Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Chicago Magnificent Mile REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I could have sworn I posted here before

but I just stayed at this property - really not all that great except for the location. I understand that the staff is all undergoing training as this used to be a Wyndham until it transferred over but seriously - everything asked was met wtih the answer "no." I would definitely recommend staying elsewhere until they get their act together. The only good folks I've encountered were the guys at the luggage/storage part and that was a bit of a struggle as well.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:58 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oiRRio
So is it avoid at all costs or just not up to the usual Hyatt standards and okay at a low price?
great question.

I'm not above a 'divey' hotel if it suits my needs (just stayed at a Red Roof Inn for ~$45 as every other chain in the town I was in was $110+ a night), I've seen plenty of dives and I'm VERY cost concious.

If staying with Mrs Sweet Willie on a nice weekend, this property is not worth it IMO. We used our annual free night due to the Hyatt CC and I was not pleased in the least w/my redemption.

While riding in the elevator, there were 3 women in the elevator & I asked the question, "is this hotel kind of scummy?" Each one answered "YES!" and went on to say how their associates are staying at X or Y property & it is so much nicer etc etc.

For your 'guy' purposes, it would be ok.

Now that the low bar has been set, your stay probably will be more than acceptable
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Cheers for those. I don't mind basic but clean but "kind of scummy" put me off in case this guy meets a gal. For a few $$ more decided to opt for the nearby Courtyard which has pretty positive reviews on here.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
hotel hasn't been renovated in 10 years.

Spoke with a mgr.

There is NO lounge/RC at this time. Property currently has bids out to renovate but that isn't scheduled to start until Dec 2012.

Diamonds will get free full breakfast in the restaurant using coupons.

The restaurant/lounge on the 2nd floor actually looked pretty inviting with big picture windows looking onto St Claire & the Red Roof Inn

Free internet provided to Plats & Diamonds.

The valet is HORRIBLE, 3 of the most inept workers I've run into. Turns out the valet is contracted out to 3rd party. Mgr I spoke with said that is an ongoing complaint by many guests.
I wonder if Platinums get free breakfast vouchers?

I am using an otherwise expiring Cat 1-4 certificate at this hotel next week. It is the only Cat. 1-4 available in downtown.

I don't need much for the short stay so I don't care about the mediocre reviews. I would like a free breakfast, though.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andy2
I wonder if Platinums get free breakfast vouchers?
this Plat did not receive breakfast vouchers (Diamonds will), so if you do, please advise this thread, thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
this Plat did not receive breakfast vouchers (Diamonds will), so if you do, please advise this thread, thanks.
I did not receive breakfast vouchers, even though I did ask.

On the positive side, I found the hotel to be better than the reviews indicate. Typical urban hotel that was as good as any of the Chicago Hiltons, Embassy Suites, Doubletrees or Westins that I have stayed in. Not as good as as the (somewhat) nearby Homewood Suites, though.

The Hyatt room I received has a sofa area and a marble bathroom. Nothing too fancy, but an above-average room for a big city. Everyone I enountered was friendly.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
So this hotel is essentially a franchise?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...tels-ken-cruse

Sounds like a part of the $25M refurb money should be spent on Gold Passport compliance training.....
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:35 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Sorry, but I'm not sure why there is even a discussion regarding breakfast vouchers for Plats as that is not a benefit of being Plat...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:50 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by dw
Sorry, but I'm not sure why there is even a discussion regarding breakfast vouchers for Plats as that is not a benefit of being Plat...
I am not terribly experienced with the Hyatt program, having recently earned my points from the Chase Hyatt card and transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards. It has been my experience with Hilton Gold and Starwood Gold (the mid-tiers of these programs) that some of the hotels issue breakfast certificates to mid-tier members and some hotels do not (although the Hilton breakfast certs are almost always for continental breakfasts). I received breakfast certificates the short time I was a Diamond with Hyatt during the Diamond trial.

Asking a broad question, has anyone received a breakfast certificate as a Hyatt Platinum from any Hyatt hotel, or is this just a Diamond benefit?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
I recall receiving breakfast vouchers from a few properties as a Plat years ago.

So someone asks the question, if the info doesn't suit your needs, move on.@:-)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:20 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Andy2
I am not terribly experienced with the Hyatt program, having recently earned my points from the Chase Hyatt card and transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards. It has been my experience with Hilton Gold and Starwood Gold (the mid-tiers of these programs) that some of the hotels issue breakfast certificates to mid-tier members and some hotels do not (although the Hilton breakfast certs are almost always for continental breakfasts). I received breakfast certificates the short time I was a Diamond with Hyatt during the Diamond trial.

Asking a broad question, has anyone received a breakfast certificate as a Hyatt Platinum from any Hyatt hotel, or is this just a Diamond benefit?
From T&Cs - Hyatt Plats do not get breakfast, Hyatt Diamonds do, Hilton Golds do, SPG Golds do not, SPG Plats can choose continental breakfast in place of welcome amenity points.

Of course, some properties may go above and beyond the T&Cs. For example, SPG hotels in BKK, gave Plats the full buffet breakfast even before the option started this year.

