Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Fab location

Stayed here last weekend. Was booked in the Andaz Wall Street, but the rate here came down so changed due much better location.

I booked an Alcove Loft, as this was a lowest available rate at $329. Unwittingly applied a Diamond Suite Upgrade to it, which caused confusion (to me), as this room is actually considered a suite, so no upgrade. Manager on duty explained it when questioned, as it wasn't explained well on check-in over the loud music in the lobby/bar the night before.

Probably the smallest Hyatt suite I've stayed in, but adequate.

Bar in the restaurant closes quite early. Hotel bar closes 130am ish without notice, which was weird.

Would certainly stay again next time we're in NY.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Location was the best for my needs but I did enjoy the hotel.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:11 pm

Any updates on the breakfast situation at the hotel? Still $25 per person?

Also, how does the tax & tip work? Do you have to order only $20 worth of food so that you can include the extra $5 for tax and tip?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Any updates on the breakfast situation at the hotel? Still $25 per person?

Also, how does the tax & tip work? Do you have to order only $20 worth of food so that you can include the extra $5 for tax and tip?
Same question. Staying there this week - guess I'll answer it myself in a couple of days. Used the diamond suite upgrade: got the Alcove Suite which I am told is the only category available for such upgrade.

Real suites are available and bookable for my dates on hyatt.com but supposedly not made available for suite upgrade...
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:08 am

I just checked in for a couple days around New Years using points. No more Hyatt status so we got a normal interior courtyard room.

Here is a room bubble photo.

Courtyard Room

Bathroom
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Stayed here recently for a night. Booked a Courtyard Studio. Upon checking in, was told I was "upgraded" to an Urbane Studio. Sure, an upgrade, but not one complying with the advertised benefits of Diamond (best available non-suite room). I asked if an Urbane Sky Room was available and was told the rooms had not yet been cleaned by housekeeping except for the ADA room. I was hesitant about taking the ADA room, but the check-in clerk was insistent (when I told her I would wait for a non-ADA room to be cleaned) and claimed the ADA room was "her favorite room" and was actually larger than the others. I accepted the room (didn't try to ask for the Alcove Loft, which was available and is not listed as a suite on the website even though the Diamond suite upgrade books into that type). The room appeared to be the same size if not smaller than other Urbane Sky Rooms I've seen online. I'm not sure exactly what was going on here, but I think there was reluctance to upgrade me.

Breakfast was also not compliant with Diamond benefits, which provides one entrée, juice, and coffee, inclusive of tax and gratuity. Breakfast at this property was limited to $25 per person. The cheapest entrée (which would be either oatmeal or granola with yogurt) plus juice and coffee before tax and tip was $23 ($25.04 with tax).

At least I didn't really notice any problems with street noise with my room on the 11th floor facing 13th St.

Definitely prefer the Andaz 5th Ave despite the greater street noise or the Grand Hyatt. Union Square was about as disappointing as 48 Lex (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22093025-post216.html), but I would probably take Union Square over 48 Lex for its better location and more modern design (48 Lex looks much more like a boring business hotel).

Last edited by lawyertalk; Jan 6, 2014 at 12:05 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:41 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Disappointed here!
I was willing to pay a premium to stay here until I read about the skimpy breakfast benefit and worse the inability to use a diamond suite upgrade here
Apparently as others have discovered they are only allowing diamond suite confirmables to be used for the Alcove Loft/ guest room which is 350 square feet
The smallest guest rooms here are 250 sq foot
The issue continues to degrade and diminish the Hyatt Gold Passport program with a number of hotels that continue to have loopholes and exclusions
Best Available room does not make a jr suite!! That's already promised for doing ones 50 plus nights
I have 550 sq foot studio at another more premium non Hyatt property for less no Diamond suite upgrade needed!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Disappointed here!
I was willing to pay a premium to stay here until I read about the skimpy breakfast benefit
Always check 2 people in on your reservation. Price doesn't change, and you get 2x breakfast, which is sorely needed here to get anything more than pastries and maybe coffee.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Always check 2 people in on your reservation. Price doesn't change, and you get 2x breakfast, which is sorely needed here to get anything more than pastries and maybe coffee.
So it takes 2 Diamond vouchers for one to dine here in the morning?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
So it takes 2 Diamond vouchers for one to dine here in the morning?
Pretty much. Sent a PM to GP Concierge about this a month ago, so it looks like nothing's changed.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Pretty much. Sent a PM to GP Concierge about this a month ago, so it looks like nothing's changed.
I sent a PM in October about this issue—they said they would follow up, but clearly it wasn't effective...
Old May 3, 2014, 7:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Wonderful NYC hotel

This is my fourth stay here and it just keeps getting better. I will add more later but one of my best Hyatt stays, don't want to leave!^^^
Old May 3, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
This is my fourth stay here and it just keeps getting better. I will add more later but one of my best Hyatt stays, don't want to leave!^^^
Wonderful News!
Hope I can say the same. I'm there next week
I will be trying a return to Grand Hyatt after a long on purpose hiatus ,48 Lex and Union Square
Outside of Hyatt I will try the Langham Place with private Maserati and driver in all Dux bed hotel with complimentary limo back to airport
Thanks to booking through Amex Travel service. Top 5 on Trip Advisor
Looking forward

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 17, 2014 at 7:50 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 2:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Wonderful hotel, excellent staff, perfect location!

