Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Crossing the river is annoying, especially after the subways shut down for the night, so your location is even more of a significant factor than in many other cities. Basically, if downtown is important to you, the Andaz might be the better pick, but the PH is definitely a nicer hotel.
goodgirl and Sydneyberlin like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 1:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
GH Shanghai going down from Cat 4 to Cat 3 as of 26th of March 24’.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:25 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by llb09
GH Shanghai going down from Cat 4 to Cat 3 as of 26th of March 24’.
Well-deserved but sad. This could be such a nice hotel, but is so poorly managed. I would never stay here no matter what category until service / attitude improves.
FriendlySkies and germatory like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
I am still so grateful having read this thread, sounds like staying here could have been such a nightmare.

Have now changed to the Andaz instead, also realising now that location will be so much more convenient. Thanks a lot for all reviews, you’ve saved us from a grave mistake!
Old Mar 7, 2024, 3:46 am

Hello,

I am about to book a suite at the GH Shanghai with Globalist Benefits, as I need late-checkout at 4 pm, is that guaranteed - even with a suite ?

Terms say it is, except for "some locations", how can I assure it's not the GH Shanghai?

thanks
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by kanexxz
Hello,

I am about to book a suite at the GH Shanghai with Globalist Benefits, as I need late-checkout at 4 pm, is that guaranteed - even with a suite ?

Terms say it is, except for "some locations", how can I assure it's not the GH Shanghai?

thanks
I think you can safely count on the 4pm late checkout being honoured. When I stayed at this hotel before, and booking a base room (then being upgraded into a suite with either Globalist upgrade or using SUA), 4pm late checkout has always been given.
Sydneyberlin likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by kanexxz
Hello,

thanks
Yes always granted with no pushback. You should specify to the hotel beforehand that you want a Bund View. Some Deluxe King rooms have better view than suites and similar size.
kanexxz likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, CX Silver, OW Ruby, Travala Smart Diamond
Due to bad reviews in this thread, decided not to stay at the GH Shanghai, but visited Cloud 9 on the 87th floor in order to get a feeling for the location and just to have a look.

It takes three different elevator rides to reach the bar on the 87th floor of the Grand Hyatt if coming from the street, but it was possible to just go up without staying at the property / having a keycard. Saw a nice sunset while having some cocktails and then took Line 2 back to The Bund for nighttime view of the skyline.

I really liked the location of the Grand Hyatt! The elevated walkway between the hotel and IFC mall is beautiful. It's only partially covered in case it rains but it's a nice walk. It is convenient to be close to the mall. Also Lujiazui Metro station is easily accessible from the mall. The Bund (Nanjing Rd East station) is only one stop away. I did not find it inconvenient at all to cross the river by using the Line 2 for just one stop.

There is the C!ty'super supermarket from Hong Kong inside IFC mall that sells a lot of premium / imported foods, sparkling water etc.
FriendlySkies and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goodgirl
Due to bad reviews in this thread, decided not to stay at the GH Shanghai, but visited Cloud 9 on the 87th floor in order to get a feeling for the location and just to have a look.

It takes three different elevator rides to reach the bar on the 87th floor of the Grand Hyatt if coming from the street, but it was possible to just go up without staying at the property / having a keycard. Saw a nice sunset while having some cocktails and then took Line 2 back to The Bund for nighttime view of the skyline.

I really liked the location of the Grand Hyatt! The elevated walkway between the hotel and IFC mall is beautiful. It's only partially covered in case it rains but it's a nice walk. It is convenient to be close to the mall. Also Lujiazui Metro station is easily accessible from the mall. The Bund (Nanjing Rd East station) is only one stop away. I did not find it inconvenient at all to cross the river by using the Line 2 for just one stop.

There is the C!ty'super supermarket from Hong Kong inside IFC mall that sells a lot of premium / imported foods, sparkling water etc.
If you're still in the area, you might want to try to drop by Flair in RC for a comparison; it's one of the few venues east of the river that motivates me to go over there (others include the aquarium and Texas Roadhouse).
goodgirl likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:58 pm

Andaz or GH

Always thought the GH Shanghai appeared to be a great property (planning for some family members). But after reading some of the recent posts up thread and the not so great recent reviews on TA, I kinda want to rebook the family at the Andaz (for the same 12k) or even at the new Caption (for only 5k).

is the lounge not up to par to pre Covid standards but generally acceptable or is it considered a complete skip? The stay is just a 2 night stay to get over jet lag coming from the USA before heading to Tibet. Thought a lounge would be nice for them. But if breakfast is only in lounge and happy hour is cheese and crackers only, maybe need to reconsider. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by myperks
Always thought the GH Shanghai appeared to be a great property (planning for some family members). But after reading some of the recent posts up thread and the not so great recent reviews on TA, I kinda want to rebook the family at the Andaz (for the same 12k) or even at the new Caption (for only 5k).

is the lounge not up to par to pre Covid standards but generally acceptable or is it considered a complete skip? The stay is just a 2 night stay to get over jet lag coming from the USA before heading to Tibet. Thought a lounge would be nice for them. But if breakfast is only in lounge and happy hour is cheese and crackers only, maybe need to reconsider. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Unrelated (I personally like Andaz location over GH but haven't stayed at either in long time) bit make sure you take high altitude sickness medicine in advance for Tibet.

Even with that, I always get massively sick there. I even caught a fever last trip and had to be hospitalized.

But Tibet is magical. You'll love it
​​​​​
Old Apr 27, 2024, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Unrelated (I personally like Andaz location over GH but haven't stayed at either in long time) bit make sure you take high altitude sickness medicine in advance for Tibet.

Even with that, I always get massively sick there. I even caught a fever last trip and had to be hospitalized.

But Tibet is magical. You'll love it
​​​​​
thanks. I’m not actually going but will make sure they don’t over do themselves on the first day or two there.

I do agree Andaz is probably a better location than GH. Maybe I go cheap and put them up at the Caption .
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by myperks
The lounge is really not great by Hyatt standards, especially as lounge in Asia tend to be super great. The offer is the same each and every night (cheese, crackers, bread, smoked salmon, mini burgers and hot dogs with inedible fries, noodles, sometimes pasta, some fruits for desserts). Staff is unhelpful and doesn’t speak a single word of English + won’t make any efforts unlike other places in China.

Now the view is very impressive so it can be worth to give it a try depending on what they value most, but you would be better off booking Caption or Andaz at a lower cost with a nicer location and having dinner in a fancy restaurant with a great view on the Bund (Peninsula, W Hotel, etc).
myperks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.