Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Francisco REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just had this experience. The Executive Suite City View costs $10/night more than the Executive Suite, but they won't let you use a DSU on it. The "City View" label is just something they're using to keep rooms out of award inventory and suites out of DSU inventory.
Yes, I found this also. Tried to use a DSU and no luck on several different stays. However, this past weekend I was denied again but they had very low rates and I just paid for an Executive Suite (and no distinction was made online- it just said "Executive Suite"). I'm not even sure they have any executive suites on floors 15 or lower. This nonsense needs to stop. Complain loud and clear to Jeff.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Yes, I found this also. Tried to use a DSU and no luck on several different stays. However, this past weekend I was denied again but they had very low rates and I just paid for an Executive Suite (and no distinction was made online- it just said "Executive Suite"). I'm not even sure they have any executive suites on floors 15 or lower. This nonsense needs to stop. Complain loud and clear to Jeff.
Yes, that's the ironic thing. The Executive Suite City View was only about $70 higher than the cheapest available room. But god forbid they bend their silly anti-Diamond rules and let me use an expiring DSU.

On the plus side, the front desk agent who checked me in was super cool. Turns out we both grew up on the peninsula and even had the same pediatrician.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
They are just preparing for WoH.

I expect:
Sorry, our standard suites are sold out. Our City View Executive Suite is available for an additional $100/night.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by pWei
They are just preparing for WoH.

I expect:
Sorry, our standard suites are sold out. Our City View Executive Suite is available for an additional $100/night.
It appears there is no such thing as an standard executive suite. I have checked numerous dates way in the future including the last dates on the hyatt.com calendar (March 2018) and it shows only Executive Suite City View. So when there is no such category of room, it means the property has intentionally created one that doesn't exist and uses that fake category for any attempted uses of DSU's.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
It appears there is no such thing as an standard executive suite. I have checked numerous dates way in the future including the last dates on the hyatt.com calendar (March 2018) and it shows only Executive Suite City View. So when there is no such category of room, it means the property has intentionally created one that doesn't exist and uses that fake category for any attempted uses of DSU's.

That was my suspicion, but I did manage to find a date in January 2018 with Executive Suite.

Agree with the prior post that they are using this as a ploy. In my case, it was an extra $80.

This is under WOH. But the terms are it includes "participating" properties. In other words, there is no DSU guarantee. However, I am guessing that if you can find a Executive Suite NON City View, they will allow DSU. I had this happen years ago.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Planning a 2 night stay at this hotel in a couple of weeks. Is it possible to to pay the standard rate and upgrade only 1 of the 2 nights to club? If so can this be done at check in?

Thanks!

Edit: can someone please move this to the SF Grand Hyatt thread? I posted in the wrong one. Thanks.

Last edited by festriaqua; May 20, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Planning a 2 night stay at this hotel in a couple of weeks. Is it possible to to pay the standard rate and upgrade only 1 of the 2 nights to club? If so can this be done at check in?
You could do two separate reservations, one for a club room, one not. As for upgrading one night only at check-in, that's a very nonstandard request and I suspect totally YMMV.

FWIW, I wouldn't spend more than $5 or $10 for club access at this property. The club is seriously undersized and overcrowded.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Looking at a few dates in December. Standard rooms, as low as ~$209, but no awards accepted and even no points accepted on at least one night, despite plenty of paid availability.

Q: Is this a WoH problem or a property problem? A: Both.

"Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates. Explore our other rates or modify your search."
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by JackE

Q: Is this a WoH problem or a property problem? A: Both.
It seems to be a 'big city' problem more than anything -- any big city or major tourist destination seems to have nothing (or near nothing) in terms of points+cash stays and very limited availability in terms of points-only stays. No matter the cash rate, no matter the dates.

In mid-tier cities, hyatts seem to have points+cash or points only pretty much all the time, no matter the cash rates, no matter the dates.

Definitely frustrating if you want to save and use points for 'destination'-location trips.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
January 2018 stay here for 4 nights on a combination of free night certificates and World of Hyatt points. To their credit, the hotel (via my Concierge) agreed to apply a TSU for the entire stay. Ended up with whatever the entry level suite is, on a medium floor with a city view.

Overall impression: the property, while well-located and generally satisfactory, needs renovations throughout and suffers from inconsistent service.

Pros:
- Although Union Square isn't my preferred part of the city, the location is certainly convenient location for most visitors.
- Service was generally friendly, although not always excellent (see below).
- The Grand Club had pretty good offerings - multiple hot food options, inexpensive honor bar selections, and lots of coffee/water/juice/soda selections.

Cons:
- Renovations are needed everywhere - elevators, furniture, windows, etc.
- The design of the bathroom was also curious - an enormous sink leaves little counter space, and the shower door opens out, requiring you to get wet in order to turn the shower on.
- The restaurant and bar are configured strangely, on opposite sides of the 2nd floor with the elevator bank between them. This means both spaces frequently end up being too small for the crowds they serve.
- Service at the bar was mixed. I arrived around 11pm after a late flight and wanted a drink and a bite to eat. Despite closing at 1am, the waiter decided on his own that "last call" was 90 minutes before closing. A manager overruled him but offered no gesture of compensation.
- Speaking of overcrowding, the Grand Club is far too small for the demand at peak times. On multiple occasions there were zero seats available, and on one breakfast occasion there was literally a line out the door. Staff appeared unable or unwilling to adequately police the admittance of guests in excess of stated policies, as there were clearly some very large groups. Also, the hours of Club service are not posted outside of the Club itself, which was frustrating.
- On the occasion of the line-out-the-door breakfast, the front desk agreed to comp me breakfast in the hotel restaurant instead. Unfortunately it took 3 tries to get the charge removed from my folio.
- Doormen were frequently absent and/or inattentive in helping guests in and out of the property.
- Union Square has really gone downhill. There is trash everywhere, and the homeless and "busker" situation is borderline out of control.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by dpb132
January 2018 stay here for 4 nights on a combination of free night certificates and World of Hyatt points. To their credit, the hotel (via my Concierge) agreed to apply a TSU for the entire stay. Ended up with whatever the entry level suite is, on a medium floor with a city view.

