Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:10 pm

Staying on Corp dime so value for dollar not the biggest motivation, comfort and globalist recognition are my biggest factors when traveling on business.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Staying on Corp dime so value for dollar not the biggest motivation, comfort and globalist recognition are my biggest factors when traveling on business.
Yeah this property is not strong on either of those. Tiny rooms, no real suite upgrades, poor breakfast benefit. Again, a great location but no other real selling points.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I don't know if any of the NYC properties are really accomplishing that.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Just stayed on a crazy 160$ Company rate, just to get away for a little break. Got Upgraded to a “suite”. Basically an awkward corner room with 2 TVs way to much furniture a missing mini bar and tiny bathrooms. Breakfast was meh. Location great.

If your in New York and looking for perks as an elite not the best pick. If you can get a great rate it may be worth it.

I would grab andaz 5th at 280 any day over this for 160.

Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:36 am

Basically wondering if there is any chance of a globalist suite upgrade. This one is the most convenient for me to get to the path without staying at the Hyatt regency Jersey City.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Basically wondering if there is any chance of a globalist suite upgrade. This one is the most convenient for me to get to the path without staying at the Hyatt regency Jersey City.
I'm sorry, are you reading the responses people are giving you? Have you looked at their rooms online? The base level "suite" is not a suite. They only have two rooms that would be considered real suites and they don't typically upgrade into them.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:13 pm

Just finished my stay here..overall I'll say this:
gym is better than andaz but worse than centric tsq or Grand Hyatt
Breakfast is second to andaz fifth! The food at their restaurant is actually pretty darn good. Had great dinner and breakfasts there.
​​​​​​
Breakfast benefit: this has changed from the posts I have read. The good, glob benefits is an entree and a drink. There is no dollar amount attached to that entree so you can order a steak or some berries. The bad, you have to go down every day for your breakfast coupons! They won't give them to you for your whole stay! So annoying!

Otherwise this is a pretty good Hyatt. I had a nice room, great breakfast good gym. Solid third place behind Andaz 5th and Hyatt Centric tsq.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:00 pm

I needed to be in the Union Square area and need Hyatt nights so booked two nights in their "Jr. Suite." (which is the property's Standard Suite). Arrived around 5 pm. Wait was around 15 minutes for check-in. After finally reaching the counter, agent typed furiously for several minutes, and attempted several times to reach housekeeping. Finally she broke the news that "your booked room type isn't ready yet." When I noted that we were now two hours past 3 pm check-in, she offered to put me in another room in the meantime. Manager standing beside her offered a discount on my room rate. I told him that wasn't necessary. He then offered comp breakfast, which I accepted.

The "temporary" room was on the 10th floor and actually not bad (though very small). The top two floors here have floor to ceiling windows and are quite nicely decorated, though only slightly larger than a postage stamp.

After about an hour, I was advised my "Jr. Suite" (room 511) was ready. It's really a pathetic excuse for a suite. The furnishings are actually below Ikea quality. The "living area" consisted of two armless, worthless chairs, an empty wine refrigerator, and an incredibly tacky particle board table with two metal frame chairs (complete with soiled armrests):

The bedroom portion of the room was equally tackily furnished, with a very small television (and no Chromecast):

Everything felt cheap, including the kleenex, tp, and towels. Nespresso capsules were not replenished. All in all, I'd say this was one of the most disappointing hotel rooms I've had in several years (right up there with the so-called "Suite" they gave me at Grand Hyatt NYC in January).

Room was also very loud. Not the hotel's fault, but 4th Ave seems to get an unusually high volume of emergency vehicle traffic, and the sirens were really piercing on the 5th floor.

Breakfast was passable, not memorable in any respect. Of course they billed it through, despite the manager's offer of a comp, and it took several minutes at check-out to sort that out.

If I were to stay here again (unlikely) I would go for one of the regular rooms on the 10th or 11th floor.
Old May 7, 2021, 7:14 am

Covid review

I am a globalist and and had to run into the city last minute, so booked this hotel for $250 cash.

I was quite disappointed overall.

There is no breakfast, only 500 points, which I value at like $8.

Also, I thought as a globalist parking was included, but it’s not. I suppose that’s my fault. Valet parking closed “due to covid” so you have to park in a public lot a few blocks away.

was excited to show my buddy what top status is like. We got 2 feee $3 water bottles and 500 points. Needless to say he isn’t jumping on the Hyatt wagon!
Old May 7, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dval44
I am a globalist and and had to run into the city last minute, so booked this hotel for $250 cash.