I've just completed my 4th stay here this year and can't wait to go back.

The best part of this hotel is its location... it's in the East Village near Union Square. It is the one of the most diverse neighborhoods in New York City with a vibrant night life; variety of retail and so many fantastic restaurants... plus Whole Foods and the Union Square Farmer's Market is just around the corner. There is a large wine shop across the street, easy access to the subway just 1 city block north of the hotel.

On each stay I’ve been upgraded. I’ve stayed in the Urbane Sky Room, which is located on the tops floors offering floor to ceiling windows, nice city views. In one room I could see part of the Manhattan Bridge in the distance with those iconic water towers dotting the skyline. On my last stay I was upgraded to a terrace room on the 2nd floor... what a wonderful room with a private garden terrace,^^^. Rooms are on the small side, but wonderfully decorated and furnished, perfect for the solo traveler. The amenities in the rooms are first class, from Starbucks coffee, large umbrella, slippers, luxurious C.O. Bigelow toiletries, and toothpaste^^^ The mini bar in the room is very tempting , but this is not the Andaz so none of the goodies are complementary.

SERVICE - The hotel has taken the Hyatt... "You’re more than welcomed" to a new level. The staff is friendly, super accommodating and pleasant. The doorman offers a nice touch... always welcoming you back and offering to assist you... kind of reminds me of the Park Hyatt DC doorman^^^

FOOD - Food and beverage are operated by a third party, One Five Hospitality.

THE FOURTH - This is the main restaurant in the hotel, food is very good, great wine list, but it can be pricy... for the buck there are many other great places to eat just outside the hotel front doors. FOR DIAMONDS... the front desk says you get a $25 credit for breakfast... but they waived my entire bill which ranged from $45 - $55.

SINGL LOUNGE - Nice space located next to the lobby. During the day it’s perfect to hang out, do some work on your laptop, have a cup a coffee, meet friends or chat with other guest. In the evening they offer small bites, nice variety of wines, cocktails and occasionally live music.

BOTEQUIM – opening soon – South American Dinning

ROOFTOP – This has been closed awaiting permits to be approved. (OPENING DATE TBA)

In closing, I really love this hotel it sort of has that Andaz feel of 5th avenue with the hipness of the village. This is a boutique hotel that offers wonderful amenities, friendly service, located in a hip, vibrant, colorful neighborhood. Can’t wait to return!

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; May 6, 2014 at 10:22 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 9:12 pm

Thumbs up My first stay at Hyatt Union Square/An Ambassador Review

I cancelled a booking elsewhere
To make sure not to miss an opportunity to try out the respected and increasingly popular Hyatt Union Square property.
Word of mouth from my colleagues and in particular fellow respected poster here in this forum Radiant Flyer had been strong.
I came with great reservation and for good reason. Hyatt Union Square has some standard very small rooms making it amongst the smallest ever in any Hyatt Property
including the sometimes complained about 48 Lex a personal favorite of mine.
The first thing that was noticeable and impressive was the diversity of the remarkable passionate team and how nice and caring everybody was.
The team made it seem like they were true locals that might live in Union Square giving guests a true New York City neighborhood experience with a cool residential vibe!
Awesome a non typical hotel experience in New York

As they say it’s all in the details

Before arrival I had called the property prior to arrival
Received some bad news originally that the property was sold out and room types and upgrades of any kind would be extremely limited.
None the less their concern for my satisfaction as a first time guest was notable and impressive.
Arrived just before check in time and toured what was available as well as what was unavailable for curiosity and found a room to my total liking.
Surprisingly a handicapped guest room something I normally dislike!
This was an exceptional room where the designer proved that handicapped if designed exceptionally well needn’t be unattractive or institutional but cutting edge.
I salute the cutting edge designer(s) in most regards within the hotel and what they achieved overall.
In fact I thank the hotel ownership for letting its designers for not using fluorescent lights that are depressing by bedside and typically over used to save energy
at the expense of satisfaction
Instead they chose a par style light that livens up the room offering greater task and mood lighting and I believe on a dimmer

Impressive aspects of this hotel include
^^^

• Bikes in the lobby for guests to use freely at their disposal how cool is that?
• Pet friendly for those to whom that matters
• Amongst the best fitness center ever observed for a small boutique hotel of this size in or out of a Hyatt Hotel.
Finally and to their credit it took Hyatt and their business partners to get this reasonably close to right!!^
• Outdoor patios connected to select lower floor guest rooms as seen in previous posts (street/local noise may be an issue)
Bravo take a bow Hyatt!!! Not even the Hyatt Churchill a 5 star hotel in London has such a nice facility
W and other hotels have always consistently failed in this regard
• The most impressive use of space regardless of size of room. Some may still be unhappy

