Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone been asked to provide corporate identification at the GH Shanghai?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Just finished a 4-night stay - my first at this property.

Good:
- Private check-in for Diamonds on 83rd floor (check-in on 54 was quite crowded)
- Asked whether I wanted amenity or points (I took the points)
- Room (8510) was very spacious, although not very well lit with shades closed
- Very nice bathroom with an excellent shower, although the stall is partially open to the bathtub, so the tub gets wet when you shower (extra work for housekeeping)
- Interesting two-sided closet (access from both bathroom and bedroom)
- Only used the Grand Club for breakfast, which had a very nice selection, plenty of space (it never seemed more than a 1/4 full) and hot options
- Staff are very friendly
- Had one lunch at the café on 54, which was fine

Bad:
- I elected to pay the 120RMB for "premium" internet under the assumption that the charges would automatically be deleted as I am a Diamond; the old adage about the word "assume" is true. After a mild protestation the charges were deleted. I had assumed that Diamonds could always opt for the higher-speed paid service for free (norm at places like the Churchill and the Grand in NY). I guess not, but it should be the norm.
- I had difficulty getting a taxi from the hotel to take me to the Bund. 4 refused to take me, even with hotel employees yelling at the drivers. They all wanted to go to the airport. Not Hyatt's fault, but horribly inconvenient.

Nothing else to really complain about. Overall a very nice stay and a decent value for the area.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
My family of 4 (2 kids) will be travelling to Shanghai. Is it possible to get rooms that will fits all of us in the property or the Park Hyatt? I do not see any rooms with 2 queens or w double available. But I did recall a recent post that had a picture of 2 King beds - it might have been a suite. Any info will be appreciated.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lagunas2k
Has anyone been asked to provide corporate identification at the GH Shanghai?
yes, every time.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:31 pm

Anybody from Shanghai - is this a better experience or is Le Suites Orient Bund Shanghai a better experience - both have similar pricing when Im looking at my imminent stay?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Does anyone have any recent info on lounge hours here?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, UA Premier Exec, CX Gold, Diamond GP, Hilton Gold, RC Gold
Upgraded Diamond Suite into a newly renovated room (February 2014)

I’m staying in a lower flower XX12 Suite. The updated suite with a renovated room. The floor looks renovated so is the carpet.

The sofa is very nice and long. Very modern. The single chair looks a bit odd and “too” futuristic for me.

The suite is about the same size as the King Deluxe room in Grand Hyatt Singapore. (In terms of suite size, the one at Hyatt on the Bund is much bigger. Probably 80% bigger.

What I like most about the new rooms are more of the technology pieces.

That is the desk area now has two international electric plugs. It also has three types of A/V plugs including regular regular analog video / audio, HDMI, and VGA cables. It also has a 5 Volt USB plug, so you can charge your iPhone with it. It can probably charge the iPad, but not efficiently.

I also like the abundant of international electric plugs (two in the living room next to the TV. Two in the bedroom one on each side of the King size bed.

The bathroom is updated. No longer is the LCD TV screen in the corner tub which in its place is a nice sculpture. The TV in the bathroom is now integrated into the mirror. It looks cool.

There is a leather chair in the bedroom, but it’s small. (I wish they didn’t make these chairs so futuristic, but perhaps these are the “signature” pieces of furniture.

What I like best is the new Television which is in all the renovated rooms, not just the suites. Gone are the 32” Samsung. Now, the TVs are 46” Sony Bravia in the living room and 40” Sony Bravia in the bedroom. The TV system is now IPTV which is great. The normal Cable TV is still the same low resolution. But there is now an option of Video-on-Demand in HD…for FREE! This is the best part! No longer are the movies paid, but they are completely free. The 20 movies available are not the latest movies, but they are great hits like “Black Hawk Down” and “Bourne Ultimatum”; there’s even kids movies like “The Polar Express.”

All in all, the new updated room is a welcome renovation. The old rooms felt very dated (considering the hotel is about 10 years old). The new rooms seem to be an well renovated reflect a much more modern and sophisticated China.

I’m looking forward to coming back again.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:18 am

Lounge is open from 06:30 to 23:00

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Does anyone have any recent info on lounge hours here?
Breakfast is from 06:30 to 10:30 (11:30am on weekends and public holidays)
Cocktails are from 17:00 to 20:00.

The lounge is generally busy, but not the busiest lounge I've seen. (I think Grand Hyatt Singapore is a bustling one).

Most of the people in the lounge are business types which reflects the GHS as a business hotel clientele.

