Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by RTW1
Yeah, it's really hard to miss al those posts on this board where people are raving about their stay at the Park-Inn Hoofddorp compared to staying at the Andaz :-).

Those Diamond upgrades will be guaranteed as well....none that is.

And sure, I also feel that the Andaz prices are over the top. But they still seem to sell a lot of rooms.

And what is the price of enjoying a late night drink (or whatever) and then strolling back to your hotel, instead of walking to the station, having to take a 20-30minute trainride and then walking 20minutes through the most desolated area you can find in Hoofddorp.

Don't get me wrong, variety is good. But they will be competing in two different leagues. And your comparison with the Sheraton is a bit misleading as well... That location is way more convenient for most, but also commands higher rates than those hotels located in Hoofddorp.
It is nearly impossible to count all the emails I received from other members over the years re parking in AMS and other Hyatt properties in Europe.

We do not have to mention again that parking at the Andaz was supposed to be free, which would have been a tremendous value.

We also do not have to mention that parking a car once in this area of Amsterdam is roughly as expensive as parking in Dusseldorf, Hamburg, and Berlin combined.

So aside from $ 400 for the room, you pay another $ 80 for the parking.

Again, in AMS you cannot have everything, but at least these threads should highlight the various alternatives people have in and around AMS. You mentioned some very good and valuable points regarding the area of the HP in HD

With only 100+ rooms, I do not expect the Andaz to reduce the rates significantly, aside maybe from a short period around New Years...

So, basically this discussion seems to serve the readers quite well, as it lists all the pros and cons of the HP and AD.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yeah, parking in Amsterdam is a cashcow for most places. Even the "airport" hotels, that are not even located that close to the airport, charge quite hefty fees. So I don't expect the HP to have free parking either...... A fee from €5 upto €20 a day is no exception.

The "best" alternative when having a car could be parking it in one of the park&ride's...

But your stay in Amsterdam will be so much better when you are somewhere in the center vs being on the outskirts. Not the same experience at all.

Last edited by RTW1; Aug 25, 2013 at 3:44 am
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:20 pm

experience with free nights?

have just booked 2 nights for late April 2014 as part of the Hyatt credit card intro offer (and by virtue of holding the card, I'm a Diamond member) - has anyone done this yet? I don't expect anything other than the most basic room (facing the courtyard), but will be happy with that since the location is fabulous (I actually am a fan of the Pulitzer...) - does one get any Diamond benefits (e.g. breakfast) on a free stay?
possibly most important question - what time is the happy hour for drinks etc. in the lobby?
2nd question is again for clarification re: shower situation - is there really no separation between the bath area (once outside the cool-sounding shower wall) and the bedroom?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:08 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Were you already Diamond when you applied for the card? If so your free nights should be in a suite.

Not sure what you mean but just having the card gets you Platinum status (not Diamond). Plstinums do not get breakfast.

All Diamond perks apply to all Hyatt stays - revenue, awards, 3rd party bookings (even Priceline/Hotwire).
Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:29 pm

apology re: Diamond!

sorry - it did just occur to me that I am Platinum NOT Diamond (as peteropny correctly points out, only by virtue of holding the card) - apologies for taking the discussion in the wrong direction - so - no benefits available? (aside from getting 2 free nights!)
any other FT'ers (even if only Platinum not Diamond) taken advantage of this in AMS who have anything to report re: their stay?

Last edited by 2Ruse; Sep 9, 2013 at 8:35 pm
Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: Co-branded credit card status moocher
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
2nd question is again for clarification re: shower situation - is there really no separation between the bath area (once outside the cool-sounding shower wall) and the bedroom?
Zero separation. The shower is about 7-8 feet from the edge of the bed, with the sink/vanity between. It's a little weird.

Also, the glass in the shower is about 95% opaque so it mostly blocks the person inside from view, but it's not completely one-way if you get my drift.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Vaitrucci
Also, the glass in the shower is about 95% opaque so it mostly blocks the person inside from view, but it's not completely one-way if you get my drift.
which can be a good thing....
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
have just booked 2 nights for late April 2014 as part of the Hyatt credit card intro offer (and by virtue of holding the card, I'm a Diamond member) - has anyone done this yet? I don't expect anything other than the most basic room (facing the courtyard), but will be happy with that since the location is fabulous (I actually am a fan of the Pulitzer...) - does one get any Diamond benefits (e.g. breakfast) on a free stay?
possibly most important question - what time is the happy hour for drinks etc. in the lobby?
I redeemed points as a platinum member (49 nights at the time ) for a 3 night stay in late august and had a corner room facing the canal.

Loved this hotel.

Also, I discovered a curtain I could extend from the main entryway wall along the vanity. It was only one curtain and I could not cut off the other open face (between vanity and bed).
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I'm in the middle of a four night award stay, combination of free nights and credit card certificates. This is the beginning of a four month long holiday through Europe for me.

I was originally planning on using my certificates at the PH Paris and staying at a Radisson property near Centraal station. However, I had the good fortune to be staying in AMS during IBC week. Radisson blu wanted a min 5 night stay stay so I booked the park plaza Victoria.

I ended up canceling the Paris part of the trip, so had my free night certificates free up. since this is the only practical chance I had to use them, I switched to the Andaz.

I very much like the Andaz. I am so not a fan of entry level rooms in Europe, as they are tiny! This American likes his space. To that end, my courtyard king is sufficiently sized. I like decor. I like the lighting, can be very soft and relaxing.

