Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Has anyone stayed here recently especially during Corona in the past few weeks?

HR is the only Hyatt open in Bangkok right now, usually I stay at GH.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Would it be worth it to pay 13k points a night for the standard suite?

as compared to 8k a night for a standard room
The 8k redemption is now off the table anyway since category changes have been postponed.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:51 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Would it be worth it to pay 13k points a night for the standard suite?

as compared to 8k a night for a standard room
If you can get the suite for 13K, then it's very well worth it. Hyatt points are valued at 1.5 to 1.8 cents each plus you will be spared the ++ (17.7%) expense!
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Has anyone stayed here recently especially during Corona in the past few weeks?

HR is the only Hyatt open in Bangkok right now, usually I stay at GH.
I have stayed at both properties many times over (before COVID19) and although I love the location and the grandeur of the GHE, the HR offers a much superior accommodations.

skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:26 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The HR is a million times than that dump of a GH
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kalboz
although I love the location and the grandeur of the GHE, the HR offers a much superior accommodations.
What do you like more about the location of the GH than the regency? Whenever I stay at the WA (next door to GH) I always tell myself Id rather be at the PH/HR location wise (I do love the WA though)
Old May 6, 2020, 5:03 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by jinrop
What do you like more about the location of the GH than the regency? Whenever I stay at the WA (next door to GH) I always tell myself Id rather be at the PH/HR location wise (I do love the WA though)
I know your question was not directed at me, but if I may offer my opinion: I prefer a hotel on the BTS Sukhumvit line rather than Silom line, but the best is being at the intersection of the two, which means Grand Hyatt, not Hyatt Regency. PH makes up for it by being attached to a large shopping mall therefore great location. WA is not far from GH but it requires a short walk so GH is the better of the two if I had to pick.

HR is not in a subpar location by any stretch of the imagination but I prefer the location of GH or PH.
Kalboz likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jinrop
Don't get me wrong, I love the HR but the central location of the GHE is a tad better culturally and otherwise. Once we traveled outside Bangkok to visit ancient temples by the Chin River (January 10, 2020). We were staying at the HR and missed happy hour. The kids wanted to eat dinner at T21's McDonald's and by the time we walked back to the HR it was around 10PM. The area might be fun and interesting for the party-bound travelers but not for a family. The McDonald's and the entire area was loaded with hookers from T21 to the HR, rambunctious and scantily clad hookers who did not hold back!
Old May 6, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Don't get me wrong, I love the HR but the central location of the GHE is a tad better culturally and otherwise. Once we traveled outside Bangkok to visit ancient temples by the Chin River (January 10, 2020). We were staying at the HR and missed happy hour. The kids wanted to eat dinner at T21's McDonald's and by the time we walked back to the HR it was around 10PM. The area might be fun and interesting for the party-bound travelers but not for a family. The McDonald's and the entire area was loaded with hookers from T21 to the HR, rambunctious and scantily clad hookers who did not hold back!
I mean it's Bangkok, what do you expect…

There are far more hookers inside the hotel at the Grand Hyatt than at the Hyatt Regency. The GH is famously home to one of the more known hooker bars in BKK. Dreadful place it is, too.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
I mean it's Bangkok, what do you expect…

There are far more hookers inside the hotel at the Grand Hyatt than at the Hyatt Regency. The GH is famously home to one of the more known hooker bars in BKK. Dreadful place it is, too.
Not all Bangkok is seedy contrary to the common misconception. Only 3-4 areas are "designated" for adult entertainment.

Been staying at the GHE since 2009 and can not attest to this - maybe at the Italian place under the lobby floor after hours but never at the lobby or publically visiable. The same at the HR, it is a very respectable place.

The location is what we are discussing, and the Sukhumvit area is definitely seedier than the Ratchaprasong/Ratchdamri intersection.
NoY likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:58 am

Grand Hyatt. Spasso on an average night.

If it wasn't clear, 99% of these girls are prostitutes.

The Hyatt Regency bars are far classier places.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:35 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
New campaign from this hotel where, from now until the end of March 2021, 250 lucky buyers can get the following in exchange for 1 million of their hard-earned THB [approx. 33000 USD]:
  • 365-night stay for two at HR Bangkok Sukhumvit in a club level room with Regency Club access
  • 200,000 THB credit at the hotel
  • 10 limousine rides in Bangkok
  • 10 nights at any HR properties in Hua Hin, Phuket and Koh Samui
  • Free executive medical checkup at Bumrungrad International Hospital [one of the program's partners]
  • These perks are transferable to family members or up to four corporate members
This works out to about 90 USD per night before factoring in the hotel credit, stays at other properties, city-wide transfers and medical checkup. Wow.

khabah
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:24 am

I have to give credit to the creativity of this promo but HR is currently very expensive compared to other hotels, and this promo remains expensive in my opinion for anybody who would already have free lounge access via elite status with Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, etc. You can book many equivalent hotels in the range 1.2k THB to 2.5k THB right now, many from Marriott chain including Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit or JW Marriott, but also others such as Conrad, etc. and retain all flexibility to change properties within Bangkok or decide to spend more time than only 10 nights in HH, Phuket, or KS. That's not even considering how much lower rates you could get if you tried negotiating a long-term price at those other properties rather than booking standard rates online. And for such a long stay, I am not sure whether it would qualify to earn Hyatt points and most likely no suite upgrade for Globalists so it makes it even more expensive than the headline would show, relative to booking individual hotels one by one. Besides, if someone was dead set against hotel hopping then why not book Marriott Executive Apartments or better yet Marriott Surawongse which has 1-2 bedroom suites with full kitchen + washer and dryer. Personally I would not want to be in a club room (non-suite) for 365 days minus the 10 spent in resorts. I guess for someone without elite status at any chain, the value equation might be different because they will factor in the value of club access.

I would like to book at HR but they will have to bring rates down if they don't want to be stuck at 3-4% occupancy.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 8:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If it was 250K THB it would be worthwhile looking into. 1M THB is ridiculous.

This offer is the same cost a a 5* hotel in the Maldives is offering for over-water suites. It must just be a trial balloon to see what the appetite from Chinese and Japanese businessmen is at the moment. If I wanted to spend more time in Bangkok and wanted to get my firm to pay for it, going for a flat rate hotel stay is how I would do it.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
If it was 250K THB it would be worthwhile looking into. 1M THB is ridiculous.
Completely ridiculous. This place wouldn't make my top 10 list of Bangkok properties I'd want to stay at for 30 days, let alone 365.
Originally Posted by khabah
10 nights at any HR properties in Hua Hin, Phuket and Koh Samui
Interesting, given that Samui is not open yet (and scheduled "mid-2021" opening seems doubtful).
Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Completely ridiculous. This place wouldn't make my top 10 list of Bangkok properties I'd want to stay at for 30 days, let alone 365.
Interesting, given that Samui is not open yet (and scheduled "mid-2021" opening seems doubtful).
There might not even be a single hotel where I would want to spend 365 days in Bangkok, not even the nicest properties. I enjoy a change in scenery once in a while, and similar to you 30 days at HR would be more than I would be willing to do.

I had similar thoughts about Koh Samui. They make it sound optimistic that HR will be open in 2021 which I was previously skeptical about given the circumstances. Even HR Phuket I would not bet my life that they will actually reopen in April as planned.
3rdworldresident likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.