dec 31, 2014 12:18 pm

Checked in last week. I fully knew what to expect with the nerfed Diamond breakfast, but there are a few things I wanted to mention that really have upset me. The buffet overall is fine, although after a week of being here, the fruit and bread choices really start to get boring. The scrambled eggs on the buffet are always overcooked and dry. The oatmeal is usually of good consistency, but that's about it.

My main gripe is with the service. I understand this is one of the busiest weeks of the year, but the poor service we recieved at breakfast every morning is just inexcusable. For starters, it would often take upwards of 5 minutes before we were even greeted at the table and offered coffee. The side items we ordered would take an exorbanate amount of time to receive. It shouldn't take 10-15 minutes to receive 3 pieces of bacon. The bacon we ordered would almost always come undercooked and flabby, even when we ordered it crisp, so we would usually have to send it back. The worst part were the eggs. I don't think we've recieved a properly cooked egg yet. Poached eggs arrive hard. Over easy eggs are hard. The slab bacon (which is more like pork chop) we got was almost 80% fat. By the time we finally got our sides, we generally were already finished with the buffet food, or the food we got was already cold. Having to send it back just took more time. I really wish they'd get their act together. This shouldn't be happening at what is supposed to be a top rated restaurant in a top rated hotel. I think nerfing the breakfast for diamonds was a huge mistake and is clearly causing more problems than good.