Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Union Square REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Gilt City has a deal on The Fourth that could be of interest to those staying here:
http://www.giltcity.com/newyork/thefourthandsinglnyc

And as a neighbor, I'll recommend Everyman Espresso on 13th near 3rd for anyone who may need more coffee after the insufficient breakfast credit.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Alaska MVP 75, UA Silver, Starwod/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Has anyone had any success in switching from Alcove Loft to Urbane Double Queen when checking in? Two guys traveling to New York next month. Alcove Loft looks so oddly shaped that I am thinking Urbane Double Queen might be just more comfortable. They call it a Deluxe room but it looks just like a regular room (but hey, I guess this is New York).

I actually have HTS booked (used DSU) but Union Square is much more exciting/chill than tourist infested TS. I would jump on Andaz 5th if they had Splash suite available...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:26 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by NotAnother
Has anyone had any success in switching from Alcove Loft to Urbane Double Queen when checking in? Two guys traveling to New York next month. Alcove Loft looks so oddly shaped that I am thinking Urbane Double Queen might be just more comfortable. They call it a Deluxe room but it looks just like a regular room (but hey, I guess this is New York).

I actually have HTS booked (used DSU) but Union Square is much more exciting/chill than tourist infested TS. I would jump on Andaz 5th if they had Splash suite available...
I agree very odd shaped room prefer the handicapped rooms however only one bed!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
The Alcove Loft is perfect for the single traveler I'm pretty much upgraded to this room when I stay here. But for two men, I would not recommend it unless you are traveling with someone special you don't mind being close to. I wound not recommend any room at this hotel for double occupancy.

I would rather have a standard or deluxe room at Andaz 5th avenue if I needed a room for 2 people. I love the Hyatt Union Square but rooms are tiny and the Alcove loft is basally a large corner King. Keep in mind the rooms here are so small there is no sitting area, most rooms offer no private sink or dressing area. There are a few that offer a private shower and sink combo, but it's small. The rooms at the Andaz 5th avenue are much more spacious and the Diamond breakfast far superior.

Andaz 5th avenue is not that far from the Village or Union Sq. If you are looking for comfort for 2, I'd move to the Andaz.

Originally Posted by NotAnother

Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:01 pm

From JFK to this hotel, is it better to take the E train then change to #6 on 53rd/Lexington or is there a better option using Metro?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Alaska MVP 75, UA Silver, Starwod/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
The Alcove Loft is perfect for the single traveler I'm pretty much upgraded to this room when I stay here. But for two men, I would not recommend it unless you are traveling with someone special you don't mind being close to. I wound not recommend any room at this hotel for double occupancy.

I would rather have a standard or deluxe room at Andaz 5th avenue if I needed a room for 2 people. I love the Hyatt Union Square but rooms are tiny and the Alcove loft is basally a large corner King. Keep in mind the rooms here are so small there is no sitting area, most rooms offer no private sink or dressing area. There are a few that offer a private shower and sink combo, but it's small. The rooms at the Andaz 5th avenue are much more spacious and the Diamond breakfast far superior.

Andaz 5th avenue is not that far from the Village or Union Sq. If you are looking for comfort for 2, I'd move to the Andaz.
Thanks guys for the input. I have ruled out Union Square. Now I remember that I stayed in a courtyard studio once and that bathroom area was too exposed! We don't mind sharing a bed but need some room to walk around. So I narrowed down my options to:

- Hyatt Times Square (refundable booked, DSU applied)
- Andaz 5th Ave (just booked refundable rate, may get in touch with Diamond line to get a smaller suite before DSU expires)
- W Union Square (can get pretty descent non refundable rates and may use SNA)

I guess I will wait until last minute to see what opens up...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Completed a stay this past weekend at the Hyatt Union Square with my GF.

I got a fairly competitive cash rate and used a DSU, confirmable at booking into an Alcove Suite. The room is oddly designed, but was nice for the two of us. We liked the windows and even used the small table to eat dinner one night. As others have mentioned, there's not a lot of privacy depending on who you're traveling with.

Breakfast was taken in the cafe at The Fourth. We received $25 per person that was applied to the final bill. I still ended up owing a little in tip. The food was fine. I enjoyed the french toast.

I like that decor of the hotel. It's hip but not too flashy or obnoxious like a W. The hotel staff were very friendly.

The gym was nice. Several machines with tvs. They even had the channel guide printed, which was a nice touch. Also note that there are free water bottles in the gym.

