Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picking a Hyatt in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Picking a Hyatt in San Francisco

Stayed at hotel kabuki last time looking to stay near Russian hill or at least near public transportation. Hotels reviews don't sound so good for Hyatt's seem like they need to be redone and with covid clubs are closed. Also have Marriott points we can use if there is one that worth while.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
SAN FRANCISCO: Hyatt recommendation (GH, HR, Fisherman's Wharf)

Also, you'll need to give a lot more details if you want a good answer.
- Are you paying with points or cash? Do you have dates you're looking at?
- What's your budget?
- What's important? Room size, hotel location, breakfast, club, amenities, parking, room types, suite upgrade availability, etc.
- Who's traveling and why? Huge difference between a solo business traveler vs a family sightseeing trip.

Also, in they Hyatt forum there isn't likely to be as much experience with the Marriott hotels.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by shaker58
Stayed at hotel kabuki last time looking to stay near Russian hill or at least near public transportation.
Hyatt or Marriott on Russian Hill? Doesn't exist. But Hyatt Centric is at the wharf, which is below Russian Hill. Marriott has a couple of properties at the wharf.

Pretty much the entire city is served by public transportation. If you want to be close to BART or the Muni underground, HR Embarcadero would be best.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:49 am

If you want hyatt, agree the centric is a good option. You just have to walk up the hill maybe 10-ish blocks to the northern end of polk st. Or i suppose the 19 bus, but I don't think it runs that frequently. Also probably 10-ish blocks to marina green and chestnut st. A bit harder to get to other parts of the city from here though. I believe the Hotel Del Sol left JdV. That would have been a good option for Russian Hill too.

The alternative if you are maximizing being close to Russian Hill is using marriott points for the ritz. Walk a couple blocks north and catch the 1-california to avoid the hill. The 1 will drop you at the southern end of the main drag on upper polk st. Or you could walk. Maybe half a dozen blocks. The 1 will also take you the other direction down the hill to the financial district. or you can walk down the hill to union square shopping. Ritz is not my cup of tea and will be a lot of points. But a good solution for being close to Russian Hill.

Neither location is super convenient for getting to points south like the Mission District.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:09 am

Grand Hyatt at SFO is the best Hyatt in the area. Easy access to BART.
ebayj, carraher and beachmiles like this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
Grand Hyatt at SFO is the best Hyatt in the area. Easy access to BART.
From a pure hotel perspective this is true. But the airport is nowhere close to Russian Hill, even with access to BART
Old Sep 9, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
I booked Hyatt Regency for a week a Christmas time a few weeks ago. I used a suite award for a balcony suite. Hyatt Grand has a better location (closer to Union Square), but the Hyatt Regency is right on the MUNI F.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bwallet
IHyatt Grand has a better location (closer to Union Square)
That's highly debatable. I don't much like either property, but the HR location is in many ways superior, being on the Embarcadero, right across from Ferry Plaza, and basically on top of Embarcadero station.
beachfan and TravelingChef like this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's highly debatable. I don't much like either property, but the HR location is in many ways superior, being on the Embarcadero, right across from Ferry Plaza, and basically on top of Embarcadero station.
agree with this.
TravelingChef likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:08 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by boolean64
agree with this.
Me too. I don't get the appeal of Union Square unless you want to do a bunch of shopping.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
I lived in SF for three years. The appeal of the Union Square is the ability to quickly get to Stockton (the real Chinatown), interesting restaurants in the Tenderloin, and direct access to a lot more MUNI light rail options.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:19 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by david22
Me too. I don't get the appeal of Union Square unless you want to do a bunch of shopping.
Exactly right. SF is pretty much a Hyatt wasteland, as though their hotels are nice, they really aren't great nor special, and unless you like the tourista stay, not well located. The HR Embarcadera has some really tiny rooms (I took the 5000 points for the queen size when I reserved a king,) but is a nicer location for transportation and the Ferry Bldg. When I stay in SF, I prefer the IC SF, as it's close to transportation, and has a great club lounge-no need to do the "honor" bar at the GH Grand Club. If you want to be near Russian Hill or the Gulch, probably look into the IC Mark Hopkins, though I really don't like their rooms and the walking is difficult from there. Remember that the Cable Car is $8 per ride without any transfer rights. $14 for a day pass I recall, but that might be out-of-date. Skip the Park Central on Market, as it's never been any good and the latest reviews show that the renovation is going slowly.
ebayj likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by bwallet
direct access to a lot more MUNI light rail options.
I have no idea what this means. The GH is considerably farther from any muni underground station than HR, as well as the F line, and the "light rail" options are currently exactly the same (unless you count the Powell Street cable car line, which I personally would not). The Central Subway is not scheduled to open until next year (and good luck with that timing, public works projects in SF are notorious for never finishing on time or anywhere near budget). Most anyone who knows the city and was picking a hotel based on public transit options would pick HR. It's also easier to access by car, for that matter, since you don't have to deal with the union square traffic mess, which is exacerbated by the Central Subway construction.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
If you want to be near Russian Hill or the Gulch, probably look into the IC Mark Hopkins, though I really don't like their rooms and the walking is difficult from there. Remember that the Cable Car is $8 per ride without any transfer rights. $14 for a day pass I recall, but that might be out-of-date. Skip the Park Central on Market, as it's never been any good and the latest reviews show that the renovation is going slowly.
OT but the Mark Hopkins is two blocks from the Ritz, which i wanted to comment on as OP said he had marriott points. No need for the cable car. the bus runs two blocks away on sacramento and clay.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jameswes
SAN FRANCISCO: Hyatt recommendation (GH, HR, Fisherman's Wharf)

Also, you'll need to give a lot more details if you want a good answer.
- Are you paying with points or cash? Do you have dates you're looking at?
- What's your budget?
- What's important? Room size, hotel location, breakfast, club, amenities, parking, room types, suite upgrade availability, etc.
- Who's traveling and why? Huge difference between a solo business traveler vs a family sightseeing trip.

Also, in they Hyatt forum there isn't likely to be as much experience with the Marriott hotels.
Thanks for your response. We're visiting our son in October. Will probably pay since rates are under 200 per nite. Unfortunately none of the Hyatt in San Fran have a wow factor. Leaning towards the regency or centric as of now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.