My only gripe about the lounge is that I would like to see more electrical sockets for my computer. I usually do set up camp once or twice up there for extended number of hours, so it would be nice.

The service in the lounge is excellent. The staff are very friendly and live up to the Hyatt standard. Certainly worth a visit if you upgrade to the Club level or are a Diamond member.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by ktp28
Breakfast is from 06:30 to 10:30 (11:30am on weekends and public holidays)
Cocktails are from 17:00 to 20:00.

The lounge is generally busy, but not the busiest lounge I've seen. (I think Grand Hyatt Singapore is a bustling one).

Most of the people in the lounge are business types which reflects the GHS as a business hotel clientele.

My only gripe about the lounge is that I would like to see more electrical sockets for my computer. I usually do set up camp once or twice up there for extended number of hours, so it would be nice.

The service in the lounge is excellent. The staff are very friendly and live up to the Hyatt standard. Certainly worth a visit if you upgrade to the Club level or are a Diamond member.
Thanks. I've not been to a lounge at a Hyatt where the bar is staffed, just self-serve. I take it that's also the case here? I stayed at the Andaz last time and they only offer wine, which is a big downer... considering between here GH and HOTB for an upcoming two week stay.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:17 pm

GH Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

The Lounge at Grand Hyatt Shanghai has better quality food, but less selection. Hyatt on the Bund has more selection but lesser quality. For example, Hyatt on the Bund has soup where GHS doesn't, but desserts at HoTB are not made with high quality chocolate.

Andaz has just wine and cookies. The benefit of Andaz is that it's location is convenient compared to the two Hyatt. I treat the Andaz as a baby Park Hyatt.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
FWIW it seems like Mr. Richard Greaves is now the new General Manager of the Grand Hyatt Shanghai. I take that as a good sign as the GH Bangkok was a great property under his management, unfortunately plagued by renovation requirements which have almost been completed now.

The previous management at GH Shanghai was an utter disaster.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by ktp28
The Lounge at Grand Hyatt Shanghai has better quality food, but less selection. Hyatt on the Bund has more selection but lesser quality. For example, Hyatt on the Bund has soup where GHS doesn't, but desserts at HoTB are not made with high quality chocolate.

Andaz has just wine and cookies. The benefit of Andaz is that it's location is convenient compared to the two Hyatt. I treat the Andaz as a baby Park Hyatt.

Thanks KTP! How does the breakfast compare? I'll be working in Pudong, so I care most about breakfast during the week and the evening spread (booze) for the weekend.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Has anyone taken a taxi or pre-arranged transportation from this hotel to the Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal (not the one near the Bund) and can tell me about how much it cost and how reliable it was?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: HHonor Diamond, SPG Plat100, HGP Plat, AF Plat, *A G (A3)
Exclamation Beware of pickpockets!!!

An otherwise uneventual 5-night stay with DSU has left some bitter after-taste after check-out: a small, sealed, transparent plastic bag with money in it (100 something Euros, together with a receipt) disappeared in the room. I was probably the one to blame - visible money is open temptation to crime, right? But then who would expect this in a Grand Hyatt, especially it is not big money!

Making this public for your next trip to the hotel - use the safe...

Dear Mr X,

Thank you for calling us on 26 Nov regarding your missing item, a plastic bag enclosing 100 over euro and some duty free receipts.

After a careful review by our Security Team, the investigation inclusive of checking our surveilance record, downloading the room entry record as well as interviewing all of the associates concerned... was completed. We deeply regret that no positive result in terms of an eventual retrieval of the lost money was reached. If there is any turn of that result we will inform you immediately.

Mr. X, thank you for choosing to stay with us and contacting us to pursue assistance for searching the missing item. The pleasure is all ours to be able to serve you and make our best endeavour to investigate the case. Meanwhile, we also appreciate your kind understanding on the above outcome and we are still of your prefer the choice of accommodation in your future visits to Shanghai. Until then, we just remain with our

Best regards,

FRANKLIN YU 俞伟
Guest Services Manager客务服务经理

Grand Hyatt Shanghai
上海金茂君悦大酒店
Jin Mao Tower, 88 Century Avenue Pudong, Shanghai 200121, China
上海市浦东世纪大道88号金茂大厦 邮政编码:200121
+86 21 5047 1234 Ext. 8686 TELEPHONE电话
+86 21 5047 9346 FAX传真
[email protected]
shanghai.grand.hyatt.com
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
It seems that one can book a "river view" when booking paid rates, but there is no such option when booking with points. Does anyone have any experience with point bookings and room assignments here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.