Overall, my GF and I enjoyed our stay over our usual Sheraton Times Square points redemption. We'll likely be back depending on rates, but may try the Andaz as well.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:25 am

Are the The Alcove Lofts reasonably quiet? Wondering what room/suite to aim for here, in order to get the best night sleep before travelling back to Europe AND at the same time not stay in a shoe box.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Great location, superior service most of the time, TOO MANY mistakes and errors

I've been staying at this hotel monthly since it open, I love the location and for the most part staff is friendly, eager to help. Michael the front desk supervisor shows the effort, nice friendly, great attitude!

But... there is one thing that is really pissing me off about this hotel, the constant errors and mistakes. I cross my fingers before I arrive that my stay will be hassle free.

On one stay when I was using a Diamond Suite upgrade, I arrived, tired and worn out from my trans-con flight. The host greeted me and said, "oh looks like you have already checked in"... she gave me a key so I went up to my suite. When I arrived, it had a DND sign on the door... it turns out they have given my room away to someone else who had an identical name... I guess no one had checked the address , there were no more suites left in the hotel so I spent the night in a standard room. The next day they upgraded me to one of the superior suites and told me they would redeposit my Diamond Suite Upgrade Certificate and take care of the pervious night. I called Hyatt today, ( 1 month later) the Diamond Suite upgrade was never redeposited.

Furthermore, I have yet to have had a stay where my bill was perfect, no errors. Every time I check out there is a mistake, from the wrong room rate, charged for a Diamond Breakfast, charged for mini-bar items never used... and yesterday I noticed an unauthorized charge on my credit card... from, you guest it... the Hyatt Union Square! I don't trust this hotel with my credit card!!! Also it takes about 7 - 10 days to see the credit... I feel if they charge my card in error with a blink of an eye, they can credit the card just as quick. Beyond the billing errors, housekeeping falls short on every stay... I leave a nice tip, a note requesting toothpaste, extra body wash... they take the tip but don't deliver on the request.

As most of you know I stay at many hotels, I have never experienced this at any other property. I love the area, nice hotel, but service is hit and miss, it can be superior to down right reckless. I'm really having a struggle, is the location I love worth the hassle??? is it time to move to another hotel...

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Oct 9, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I've been staying at this hotel monthly since it open, I love the location and for the most part staff is friendly, eager to help. Michael the front desk supervisor shows the effort, nice friendly, great attitude!

But... there is one thing that is really pissing me off about this hotel, the constant errors and mistakes. I cross my fingers before I arrive that my stay will be hassle free.

On one stay when I was using a Diamond Suite upgrade, I arrived, tired and worn out from my trans-con flight. The host greeted me and said, "oh looks like you have already checked in"... she gave me a key so I went up to my suite. When I arrived, it had a DND sign on the door... it turns out they have given my room away to someone else who had an identical name... I guess no one had checked the address , there were no more suites left in the hotel so I spent the night in a standard room. The next day they upgraded me to one of the superior suites and told me they would redeposit my Diamond Suite Upgrade Certificate and take care of the pervious night. I called Hyatt today, ( 1 month later) the Diamond Suite upgrade was never redeposited.

Furthermore, I have yet to have had a stay where my bill was perfect, no errors. Every time I check out there is a mistake, from the wrong room rate, charged for a Diamond Breakfast, charged for mini-bar items never used... and yesterday I noticed an unauthorized charge on my credit card... from, you guest it... the Hyatt Union Square! I don't trust this hotel with my credit card!!! Also it takes about 7 - 10 days to see the credit... I feel if they charge my card in error with a blink of an eye, they can credit the card just as quick. Beyond the billing errors, housekeeping falls short on every stay... I leave a nice tip, a note requesting toothpaste, extra body wash... they take the tip but don't deliver on the request.

As most of you know I stay at many hotels, I have never experienced this at any other property. I love the area, nice hotel, but service is hit and miss, it can be superior to down right reckless. I'm really having a struggle, is the location I love worth the hassle??? is it time to move to another hotel...
I would find somewhere else. I don't trust a hotel that charges my CC (and me) with impunity. The housekeeping errors is something I also encountered at Andaz 5th Avenue. Hosts that said they would bring it and never did. I sympathize with you.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:03 pm

I dont see the Alcove Suite anymore. Just the Empyreal and the Sanctuary suites. Are these what a DSU will book into now?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
My SO and I just returned from a three night stay at the Hyatt Union Square and we both enjoyed it immensely. Booked and received Alcove Loft (aka Alcove Suite) at an excellent $259/night My Hyatt rate. Check in was friendly and efficient. I was given a Diamond Breakfast letter advising me of the $25/person limit daily (very disappointing). As it turned out we were on the run every morning and never got a chance to eat it though the Fourth restaurant looked very nice.