The room was designed by a serious architect

with a vision of maximizing experience in a challenging small room and for the most part they succeeded for what they were up against
Shower pressure was impressive as was drainage of water below
The service blew me away. From the lady who brought my room service tray to the doormen and especially the front desk everyone
seemed happy to see their guests and jump with sincerity to assist.
Someone is passing around the happy Kool-Aid to drink and its working!
How can you not admire the management here for pulling this off in New York City? Wow
For instance I was on my way as an invited guest to the opening of a new posh hip and trendy rooftop restaurant nearby and was concerned with being late.
Management asked me to review it for their corporate office and to please be on time. It was rush hour and stressing a bit.
A front desk agent spotted me pacing in the street and while the door man was busy jumped from the desk out into the street and immediately hailed me a taxi with a smile ^

The Fourth Room Service and Lunch taken in dining room
Is from a restaurant group with notable chefs
At dinner I was simply startled and blown away by their brick style chicken dinner it was amongst the best I have ever dined on in my life in ANY caliber restaurant.
It’s hard to describe but perfect skin and tender moist interior that melts in your mouth with an impressive lemon vinaigrette
The menu is limited especially in side dishes. The chef here weaves magic out of what are typically tired and worn menu items and breathes brilliance when he hits his mark
The chicken surpassed the Grand Hyatt Tokyo and Park Hyatt Milan some of who have Michelin star chefs in their kitchens. The bad news the service of the Fourth team typically with the exception of the charming host typically failed in most their duties and coordination with each other and even at select times disrespectful to their dining guests.
I was embarrassed in front of my guests and frustrated and feeling other diners pain. There were a few redeeming moments but there is much work to be done with attention to detail and the restaurant has the potential to be a standout even in the city of New York. Partnering with Hyatt was brilliant maybe Hyatt can help them with what's not working

Diamond Breakfast @ The Fourth
Once again I sat mesmerized at their scrambled eggs sheer perfection of what the dish should taste like. The freshest prime eggs perfectly executed and cooked to breath taking perfection
A simple request of hash browns simply doesn’t exist. In trying to be different/gourmet and special here at breakfast they fail miserably.
The only close choice was the red flannel hash and we all disliked it. Not bad just not a suitable replacement for the otherwise high standards they are producing
The ginger apricot scone was of excellent quality but failed due to its dry interior and unusual consistency.
Enjoyable but not a good pairing because of the scone dryness
The clotted cream served on the side couldn’t save it as it wasn’t moist enough
Like Lexington 48s Lexington Brass one cannot get a normal sliced fruit plate here with good variety
I tried to order the lemon muffin early in the morning but was told they only bake a handful each day so they don’t get stuck with extras
The restaurants dysfunctional and sometimes annoyed and impatient service team(it varied) typically brought disappointment.

I had breakfast at Andaz 5th Avenue "The Shop" during my week in new York twice where the reasonably long term heartfelt team takes a personal interest in their guests
As a group they are simply sensational under the exceptional leadership/management of Stamos
He and his service team enjoy their guests and serve with honor and polish to the best of their ability in a challenging fast paced city and demanding guests that want it all yesterday. Their exceptional Lemon Poppy Seed pancakes with orange peel maple syrup still inspires what a world class American breakfast is all about^
A Hyatt legend and only served at The Shop and only at breakfast

The Fourth management
IMO and its servers with all due respect should all go spend one week at Andaz 5th Avenue/"The Shop" to see what a great service team
is in an upscale casual dining room vibe included.
At the end of the day The Fourth restaurant is outside managed and doesn’t have the Hyatt culture it so desperately needs.
Even Lexington Brass at 48 Lex with less brilliant product overall has a good service team that is admirable to their credit
I'll be back to "The Fourth" simply as where its chefs shine its a destination restaurant. The Fourth if it tweaked its menu and improved its service would gain a higher social media ranking in guest scores fast
Its a welcome addition none the less to the Hyatt Union Square.I wish them success now and going forward. You wont get a table once they address issues.
It has great potential and still enjoyable as is

Closing Thoughts
Beds are a bit on the firm side but not as bad at Hyatt Times Square or Hyatt Place
Union Square management is already thinking of a solution with some new padding or toppers in general discussion.
Amenities are fun, attractive, upscale a little strong on the scent though
Nice break from the typical Hyatt bathroom amenities
No business center but a computer you can stand and use near front desk.

Don't miss an opportunity to stay at Hyatt Union Square
This little gem of a property is worth experiencing and the location fantastic.
While it wont be for everyone it is Hyatt showing that it can think out of the box in a maturing saturated market like New York where boutique properties are a dime a dozen.
Ok maybe not a dime after all it is New York
I'll be back! End of story for now and one I am sticking with!

Thank You Hyatt Union Square well done :-::-::-::-:

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.