Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
I think you'll pleased by the Courtyard Zhabei because it is a nice hotel and the nearby subway station is very useful, but if you are drowning in Hyatt points, the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...sls-hotel.html should definitely warrant consideration. I haven't been there yet, but I dare say the location is the best of all Hyatts in Shanghai:
-as noted earlier, I eliminate the PH and GH because they are on the wrong side of the river
-the Hyatt on the Bund is not on the Bund, and is kind of isolated
-the Andaz is fine, but Xintiandi honestly isn't especially interesting (I used to live there, and still work there)
Most likely going with the Central, in fact I reserved it for 5 nights, even better deal as the 5th night is free with Marriott points redemptions.

I was definitely looking at the Sukhothai, looks like a very nice luxury experience. But cash rates are only $250 per night during my stay so if I were to stay there, I wouldn't use Hyatt points, I'd pay cash. I was drowning in Hyatt points though I am using a bunch for the HR Kyoto after my China portion.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:32 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Noob question. If breakfast included for Explorist? Or I need to use my club access certificate for it?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RedSun
Noob question. If breakfast included for Explorist? Or I need to use my club access certificate for it?
I'm certain breakfast is not included for Explorist if not included in room rate. You will only get breakfast if you use Club access certificate and then have breakfast in the GC.

As Globalist, breakfast was only in the GC, not restaurant.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:29 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by CIT85
I'm certain breakfast is not included for Explorist if not included in room rate. You will only get breakfast if you use Club access certificate and then have breakfast in the GC.

As Globalist, breakfast was only in the GC, not restaurant.
Yes, this is confirmed. I'll just use the club certificate since I'll get to Globe soon....
Old Mar 10, 2023, 6:49 am

Staying at the hotel now for two nights. This hotel is no longer my favourite one in Shanghai.

Arrived hotel at 12:40pm, and went to 54/F to check in. I was curious why there were so many people milling around the lobby. I thought it was a tour group gathering together to go somewhere.

I went to Reception, and two gentlemen were there counting keycards. Neither paid any attention to me. Waited almost 30 sec, and I then had to speak up before one of them even acknowledged I was in front of him.I told him I would like to check in. He rudely said "You cannot check in now". I asked why not, and he said "Check in time is at 1:00pm. You cannot check in until 1:00pm because none of the rooms are ready". Ok, so now I know that is why there were so many other people in the lobby.

I sat down, and did online check in via the app. It showed that my suite was ready. I went back to the Reception to the same gentleman, and showed him the app confirming the room is available. He looked at the app and rudely said "You booked a suite? Why didn't you say so?" He took my name and confirmed on his computer that I was also a Globalist. He then said t me "You are Globalist? Why didn't you say so?" By that time, I was getting quite pissed off. I told him that it is not my responsibility to flaunt my status. Shouldn't it be your responsibility to engage with guests appropriately, instead of just brushing them off with a 1:00pm check in time excuse???

I am not really sure what the hotel policy has become regarding check in. It seems strange that they now enforce a blanket 1:00pm check in time because none of the rooms are ready prior to that. I assume the hotel is not busy (my rate was quite low...CNY 960/night), so I could not imagine that not even one room is available to check in guests early.

The 54/F Grand Cafe is gone. It has been changed into function rooms. I did not try any of the restaurants on 55 or 56th floors yet. The breakfast is now at ON56, but I will not be trying this since I have access to the Grand Club.

I did go to the Grand Club for evening cocktails tonight. What a difference pre- and post-COVID. Food selection much less than before, and of noticeably cheap/cheaper quality. I doubt whether I will be going to the evening cocktails tomorrow night.

While at the Grand Club, I did complain about the unacceptable and slightly-insulting check-in experience, and then promptly asked the staff to cancel my next stay in April. I am voting with my wallet, and will move elsewhere.

Will try breakfast tomorrow morning, and report back. I am not hopeful of anything good.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Staying at the hotel now for two nights. This hotel is no longer my favourite one in Shanghai.

Arrived hotel at 12:40pm, and went to 54/F to check in. I was curious why there were so many people milling around the lobby. I thought it was a tour group gathering together to go somewhere.

I went to Reception, and two gentlemen were there counting keycards. Neither paid any attention to me. Waited almost 30 sec, and I then had to speak up before one of them even acknowledged I was in front of him.I told him I would like to check in. He rudely said "You cannot check in now". I asked why not, and he said "Check in time is at 1:00pm. You cannot check in until 1:00pm because none of the rooms are ready". Ok, so now I know that is why there were so many other people in the lobby.

I sat down, and did online check in via the app. It showed that my suite was ready. I went back to the Reception to the same gentleman, and showed him the app confirming the room is available. He looked at the app and rudely said "You booked a suite? Why didn't you say so?" He took my name and confirmed on his computer that I was also a Globalist. He then said t me "You are Globalist? Why didn't you say so?" By that time, I was getting quite pissed off. I told him that it is not my responsibility to flaunt my status. Shouldn't it be your responsibility to engage with guests appropriately, instead of just brushing them off with a 1:00pm check in time excuse???

I am not really sure what the hotel policy has become regarding check in. It seems strange that they now enforce a blanket 1:00pm check in time because none of the rooms are ready prior to that. I assume the hotel is not busy (my rate was quite low...CNY 960/night), so I could not imagine that not even one room is available to check in guests early.

The 54/F Grand Cafe is gone. It has been changed into function rooms. I did not try any of the restaurants on 55 or 56th floors yet. The breakfast is now at ON56, but I will not be trying this since I have access to the Grand Club.

