Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I booked a one night stay here and was prompted for eStandby Upgrade options. I'm presented with three choices:

- 35 € Garden View
- 95 € Large Canal View
- 3.125 € Prisengracht Suite

Note that the price of the final upgrade says 3.125 and not 3,125. If I were to select this upgrade and then arrive at the hotel, could I really expect to receive the suite for an price of just over three euro? Would screenshots suffice as proof that I was offered this rate at that price? Or is listing prices in the thousands as 3.125 more common in Europe than I think?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:30 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by steveholt
I booked a one night stay here and was prompted for eStandby Upgrade options. I'm presented with three choices:

- 35 € Garden View
- 95 € Large Canal View

Note that the price of the final upgrade says 3.125 and not 3,125. If I were to select this upgrade and then arrive at the hotel, could I really expect to receive the suite for an price of just over three euro? Would screenshots suffice as proof that I was offered this rate at that price? Or is listing prices in the thousands as 3.125 more common in Europe than I think?
Ah, that would be "more common than you think," like EVERYWHERE.

even American Express :

So, I "guess" the short answer is do not expect a €3 suite upgrade.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ever heard we use a different notation here in Europe (and most of the rest of the world). And that strange € sign isn't USD either .
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by RTW1
Ever heard we use a different notation here in Europe (and most of the rest of the world). And that strange € sign isn't USD either .
LOL, I figured (above) showing that even AMERICAN Express using this (common) notation would drive that point home.

But, not to pile on the OP, but in good fun...

This was seriously an amazing laugh to start my morning :

Would screenshots suffice as proof that I was offered this rate at that price?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA

- 35 € Garden View
- 95 € Large Canal View

I urge to take it! There'll be plenty of time to worry about what it means after you get the bill
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
LOL, I figured (above) showing that even AMERICAN Express using this (common) notation would drive that point home.

But, not to pile on the OP, but in good fun...

This was seriously an amazing laugh to start my morning :

That's why I asked! Oh well. Now I know I need to travel more to Europe so I don't seem like such a fool.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:00 am

That's why I asked! Oh well. Now I know I need to travel more to Europe so I don't seem like such a fool.
On the plus side, Amsterdam is quite "user friendly," so you should have few issues... and if you do act like a fool (or seem like a fool), you will be in good company; since there are quite a few fools stumbling around the city.

but, perhaps, more relevant to your post who the heck would spend that kind of € to upgrade to a suite. I've seen buy-ups before, but goodness, that is sure one expensive buy-up (upgrade).

edit to add : a pretty impressive description, though :

prinsengracht suite
For a truly unparalleled Amsterdam experience, discover our one-of-a-kind 141-sq m top-floor suite. It features a 33-sq m roof terrace furnished with cosy seating and the most impressive panoramic views of charming Amsterdam and its iconic ring of canals through floor-to-ceiling windows. Like the rest of the hotel designed by Marcel Wanders, this stylish suite indulges you with a rich, sumptuous décor inspired by local themes and created by an elegant palette of colours and refined materials. Make yourself at home with an impressive living room with large dining table perfect for entertaining, a kitchenette and private library to be used as work or meeting space. The oversized bathroom will spoil you with Marcel Wanders’ famous design ‘the soapbath’ for Bisazza, an extra large walk-in rainfall shower, double sinks, bathroom LCD mirror TV and a wide range of natural toiletries. The suite also features a Geneva sound system with iPod™ dock a 42-inch TV featuring international cable programmes in each room. Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks from the mini-bar, local phone calls and Wi-Fi are complimentary.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:11 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by FD1971
As pointed out before, I do expect the Hyatt Place AMS to become a very very good alternative. Certainly not as convenient as the Andaz, but it will be one of the largest Hyatt properties in Europe (more than 300 rooms), it will be in an area with huge competition already and rates for 4 star properties in the Euro 60-80 range quite often over the Weekends.
Just popping by to say that the HP is now accepting reservations from Jan 31, with HDR on weekdays looking like EUR119, and weekend rates of EUR99 (random dates in Feb). They don't have the My Elite rates loaded yet, but would assume they would work fine giving rates of EUR 98/80, which is quite.... attractive for those of us in Europe and in need of stay credits.

It's a cat 3 for points.

and I know that in another thread I talked about walking away from Hyatt status, but with the advent of C&P, and my likely travel profile this year, I may be back after all
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If you look at the rates for months that are a bit more attractive than you can see that rates are more in the €140-190 range at this time. But I cannot imagine that this will last.... Especially on the weekends where filling 330 rooms at a non-city location will prove to be very challenging, even though they might target groups going to/from the airport as well.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Just popping by to say that the HP is now accepting reservations from Jan 31, with HDR on weekdays looking like EUR119, and weekend rates of EUR99 (random dates in Feb). They don't have the My Elite rates loaded yet, but would assume they would work fine giving rates of EUR 98/80, which is quite.... attractive for those of us in Europe and in need of stay credits.