That said, let's get back on topic for the thread - reviews of stays and questions on the property.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Just checked in with my family for a quick one night stay...a little business for me in the AM, then headed to meet the family at the museum of science and industry in the morning. After reading the reviews here I was hardly looking forward to my stay...something must be going on in Chicago, b/c most major chains were sold out and those available were 300+...so I chose this Hyatt due to the rate and location.
PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!
-Valet was fast and efficient and offered to help with bags, but we didn't need help.
-Lobby is clean and sleek if a little dated, but nothing awful at all...take the lobby up to the 2nd floor and go to check in.
-Check in was VERY fast and efficient and was recognized as a Diamond immediately. Got two coupons for breakfast and presented with the standard amenity card...took the points. She gave me what I thought was a standard note from the GM and off to room 1704 we went.
-Common areas that we observed were very clean and well lit.
-Got to the room and noticed we only had 3 large towels...there are 4 of us in the room, so I called for more towels and within a minute or two opened the door to head to dinner...a staff member was at the door with the towels..NICE! Dropped him a few bucks and he was courteous and appreciative.
-Room is very big and clean...a little dated, and the furniture is a little worn, but really nothing to complain about. Tube TV in the armoir...the standard older hotel set up. The two beds are fulls, not queens, but are very comfy. No robe, but I'm guessing that changes with the re-do.
-Took a look at the note from the GM...very well written, and almost over the top apologetic about the hotel not being up to Hyatt standards...as a Diamond, I'm receiving 1,000GP points as a token for this stay, and any other that I make prior to the remodel...SWEET!
-After dinner, I stopped in the bar to pick up some wine for the wife and I to enjoy with our sprinkles cupcakes with the kids. They enjoyed the two free bottles of water in the room with theirs. Bar/Restaurant had a decent crowd and a nice city view.
-On my way back up to my room, an employee addressed me as Mr. DeRousse and handed me a survey to fill out...it's a brief one page survey and for that I will get 1,000 points...and if I had a team member I could refer, I would get an additional 250 when they booked a room! They are clearly trying to appeal to the consulting set...smart move, IMHO.

The remodel will get under way shortly...with the attitude of management and this hotels location...this is gonna be one heck of a hotel! Love having another great option in Chicago!
Cheers to the staff and management for getting off to a great start!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Very impressive that they are making changes. Extremely nice they gave you points for staying there. Perhaps they read our comments here?

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Just checked in with my family for a quick one night stay...a little business for me in the AM, then headed to meet the family at the museum of science and industry in the morning. After reading the reviews here I was hardly looking forward to my stay...something must be going on in Chicago, b/c most major chains were sold out and those available were 300+...so I chose this Hyatt due to the rate and location.
PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!
-Valet was fast and efficient and offered to help with bags, but we didn't need help.
-Lobby is clean and sleek if a little dated, but nothing awful at all...take the lobby up to the 2nd floor and go to check in.
-Check in was VERY fast and efficient and was recognized as a Diamond immediately. Got two coupons for breakfast and presented with the standard amenity card...took the points. She gave me what I thought was a standard note from the GM and off to room 1704 we went.
-Common areas that we observed were very clean and well lit.
-Got to the room and noticed we only had 3 large towels...there are 4 of us in the room, so I called for more towels and within a minute or two opened the door to head to dinner...a staff member was at the door with the towels..NICE! Dropped him a few bucks and he was courteous and appreciative.
-Room is very big and clean...a little dated, and the furniture is a little worn, but really nothing to complain about. Tube TV in the armoir...the standard older hotel set up. The two beds are fulls, not queens, but are very comfy. No robe, but I'm guessing that changes with the re-do.
-Took a look at the note from the GM...very well written, and almost over the top apologetic about the hotel not being up to Hyatt standards...as a Diamond, I'm receiving 1,000GP points as a token for this stay, and any other that I make prior to the remodel...SWEET!
-After dinner, I stopped in the bar to pick up some wine for the wife and I to enjoy with our sprinkles cupcakes with the kids. They enjoyed the two free bottles of water in the room with theirs. Bar/Restaurant had a decent crowd and a nice city view.
-On my way back up to my room, an employee addressed me as Mr. DeRousse and handed me a survey to fill out...it's a brief one page survey and for that I will get 1,000 points...and if I had a team member I could refer, I would get an additional 250 when they booked a room! They are clearly trying to appeal to the consulting set...smart move, IMHO.

The remodel will get under way shortly...with the attitude of management and this hotels location...this is gonna be one heck of a hotel! Love having another great option in Chicago!
Cheers to the staff and management for getting off to a great start!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Stayed at this property last week for one night and I was very well treated as a Diamond member.
Was assigned a comfortable corner room that did not look shabby at all, although just dated.
As I checked in I was handed a letter from management thanking me for staying with this new Hyatt family member and offering me an extra 1000 points since remodeling was overdue and had not started yet.
Furthermore during the evening I was given a survey to fill out, regarding my travel pattern in the Chicago area, and was promised another 1000 points to entice me to respond.
All in all a 3000 points bonus (including the Diamond amenity) for this stay.

However while the stay has posted to my account with the Diamond amenity included, I am still waiting for the other 2000 points promised to appear.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:38 pm

I stayed one night last week and got upgraded to a suite which is always welcomed.
Nothing fancy but appreciated the bigger space.
I was promised 1000 points like others but still has not posted yet.
Will wait to see if it posts as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.