Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2006, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Originally Posted by sfvoyage

1. Are the timeshare units integrated with the hotel room inventory? Under the timeshare offer, will I be offered a suite depending on the hotel occupancy? (Better chance if lower occupancy?)
The timeshare units are uphill from the hotel units (few hundred yards away) but on the same property. I was put in one of the timeshare units but I suppose it's possible they could put you in a hotel unit.

2. Will Diamonds be offered free breakfast vouchers? This timeshare includes $50 or $100 dining vouchers and the T&C states that this offer "does not provide Hyatt Gold Passport program benefits or Gold Passport Points in conjunction with this promotional offer," so I assume they won't give me Diamond breakfast vouchers. However, on another thread from my search, someone was given Diamond vouchers, but I can't recall if that was on a FFN, as opposed to a timeshare, stay.
As a diamond doing the timeshare offer, I wasn't given breakfast coupons

3. How was the actual timeshare presentation? Was it a full 90 minutes? Was it high pressured?
The presentation was a full 90 minutes but there was no pressure when we said no.

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:43 pm

I'm thinking of taking the timeshare offer next weekend, but I have injured my left ankle and am on crutches for a week. Will the timeshare unit and the hotel in general be difficult to negotiate on crutches? Is it possible to drive up & park next to the unit? Will there be a lot of walking around, up and down hill, between the room, lobby, restaurant, parking lot, etc.?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:53 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Well - The property is on a coastal hill. So its certainly not flat.

Under most if not all rooms there will be stairs and hills along the way between the room, lobby, restaurant, etc.

Take a look at the View Picture Gallery (pic#2) or many of the View Virtual Tours also show them. It will give you a better idea for yourself rather than relying on feedback. The can be viewed by searching for Carmel hotels on Hyatt.com them you have the option of photo or virtual tours.

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I'm thinking of taking the timeshare offer next weekend, but I have injured my left ankle and am on crutches for a week. Will the timeshare unit and the hotel in general be difficult to negotiate on crutches? Is it possible to drive up & park next to the unit? Will there be a lot of walking around, up and down hill, between the room, lobby, restaurant, parking lot, etc.?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 3:28 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Recent Stay

Given the mixed reviews for the Park Hyatt Carmel Highlands, it was with some trepidation that I cashed two free night certificates.

But, it was all about location, and with room 253, we were not saddled with one of the small rooms, getting a living area, fold out couch and, since it was on the lowest level near the street, an unobstructed view from the bed, deck and table on which I writing this mini report. Not actually a suite, but if size matters, worth asking for, IMHO.

Certificate availability was limited, although the two nights we got, Thursday and Friday, well matched our schedules.

I don't know if the excellent public spaces (the Jacuzzi, the restaurant, the great room) all over looking the ocean would have made up for a poor room, but if I had to do it over again I would have made a safety reservation somewhere just in case we lost room roulette.

Even if not staying here, I'd go somewhat out of my way for a meal with views...breakfast for four was less than breakfast for one at the Gritti Palace....Is America a great value, or what?
Old May 29, 2008, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jkc22
Anyway, you (and others) may have different opinions, but myself and Pickles are not fans of this property. You might want to do a search.....

Comparing this "pile" (credit Pickles) to FS and R-C is an insult to both and even to the PH name. This property is NOT worthy of the Park designation. If you have stayed at Paris, Milan, Tokyo, and Goa Park Hyatts prepare to be disappointed by this "Park".

But then again, it has its historic and rustic "charm" and an amazing view....those are all I would say are this hotel's selling points.....calling this "pile" a luxury hotel is a perfect example of the misuse of the word "luxury."
I am happy to report that this pile is now been downgraded from Park Hyatt to Hyatt Regency. That is a welcome development. The PH Johannesburg has also been stripped into a HR, which makes my worst 2 Hyatt stays ever seem less pathetic in retrospect.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:29 pm

Highlands Inn

I was wondering why did Hyatt take off the "Park Hyatt" to the Highlands Inn? Is the service the same or did they want to make it easier for people to recognize the historic Highlands Inn? Is it still a Park Hyatt with a shorter name?

Also how have your stays been here in a Townhouse Suite? Is there any difference in the size between the one level spa tub suite?

I have heard that a lot of people like this place and it is not overrated a true 4 star resort is that correct?

Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielonn
I was wondering why did Hyatt take off the "Park Hyatt" to the Highlands Inn? Is the service the same or did they want to make it easier for people to recognize the historic Highlands Inn? Is it still a Park Hyatt with a shorter name?

Also how have your stays been here in a Townhouse Suite? Is there any difference in the size between the one level spa tub suite?

I have heard that a lot of people like this place and it is not overrated a true 4 star resort is that correct?

Thanks
I am confident that the service level at this hotel is the same as when it was called a Park Hyatt, namely, lousy.

