Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Enjoyed our stay over the memorial day weekend here. As others have pointed out, great Diamond treatment, both our rooms upgraded to suites. Fantastic location and nice breakfast. Will definitely consider returning the next time in Chicago.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Also tried the hotel for the first time for a 4 night stay in town last week. Had no issues determining the building housed a Hyatt as others have pointed out above. (It actually has a Hyatt logo above the area where the bellman stand.).

As a Diamond I received a Corner Room after inquiring about that category of room at check-in when the agent said I had been upgraded to an Executive Room. Room was nicely furnished and very large in comparison to most hotels I have stayed in while in Chicago. Bathroom was huge but as noted the horrible water saving shower heads leave a lot to be desired. One issue I did have was that the bed only had 4 horrible lumpy foam pillows. (I would assume against Hyatt standards.) It took 2 days to actually get 2 feather/down pillows because the first time I asked I got 2 more horrible lumpy pillows delivered while I was out.

Nice breakfast spread which I sadly only took advantage of on one morning.

I personally thought the elevator situation was a pain in the rear since the hotel was very busy during my stay.

Noise from the hospital was not a huge issue but you could definitely hear the sirens.

Will definitely stay at a the hotel again if the rates are competitive.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:30 am

We've now been here a few times, and I still think it is very much an OK place to stay. Still love the breakfast. We always get vouchers, but the first time we stayed there, you wouldn't get a bill. Now they give you a bill, so you can add a tip. I didn't realize that the vouchers covered the tip. We have two young children (8 and 6), and the bill had four full price buffet breakfasts on it. We didn't have to pay for them, but I felt like the waiter had done that to artificially inflate the bill to inflate his tip (it doesn't seem normal to me to charge full price to a six year old for a buffet).
One of the reasons we choose this hotel is that we have kids and the hotel has a pool. Well, the last time we were there, the pool wasn't extremely clean, and the whirlpool was Disgusting!! When the bubbles were on you wouldn't notice, but then when they would stop, there was all sorts of soap scummy stuff (probably actually dead skin - sorry if anyone is eating while reading this) and hair floating around in the water, like the filter wasn't working properly. I told a staff member who came in, and she didn't seem particularly concerned. I think she said she'd tell maintenance, but in that way that didn't give you a lot of confidence that she actually would. To me it was something that should've been acted on immediately. I also find the pool area to be kind of cold.
We have only been upgraded when I have specifically asked via email beforehand. I said something along the lines of us having the kids with us and would appreciate any extra space that would be available as a complimentary upgrade for a diamond member. I was not told that we were upgraded, so it was just a surprise when we got to the room.

The only thing that puts me off from staying here again is the pool. Other than that I find it to be a very nice place to stay. I am not blown away by consistently great diamond treatment, I feel that the service is always good, and sometimes excellent. I'm used to that two-tiered elevator thing.
The other aspect that negatively impacts this hotel for me, is that it is expensive to park there, without good alternatives nearby. And it is also far from Union Station. So, for us, living in the burbs, it is expensive to drive and inconvenient to take the Metra.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:50 am

Staying here this weekend. Any cheaper parking alternatives available? 65 per night is a bit tough to deal with....
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:49 am

^ since I never use my car when I am in the city I usually park in longterm at Midway and ride the Orange line in.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Staying here this weekend. Any cheaper parking alternatives available? 65 per night is a bit tough to deal with....
Try the Spot Hero app and website.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Does this property have suites at more than one location on the floorplan?

The Suite I had last year was, while spacious, somewhat boxy; in the middle of the floor, facing the hospital(?) across the street. No windows in the living room of the suite. The only window was in the bedroom.

Back here for another stay in two weeks, have applied DSU and have written to the hotel asking if there are any corner suites they can book me into.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:26 pm

Stayed here twice in suites and in all of them the living room had no windows. While they do have them on different floors and in different positions of the two I stayed in while they were in different positions did not have any windows in the living room.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Do the suites have sofabeds in the living room? I have a week stay coming up in Oct.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Stayed here twice in suites and in all of them the living room had no windows. While they do have them on different floors and in different positions of the two I stayed in while they were in different positions did not have any windows in the living room.
The one I had last year was on a higher floor, vaguely in a similar spot as the elevator shafts are, back towards the front-facing side of the property. It just seemed very clinical. Lets see what I end up with this time around.

neuron from memory, there isn't a sofa bed in the living room but the couch is wide enough for one person to spend a night on. Whether the person would want to do that for a week is debatable!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by SQ421
neuron from memory, there isn't a sofa bed in the living room but the couch is wide enough for one person to spend a night on. Whether the person would want to do that for a week is debatable!
Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Does this property have suites at more than one location on the floorplan?

The Suite I had last year was, while spacious, somewhat boxy; in the middle of the floor, facing the hospital(?) across the street. No windows in the living room of the suite. The only window was in the bedroom.

Back here for another stay in two weeks, have applied DSU and have written to the hotel asking if there are any corner suites they can book me into.
On my last visit I stayed in suite 1514. Two windows in the living room and two windows in the bedroom. It was an excellent suite, but a bit noisy.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV
On my last visit I stayed in suite 1514. Two windows in the living room and two windows in the bedroom. It was an excellent suite, but a bit noisy.
Great, I'll make a note to ask for that room on check in if not already in a similarly numbered room.

Wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the said room, would you?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:16 pm

I've just checked in and have been given a Corner King room. This, for a booking where I've applied a Diamond Suite Upgrade.

http://chicagomagnificentmile.hyatt....ooms/view.html

I'll revisit the issue with the daytime front desk staff tomorrow but this is certainly not a suite. Not even advertised on their site as such.

I'm okay with the room, here only for 3 nights so don't really care to move rooms. I might just ask that the Upgrade Cert is put back into my account.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:37 pm

I've just checked in and have been given a Corner King room. This, for a booking where I've applied a Diamond Suite Upgrade.

http://chicagomagnificentmile.hyatt....ooms/view.html

I'll revisit the issue with the daytime front desk staff tomorrow but this is certainly not a suite. Not even advertised on their site as such.

I'm okay with the room, here only for 3 nights so don't really care to move rooms. I might just ask that the Upgrade Cert is put back into my account.
That sucks and agree moving rooms is no joy once you settle in. Hopefully they make amends and then some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.