We were given room 711 which is high enough to have a decent view of the top of the Empire State Building (it is on the northeast corner of the hotel). It was fairly spacious (by NYC standards) and relatively quiet as well. The wood floors and white built ins give it modern and elegant feel. There is a small entry hall with a closet that opens to the sitting area with sofa, small drink table, two chairs and built in desk/dining table. My only complaint is that the sofa is attractive but not designed for comfort. The minibar is actually a refrigerated drawer and had room to store my own Coke Zero (no Pepsi for me). I really wish I had a nightstand like it at home!

The small but functional bathroom is through a sliding pocket door opposite the north facing windows. The sink area is quite small for two but the spacious shower is luxurious in white marble tile and had great water pressure. The toilet is in its own little room behind a pocket door and features a handy built in magazine rack.

The bedroom area features more built in cabinets for storage and a wonderful Hyatt bed with the usual perfect down pillows. I am a recent Hyatt convert (from SPG Platinum 100) and the fabulous pillows are one of the things I really appreciate so far. There are blackout curtains that did a pretty good job of blocking the light though I think that roller shades would go better with the modern decor. The room is perfect for lovers though it might lack the privacy desired by two friends or family members.

Public areas are elegant and well designed. The two story lobby is intimate with a nice seating area to the left and two check in desks to the right as you enter off Fourth Avenue. There are only two elevators for 178 rooms but we never waited more than a few minutes at any time of day. Hallways are well lit and seem very well maintained for NYC. The 24 hour basement fitness center is wonderful with a great mix of new cardio equipment, weight machines and free weights. Union Square location is ideal for those who want to stroll down to SoHo or up to a Broadway show (we did both). Cabs were waiting out front every time we headed out as well and there are several subway lines a block away.

My only real complaints are about the stingy Diamond Breakfast allowance and inconsistent housekeeping. I asked for a nightly room refresh but only got it one night out of three. The bathroom floor was not cleaned well either. I reached out to management and they were quite nice and offered to personally make sure we were better taken of next time. Overall we had a great experience here that far exceeded my expectations. I would not be surprised to see this become a Centric though as it definitely has that vibe.

Last edited by jchiguy1; Feb 9, 2016 at 10:21 pm Reason: Correction
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Housekeeping and the Diamond Breakfast allowance are this hotels major down fall, housekeeping is awful, inconsistent. I've always gone over the $25 breakfast allowance and have had it waved.

Front Office Staff, including engineering is wonderful, and the evening bartenders at the 4th are very pleasant. They past few trips to NYC I've stayed at a non-Hyatt Brand, when I walk by the Hyatt Union Square the doorman still greets me by name.

Originally Posted by jchiguy1
My only real complaints are about the stingy Diamond breakfast allowance and inconsistent housekeeping.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just stayed here for the first time on a $197 rate. Pretty consistent with others' comments. Love the staff and the location. In fact, I'm not sure there's a better location in Manhattan if you like being downtown but not too far from midtown. Also appreciated the various lobby seating areas.

Was upgraded to room on 11th floor facing to the east. Decor is nice, but wow that room is tiny. I really miss having some kind of seating area. I also really dislike the door opening directly into the room. Minimal street noise, such that I was able to leave window cracked at night, which is a huge plus in my book.

I didn't like the breakfast menu at all. Where's the classic american breakfast? Got the oatmeal and it was a soupy mess. And of course the $25 limit is absurd. Oatmeal, coffee, and OJ was $24.50 without tip. Technically, they are not complying with the Diamond breakfast benefit.

I might return for the location and the staff, but probably wouldn't pay over $250. Andaz 5th is so much more appealing to me with the large rooms and fantastic breakfast benefit.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Follow-up. In my post-stay "feedback" survey I gave this property very high marks, particularly for service. I did comment that the $25 breakfast credit was inadequate and not compliant with GP rules.

Here's the nonsense e-mail I just received back:
Dear XXX,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the near future. I will pass on the feedback regarding the Global Passport perks four diamond members to the Gold Passport team and our General Manager. If there is anything we can do to make your stays with us more comfortable please do not hesitate to let us know.

Sincerely,

xxx
Assistant Director of Front Office
Hyatt Union Square
They would do better not to respond at all than to send this sort of gibberish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.