It's a cat 3 for points.

and I know that in another thread I talked about walking away from Hyatt status, but with the advent of C&P, and my likely travel profile this year, I may be back after all
Thanks for the update. ^

It is one big property in an area known for massive discounts on weekends...

Even the Sheraton Amsterdam is down to high two digit rates on some weekends and is only a tad above Euro 100 on most weekends, if you book at the right time. IIRC, their cheapest rates on weekends used to be Euro 131 for most of the last years. Properties like the Radisson or CP offer rates in the 50's on weekends frequently.

Cat.3 could be a decent value during high-demand periods in Amsterdam

Will be interesting to see how convenient it is to walk to the next railway station. If it is doable without too much hassle, the HP will be a perfect alternative for people with a car.

Actually, a night at the HP might cost as much as a parking spot over night close to the Andaz.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 3:46 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got here for my first stay rather late last night. They were nice and upgraded me to a suite, which is a real suite, and appears to be the only one on this floor in this building. It's not huge by any means but it is adequate.

I'll leave out the design review since that has been done quite adequately already. Only a few notes: the closet for hanging things is tiny and obstructed by the bathroom door. More generally, the closet layout is not very helpful. The rainforest shower was dribbling water in several directions other than just straight down.

Lighting is artsy, which means the fixtures attempt to be cute but are totally inadequate. Impossible to read in the living room by the light of the six 8-watt lamps scattered around.

At my request, they brought in more light, but all they could find was another 8-watt lamp which didn't add much. I should do better tonight because the hotel electrician loaned me the only bright light he had -- an industrial work lamp! He said that others had complained about this issue as well.

It was cold in the room all night and I learned this morning that the heat had been not turned on. That has been fixed I hope, but I won't know until it gets colder tonight.

I liked the breakfast. Staff has been helpful but still sometimes front desk people are hard to find, an Andaz tradition.

Location is charming, I took the 197 bus from the airport and walked from Leidesplein.

I am not a huge Andaz fan as many will know, but unlike the New York Andazii, I would stay here again. I'd put it at about the same level as the Liverpool St Andaz.

Night 2, new and unfortunate negatives:

--Heating turned WAY down during the night.

--Turndown maid removed key from door entry slot (you know, that stupid slot thingie by the doorway) despite my checkin request not to (happened three times in total -- very bad)

--Quirky lighting system refusing to respond to light switches.

Taken together, these are significant negatives that now might cause me to shorten a future stay. I do not like coming back to a cold room or getting cold during the night.

Checked out today. My room was 318 btw. I had a phone chat with the director of operations who told me he was new there (from Andaz Liverpool St) for the sole purpose of fixing all the service and hard product issues. We shall see!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 5, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
I just booked in here for July using diamond suite upgrade, and was able to get down to ~$260/nt using BRG against priceline. Can't wait to check it out and post my review!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Just booked this hotel for the end of August for 2 nights. I needed 2 rooms on cash and points, and the only rooms they had available for C&P were Suites. Seemed a bit strange to me. But the price was 92Euros, plus 10,000 points per night per suite. Great deal considering the regular room for the nights I need is 372 Euros.

I booked them, but am wondering if this is an error? Shouldn't it just be a regular room that is the C&P rate?

I am a Diamond, and do have DSUs available, and was actually going to ask for a suite upgrade, but the CSR beat me to it by telling me the C&P rate would book the suite so I didn't even broach using a DSU.

I hope when I get there we are actually in suites not standard rooms.

ETA: I'm OK if they deduct the DSUs, but there was no mention of it on the call.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by Brituchenite
Just booked this hotel for the end of August for 2 nights. I needed 2 rooms on cash and points, and the only rooms they had available for C&P were Suites. Seemed a bit strange to me. But the price was 92Euros, plus 10,000 points per night per suite. Great deal considering the regular room for the nights I need is 372 Euros.

I booked them, but am wondering if this is an error? Shouldn't it just be a regular room that is the C&P rate?

I am a Diamond, and do have DSUs available, and was actually going to ask for a suite upgrade, but the CSR beat me to it by telling me the C&P rate would book the suite so I didn't even broach using a DSU.

I hope when I get there we are actually in suites not standard rooms.

ETA: I'm OK if they deduct the DSUs, but there was no mention of it on the call.
I had a similar thing happen for another hotel and they did deduct the certificate later. However, YMMV
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by price123
I had a similar thing happen for another hotel and they did deduct the certificate later. However, YMMV
I'm OK with that! Just as long as I know it will happen so I don't "double" use the DSUs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.