Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Miesque
I have had quite a few late night check-ins over the year where the check-in clerk was definitely very subpar to the caliber of what you encountered during more regular hours (its actually one of the reasons I hate late check-ins)
In Asia, they seem to be better but not daytime perfect either.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Terrible stay!

As a Hyatt Diamond for a few years, I am a HUGE fan of the Hyatt brand! I have almost always had incredible experiences at Hyatt's across the globe with Hyatt consistently going above and beyond!

Unfortunately, this was the absolute worst Hyatt stay I've ever had! To name a few issues, there is no one to greet you downstairs when you arrive, and they won't help you with your luggage. We had issues with the internet, no working TV, and unfriendly and incompetent staff.

Without going into too much detail, when I had issues with the internet, they said they couldn't help and transferred me to their internet provider, then billed me long distance for the 12 minute call! Incidentally, the internet was never fixed, and I did ask them to remove the long distance charges which they did.

Imagine, a visitor coming to my house who can't access the wifi, and I tell them to deal with it on their own and call Comcast!!

The hard product is good, and the manager Chris was relatively helpful, but we certainly won't be back here.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkP24
As a Hyatt Diamond for a few years, I am a HUGE fan of the Hyatt brand! I have almost always had incredible experiences at Hyatt's across the globe with Hyatt consistently going above and beyond!

Unfortunately, this was the absolute worst Hyatt stay I've ever had! To name a few issues, there is no one to greet you downstairs when you arrive, and they won't help you with your luggage. We had issues with the internet, no working TV, and unfriendly and incompetent staff.

Imagine, a visitor coming to my house who can't access the wifi, and I tell them to deal with it on their own and call Comcast!!

The hard product is good, and the manager Chris was relatively helpful, but we certainly won't be back here.
Those two things alone would be deal breakers for me. What time of day did you arrive re: the luggage? Late night?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Aventine
Those two things alone would be deal breakers for me. What time of day did you arrive re: the luggage? Late night?
I was there in November, arrived about 5 pm and had no problems w/luggage, etc.. We arrived in a rental car, pulled up and were met by the valet. He warned us how expensive parking was at the property (63/night OUCH) and offered us directions to alternative, less expensive parking locations. The bellman took our luggage, gave us bag tags, etc...

We went upstairs & checked in, the front desk clerk called for the bags and they were delivered to our rooms.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Aventine
We arrived at 2 PM, and we left at 1:30 PM, and we received no assistance either time.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I was there in November, arrived about 5 pm and had no problems w/luggage, etc.. We arrived in a rental car, pulled up and were met by the valet. He warned us how expensive parking was at the property (63/night OUCH) and offered us directions to alternative, less expensive parking locations. The bellman took our luggage, gave us bag tags, etc...

We went upstairs & checked in, the front desk clerk called for the bags and they were delivered to our rooms.
I used the Spothero app to find cheaper parking nearby ($50 for 48 hours as opposed to the hotel's $63/ day). Unfortunately we didn't get your valet team but even when we checked out, we were not offered assistance by the front desk with our luggage.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
While the service here may be HP-grade, I would just be happy if they put something, anything, in the first-floor lobby that actually indicates that yes, you are in a Hyatt. I was convinced that I was in the wrong place for like 5 minutes. This might be why nobody is helping people with bags, due to the bizarre lobby setup.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
While the service here may be HP-grade, I would just be happy if they put something, anything, in the first-floor lobby that actually indicates that yes, you are in a Hyatt. I was convinced that I was in the wrong place for like 5 minutes. This might be why nobody is helping people with bags, due to the bizarre lobby setup.
It is very confusing. The Hyatt's I've been to in Asia that are not on the ground floor have multiple staff on the ground floor welcoming you to the property and offering assistance with your luggage.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
It is very confusing. The Hyatt's I've been to in Asia that are not on the ground floor have multiple staff on the ground floor welcoming you to the property and offering assistance with your luggage.
That's odd as there's usually 2 or 3 individuals in that lobby, with at least one manning the bellman's desk so I'm surprised to hear that there was no one around during checkin and checkout.

A sign in the lobby stating that checkin is on the second floor is definitely needed though.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:05 pm

Diamond here. Stayed at this property at the end of March and was given a corner room when checking in. The location is near Magnificent Mile, but i don't find the location that superior compared to the Hyatt Regency in the river south.

The room was nice, spacious, and looked new, but there were two very important key elements missing for my taste. There was barely any view. Outside the windows was just office buildings across the street. I find the view at the Regency by the river is much better.

Second, the water pressure of the shower was TOO small- It was so small that I was shivering in the shower the whole time. Bed and shower are the two most important elements I was looking for at a hotel, but the shower in my room could not even compare to some low priced hotels i stayed at before, not to mention reaching a luxury hotel standard. I could be unlucky, but if not,and if you are looking for a good shower experience, I'd recommend Hyatt Regency or Hyatt Place near by.

One thing i did enjoy was the breakfast at the hotel restaurant. If you are not a diamond, you need to pay around $20 per person. You could choose to order or simply get your own food at the buffet. There were a lot of choices at the buffet, and the quality was great.