Overall impression: the property, while well-located and generally satisfactory, needs renovations throughout and suffers from inconsistent service.

Pros:
- Although Union Square isn't my preferred part of the city, the location is certainly convenient location for most visitors.
- Service was generally friendly, although not always excellent (see below).
- The Grand Club had pretty good offerings - multiple hot food options, inexpensive honor bar selections, and lots of coffee/water/juice/soda selections.

Cons:
- Renovations are needed everywhere - elevators, furniture, windows, etc.
- The design of the bathroom was also curious - an enormous sink leaves little counter space, and the shower door opens out, requiring you to get wet in order to turn the shower on.
- The restaurant and bar are configured strangely, on opposite sides of the 2nd floor with the elevator bank between them. This means both spaces frequently end up being too small for the crowds they serve.
- Service at the bar was mixed. I arrived around 11pm after a late flight and wanted a drink and a bite to eat. Despite closing at 1am, the waiter decided on his own that "last call" was 90 minutes before closing. A manager overruled him but offered no gesture of compensation.
- Speaking of overcrowding, the Grand Club is far too small for the demand at peak times. On multiple occasions there were zero seats available, and on one breakfast occasion there was literally a line out the door. Staff appeared unable or unwilling to adequately police the admittance of guests in excess of stated policies, as there were clearly some very large groups. Also, the hours of Club service are not posted outside of the Club itself, which was frustrating.
- On the occasion of the line-out-the-door breakfast, the front desk agreed to comp me breakfast in the hotel restaurant instead. Unfortunately it took 3 tries to get the charge removed from my folio.
- Doormen were frequently absent and/or inattentive in helping guests in and out of the property.
- Union Square has really gone downhill. There is trash everywhere, and the homeless and "busker" situation is borderline out of control.
I stay at this property several times a year and agree that there is a serious problem with the Club. I too constantly see groups in there which definitely suggests not all of them qualify for admittance. It's either way too small for the number of guests who typically are entitled to be there or 50% of the people there shouldn't be there. Especially at breakfast, be prepared to eat standing up or take it to your room. They could help the situation by getting rid of the sofas and putting in more tables and by checking the names of everyone coming in against room numbers. The hotel was remodeled 7 years ago and I see nothing wrong with the furniture in the rooms. I've never seen a lack of doormen and they've always rushed to open the door for me or assist with getting a taxi.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
I stay at this property several times a year and agree that there is a serious problem with the Club. I too constantly see groups in there which definitely suggests not all of them qualify for admittance. It's either way too small for the number of guests who typically are entitled to be there or 50% of the people there shouldn't be there. Especially at breakfast, be prepared to eat standing up or take it to your room. They could help the situation by getting rid of the sofas and putting in more tables and by checking the names of everyone coming in against room numbers. The hotel was remodeled 7 years ago and I see nothing wrong with the furniture in the rooms. I've never seen a lack of doormen and they've always rushed to open the door for me or assist with getting a taxi.
So I just booked 1 night in April with a club upgrade for 3,000 points. Because of the above re the Club, would you say that is a waste of points at this facility and I should just stay standard then?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Delta PM
Originally Posted by elg26
So I just booked 1 night in April with a club upgrade for 3,000 points. Because of the above re the Club, would you say that is a waste of points at this facility and I should just stay standard then?
I stay there several times a year and actually think it is one of the better Hyatt clubs in terms of food offerings (in addition to the fantastic view). 3,000 points is definitely worth it, although the crowds can be pretty crazy as previously mentioned, but all depends on the occupancy rate of the hotel as well).

If you arrive during the beginning stages of breakfast, appetizers, desserts, the crowds seem to be down quite a bit as well.

As far as the hotel itself, I've had nothing but positive experiences there. Agree that the TSU awards they offer are pretty ridiculous (only Executive Suite, no ES City View unless this has changed recently), but the rooms, location, and views are quite nice. I may be a bit biased as the last couple of times I was upgraded to a Deluxe Suite with Bay View and the VIP Suite (with a great city view), but no complaints from me about the hotel, lounge, or location.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The hotel was remodeled 7 years ago and I see nothing wrong with the furniture in the rooms. I've never seen a lack of doormen and they've always rushed to open the door for me or assist with getting a taxi.
It's possible I was just unlucky in receiving a beat-up suite (although I'd wager the elevators were not renovated in the past 7 years). Mostly I was turned off by the service mishits on the 1st and 2nd floors, and of course the Club overcrowding situation. I prefer the Regency, all else being equal.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by dpb132
It's possible I was just unlucky in receiving a beat-up suite (although I'd wager the elevators were not renovated in the past 7 years). Mostly I was turned off by the service mishits on the 1st and 2nd floors, and of course the Club overcrowding situation.
I found the GH SF to be one of the most frustrating properties in the entire system. Their participation in GP/WoH is grudging at best and they are constantly looking for ways of reducing the costs of providing published benefits.

Needless to say it is Hyatt corporate owned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.