Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
never mind, wrong thread....

Last edited by ElmhurstNick; Apr 30, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I would try the Kimpton Eventi instead next time, as the location was similar
Did you mean to post in the Hyatt Herald Square thread? That's the same area as Kimpton Eventi. Hyatt Union Square really is not.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Spent one night this week at the Hyatt Union Square, and at check-out, the front desk supervisor confirmed that this property is being converted to a Centric.

The stay was fine, as my 'upgraded' room on the 8th floor was on the small side, but quite nice and comfortable. That $25 limit on the Diamond breakfast is really ridiculous and in fact, my breakfast bill was $26.01 so the front desk supervisor waived that $1.01 for me ^

I like the location as I stay frequently at the W Union Square, and I get a decent corporate rate, but the lack of lounge and that $25 limit are irritants that I can do without.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm looking at this property for three nights in the first week of January. It's the second most expensive Hyatt (after the Park) and that's only for the entry courtyard studio.

I'm concerned about two things. One is the Diamond breakfast and the second is the DSU suite. The first I'm confident I can make a point about at the hotel. As for the second, I note the DSU suite is an alcove "suite", according to Gold Passport. However, there is no such room. There is an alcove loft, but no suite. In fact, on the hotel's website when you select suites, it lists only two, neither of which is the alcove loft.

Is this not also short-changing Diamond members?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:12 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by danger
I'm looking at this property for three nights in the first week of January. It's the second most expensive Hyatt (after the Park) and that's only for the entry courtyard studio.

I'm concerned about two things. One is the Diamond breakfast and the second is the DSU suite. The first I'm confident I can make a point about at the hotel. As for the second, I note the DSU suite is an alcove "suite", according to Gold Passport. However, there is no such room. There is an alcove loft, but no suite. In fact, on the hotel's website when you select suites, it lists only two, neither of which is the alcove loft.

Is this not also short-changing Diamond members?
I like the hotel quiet a bit but stopped staying with them despite also admiring the team on board
Issues
* The Diamond insufficient breakfast capped @ 25 PP seems stingy
* The property overcharging compared to other area properties and having much smaller rooms
*Recently I stayed at the lovely InterContinental TS for 199 Hyatt Union Square was 350 per night
* The inability to get a true suite.
The alcove guest room (ok loft) is a long cramped corner room and adequate
Much rather go to either Andaz
Most importantly the one thing that I loved the most the 4th restaurant next door has seriously declined having lost their chef that was sensational a few years back.
I would dine there without a Hyatt stay now I avoid that too
It’s still a nice property and has always had exceptionally nice team members and a good fitness center for the size of the hotel
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
It's still a nice property and has always had exceptionally nice team members and a good fitness center for the size of the hotel
I love the location but would only book this property if available at a bargain rate (<$250) due to the issues you mentioned. The breakfast is a particular disappointment compared to Andaz 5th.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:05 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Kacee
I love the location but would only book this property if available at a bargain rate (<$250) due to the issues you mentioned. The breakfast is a particular disappointment compared to Andaz 5th.
I hear you!
It was wonderful under the former chef marvelous egg dishes and exceptional home baked muffins in house

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 13, 2017 at 9:27 pm
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:46 am

Hyatt Union Square Empyreal Suite

Hyatt Union Square New York

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

134 Fourth Avenue New York, NY US 10003

Hyatt Union Square Empyreal Suite (0 Photo)

Check In

Check-In was a breeze, I arrived at around 4pm and my room was undergoing final inspection so the front desk offered to store my luggage while my wife and I enjoyed complementary cocktails at the bar. Once my room was ready (~5 minutes later) the front desk brought me my hotel keys at the bar.

Room

The Empyreal suite was absolutely lovely. View from the 11th floor was nice, nothing spectactacular but certainly the best view in the hotel. The room was very spacious with lots of seating. There is a nice table with four seats right when you walk in and a large sitting area with a three seat sofa surrounding the TV in the livining room. There is certainly enough room to entertain an additional 5-6 people in the room comfortably. The bedroom was just as lovely with a ceiling fan and a TV hidden behind a one-way mirror. The highlight of the room was certainly the two-person shower. There was plently of space with two shower heads that were independantly controlled. Certainly a fantastic room f

Dining

So they definitely made changes to the Diamond breakfast since the last review. I received breakfast vouchers for each night of my stay at check-in. Let the waiter know that you have a voucher and he/she will give you the Diamond Breakfast Menu. This menu lists the standard entrees that are offered complementary as part of the diamond breakfast. When I ordered off the menu I did not even have to sign a bill, if I ordered anything additional I was given a bill for just that specific item. The new system is definitely more inline with the diamo breakfast Terms.

Overall

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at the Hyatt Union Square. The service was great and any issue I had was easily resolved by the front desk. I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in Union Square. Also the Empyreal suite was certainly a great upgrade if you can get it.

Hyatt Union Square Empyreal Suite

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Union Square New York?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:56 pm

I agree with the concerns expressed above about the Diamond Suite Upgrade that is instead an upgrade into a room that isn't a suite. I have raised with Hyatt but no luck getting help so far (although the customer service representative agreed that it is strange).

Update: The customer service desk says that the hotel can't upgrade to a suite because "the hotel [is] a boutique hotel."

Last edited by dc_traveler; Feb 14, 2017 at 8:26 am Reason: Updated with more info
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Hi All-

Are there any newer reviews for this property?

My usual NYC choices are either Herald Square or PH NYC, but I have an upcoming trip that will have me at NYU for a couple of days, so thought I'd give this property a go since I really enjoy the neighborhood.

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:34 pm

If you're going to be around NYU, definitely stay there if you need to stay at a Hyatt. I hear the breakfast is so so though (if you're a globalist). Not sure if you care about the breakfast.

I like the area a lot too. Very close to St. Marks - lots of awesome food if you're looking for food. Zundo Ya has awesome ramen and walking maybe 5 minutes if you like ramen. Taisho is also about 5-7 minutes walking if you like izakaya stuff. I hear the Hyatt House Chelsea is nice too. You'll still need to take a train, but also worth considering maybe?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:36 pm

Any recent stays? Will be here next week.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I would read what 777 wrote above. Only stayed once and do not plan to go back. Small room and limited breakfast and high rates...
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

777 is probably still on the ball. This property hasn't gotten any better since WOH was implemented.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:07 am

It's a great location, but the cost-value proposition is poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.