New Hyatt Card Features

Old Sep 12, 12, 10:30 am
  #1  
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 1,627
New Hyatt Card Features

Dear FlyerTalkers,

We are excited to announce that on October 1st, we will launch two new features to the Hyatt Credit Card that will make everyday purchases and Hyatt stays even more rewarding for our cardmembers.

Cardmembers will earn 2 points for every $1 spent at restaurants, on airline tickets when purchased directly from the airline, and at car rental agencies. This is in addition to the current earning structure of 3 Hyatt Gold Passport points for every $1 spent at Hyatt properties worldwide and 1 Hyatt Gold Passport point for every $1 spent elsewhere.

Additionally, cardmembers will be able to earn and maintain Diamond status more easily by using the Hyatt Credit Card for all of their purchases as follows:

- Spend $20,000 annually and receive 2 stay / 5 night credits toward Diamond status
- Spend $40,000 annually and receive an additional 3 stay / 5 night credits (for a total of 5 stay and 10 night credits) toward Diamond status

These features were carefully developed based on Hyatt Gold Passport member feedback and research we conducted with our partner Chase. For more information, please visit http://www.hyatthotels.hyatt.com/newcreditcardfeatures.

We look forward to launching these features to help you earn more points and get closer to Diamond membership.

Safe travels,

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
Gold Passport Concierge is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 10:43 am
  #2  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Posts: 3,938
Can I be the first to say 'thanks Hyatt' from all your loyal members outside the US......

I'm starting to feel like the statues...

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Sep 12, 12 at 3:34 pm Reason: to add in link....
Stewie Mac is online now  
Old Sep 12, 12, 10:45 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
Posts: 4,339
Interesting...seems like they are largely tracking the Fairmont Chase card with these enhancements (same double points categories, though Fairmont requires a $7.5K spend for 1 stay credit, and of course Hyatt's requirements are higher than Fairmont's to begin with).
In any case, they ARE enhancements. I will probably get the card before year end.

Last edited by rfrost; Sep 12, 12 at 3:10 pm
rfrost is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 10:50 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Posts: 3,772
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can I be the first to say 'thanks Hyatt' from all your loyal members outside the US......
+1

sigh....

Hyatt, why do you discriminate so much.
DHalltheway is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 10:56 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 38
Sorry to you international folks... but Great enhancement, makes using the card easier vs my other cards w/ 2x on restaurants/air/rental.

Although, 5 stays toward diamond is not as robust as others, say like the Hilton 40k spend.

Last edited by puregravy; Sep 12, 12 at 11:06 am
puregravy is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:08 am
  #6  
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes!
Posts: 15,461
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can I be the first to say 'thanks Hyatt' from all your loyal members outside the US......
+1.
AJLondon is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:14 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CRP
Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Radisson Gold
Posts: 297
Nothing BAD there, but nothing that's going to change my spending habits either. Chase Sapphire is still better on restaurants, rentals, and airline tickets (and other cards are better for specific categories).

Additionally, you can stay 10 nights at a Hyatt for far less than $40k.
ToneDaBass is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:15 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 3,983
A helpful development but unfortunately capped at at 5 stays/10 nights.
JetAway is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MD/DC
Programs: Hilton Gold, PC Ambassador Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Marriot/SPG Gold, TK Gold
Posts: 1,290
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge View Post
Cardmembers will earn 2 points for every $1 spent at restaurants, on airline tickets when purchased directly from the airline, and at car rental agencies.
This makes perfect sense. If you have the Sapphire card you already get this benefit (as the UR points are transferable to Hyatt). Reality is this will not be a driver to use the card unless it goes one step further and increase the point earning above the Sapphire. If I get the same number of points it would go to the Sapphire because of the versatility of the redemption options.
MD/DC Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:15 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: CLE
Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Posts: 3,753
Who exactly makes these decisions for you guys and what are they trying to accomplish?

The reason nobody's spending on the Hyatt card (ostensibly the problem they're trying to solve) is because of the huge advantage had by anyone with Freedom+Sapphire. These new spend benefits (aside for the few stay credits) are all worse that what those cards offer and likely won't change the spending patterns of too many people.

I'll still hang onto the card for the retention bonus, but I almost never use it.
ctownflyer is online now  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:17 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SAN
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, American Air, National Car
Posts: 1,067
Can you have Chase.com add an 'annual spend to date' report to the account display to support this card feature? ... it currently only gives me the last 3 statements, and I'd need to go through my bank statements to see where I am on these spending goals

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge View Post
Dear FlyerTalkers,

We are excited to announce that on October 1st, we will launch two new features to the Hyatt Credit Card that will make everyday purchases and Hyatt stays even more rewarding for our cardmembers.

Cardmembers will earn 2 points for every $1 spent at restaurants, on airline tickets when purchased directly from the airline, and at car rental agencies. This is in addition to the current earning structure of 3 Hyatt Gold Passport points for every $1 spent at Hyatt properties worldwide and 1 Hyatt Gold Passport point for every $1 spent elsewhere.

Additionally, cardmembers will be able to earn and maintain Diamond status more easily by using the Hyatt Credit Card for all of their purchases as follows:

- Spend $20,000 annually and receive 2 stay / 5 night credits toward Diamond status
- Spend $40,000 annually and receive an additional 3 stay / 5 night credits (for a total of 5 stay and 10 night credits) toward Diamond status

These features were carefully developed based on Hyatt Gold Passport member feedback and research we conducted with our partner Chase. For more information, please visit http://www.hyatthotels.hyatt.com/newcreditcardfeatures.

We look forward to launching these features to help you earn more points and get closer to Diamond membership.

Safe travels,

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
4aks is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:22 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IC Plat Amb
Posts: 1,076
Non-event. Chase Sapphire is still superior in all the benefits.
BigRedBears is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:29 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass View Post
Nothing BAD there, but nothing that's going to change my spending habits either. Chase Sapphire is still better on restaurants, rentals, and airline tickets (and other cards are better for specific categories).

Additionally, you can stay 10 nights at a Hyatt for far less than $40k.
Hmmmm.... I guess you mean 40k spend on another cards gets you 40k points/miles etc vs 10 nights x $150-$200 Hyatt place?
puregravy is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:43 am
  #14  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 7,980
I got excited when I received the email earlier thinking game changer for the Hyatt Visa
Was on a conference call and glanced briefly thinking it was free nights for threshold spending like the new Hilton Visa and thought way to go Gold Passport!
Reading more closely its stay credit toward elite status which as many others share is not going to move me from my other Chase card products or American Express Cards.

I also have to question the rational thought process when these are similar benefits of the award winning Starwood Preferred Guest credit card
with read my lips no annual spending thresholds
It appears highly shortsighted not inventive and mimicks other more generous benefits out in the marketplace IMHO
A slight baby step nod for the category spending but easily trumped by other card relationships with far greater versatility in ways to redeem.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 12, 12 at 11:50 am
777 global mile hound is offline  
Old Sep 12, 12, 11:51 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: YYZ, SFO
Programs: Currently is: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA/Marriott/IHG Plat, Hilton Gold # Used to be: AC Super Elite
Posts: 2,334
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Who exactly makes these decisions for you guys and what are they trying to accomplish?

These new spend benefits ... likely won't change the spending patterns of too many people.

I'll still hang onto the card for the retention bonus, but I almost never use it.
For the first question, I think these new features might be related to Hyatt/Chase doing number crunching on the results of a somewhat recent cardholder survey.

I'm the same with you for the next two points though
maradori is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread