Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel Du Louvre, Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Du Louvre, Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by walterj
I stayed here early this week using the Chase credit card two free nights certificate and I had to pay a 14 euro city tax. Is that normal?
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Just out of curiosity, why did you choose this hotel for your two free nights?

Your tax does seem rather steep, however. I'm paying 4.4 Euros a night at Place Vendome.
ILuvParis: I wondered the same, with the PH a short walk away.

But to answer the original question, yes, tax seems to be applied regardless of booking method. I paid 4.4 € per person, per night at PH in late May on the Chase two free nights. Walked down to the Hotel du Louvre and stayed one night there on P+C and paid 3.3 € (per person, per night).
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist

Your tax does seem rather steep, however. I'm paying 4.4 Euros a night at Place Vendome.
Exactly, the Chase 2 free night certs valid at any Hyatt are very valuable. I will be using one of my cert at PH in January.

OP's tax appears to be 3.5 euros per person per night for 2 people and 2 nights, so total of 14 euros. Sounds right.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Exactly, the Chase 2 free night certs valid at any Hyatt are very valuable. I will be using one of my cert at PH in January.

OP's tax appears to be 3.5 euros per person per night for 2 people and 2 nights, so total of 14 euros. Sounds right.
I think a lot of people see "Louvre" in the hotel name and think it's in an amazing location (which, according to what you like to do in Paris, is subjective). I was just at the PH and stopped into Hotel du Louvre to use the restroom, and while the staff was very nice, the hotel lobby was very tired, and doesn't even come close to the PH. Although, I should stay, my past stay at the PH wasn't nearly as nice as my first...
Old Sep 3, 2016, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
I think a lot of people see "Louvre" in the hotel name and think it's in an amazing location (which, according to what you like to do in Paris, is subjective). I was just at the PH and stopped into Hotel du Louvre to use the restroom, and while the staff was very nice, the hotel lobby was very tired, and doesn't even come close to the PH. Although, I should stay, my past stay at the PH wasn't nearly as nice as my first...
Would you mind sharing which aspects of the latest PH stay weren't so good?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:27 am

Why? Poor planning, unforeseen events. I had the expiration looming - I was looking at PH Mallorca, but didn't work in my schedule. I would have preferred better choice perhaps PH Tokyo, Maldives or maybe Maui.

Instead I booked two rooms at Hotel Louvre, one room for my son and his girlfriend and one for myself and DW. Since we wouldn't spend much time in the hotel, and no time to appreciate the luxury of the PH, I opted for the better location.

I found my statement, 6.60 per room, total 13.20 euros. I was surprised having to pay something for an award night.

Last edited by walterj; Sep 3, 2016 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....I found my statement, 6.60 per room, total 13.20 euros. I was surprised having to pay something for an award night.
Paris hotel taxes are per person per night based on official "star" ranking of hotel. It can range from €0.22 to €4.40 per person per night and applies to all stays, paid or free. PH Vendome is ranking at the highest "palace" level hence the €4.40 per person per night taxes. There is also a 10% taxes based on room rate which you don't need to pay for award stays.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was surprised having to pay something for an award night.
Guest pays city taxes on award stays. True basically across all programs.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:04 pm

Here's what I do. Book a room for one, then just show up with 2 or 3 (for suites), and the hotel will usually only charge the tax for a single occupant.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Here's what I do. Book a room for one, then just show up with 2 or 3 (for suites), and the hotel will usually only charge the tax for a single occupant.
You really find it that necessary to cheat a hotel out of 7 or 8 euro?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Would you mind sharing which aspects of the latest PH stay weren't so good?
Many things were unrefined (handyman immediately entering room after check-in to fix shower head without any prior notice from guest relations), an extremely rude spa attendant & our room smelling like weed after coming back from a day out in Paris. The weed smell was actually the least upsetting, imo, but the other things were just a bit off for a 5-star palace.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence
You really find it that necessary to cheat a hotel out of 7 or 8 euro?
Personally, no.

I couldn't care less regarding the amount, but offer the advice in case some on here do. I actually stumbled onto this, since when booking on SPG, it always defaults to "single" guest check in that I'm too lazy to correct.

Just noticed at Westin Vendome, they don't bother to change it either and only charge the tax for a single guest, rather than two.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Just stayed at this property on an emergency business trip to Paris (during fashion week, so it wasn't like I was too bothered about it). Landed a EUR 340 rate a couple of hours before checking in. I was given a very large corner room facing the Comedie Francaise on one side and the Louvre on the other.

I thought that, although the hotel is in need of renovations, the bones of this building are excellent, and should make for an outstanding hard product after renovation. Even as is, the opulent old-school style, the high ceilings, to top-to-bottom (double-glazed) windows, the balcony, and the water pressure more than made up for the somewhat tired hard product.

Service was very good, and the breakfast was fine. Not the PHV, of course, but perfectly adequate.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Just finished two stays here - 1 x 5 nights and 1 x 1 night. We were treated very well and appreciated the personal service and care of the hotel staff who came to recognize us after a couple of days. The location, service and old time Paris feel made this a memorable stay for us and we will return on future trips to Paris. Advice from the concierge led us to an excellent bistro down Rue St. Honore (Le Regalade).

The northern half of floors 1 and 2 of the hotel (facing Opera and Comedie Francaise) is currently under renovation and blocked off but no noise or other disruptions were apparent. The lobby is unaffected. During our five night stay we were in an executive room which was very large with high ceilings and very comfortable - the size of a entry level suite in most hotels.

On our final night they put us in their model post renovation deluxe room which was more charming than I feared (yes, there is lots of grey, but some Parisian character still comes through). I still generally preferred the older style furnishings with the exception of the bathrooms in the un-renovated rooms which do need an update.

Each morning we asked for a pot of coffee or two and some pastries in our room as our breakfast benefit (diamond status) and were charged only a 9 euro supplement for two people which we appreciated.

I can't say enough about the location - really ideal for visiting a variety of areas in Paris with the metro entrance three steps from the hotel restaurant and a taxi stand across the street. Most places you'd like to visit are within a 20 minute walk.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
Each morning we asked for a pot of coffee or two and some pastries in our room as our breakfast benefit (diamond status) and were charged only a 9 euro supplement for two people which we appreciated.
What is the 9 euro supplement for 2 people? Is this the city tax?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIT85
What is the 9 euro supplement for 2 people? Is this the city tax?
Paris city tax should be €6.60 for two.

http://pro.parisinfo.com/reglementat...sejour-a-paris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.