I did go to the Grand Club for evening cocktails tonight. What a difference pre- and post-COVID. Food selection much less than before, and of noticeably cheap/cheaper quality. I doubt whether I will be going to the evening cocktails tomorrow night.

While at the Grand Club, I did complain about the unacceptable and slightly-insulting check-in experience, and then promptly asked the staff to cancel my next stay in April. I am voting with my wallet, and will move elsewhere.

Will try breakfast tomorrow morning, and report back. I am not hopeful of anything good.
GH Jeju also enforces a blanket check-in time of 3pm, even, for Globalists. Maybe 2pm if they're feeling generous. Definitely vote with your wallet because Shanghai is spoilt with options.

GH Shanghai also seems to be GM-less since Anthony Ha left?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
This description gave me bad flashbacks to my first visit to the PRC in 1985. On top of the outrageously bad service overall, the only meal I had of any note was at the recently-opened Da Dong.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 1:44 am

To follow up on my post, above…

I had breakfast the first morning of my two-night stay at the Grand Club. Just as I had predicted, breakfast has gone downhill. Really sub-standard quality food, and not a lot of choices. It is a definitely noticeable difference compared with pre-COVID. The second morning, I skipped breakfast at the hotel altogether, and just went across the street to the Starbucks Reserve in the Shanghai Tower.

Although my stay was booked for two nights, and then planning to go to Hangzhou thereafter, I had some additional matters to take care of in Shanghai and needed to extend by a few nights (and also cancelled the Hangzhou trip). Although I had no intention of extending at the Grand Hyatt, just out of curiosity, I asked at the Grand Club what the rate would be for a 3-night extension. They quoted CNY 920/night, which was even lower than my initial rate.

Anyway, I checked out of the Grand Hyatt at 10:30am today. At the 54/F Lobby, there were already 10+ guests sitting in the Lounge area, all with luggage. I sympathise with them, since many probably did not know about the blanket 1:00pm check-in policy. Waiting 2+ hours for check-in, even though rooms would probably be available (ref. The low rate quoted to me for extending), is not something I would be happy about. If the Grand Hyatt continues this policy, and does not revert back to something sensible, I will be crossing this hotel off my list.

Now writing this from Shangri-La Jing An. Booked at base Deluxe Room at CNT 1,461; checked-in at 11:00am, and got double-upgraded Deluxe—> Premier—> Executive. Executive rooms are like a junior suite, with a separate living room. Also getting 6:00pm late checkout because of my Diamond status. Temporarily booked two nights, and may extend for a third. Or, I may spend the third night at the new Shangri-La Qiantan (makes it easier to go to Pudong Airport). Yes, the rates are much higher than the Grand Hyatt, but I have much more confidence in the Shangri-La chain now, where I have stayed in several cities even during COVID times, and have been treated very well.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
GH Jeju also enforces a blanket check-in time of 3pm, even, for Globalists. Maybe 2pm if they're feeling generous. Definitely vote with your wallet because Shanghai is spoilt with options.

GH Shanghai also seems to be GM-less since Anthony Ha left?
I checked in this morning and apparently they have a new GM as he greeted me. I have no idea who he is as there was 0 announcement from Hyatt.

Some staff members are noticeably rude indeed. I came yesterday night to book and visit rooms and the staff said this was impossible, until I booked in front of them and it showed a Globalist note.. Finally they agreed to show me one room.

The GM told me they are running at 98% those days. I am curious how they manage this with 2 receptionists and 600 rooms but kudos if that’s really the case.

I was offered a 2 PM checkin to a suite and a Deluxe room while I was waited. Not too bad at this stage.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 3:46 am

Actually they still don’t have a GM but the area VP, David Tseo is doing the interim. Curious why they would let such a large hotel without a GM for that long.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by llb09
Actually they still don’t have a GM but the area VP, David Tseo is doing the interim. Curious why they would let such a large hotel without a GM for that long.
Probably lack of applicants.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aventine
Probably lack of applicants.
Doesn't corporate manage it (in which case they would appoint a new GM)? Tmk, the owner (Jinmao) is fairly hands off.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:29 am

I’m thinking maybe most people wouldn’t consider a position in China until they dropped all the restrictions this year. The GM left 9 months ago.

The area VP seems very involved. I saw him at Check In, then talking to all guests in the Lounge and offering drinks during the Happy Hours. Pretty impressive.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by llb09
I’m thinking maybe most people wouldn’t consider a position in China until they dropped all the restrictions this year. The GM left 9 months ago.

The area VP seems very involved. I saw him at Check In, then talking to all guests in the Lounge and offering drinks during the Happy Hours. Pretty impressive.
If I choose to stay at this hotel again (unlikely), and I ran into this GM, I would really go at it with him at tell him what a downgrade this hotel has become. Quite a shame that the Grand Hyatt Shanghai has gone from my go-to in Shanghai to an option not even worth considering. (I have been staying at the Shangri-La Qiantan during my last few trips to Shanghai, and I love it there.)
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:50 am

If I choose to stay at this hotel again (unlikely), and I ran into this GM, I would really go at it with him at tell him what a downgrade this hotel has become. Quite a shame that the Grand Hyatt Shanghai has gone from my go-to in Shanghai to an option not even worth considering. (I have been staying at the Shangri-La Qiantan during my last few trips to Shanghai, and I love it there.)
1st stay here for me. What surprises me the most is the lounge offering which is like half what there was at the Hyatt Regency W. where I was last night, whereas the Grand Hyatt is 3x the price.

Did they offer welcome amenities for Globalist in the past? Got nothing but water so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.