Last edited by walkingingotham; Apr 12, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We arrived at 2 PM, and we left at 1:30 PM, and we received no assistance either time.
That's not something a Hyatt of this caliber should be doing to people. Just awful.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:41 pm

Just finished a 5 night stay using a DSU on a very reasonable corp rate. Had a spacious suite 1614 which is actually 2 rooms, each with windows. The bedroom was opposite the hospital but only the first night (Saturday noise was extremely noticeable). Luckily used earplugs ahead of time. Other nights didn't bother. Traveled with the family and kids (18 yo) said sofabed was comfortable. Had some mechanical issues (TV not working) and called front desk who kept insisting it was the remote. Knew otherwise but didn't argue... once staff got to room they knew exactly what was the problem (disengaged wire that probably was dislodged by housekeeping... had been a problem with this room) and was quickly fixed. Afterwards mentioned that the glass door in shower was misaligned and he fixed it at the time. Got lots of local information at the time which was helpful since though since I had an issue with the concierge -- booked theater tickets and after giving my credit card and billing information she proceeded to purchase the tickets in HER name. this is after she gave me the printout saying "just show your credit card that was used when picking up the tickets an hour before".. the receipt didn't have my name at all on it. I felt very uncomfortable by this and made an issue that she call the theater. Also during the process it seemed like I knew more about the show, venue than the concierge though I had never been. This was the first time I engaged a concierge to purchase tickets, I usually do it on my own, and after this experience I will go back to taking care of things on my own. Other than that everyone else at this hotel were top notch. Breakfast was most enjoyable... buffet with nice assortment fresh fruits (berries, melons and citrus) as well as ordering off menu. The kids were lazy so I did take out for them and they really enjoyed the generous portion of cinnamon bun french toast. They also have a dedicated staff for Diamond/Platinum experience hosting a happy hour on Wednesday, unfortunately it was cancelled during our stay. Will definitely return to this Chicago Hyatt. Found the location ideal for the purpose of our stay... DH to get to McCormack (shuttle was short walk to Courtyard) and the rest of us shopping and exploring the city.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:00 am

Just finished a one night stay here. Overall I was very pleased with the treatment I was given. Their guest experience manager reached out to me ahead of time and worked with me on some special requests. One of these requests was an early check in which they very kindly obliged. They also upgraded me to a huge suite, it was on a lower floor but I wasn't facing the hospital so no need for ear plugs. Lastly they let me check out at 6pm as I had a 10pm flight and didn't fancy hanging out in MDW for 7+hours.

Great Diamond treatment here. When I am back in Chicago will definitely look to stay here. the Regency's location is better in my opinion but the Diamond treatment here is OUTSTANDING.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Summary review of 3 different stays here at the Hyatt Mag Mile over the past 6 weeks or so.

Particularly in observation of what some others have posted about the hotel :
- Guest arrival and lobby config can be rather confusing, especially if this is your first time at the hotel. Ground floor is just a large elevator lobby and a starbucks. Go up to 2nd for the check-in lobby.
- Bell desk and valets were all very helpful at check-in and check-out at all times. Each time I have been helped with my bags and they have been promptly delivered to the room after I checked-in.
- Concierge and lobby staff most helpful. With directions to restaurants nearby, where to get electronic chargers/adapters I forgot, etc.
- Noise. The hospital ER is right around the corner and the road running past the hotel is right along the arrival path of emergency vehicles. There is no way you will not hear at least some sirens ... Hotel thoughtfully provides earplugs by the bed in each room. Be advised.
- Water pressure. Did not notice any problem with it, even when I had a top floor (17th) room one time. They are low-flow shower heads so don't expect a gushing hose. Maybe it feels ok with me because I'm from CA with our drought and all low-flow outlets.

My thoughts on pluses and minuses at this Hyatt :
Plus :
- Location. Hard to beat just a block off Michigan. There is much within walking distance. Easy cab ride to many places around too.
- "Smaller" hotel with a nice cozy feel. This is not one of those monster Hyatts like the one at McCormick Place where you can get lost between the lobby and the room.
- Nice friendly staff. The restaurant, lobby, room-service and bell staff all which I interacted with are all really nice and helpful. They genuinely seem like they are happy to be there. Hard to find consistently in downtown city hotels if you ask me.
- Rooms nicely appointed.

Minus :
- ER/Ambulance noise. Already mentioned it above.
- Gym / Pool is very small. In the end I headed outside for a workout when the weather permitted.
- Parking. Very expensive at about $60/day. There are cheaper alternatives nearby.

Happy to answer any questions if I missed anything.

Cheers,
SF
Old May 25, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I stayed here for the first time for a two night stay this weekend utilizing a DSU which resulted in an executive suite on the top floor. The suite was spacious and was already set up with robe and slippers it was very clean and modern and in very good shape. The room had a very large television in the living room section which was perfect for watching the Stanley Cup playoffs each night of my stay. As has been noted, the hotel is right next to a hospital so the ear plugs they provide are definitely necessary, but once they were in I did not have a problem and slept well. The hotel has the two tiered elevator system, one elevator takes you to the lobby from the entrance with a second bank down the hallway past the restaurant providing access to the rooms. I didn’t find it odd since I have seen a bit of this over the years in NY, but I did see if provide some confusion for others. Breakfast was good and I received vouchers at check-in along with a premium WiFi code. Room service was good quality and more or less reasonably priced. There is a lot close to the hotel (various shops and Walgreens) and in fact a Capital Grille in the same building on the corner with an outside entrance which I had a very nice late lunch at (very generous serving of lobster in the lobster bisque and lobster salad).

The one very negative aspect for me was this hotel did not have a business center, only a few Macs in the lobby which required payment to use which is something I hate. There are far too many decent hotels where I can print unfettered and without being nickled and dimed.

It a nice property, the staff was very attentive and I got my 4 PM check-out. Doormen and bell staff were very helpful with luggage and the getting me taxis. The downside is you really don’t have much of a view and which the hotel is nice it doesn’t have any charm some of the other properties do (I was at the Drake the night prior to this two night stay, which I think is why I felt more that way than perhaps if I had just stayed at Hyatt MagMile during my Chicago visit)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.