Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Hyatt Card Features

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
A more meaningful perk that wouldn't have costed them a lot would have been to upgraded the Cat4 free night for spending nothing to an any category free night after $10k spends. then it would be closer to what Chase Fairmont or Citi Hilton offer with spends.

If Hyatt want spends on the CC this news didn't do it.....

If anything it raised my awareness on how good the chase sapphire card is in the near term. Chase will out smart all the hotel/airline companies after all. Lure then away from Amex, devalue spg (2:1 instead of 1:1 for UA), and away from diners club... Now wait - the 'traditional travel' CC's will get used less, chase with get discounted point costs (much less that we can buy them at), and move to be like Amex MR once was.... Then my speculation is we will see devaluations in sapphire as well. Well ... after the other cards cease to exist. A good business strategy I guess. I just wish SPG still had Southwest as a redemption option, had UA 1:1, or ...... amex with .....
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:02 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mreplus
Pretty sure the number of people who would theoretically become a Diamond from spending forty thousand dollars a year on a Credit Card (every year, no less) will be substantially less than the number of people who mattress run (and thus essentially dishonestly) their way to it.
I'm not sure what you're saying here; that mattress-runners (those who find low rates and stay for 1 night at a time) are "dishonestly" earning Diamond status? Or are you talking about people who book a room and do not show up but still expect room credit (credit for phantom stays)?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by baliktad
I'm not sure what you're saying here; that mattress-runners (those who find low rates and stay for 1 night at a time) are "dishonestly" earning Diamond status? Or are you talking about people who book a room and do not show up but still expect room credit (credit for phantom stays)?
Maybe dishonestly was too harsh of a word. 25 stays at 100$ per night in a Hyatt Place is a 2500$ revenue contribution to Hyatt while spending 40,000$ per year at Chase is surely a greater revenue contribution for them.

My point was that the number of people who would gain diamond through spend would likely be lower than the people who gain diamond through mattress runs so the ridicule and complaints of dilution aren't entirely warranted.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mreplus
Maybe dishonestly was too harsh of a word. 25 stays at 100$ per night in a Hyatt Place is a 2500$ revenue contribution to Hyatt while spending 40,000$ per year at Chase is surely a greater revenue contribution for them.
Comparing revenue is meaningless. Hyatt keeps all of the $2500. But most of the $40K, while revenue to Chase, is directly passed along to merchants.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by JackE
Comparing revenue is meaningless. Hyatt keeps all of the $2500. But most of the $40K, while revenue to Chase, is directly passed along to merchants.
I assume Hyatt gets some co-marketing revenue from Chase, especially from the annual fee. And Chase probably pays a price per Hyatt point that are generated and deposited into our Hyatt accounts monthly
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
A more meaningful perk that wouldn't have costed them a lot would have been to upgraded the Cat4 free night for spending nothing to an any category free night after $10k spends. then it would be closer to what Chase Fairmont or Citi Hilton offer with spends.
That would certainly persuade me to put more spending on the card (which I'm actually thinking of canceling), but another change I'd prefer is 15,000 annual GP points rather than a single category 4 night. I'd much rather be 15,000 points closer to a category 5 or 6 night than to have to find some category 4 Hyatt to use the annual bonus. For others, getting two nights at a lower category Hyatt might be more appealing. There just aren't enough Hyatts for the annual bonus to be so restrictive.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Thank you for the increased reward. Anything is good.

However, personally speaking I am one of the ones that do not benefit at all for the "stay credits". No value at all to many Diamonds I would guess unless I am missing something in the program.

Double Diamond this year is no problem for me without that perk. Triple would be possible with the right incentive.

What I would like to see is for that Cat 4 room certificate at anniversary to get bumped up to a Cat 5 or 6 depending on spend and that would certainly help. Toss in another free night with 50-75K in spending and I would be really focusing on it.

I do appreciate the additional miles per dollar spent but as others have basically said - offering up a deal that is less or even equal to the best programs out there does not equate into being the best program out there. My self serving opinion is that you need to do something that matters to the member - in this case me.

Better hotels and or free rooms for personal use always matter.

If you are happy with "We have a good program" than you certainly have done that and again, I thank you.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SGC Gold, IHG Plat, Delta Diamond, Cont Gold, US Air Chairmans
Originally Posted by kenbo
The bonus stay/night credit is worthless if you have no plans to go for Diamond. Some incremental spend may get shifted to this card due to the new spending categories but on the whole, the changes just put them head to head against other cards that offer stronger benefits and returns.

Instead of restaurants, airlines and car rentals, I would have liked to have seen restaurants, gas and grocery stores. That would have been enough for me to shift some of my AMEX spend.
It is also pretty worthless if you are making Diamond anyhow. I am sure it does benefit a few that are on the bubble but otherwise...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:56 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Got a snail mailing on these today.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by JoshC
It is also pretty worthless if you are making Diamond anyhow. I am sure it does benefit a few that are on the bubble but otherwise...
Also true. As nice as it is to get some stay credit, the format in which they've set up the perk requires someone to be in a pretty specific scenario.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by peteropny
Got a snail mailing on these today.
Same here. They must have a pretty significant marketing budget for this card.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by sensei
Same here. They must have a pretty significant marketing budget for this card.
Just got mine today. Holycow, I've never received anything like this from a credit card before :-::-::-::-::-:
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
So did Hyatt GP ever clarify if 2012 spend stay credits will be calculated on all 2012 spend or only spend after 10-1-2012? I saw the question asked but maybe I missed the answer. Lets just say business travel has gone from almost every week to maybe one or two more nights in December. I might be one of those bubble people this year.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW, I am happy with changes/additions that have been announced.

I have been Diamond for the last 3 years but was in danger of losing it this year - would probably have only been right around 40-42 nights or so for the year but the spend (if they use all of 2012) should give me the extra boost I need to keep Diamond.

Additionally, I am in points hoard mode right now as I have 2 very young kids at home so I haven't redeemed points for vacation or anything in a while - just trying to build up a good nest egg (keeping year over year devaluation in mind) so that when we do take a trip, we can go anywhere we want without worrying about points. I book all my own airfare directly from airline so that should give me a nominal boost.

Anyways, I suppose my positive outlook is due to the fact that I never expected them to change the benefits period, so I it's all a win for me. I realize that everyone is in a different situation though so I can understand why the benefits that help me don't help a lot of you.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:40 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I received an invite via e-mail this morning to an event Hyatt and Chase are throwing next month at the Andaz on 5th Ave, as a promotion for the new Hyatt Card benefits, that will feature food and cocktail tastings. So cardmembers in the NYC area may want to check their e-mails if you are interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.