Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Planning to stay there in March, can anyone comment on the view from the sunset lounge comparing to the pacific's edge?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Intercontinental, Avis Chairman's Club
The view is essentially identical since they are right next to one another. The lounge area extends into the lobby area, where you may be able to sit close to the windows. I think the official lounge area is an elevated area just off the Pacific Edge so you are looking over some of the people eating dinner from that area.

Greg
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Bring sunglasses?

Certainly not a complaint, but for our dinner at Pacific's Edge in October, we were seated at a table in front of a floor-to-ceiling window by the kitchen a half-hour before sunset. Without a cloud in the sky, it can be blinding. We actually had them lower the blinds until about 10 minutes out.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by huskergreg
The view is essentially identical since they are right next to one another. The lounge area extends into the lobby area, where you may be able to sit close to the windows. I think the official lounge area is an elevated area just off the Pacific Edge so you are looking over some of the people eating dinner from that area.

Greg
Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Intercontinental, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by peteropny
Hey, you're in one of our rooms Did they replace the furniture and renovate the kitchen? In May the living room furniture especially the table & chairs were decidedly downscale as was the kitchen.
We stayed in 505 in early October. They had just refurbished it and were doing some of the other townhouses while we were there. My wife and I fall into the "love this place" category. The views we had were spectacular from our room, California Market and Pacific Edge (we were there before the end of daylight savings time so it was still light when we ate).

Greg

Last edited by huskergreg; Dec 29, 2009 at 7:59 pm
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:24 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Redeemed 3 FFNs for 1 night last Sunday. The view, where not blocked by the building in front or the trees, was gorgeous. Didn't receive an upgrade (perhaps due to 3 rooms?). Great location, but I think the regular rooms are a bit tiny.

Had dinner at the Pacific's Edge, since it was dark early so no view. Timing was an issue - we waited 1 hour from ordering to getting our food, and the restaurant wasn't full. Dress code was anything but shorts and slippers. The fish special was delicious, and so was the snapper. The medium steak was dry at the edge and bloody in the middle. Had to remind the waiter about drinks. Auto 18% service charge (SC) for over 6 guests.

There were 7 of us, but the check-in agent gave us only 3 breakfast certs for 6 people and told us "to share." Each dish is about $13-$16 so although we shared 6, with drinks and SC we ended up about $8 pp, which isn't bad but I thought that breakfast would be given to every guest in the room?

I think this was a good stay on FFN.

FD1971 - we enjoyed Sierra Mar, and were impressed with Post Ranch Inn. The view from the drive there was beautiful, especially in the foggy weather.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I experienced similar breakfast coupon nonsense the last time I was there (which will be the last time I will ever be there). I refused to leave until I got the right number of coupons.

But how nice if that was my only problem! As but one example, having a bellman hammer at your door at 7am asking for luggage when you are not checking out and never requested the call: well that can really spoil a night's sleep especially since the venetian blinds they have in the rooms didn't darken things out well to begin with.

It is nice to read that some people had a pleasant experience. I did too the first time I stayed there. But my second stay was just absurd from start to finish.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:47 pm

Restaurant.com certificate

Both restaurants (pacific's edge & california market) are offering $25 off certificate on restaurant.com for $2 each (promo code CHEER). There are some restrictions though: min purchase of $35 at cal mkt & 2 main courses at pacific's edge.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by rdchen
Both restaurants (pacific's edge & california market) are offering $25 off certificate on restaurant.com for $2 each (promo code CHEER). There are some restrictions though: min purchase of $35 at cal mkt & 2 main courses at pacific's edge.
That's a great tip! That's a much better deal than we got using Hyatt gift checks - and who knows, perhaps you'd successfully be able to use both.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:58 pm

that's exactly what I'm planning to do, will report back.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Certainly not a complaint, but for our dinner at Pacific's Edge in October, we were seated at a table in front of a floor-to-ceiling window by the kitchen a half-hour before sunset. Without a cloud in the sky, it can be blinding. We actually had them lower the blinds until about 10 minutes out.
As somebody who doesn't get to see the sun all that often; this does NOT sound like an issue
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
That's a great tip! That's a much better deal than we got using Hyatt gift checks - and who knows, perhaps you'd successfully be able to use both.
As long as you are a guest there, you can definitely use both.
Use the restaurant.com cert at the end of the meal to bring down the check total by $25.
Charge the meal to your room.
When checking out, settle your room+incidentals bill using Hyatt Gift Checks.