Cognizant of what must have been many complaints about the poor service at this hotel, Hyatt wisely decided to downgrade the title when the management contract permitted them to do so. That way it doesn't pollute the Park Hyatt name for those hotels that are entitled to bear it.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
I am at the Highlands Inn right now.

What a sH!th0le.

Let's see:

no desk in the room
doors don't close
sliders don't close
tons of road noise
heater is only in the bedroom, not in the bathroom
paper thin walls
paper thin ceiling, I hear footsteps from above
45 minutes for a burger and soup to come to the room

DO NOT STAY HERE. Free is too much. Sleep in your car instead.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by EleanorMcDaniel
I am at the Highlands Inn right now.

What a sH!th0le.

Let's see:

no desk in the room
doors don't close
sliders don't close
tons of road noise
heater is only in the bedroom, not in the bathroom
paper thin walls
paper thin ceiling, I hear footsteps from above
45 minutes for a burger and soup to come to the room

DO NOT STAY HERE. Free is too much. Sleep in your car instead.
What a sad comedown. This used to be one of the truly premier resort properties in the country. And the Pacific Edge restaurant was world famous for outstanding cuisine and service, with some of the best chefs in the world. I stayed here several times, but not in the last two years.

Has anyone eaten in either of the restaurants recently?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:40 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JerryFF
What a sad comedown. This used to be one of the truly premier resort properties in the country. And the Pacific Edge restaurant was world famous for outstanding cuisine and service, with some of the best chefs in the world. I stayed here several times, but not in the last two years.

Has anyone eaten in either of the restaurants recently?
Yes, I've stayed and eaten in the restaurants last month. My experience was nothing like the above poster's. Fabulous room (definitely one of the best, with no one above or below me and no noise), great views of the ocean, no need for a desk since sure don't go there to work, great staff. It's a cozy place ...well, it's Carmel. I don't know how I'd feel about paying $600=$700 for it, perhaps look at Bernardus or Post Ranch Inn if Highlands is not to your liking.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:34 pm

Hello,
First time poster here! I am currently a Hyatt GP Platinum memeber.

Anyways I had a faster free night to use up so my wife and I decided to go to Monterey for the night. We checked the Highlands Inn and it was not available for the night we wanted (Feb 21st - Feb 22nd). So we went ahead and booked at the Monterey Bay Regency Marina hotel which looked very nice as well.

Well two nights ago I check and the Highlands Inn became avaialable for the night we wanted so I called and got our FFN switched over to the Highlands Inn.

Mainly I just wanted to see if you guys thought this was a wise idea. I can't seem to tell judging by some of the reviews.

The Monterey Bay Hyatt was like $200 for the night and the Highlands Inn is about $600. Granted we're not paying since it's a FFN, but still for that type of price difference I would think the Highlands Inn would be the one to go with.

Just wanted to see what people thought. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Kyle
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:09 pm

Just back from a 3 night FFN stay. Got the large 2-level unit with great ocean view.
As a diamond, also rec'ed breakfast coupons everyday.
I love this hotel...service is outstanding, food is as well, and I love having a new fire prepared by housekeeping each day.
A great use of FFN.
Bob
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:24 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

HipToBeKyle - first off - welcome to Flyertalk and the Hyatt forum.

I've never stayed at the Monterey property so can't comment. Highlands Inn was fine - I think the complaints here have been more to do with its former status as a Park Hyatt and the rates charged. You got a great use of your FFN - so don't worry about if you made the right decision.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I had brunch outside at the smaller restaurant, last month. Everything was wonderful there, as always, in my opinion. I asked a staff person about the name change. He claimed that it was because the property went to part timeshare, and that doesn't fit with the Park Hyatt product. (We've spent every Thanksgiving weekend there for years, except 2008, and never noticed any difference in quality through 2007.)

To HipToBeKyle: Are you sure your other option was the other Hyatt? If it was the marina hotel, that's a very nice one, super location, but it wouldn't be the Hyatt.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:26 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Just a note to update this thread. We were there last week on Thurs night only. Under Hyatt's new no blackout for awards policy, we got 2 rooms on points (well one was a "won" night from the sweepstakes) - both rooms upgraded to the townhouse suite (504 & 505) and breakfast certificates for both rooms given without having to ask. Valet staff was great and amazingly quick getting our car to the valet area or picking up our bags within a minute of my calling and they always remembered which car was ours without any claim ticket number.

The small negatives, the pullout couch wouldn't pullout in 504 and they had no clue about the free internet for Diamonds (after the second call - they setup a "new" separate T-mobile account for me which I couldn't get to work). The furnishings in the room looked a bit downscale for the place.

I would still categorize this as a great property for points / FFNs usage but less so for "regular" revenue stays at rates more than say $300. It is certainly a very unique Hyatt property with amazing views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.