Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:58 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by karung99
We are staying at 501,502 and 509 town house, beautiful place, the manager was saying there is 15 Diamonds staying this weekend. I wonder how many are FTer.

We should have the Highlands Inns DO for next FFN promotion here.
You have 3 townhouses??!!! Here I thought it was exceptional that I got 2 last May

Not sure a Do would be a good idea, we'd be fighting over the upgrades!!!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by peteropny
You have 3 townhouses??!!! Here I thought it was exceptional that I got 2 last May

Not sure a Do would be a good idea, we'd be fighting over the upgrades!!!
We were very lucky, Stephany (Room Manager) and front desk staffs were excellent.

Agree with you about the DO, we all will fight for the townhouse.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Originally Posted by karung99
We were very lucky, Stephany (Room Manager) and front desk staffs were excellent.

Agree with you about the DO, we all will fight for the townhouse.
Also stayed this weekend on 2 FFNs. Was not lucky enough to get the townhomes (did not even think this was possible with multiple rooms booked). Front desk informed me that 75% of the reservations in March was FFN.
Loved our stay since we ended up having 2 amazing oceanview rooms next to each other 5 steps from the pool. With the weather being slightly chilly, I thought this was actually pretty good being close to our fire after a swim. I think the townhomes are slightly further away. Overall, thought the highland inn was amazing and is definitely a place to revisit (and strive for the townhomes next time). ^^^

Last edited by coterie; Mar 14, 2010 at 9:49 pm
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:34 pm

using points for Highlands Inn

Now all my FFNs are used up, I was wondering what I could expect with points. The issue being, Highlands Inn seems to be reservable either as a hotel free night award (18000 points) or as a vacation club award (15000 points for a one bedroom and 23000 points for a 2 bedroom- I do not believe there is a studio nor a 3 bedroom at Highlands Inn). It seems that you will get a better room going with the 15000 points and requesting a one-bedroom vs 18000 points and getting a regular room. Any experiences? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

That's an interesting question. I was told that the timeshare units are across from the hotel going up the hill. Thus, I am not sure that a 15K award would book into the hotel.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by coterie
Also stayed this weekend on 2 FFNs. Was not lucky enough to get the townhomes (did not even think this was possible with multiple rooms booked). Front desk informed me that 75% of the reservations in March was FFN.
Loved our stay since we ended up having 2 amazing oceanview rooms next to each other 5 steps from the pool. With the weather being slightly chilly, I thought this was actually pretty good being close to our fire after a swim. I think the townhomes are slightly further away. Overall, thought the highland inn was amazing and is definitely a place to revisit (and strive for the townhomes next time). ^^^
Last weekend 15 Diamonds was staying, could see lots of breakfast coupons too

Town House just above the pool area, I was the one who seem bright early morning.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by coterie
Now all my FFNs are used up, I was wondering what I could expect with points. The issue being, Highlands Inn seems to be reservable either as a hotel free night award (18000 points) or as a vacation club award (15000 points for a one bedroom and 23000 points for a 2 bedroom- I do not believe there is a studio nor a 3 bedroom at Highlands Inn). It seems that you will get a better room going with the 15000 points and requesting a one-bedroom vs 18000 points and getting a regular room. Any experiences? Thanks in advance.
OK, you piqued my interest - I called. The Hyatt Vacation Club (HVC) units are up the hill from the hotel a small bit, but of the 100 or so units, about 1/3 are non-ocean view, and most of the OV's look over the top of other units - so that's the trade-off/gamble you take. Last Oct. I used an FFN for wedding anniv. and recieved a wonderful HVC OV that looked over the top of another unit - didn't bother us in the least, considering the room.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:21 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

See post #86 for a diagram of the property.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
OK, you piqued my interest - I called. The Hyatt Vacation Club (HVC) units are up the hill from the hotel a small bit, but of the 100 or so units, about 1/3 are non-ocean view, and most of the OV's look over the top of other units - so that's the trade-off/gamble you take. Last Oct. I used an FFN for wedding anniv. and recieved a wonderful HVC OV that looked over the top of another unit - didn't bother us in the least, considering the room.
Always with so much info jumpdogjump!!!! I will report back after my next visit to the Highlands and let you all know (not sure when it will be though). Having a one bedroom for lesser points is definitely a bonus if the views can be similar. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Just got back from two NBT nights here. First, let me say that we had a very enjoyable stay, and had no real complaints. We were in room 528, which had a beautiful view of the ocean, but is not an "upgrade". I agree with a previous poster that these rooms are small, with only the bed, desk chair, and a bench for sitting. Luckily, we had beautiful weather, so we sat outside on the deck and enjoyed out Diamond amenity, a bottle of Chardonnay and a small cheese plate.

We were not able to connect to the wireless in our room (the front desk said that the only access was to pay TMobile for a daily pass), so we used one of the two computers in the lobby with free internet access.

We had dinner at Pacific's Edge on Saturday night. Everything was good - the busboys were right on top of filling our water glasses and bringing bread - but for some reason no one ever wanted to pour our wine. The first time we sat there with empty glasses for several minutes during the main course, until we stopped the manager and asked him if we could have some more. Later in the meal, we ended up getting up and retrieving the bottle from the service area ourselves, so we could finish the last two glasses. It was no big deal, just a little annoying. Normally, you never even get the chance to empty your glass before someone is trying to fill it up!

Overall, it was a great weekend!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ineedavacation
(the front desk said that the only access was to pay TMobile for a daily pass)
I've done that a few times in the last year at other Hyatts, billed to my room, and always had it removed at check-out. Did you ask if they would do that?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA 2P, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
We just stayed there this past weekend. We were able to get a free T-Mobile day pass from the front desk, but it wasn't offered at check-in.

A pleasant stay, especially on an FFN, but we did not have outstanding experiences in Pacific's Edge or California Market for breakfast (both food and service were lacking). We will likely dine elsewhere the next time.

On the plus side, the platinum extras amenity was a nice bottle of local pinot. A very minor complaint is that the windows in both of our guestrooms and the restaurant were quite dirty, which unfortunately obscured the otherwise amazing view.

We did take advantage of the free bike rental to ride to Point Lobos. Not sure I would recommend the experience to novice cyclists. The traffic on Highway 1 was quite intimidating for my mom.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
I just completed a 2 night stay at the Highlands Inn. Was given Room 512, which is an end unit in the 501 to 512 Building. This is a one story room with living room and the bedroom all on the top level with a very large patio. The ocean view from this room was alot better than the view from Room 502, which is the room I had during my stay last month.

I still had trouble logging into the T-Mobile internet. They gave me 2 pre-paid card to use, but I ended up having to call T-Mobile to get them to enter the pre-paid card pin number. My spouse had problems with the smoke from the fireplace from the adjoining units. The odor really started to bother her in the evening when people were burning wood. Other than these 2 problems...it was a good stay.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by lswcih
The odor really started to bother her in the evening when people were burning wood.
Seeing as how everybody and their mother lights their fire (how can you not when it is setup SOOO well), this would certainly not be the hotel to go if you get smoke irritations. I couldn't believe how smoky it was there, you look around and their is smoke chugging out of almost every chimney each evening/night.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:05 am
AMA

Anyone actually tried/tested any wireless web services through the major carriers, such as AT&T, Sprint, Verizon?

I have Sprint 3g/4g wireless, and am anticipating picking up AT&T and/or Verizon wireless in the future.

Or, on another note, any WiFi spots in the vicinity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.