I was quite disappointed overall.

There is no breakfast, only 500 points, which I value at like $8.

Also, I thought as a globalist parking was included, but it’s not. I suppose that’s my fault. Valet parking closed “due to covid” so you have to park in a public lot a few blocks away.

was excited to show my buddy what top status is like. We got 2 feee $3 water bottles and 500 points. Needless to say he isn’t jumping on the Hyatt wagon!
That sounds quite bad. Particularly when you can - usually - get good Hyatt properties like 50 Bowery for ~1/2 of the price you paid. There's lots of Hyatt Place options around the $100 mark too (but obviously that's pandemic pricing).
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Stayed here for three nights in a “suite” (a “terrace room”).

Overall, not great and would not return.

The good: staff are super nice. Front desk staff were always alone but they were nice and tried their best. Housekeeping was good and they didn’t make me call to request it.

Breakfast was okay, and restaurant staff were also super nice.

The bad: air conditioner didn’t work. I had to call maintenance twice during a two day. Nowhere to sit other than on my bed in the room. Hyatt Place level sheets, towels and mattress. I sent clothes to the laundry and had to call and visit the front desk to get them returned.

The unforgivable: they removed the cushions from the furniture on the terrace. I’m sure they did this to make it easier to handle when it rains, but a better idea would have been to buy all weather patio furniture. They left me with seats that were unusable. The “suite” part of this was a bad joke.

This hotel needs work. I would not return.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:04 am

I wanted to update this thread as I just wrapped up a two night stay. I had very measured expectations after reaching through recent stays on this thread, but happy to report we actually had a great stay. I was initially drawn to staying there because we had previously good experiences a few years back and the right before we needed to book, the rate dropped to $300/night which I thought was good compared to everything else on offer. I booked two nights at that rate and the next morning the rate dropped to $250/night (an even better deal!) and the Twitter team adjusted our rate accordingly (even though we were within the 48hr cancellation period).

As globalists I wasn't expecting an upgrade since since I didn't see anything other than King rooms for sale. We ended up in a King street view (5th floor) - noise level was 'medium' from the street and loud from rooms near us coming in late at night and the doors slamming (I'm not sure there's a quiet way to shut those doors). But other than that, service was terrific - I took advantage of free La Colombe coffee in the lobby starting at 6:30am and we were given vouchers for free breakfast at the restaurant which was great (and starts at 8am). No complaints about the food at all. We also had dinner at the hotel restaurant the first night since we arrived late - ordered a pizza and salad and it was delicious. The next day I tried the Library of Spirits cocktail bar on premises and they do a great job there too (and you can order from the 'snack' menu for nibbles).

What else? Not much more to say other than the staff were wonderful - always nice and helpful. Shoutout to the security guard who was always lovely when interacting with him in the lobby and all in all, it was nice to be back! I would definitely stay again especially at these rates (though not sure I'd spring for 25K points a night unless guaranteed a suite).

Anyone have any questions let me know!
Old Oct 24, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
All,

I stayed there last week and was less than impressed. Room noise next to us was well ya know at about midnight. The breakfast was terrible. The eggs were just plain awful and we had to ask for our breakfast vouchers. 1 of the elevators was mot woking most of the weekend. It was the most disappointed I have ever been a Hyatt. The location is great but I doubt I would ever stay there again.

Safe Travels
Old Dec 4, 2022, 8:12 am

Chiming in based on a stay in Nov 22 (paid @ 29k, $ amount was some inflated amount >$1500).

Both positive and negative reviews above capture the important points.

On the room, it’s decent for a NYC hotel, certainly a step down from mid-town options like PH where you get *benefit* of a separate bathroom. Noise is mostly based on A) who is in the connecting room and B) which floor you’re on. I was on 9 and didn’t have the same issues other described on lower floors.

Service is friendly, but I did have to proactively ask for the globalist vouchers. It covered any entree and coffee for me. They did offer a guest voucher as well but I wasn’t saying with anyone so I didn’t use it.

Overall, for solo travel where access to different neighborhoods (including the L) is a priority, it’s a solid option.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:26 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I stayed here on a six night mattress run to requalify for Globalist in 2023 and check off the Hyatt off the brand explorer; it was a roller coaster ride like no other hotel stay I've ever experienced.

