Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Hyatt Card Features

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, United Silver, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dw
I received an invite via e-mail this morning to an event Hyatt and Chase are throwing next month at the Andaz on 5th Ave, as a promotion for the new Hyatt Card benefits, that will feature food and cocktail tastings. So cardmembers in the NYC area may want to check their e-mails if you are interested.
Got same thing for an event at Park Hyatt Chicago. Sounds pretty cool.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
A helpful development but unfortunately capped at at 5 stays/10 nights.
Agree. This ruins it. Why cap it and the required spending is too high. See hilton cc instead.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: CX, Delta, Hyatt, SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by dw
I received an invite via e-mail this morning to an event Hyatt and Chase are throwing next month at the Andaz on 5th Ave, as a promotion for the new Hyatt Card benefits, that will feature food and cocktail tastings. So cardmembers in the NYC area may want to check their e-mails if you are interested.

I called the number about 6 hours after getting the email, and they announced it was already completely booked! This was one of my first such perks from Hyatt since getting the credit card/plat. status, and I'm sorry I missed this opportunity. Do they roll around often?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
This card would be of really no value to me until they allow a 1:1 conversion to airline miles. I would lose SO many miles by using the Hyatt Card vs. using my Starwood AMEX card that there is no way it would make any sense.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
At this stage the value proposition of the card is still fairly limited to Chase Sapphire cannibalizing the Hyatt CC. The reason for me keeping the card is not only one 1-4 Cat free night but also the CHIP on the card for overseas travel.
Other than that, I do not understand why so much is spent on marketing by snail mail with heavy and fancy paper.

As for comparisons to Hilton, I am not a diamond anymore but DO NOT want to become a Hyatt Diamond based on CC spending. Hilton is owned by Blackstone (did anybody say cash & ROI). Yes, I know Hyatt is a public firm, but please no Diamond based on spending...

RM
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Rumeli
At this stage the value proposition of the card is still fairly limited to Chase Sapphire cannibalizing the Hyatt CC. The reason for me keeping the card is not only one 1-4 Cat free night but also the CHIP on the card for overseas travel.
RM
FWIW, My CHIP card was worthless buying train tickets in Italy this summer. I couldn't get it to work, so I ended up using my other non-chip card instead.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 1:04 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Rumeli
The reason for me keeping the card is [...] also the CHIP on the card for overseas travel.
Originally Posted by imm2b
FWIW, My CHIP card was worthless buying train tickets in Italy this summer. I couldn't get it to work, so I ended up using my other non-chip card instead.
That's because the Hyatt card isn't chip + pin like other European cards, it's chip + signature. The Hyatt card is not suitable for automated kiosks that only accept chip + pin cards, so the incremental value for international travel is dubious.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Good Point - this would be nice too.

Originally Posted by samonyc
That would certainly persuade me to put more spending on the card (which I'm actually thinking of canceling), but another change I'd prefer is 15,000 annual GP points rather than a single category 4 night. I'd much rather be 15,000 points closer to a category 5 or 6 night than to have to find some category 4 Hyatt to use the annual bonus. For others, getting two nights at a lower category Hyatt might be more appealing. There just aren't enough Hyatts for the annual bonus to be so restrictive.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
$100 per night? What a rip-off

Hyatt Place Dulles South is $67 for this upcoming weekend.

Originally Posted by mreplus
Maybe dishonestly was too harsh of a word. 25 stays at 100$ per night in a Hyatt Place is a 2500$ revenue contribution to Hyatt while spending 40,000$ per year at Chase is surely a greater revenue contribution for them.

My point was that the number of people who would gain diamond through spend would likely be lower than the people who gain diamond through mattress runs so the ridicule and complaints of dilution aren't entirely warranted.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by peteropny
Got a snail mailing on these today.
Originally Posted by sensei
Same here. They must have a pretty significant marketing budget for this card.
Originally Posted by maradori
Just got mine today. Holycow, I've never received anything like this from a credit card before :-::-::-::-::-:
Me, too. However, mine had a printing issue that made it impossible to look at. The printer didn't cut the top of the pages off before stapling it together so it only opens to 3-4 of the pages. Maybe Hyatt should request a refund.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
LOL, $40K spending gets you HHonors diamond status with the Citi Hhonors reserved card and the AMEX HHonors Surpass. With HHonors diamond, you can get very likely suite upgrade upon check-in and free breakfast + lounge access if there is one. Who would spend $40K on Hyatt card to earn 5 stays? Hyatt, you can't compete against your rivals with these "new" features. Try again please.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thegrailer
$100 per night? What a rip-off

Hyatt Place Dulles South is $67 for this upcoming weekend.
Is it possible to get a stay/night credit without actually appearing at the hotel -- that is, can I just do a web checkin on day and and web checkout the next day? There are no Hyatt properties anywhere near me that are ever less than $100 per night, and a way to get some $67 nights would be useful for MR.

-- Never mind, I just found my answer in the sticky "Hyatt FAQs & Tutorial on Getting Hyatt Points" and found the following:
"Yes you must physically check-in (doing web check-in or 800-check-in is not sufficient - you need to check-in at the property either front desk or kiosk and get the keys) for a stay to be "eligible" for points / stay credit... It doesn't matter if the stay is pre-paid or you've checked in via the internet or 800-check-in - if you do not physically check-in, may be considered a "phantom" stay (or a "no show") and not earn you stay credit / points and all that implies."
Too bad...

Last edited by feeb1; Sep 25, 2012 at 2:18 pm Reason: Found the answer.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Are there any downsides I am missing here?

New to this forum ... Do I want to take the snail mail offer I just received?

I do not currently have a Hyatt CC. In fact, I don't stay in Hyatt much, although somehow at some point I became a Hyatt Gold Passport Member and seem to have 16,000 points. I do fly a fair amount, but most of my hotel time is in CDG where the Hyatts seem a bit pricey.

On the other hand, a free hotel weekend getaway from time to time ....

So the offer, if I am reading it correctly, basically says that I would move from Gold to Platinum ("Platinum Status Upgrade"); that there is no fee first year and $75 thereafter; that after one spend/charge I would get "two Free Nights at any Hyatt property worldwide" (even Paris?!); and that I get another each anniversary (so if I held onto the card I would be basically buying a room somewhere annually at $75).

I have excellent credit (I assume -- never checked); not many credit cards; pay the only one I really use (Barclays MC for US miles) every month, always.

No lose sock drawer travel diversification, or trap?

Apologies in advance if I am posting in the wrong place or I have missed spot-on discussion upstream.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:32 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Offer is correct - but the Platinum status doesn't really get you much (other than free Internet) and while the initial signup bonus of 2 free nights is applicable at any Hyatt in the world (including Paris), the annual free night is only up to category 4 (which has some decent properties but not the top properties in the chain).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ard-chase.html is a more complete discussion of the card itself - this thread is mainly discussing the card "improvements" recently announced.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Ahh.. thanks for the details and for the link ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.