Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
I found the GH SF to be one of the most frustrating properties in the entire system. Their participation in GP/WoH is grudging at best and they are constantly looking for ways of reducing the costs of providing published benefits.

Needless to say it is Hyatt corporate owned
Nothing Grand about it!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I found the GH SF to be one of the most frustrating properties in the entire system. Their participation in GP/WoH is grudging at best and they are constantly looking for ways of reducing the costs of providing published benefits.

It's complicated. I recently had a two-night stay. They did play games in not letting me use a TSU. But on checking in, they upgraded me to a very nice suite.
So they were holding out for more revenue, but when a suite went unsold they booked me into it.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:46 pm

Just checked in at GH SFO. Was given a City View room, App showed still a King Bay View Room. I went again to the front desk and inquired about it. The associate checked with a manager, manager came back and told me no bay rooms available. They had one but a guest has demolished it. Within two minutes availability to book a Bay View room was gone in the app. I feel very tricked and considering checking out again and going to the Hyatt Regency instead.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by afa340
I feel very tricked and considering checking out again and going to the Hyatt Regency instead.
HR is just as bad. These two properties are among the worst in the system IME for resisting upgrades.

I've stayed at Le Meridien SF three or four times since switching to Marriott/SPG, and they've given me a choice of suites every single time.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by afa340
Just checked in at GH SFO. Was given a City View room, App showed still a King Bay View Room. I went again to the front desk and inquired about it. The associate checked with a manager, manager came back and told me no bay rooms available. They had one but a guest has demolished it. Within two minutes availability to book a Bay View room was gone in the app. I feel very tricked and considering checking out again and going to the Hyatt Regency instead.
We are also here today and had to wait until 4:15 to get our room which had been occupied by a Lifetime Globalist who needed a late checkout. There aren't that many bay view rooms here. Some are reserved by people reserving ahead of time for that category room. Actually, they have bay view rooms which simply face the east bay, and with recent development in the city, just pretty much have a view of tall buildings. We have that view tonight and have a slim view of the bay to the southeast. Direct north bay view rooms are limited to about 4 per floor and are only those above about floor 20.

We've always had terrific service at this hotel- cheerful and efficient doormen, great front desk staff, very updated rooms, and a Club (while way too small) has great offerings in the morning and evening- if you get there early and can get a seat. Tonight they offered both beef brisket and St. Louis style ribs, a soup, plus wonderful appetizers. More than enough for a meal.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
tried to use my SNA but executive suite was not available. when inquired about upgrade at check-in, i was offered the VIP suite on F30 for an additional $50. The VIP suite has sweeping view of the bay very similar to the view from the club lounge. was very happy with my decision, definitely worth it.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

My experience with this hotel is very different. I love this property. I have always had excellent service. The breakfast is superb—in the restaurant. I always love staying in this hotel.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

My experience with this hotel is very different. I love this property. I have always had excellent service. The breakfast is superb—in the restaurant. I always love staying in this hotel.
Me too. Always great service. Club has excellent morning and evening offerings. My only complaint is that the Club is frequently overwhelmed and needs to be larger.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I have always had excellent service.
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Always great service.
I'm not criticizing the service (except for one particular Assistant Manager, who others have had trouble with as well) - agree staff is quite pleasant. The hotel's room assignment and upgrade policies do not conform to WoH rules, and front desk personnel do not have authority to provide upgrades to bay view rooms or suites. It's been reported many times that very frequent guests are treated better. For the first timer looking for advice on this property versus other SF options that is something to keep in mind.

And the too small lounge is inexcusable. They downsized it knowing it would not handle normal capacity.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Me too. Always great service. Club has excellent morning and evening offerings. My only complaint is that the Club is frequently overwhelmed and needs to be larger.
also the club needs toilets on the same floor!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by vudoosj
also the club needs toilets on the same floor!
Absolutely!! One has to go to the 35th floor to use the toilets in the gym, return to your room or go to the lobby and down the escalator to find a toilet.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:23 am

I may be looking at staying in SF for 2 nights in mid-May. Haven't visited in years.

Would you guys recommend spending an extra 7k for the club floor at the GH? I don't have Hyatt status, but I do have a lot of Chase UR points (that personally I am only stashing and earmarking for Hyatt, because all my actual travel goes on my AmEx and the MR system of partners).

I did consider the HR as well, but both are the same categories (odd?). I also have status (gold) with Marriott but seems like most Marriott options in SF is ridiculously expensive if points is my currency.

What would you guys recommend me doing?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by dkavaichan
I may be looking at staying in SF for 2 nights in mid-May. Haven't visited in years.

Would you guys recommend spending an extra 7k for the club floor at the GH? I don't have Hyatt status, but I do have a lot of Chase UR points (that personally I am only stashing and earmarking for Hyatt, because all my actual travel goes on my AmEx and the MR system of partners).

I did consider the HR as well, but both are the same categories (odd?). I also have status (gold) with Marriott but seems like most Marriott options in SF is ridiculously expensive if points is my currency.

What would you guys recommend me doing?
The Club floor rooms are a bit nicer than others plus they are on the high floors so you will have a nice view, especially if you get a room facing north. So far as the Club is concerned, it has positives and negatives. The positives are that they have very good breakfast and evening food and the Club has a terrific view facing north. The negative is that it's too small for the number of people who qualify to use it or who sneak in with someone who is qualified to use it. Many times there are no places to sit. But this doesn't happen all the time, but enough that it is a problem the hotel doesn't seem to want to address either by enlarging the Club or checking everyone who comes in against a list.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:59 am

Club rooms are no different from regular rooms at this property, they just come with club access.

I would not pay 7k for access to the seriously overcrowded club at this property. But I dislike this property generally, so my view may be a bit biased.

Originally Posted by dkavaichan
I also have status (gold) with Marriott but seems like most Marriott options in SF is ridiculously expensive if points is my currency.
On a relative basis, the SF Hyatts and Marriotts cost roughly the same. 1 Hyatt point is roughly equivalent to 2 Marriott points for both earn and burn.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 10:04 am

Club rooms are no different from regular rooms at this property, they just come with club access..
I thought the Club floor rooms had hardwood floors and the electronic shades that the rooms on the lower floors don't have. ?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.