Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
It's 10c in Amsterdam, so I doubt your room will cool more than 2-3c if you are gone, even for a whole day.... So please do tell, what is freezing cold? :-).
To me 10c is freezing! I don't have the hearty constitution of you European types!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry, couldn't help myself from laughing at freezing.... Yeah it's annoying when housekeeping sets everything to the standard settings each day.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:30 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by RTW1
It's 10c in Amsterdam, so I doubt your room will cool more than 2-3c if you are gone, even for a whole day.... So please do tell, what is freezing cold? :-).
Originally Posted by chad75
To me 10c is freezing! I don't have the hearty constitution of you European types!
Yeah, I was thinking the same. It's "super warm" in Amsterdam this week. Though, a bit windy.

But, my perspective is the Boston area (and New Hampshire).

I tend to judge "cold" by how I feel when I walk my dog along a canal at 06:00. And lately, it's been pretty decent.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I tend to judge "cold" by how I feel when I walk my dog along a canal at 06:00. And lately, it's been pretty decent.
Your dog will probably like the temperature drop this weekend, mine does :-).
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
A bit off-topicl, but is the HR Amsterdam likely to be open by April 2016? I'm afraid that without a lounge to offset dining cost, the Andaz is just too pricey for us, especially the way the yen has been going.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
A bit off-topicl, but is the HR Amsterdam likely to be open by April 2016? I'm afraid that without a lounge to offset dining cost, the Andaz is just too pricey for us, especially the way the yen has been going.
Construction is scheduled until 6/2016 now. In Western Europe, the schedules are heavily dependant on the weather in Winter and how much they can actually do throughout the colder months, so I guess it is pure speculation by now.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The project partners involved also mention a project that runs until 06/2016 so I would not plan on staying here before September.... And although I have no way of actually knowing anything about rates, the owner is the same one that owns the Andaz so I would count on high rates here as well. Amsterdam has become quite expensive.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:06 am

Thanks. We won't be planning on it for 2016 then. I'll take a look at Andaz rates again when we start actually planning this coming May.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Thanks. We won't be planning on it for 2016 then. I'll take a look at Andaz rates again when we start actually planning this coming May.
2016 will be an interesting year for travelling within Europe, mostly due to the Euro 2016 (June 10-July 10) in France. In general, most of Germany and the Netherlands will start their summer holidays around the second week of July, so coming over to Europe in mid July vs. mid June should save one 20% on hotel stays easily. For France and Bavaria, August is the cheapest month for city travel resulting not only in lower rates, but also significantly better upgrade ratios etc.

Regarding the rates at the HR Amsterdam; given the location and the size of the property; I actually expect some corporate rates in the very high 100's with most regular rates starting in the low 200's going to the high 200's for most of the year, pretty much comparable to the Pulitzer. Therefore, the property should start at 20k with an outsider chance of being one category lower during the first months.

One has to give the folks at the Andaz a lot of credit, rates were exactly where they wanted them to be in the beginning with significant increases over the last months. Hence, it is not surprising to see the Andaz going up one category early next year.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Your comparison to other parts of Europe might be right, but it isn't for Amsterdam. And certainly not for the Andaz. Rates have remained high in July and August and occupancy has been good in the past. This isn't a very good location for most business travel so they get less than average of that here.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
The Andaz is nice, has a great breakfast and you can grab a glass of complimentary wine in the evenings but I don't not see the category hike being justified.

This hotel can be had for 260+. In the current category it was high I thought but now it will make reward stays total no sense.

On cash stays it is pricey for what it is and on P&Cs it was worthwhile but not anymore.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dewby
The Andaz is nice, has a great breakfast and you can grab a glass of complimentary wine in the evenings but I don't not see the category hike being justified.

This hotel can be had for 260+. In the current category it was high I thought but now it will make reward stays total no sense.

On cash stays it is pricey for what it is and on P&Cs it was worthwhile but not anymore.
Honestly, going from 10K and $125 to 12.5k and $150 is not a big factor at all. And if you take a look at most of the other hotels in Cat.5 , the Andaz AMS is significantly more expensive year-round. I would actually appreciate the low season rates of places like the Grand Champions, Coconut Point or the Grand Washington in Amsterdam. So given the average rate of the property, Cat.5 or 6 seems to be justified.

Under the bottom line, Cat.5 for places like Washington, Naples or Indian Weels in off-season is certainly a really bad joke.

Maybe, we should convince JZ to introduce off-season awards, I would actually even entertain a beta-test ( ) or exchange it against free 'premium' Internet, the latest bad jokes on behalf of JZ.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would venture a guess that (historic) point redemptions play a substantial role in what category a property is classified. It's clear that rates charged is not the only factor here. I generally see that properties where I would consider spending point tend to go up, while less aspirational propeties like HP's tend to go down.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:35 am

The various dates I spot checked were all over €400, with some well over €500. The Golden Week holiday period in Japan at the end of April and beginning of May is the only time I have the nerve to take a 2-3 week vacation from work. Maybe P&C with a DSU would be worth it for us, but as we are not too fussy re dinner, we really would prefer a lounge.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Only my opinion but i just dont see the Andaz as a 500 Euro a Night Hotel.

I like it but i Do not see value or realism at that price.

For under 300 it is ok but any more I would look for alternatives. There are plenty.

The IC can be had for a bargain on points and is superior in location ect.

Waldorf Astoria similar on cash (400 ish).

The Andaz is cool, chic and funky but not at the money you mention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.