Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
what is the best process for room booking here? Book a standard, and then upgrade? I have about 20K hyatt points I could use, can a GOLD always get a suite?
thanks for the tips
also looking to get, pay for the club
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
Grand Hyatt Shanghai

I just completed a 5 night stay at the Shanghai Grand Hyatt. Used GP points (15,000 points/night). As a Diamond was upgrade to a Club Room on the 82nd floor. The room had a river view but they were not able to upgrade me to a suite. This is supposed to be the highest hotel in the world, located between floors 54 to 84...so the views of the city were pretty stunning. Staff in the Club Room were very attentive and were helpful. Having just completed a 6 night stay at the Grand Hyatt Beijing, in comparison, the food was pretty similar..but there was a larger variety of food at the Beijing Grand Hyatt. The metro is located around 1.5 blocks away and it only costs 3 yuans to get into downtown. Overall, I was pleased with the stay.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:12 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a fine hotel and used to be my favorite Hyatt in China but I felt like the service was going a bit downhill on my last stay, a few months ago. I will be back again in November and hopefully my last experience won't be rpeated.

If the Hyatt on the Bund were anywhere near a subway stop, I'd try it, but given the location of the Bund hotel, the Grand Hyatt remains my only Hyatt option in Shanghai until the Park Hyatt (in the adjacent building) opens next year.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
If the Hyatt on the Bund were anywhere near a subway stop, I'd try it, but given the location of the Bund hotel, the Grand Hyatt remains my only Hyatt option in Shanghai until the Park Hyatt (in the adjacent building) opens next year.
As much as I think the Bund Hyatt location is lousy (just to put things in perspective, it's within a stone's throw of the Pujiang Hotel that we used to stay at during our college years for $12 per night), I don't think subway access is a big deal if you want to spend time in Puxi anyway. In other words, that silly tunnel is the main reason Lujiazui is inconvenient; as long as you're west of the river, you should be able to cope with taxis (just pick up a cell phone that's fancy enough to surf FT and you'll be fine). Furthermore, it's worth pointing out that Shanghai's subway experience is no walk in the park (and this goes double from Lujiazui during rush hour; many people that would never consider setting foot on a subway do it any way because the alternative is just so miserable).

In closing, I'd like to say that Hyatt's Shanghai strategy (whether or not dictated by uncontrollable market forces) is questionable at best. By the time all is said and done, you guys will have 2 hotels in Lujiazui and one in the North Bund area. All three are inconvenient with respect to the western half of the city that most big name companies are reluctant to abandon.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:28 am

Free Internet Access

Just staying at the GH Shanghai now. I was informed that, as of 15.Aug.08, the guests staying in Grand Club rooms (even those Diamonds upgraded to Grand Club rooms) will have free internet access. It even says so now on the Grand Club welcome letter.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GM/Hyatt Diamond/SPG Gold/HI Plat/HHonor Gold/Delta GM
Construction noise warning

I have stayed at this Hotel and witnessed the ground breaking ceremony for the new tallest building in the next plot - The Shanghai Tower. The morning after the ground breaking ceremony, I start to hear some low frequency noise like machine pounding around 7:00am. I was at 70th floor. Too bad the once the new Shanghai Tower is built, there will not be great view anymore from this direction.

Overall, it is a very nice hotel and good service. The view is excellent even for the south river view.

The Internet connect is not free for regular guest rooms. The swimming pool and gym are excellently equipped. Be sure to pay a visit. ^
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Any updates on the GH Shanghai now that the PH is in full operation across the street?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Assist please.

I am also interested in any updates fellow FTers may have. Appreciate.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I am also interested in any updates fellow FTers may have. Appreciate.
My husband and I were there in May and very much enjoyed our stay. Service was quite good throughout. We were on a club floor but had a rather small room (river view). Bathroom was very nice but some of the furniture seemed a little worn in the room (desk chair in particular). Very hard mattress as I recall. Nice selection of hors d'oeuvres in the lounge and very friendly staff there.

Lots of construction in the area, of course, but we weren't bothered by any noise. A bit of climbing around to get to the metro though.

Did not visit the PH.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. Appreciate.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by laurajoyce
Lots of construction in the area, of course, but we weren't bothered by any noise. A bit of climbing around to get to the metro though.
Here's a tip, by the way: While the construction is going on, it's much easier to walk to the Dongcheng Road Metro station than the Lujiazui station, and it's only very slightly farther.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:03 am

PH to GH. Thanks.

Sorry if this has been asked before. Will spend first night at PH then move to GH. Is this a walk? Easy walk where I will not get killed on the road? Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Sorry if this has been asked before. Will spend first night at PH then move to GH. Is this a walk? Easy walk where I will not get killed on the road? Thanks.
It's right across the street.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
It's right across the street.
But you could still get killed.... I think they've finally put a stoplight on the right turn on red, but that may not mean much.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pickles
But you could still get killed.... I think they've finally put a stoplight on the right turn on red, but that may not mean much.
No doubt. It's still China!

I would just tell your butler, or the bellman, you're going across the street to the other Hyatt and have them facilitate your getting there with maximum ease. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they put you into a hotel car and drove you across the street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.