I booked at the spur of the moment, booking for arrival that same day. I live a few blocks away so walked over around 2:30 pm to see if I could check in early and try and see about a decent upgrade, maybe for a suite of a late-departing Globalist. When arriving, I was told my room was ready and I had been upgraded from the base King Courtyard to a King High Floor. That seemed decent enough for me, so I accepted the room. I was given an envelope of breakfast vouchers for the entire length of my stay, which is a departure from what has been posted above. Amenity remains one entrée and a hot drink - the steak and eggs has a $10 surcharge. I did the American Breakfast and hot tea a few days ($25) and it was fine; I mixed in other options so I wasn't eating the same breakfast each day. Any gratuity is posted to the room folio as a food/beverage charge. Elite members are given a small paper bag with two mini water bottles, two packets of property-branded trail mix, and a card listing additional amenities covered under the Destination Fee (waived for Globalists). I didn't bother getting extra waters.

The room was on the 11th floor and faced 4th Avenue. There is a fire station across the street on 13th Street so that is the source of many of the sirens. Our apartment is also on the 11th floor, so I am used to a lot of NYC traffic noise in our neighborhood so it doesn't bother me or my sleep. The soundproofing of the windows is better than our place but there's still a lot that gets through. As others have posted, the room is very small and has no interior privacy. It's just me staying so not that bad but I would not bring +1 with me. I had a few annoying issues; was that the digital thermostat doesn't keep the room at a constant temperature. I set it at 74 and when I woke up in the morning, the room was at 68. When I bumped it to 76, once the morning sun came up, the room heated to 80. So, it was constant adjusting to get the temperature a steady level. More annoyingly, the Chromecast and HDMI inputs on my TV didn't work; this became problematic as I was working from the hotel all week using my 13" laptop and I normally connect it via an HDMI cable to a TV so I can use it as a larger monitor. I limped through most of one day before asking an engineer to come up and check my TV. I was told I was doing everything right, connection and input selection-wise and there wasn't anything else that could be done. I also asked about the stated high-speed premium wifi advertised and was told there was only one option, the pokey +/- 10 Mpbs speed. On Day 2 I gave up and went down to the Front Desk around lunchtime and asked to see other rooms. To their credit, the manager on duty came out and took my complaint seriously. We looked at a King Courtyard across the hall and yes, that TV worked with my HDMI cable. That room was much smaller so it wasn't even offered as an option. We then went one floor down and looked at two empty Kings facing 4th Ave. The first had the same non-operational Chromecast and HDMI ports, but the second one did (HDMI only; the Chromecast still didn't work); it helped that the room had a newer-model LG LCD. So, I moved my belongings one floor down.

This room was right outside of the elevator, but the outside noise was minimal. I was awoken in the middle of the night by some loud guests outside but fell back asleep. This property is so inconsistent; my 11th floor room was lacking water glasses. My 10th floor room lacked a luggage stand and a do not disturb sign, which I had to get from housekeeping. The complementary water in the 11th floor room were two one liter boxes of Just Water; the new room has .5 liter bottles. My new room was missing the backlight around the TV enclosure so my room was darker at night. Most egregiously, the heating in the new room didn't work; it only blew cold air, so it was really cold in the room at night (mid 60s) and the engineer said the unit appears to be broken. I was given a space heater that, by the looks of it, was taken from someone's office or breakroom. Thankfully. it was good enough to keep my room at 72 when it was sub-freezing outside.

The staff at the front desk range the spectrum from surly and uninterested to genuinely engaged; probably more overall positive than negative. The staff at the restaurant was fine; I went down around 7 each morning for my breakfast. Lots of places in the Union Square and East Village area for coffee and other meals, including the new Urbanspace food hall on 14th between 4th and 3rd Avenues: https://www.urbanspacenyc.com/union-square

One final note; I used the $15 laundry credit to have my dress shirts pressed. That service was also very inconsistent when using the same day (drop off by 9am, get it back by 7 pm) service. My results were:

Monday AM drop off: Returned Thursday AM
Tuesday AM drop off: Returned Tuesday PM
Wednesday AM drop off: Returned Thursday AM
Thursday AM drop off: Returned Friday PM

The charges are posted to your folio and then manually wiped off at checkout so you can't do remote checkout unless you stop by the front desk in the morning to have them update your folio. The staff even had the nerve to post a laundry charge to my folio after I checked out; I had to call them back to get it reversed, I would not rely on their laundry service if it was important to have the items the next day; the staff confided in me that this is an ongoing problem with their dry cleaning vendor. Given how badly they failed to deliver the "same day service" I requested, the fact that they even put the charge on my folio was pretty galling.

Overall, I can't recommend this property.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 27, 2022 at 4:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.