I know this works - I did this exact same thing at another Hyatt last night (Dearborn)
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
FFN at Highlands Inn

Satori says "This location offers simple pleasures at a high price. Personally I have only stayed using FFN free nights. I find it a great deal as a Hyatt Diamond member who has always received the townhouse apartment rooms."

Does anyone know if everyone receives these townhouse apartments with the FFN being a diamond? Can I request this room during reservation or they upgrade you when checking in?

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:18 pm

I see that Highlands Inn was selected as one of World's Best Places to Stay by Conde Nast Traveler. The mini review says "their greatest asset is their view". That is certainly what makes it one of my favorite places to stay.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, AA G (MM), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Global Entry, NEXUS
I just finished my first stay here -- four nights with my fiancée, originally reserved with points and then switched to NBT nights.

In a word, the Highlands Inn is spectacular. It's all about the view, and I've never had a hotel room view that even came close -- and I've had some great views in my time. They put us in 504, one of their eight two-story suites. Full bath + kitchen + dining area + living room + fireplace + deck upstairs, master suite bath + bedroom downstairs. My better half had to work to hold it together until the bell person left, then practically screamed with delight. The best part is that, at least in our suite, the view from inside is completely private, down the hill and out to the ocean. If you walk out on the upstairs deck, you can see much of the resort, but not from inside. It's wonderful.

Breakfast at California Market was great. Starting out each day sitting on the deck with the heater going, looking out over the ocean, was amazing. Note that the breakfast certs cover $16/person, which is enough for the continental buffet, but not for a la carte items + drinks. The buffet worked perfectly for me, though while we were there, it was only offered on the weekend (that may be a seasonal thing).

We had dinner at Pacific's Edge one night. We arrived early, at 5:30 PM on the dot, and as a result got the best table in the house, on the corner. We had the tasting menu with their wine choices. We liked the tuna carpaccio, weren't fond of the sweetbreads (I should have asked for a substitution up front), and loved the duck with foie gras. I thought the desserts were excellent, though they weren't to my fiancée's (self-admittedly unusual) tastes. One of the wine selections was good, one very good, one sub-par, and one (the dessert early-harvest) stunning. Overall, we were happy with dinner.

The staff was excellent. Every interaction we had with them was good, from the front desk and restaurants to the bell staff and maintenance personnel. Nearly everyone seemed to go out of their way to make sure we were satisfied.

Our very minor issues were as follows:
  • Wireless: we couldn't get it to charge to the room (and therefore be subtracted from the bill) for most of the visit. I spoke with T-Mobile and they claimed the issue was on Hyatt's side. The hotel wasn't able to correct the problem while we were there.
  • Whirlpool tub: this was wonderful, but we could have used an instruction manual for the control panel. It was a bit confusing. If we had used this earlier in the visit, I would have asked someone to come give me a quick tutorial.
  • Smoke alarm: starting on our last night there, the smoke alarm downstairs began beeping (as in, in danger of sounding) when we used the tub or the shower. If we had been there longer, we would have asked them to look into it.
  • Workout room: most people don't come here to use a treadmill or elliptical; they come to get outside, just as we did. But two mornings, I wanted to get in a quick workout before the day started, and it was well below the quality of a Hyatt Place gym. Still, I understand this.

I consider these all extremely minor complaints. You can place them in context by realizing that by our second day there, we were already planning a return trip for 2012. If we hadn't just spent a week in a high-end condominium just off the slopes in Whistler, my fiancée would have called it her best vacation ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.