I'm mixed on the location. My travels have taken me to Centraal Station quite a bit, leaving me thinking I would have like the location better. So part of me thinks the trade off is location vs space. The hotel itself is not right on the tram line either. Not far, but not next to it.

As far as the other stuff... I am a hard product guy, and usually do not eat in Hotel restaurants when I am in the city.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:02 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lightbulb Finding a good rate at Andaz Amsterdam

Have heard from some others asking me why is Andaz Amsterdam so expensive?
Can't disagree most of the time its gone up since the opening last year.
I was going back at almost any rate as I personally liked the team and my experience immensely.
Last I saw rates could be 337 Euros a night plus 5% Tax or higher.

For those wishing to stay 3 nights there is a package available on select dates called "3 Is A Charm".
This package rate gives one a rate of 320 Euros per night for all 3 nights.
The nice part about the package especially for the non diamond members is that full breakfast buffet is included and the final night is free and deducted at check out
making the rate effectively 640 Euros for all 3 nights or approx 213 Euros a night ^
Certainly a good value for most less so if elite top tier where your breakfast is also included anyway.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 13, 2013 at 10:10 am
Old Sep 14, 2013, 3:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Have heard from some others asking me why is Andaz Amsterdam so expensive?
Can't disagree most of the time its gone up since the opening last year.
I was going back at almost any rate as I personally liked the team and my experience immensely.
Last I saw rates could be 337 Euros a night plus 5% Tax or higher.
One should not forget that we are talking about a major major year for the City of Amsterdam. Re-opening of some of the most relevant cultural centres on the planet, Rijksmuseum, van Gogh Museum, 125 years Concertgebouw. They even managed to ´find´ a ´new´ van Gogh painting a few days ago.

And during high demand periods earlier this year, the Andaz was actually priced quite solid (they probably did not figure out the demand peaks just yet)

And it is a small hotel after all in a city infamous for hotel room shortages.

In any case, visiting AMS is worth every penny, I just recommend spending less Euro Cents in cheaper hotels or the Hyatt Place.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Stayed here for the first time last month. Nice place in a nice location and of course ludicrously over-priced. But, this is central Amsterdam, people will pay that and they know it. I wouldn't pay the current rates to stay there so will stick to award stays as I did this time, or stick with the Pulitzer a few blocks down Prinsengracht

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I’d put this property on par with the Park Hyatt Sydney (in some ways better)
This is, frankly, a ludicrous comment imo. But, each to their own and all that.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 11:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Back from the Park Hyatt Sydney

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Stayed here for the first time last month. Nice place in a nice location and of course ludicrously over-priced. But, this is central Amsterdam, people will pay that and they know it. I wouldn't pay the current rates to stay there so will stick to award stays as I did this time, or stick with the Pulitzer a few blocks down Prinsengracht

This is, frankly, a ludicrous comment imo. But, each to their own and all that.

Agreed to each their own in opinions and perceptions
My thought process doesn't have to do with views the Iconic Rocks and the Opera House vs Amsterdam canal view or gardens
Its all about guest satisfaction with customer service and the overall experience as well as the hard product/guest room and end experience.
What you walk away with in perception after ones individual experience.
Breaking it down and you may never see my point
let me start by saying I am enormous fan of both hotels despite any minor shortcomings found in either property.

At Andaz Amsterdam there is a stand out GM Toni Hinterstoisser
He takes the time to get out of the office and meet and greet many guests
and listens closely to guest feedback. He treats his team members like family and empowers them to make guests happy^
IMHO he ranks up there with the top 20 GMs in my over 30 years with Hyatt Hotels

At the Park Hyatt Sydney another exceptional talent in the GM there
Andrew Mensforth.Perhaps the best GM the hotel has ever had in the hotels history.
Imagine my surprise when he called me personally in the room to see how things were and share some information about in house changes and it was after 5 PM!~
Hard product (the rooms @ both hotels) both beautiful and different styles
Having said that I'd give the design award to the Dutch designer at Andaz Amsterdam over those that redid the Park Hyatt rooms though a nod to PH rooms in space.
Like both well enough but still hoped for somewhat more at the Park.
Food and beverage room service quality and execution at Andaz Amsterdam was better
Not that either property is likely ever going to be Grand Hyatt Tokyo in baking or fine dining! Like everything else subjective

I return next month to Andaz Amsterdam and have no idea what to expect.
It’s a year later and don't know which team members remain or who has taken their place. I could be positive or negative
For the opening of Andaz Amsterdam they had folks working in house from the most premium Hyatt Hotels in the world. I for one was impressed.

Could easily debate a number of small service failures at Park Hyatt Sydney that weren't as good as Andaz Amsterdam last year.
Having said that any issues were easily overcome by the most dedicated team members at PH Sydney to their credit that are for the most part
making sure of the best guest experience any Hyatt guest could hope for to the best of their ability

At the end of the day I salute both hotels the Park Hyatt Sydney at 800 dollars a night and up or 22k in GP Points
or Andaz Amsterdam 240 Euros a night and up or 18k In GP points
Making Andaz Amsterdam a strong value and top performer if they continue to have high service levels and positive unique experiences for their guests

A Proud waving flag member of the ludicrous opinion club
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
Hotel of the year

Andaz Amsterdam just has been chosen for the Hotel of the year 2013 of the Netherlands by GaultMillau

Source(dutch): http://www.missethoreca.nl/Hotel/Nie...Jaar-1398151W/
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Looking at the rates in May and they are staggering... 400 EUR a night or so. Should I expect them to stay the same? I could finagle enough points for the two night booking so I'll probably lock it in at the old rate of 18K per night and see if perhaps cash & points will have space...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.