Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The taxis at the airport are a ripoff compared to other options.

When we arrived at the beginning of the month, it was 200k to Benoa (same distance as Nusa Dua, but pricing might be a little different).

You can get an Uber at the airport for 40-60k to Nusa Dua or Benoa. It's really easy to get one. They seemed to have 5-6 at the airport, so just took 2 minutes.

I've gotten Innova and the slightly smaller Avanzas at the airport.

If you do want a higher end service, you can get a Golden Bird Innova for 215k. This is what most hotels book for you.

In the last 3 weeks, I've used Uber a dozen times. From a short drive down the street, to returning from Ubud to Benoa (130k), no major problems.

There are tons of Uber drivers in Kuta, Nusa Dua, Ubud, etc. In upper Benoa, drivers fall off after 10pm.

The toll fee is now 11k. Uber adds it onto your bill. If you take Uber to the airport, you pay a 3k parking fee, also added onto your bill.
^
Very useful,

We used the hotel service "from" the airport...390K. It was exactly as you described...Golden Bird Innova. So, the hotel obviously made a bunch of $$ from us.
Oh well.
After that one ride, we used regular meter taxis.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
All excellent info! We will try Uber.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:27 am

Stayed here for the first time recently and my partner and I could not be more impressed. I am a Hyatt Diamond and we thoroughly enjoyed the lounge and room upgrade (DSU), but the service at every encounter and the resort grounds so impressed us that we would recommend this resort wholeheartedly. Every staff person is just so friendly and ready to make sure we were taken care of. The grounds are so thoughtfully designed and expertly manicured. I didn't love the pools (especially because they were almost all overrun with screaming kids), but luckily the beach in front of the Hyatt is quite nice.

Our first room had an issue with the A/C. They promptly moved us to another room, which while not renovated, was still in very good condition.

Some other notes:
- Airport: free visa on arrival (for US and others), but the line at immigration took over 45-minutes. If your hotel offers airport pickup with expedited immigration, do it.
- We tried to take Uber from the airport, but we couldn't log on to the free wifi and although I had roaming signal, my connection was faulty. Also, I'm pretty sure I got scammed at the taxi counter. We weren't smart enough to look for it, but the price should be posted. And get a receipt with the price.
- Sunset walks along the beach are lovely. Although Nusa Dua faces east, the sky is still gorgeous if you walk south.
- Sunrises are spectacular, obviously.
- I thought the gym left a lot to be desired, but at least it was never crowded and they had foam roller.
- The pools close on the early end (7pm), so adjust your expectations.
- Again, the grounds are beautiful. There's ample opportunity for bird- (and bat) watching. Also, giant lizards in the ponds!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by 54austin
Stayed here for the first time recently and my partner and I could not be more impressed. I am a Hyatt Diamond and we thoroughly enjoyed the lounge and room upgrade (DSU), but the service at every encounter and the resort grounds so impressed us that we would recommend this resort wholeheartedly. Every staff person is just so friendly and ready to make sure we were taken care of. The grounds are so thoughtfully designed and expertly manicured. I didn't love the pools (especially because they were almost all overrun with screaming kids), but luckily the beach in front of the Hyatt is quite nice.

Our first room had an issue with the A/C. They promptly moved us to another room, which while not renovated, was still in very good condition.

Some other notes:
- Airport: free visa on arrival (for US and others), but the line at immigration took over 45-minutes. If your hotel offers airport pickup with expedited immigration, do it.
- We tried to take Uber from the airport, but we couldn't log on to the free wifi and although I had roaming signal, my connection was faulty. Also, I'm pretty sure I got scammed at the taxi counter. We weren't smart enough to look for it, but the price should be posted. And get a receipt with the price.
- Sunset walks along the beach are lovely. Although Nusa Dua faces east, the sky is still gorgeous if you walk south.
- Sunrises are spectacular, obviously.
- I thought the gym left a lot to be desired, but at least it was never crowded and they had foam roller.
- The pools close on the early end (7pm), so adjust your expectations.
- Again, the grounds are beautiful. There's ample opportunity for bird- (and bat) watching. Also, giant lizards in the ponds!
Taxi service from the counter should have been 160-200k.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
We had a wonderful stay at the Grand Hyatt Bali in November. Despite the resort being totally full with an Amway group from Korea, the resort was quiet and the service was excellent. The grounds are lush and beautiful and we loved sitting in the Regency club watching the wildlife--herons, lizards--wonderful. We think the regency club is one of the best in the Hyatt system- cocktails, evening snacks with fresh salads and enough to make a dinner, great breakfasts, etc. Our suite overlooking the pool was spacious and very quiet. We loved the Bali Hyatt and look forward to going back. ^^
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by wilma
We had a wonderful stay at the Grand Hyatt Bali in November. Despite the resort being totally full with an Amway group from Korea, the resort was quiet and the service was excellent. The grounds are lush and beautiful and we loved sitting in the Regency club watching the wildlife--herons, lizards--wonderful. We think the regency club is one of the best in the Hyatt system- cocktails, evening snacks with fresh salads and enough to make a dinner, great breakfasts, etc. Our suite overlooking the pool was spacious and very quiet. We loved the Bali Hyatt and look forward to going back. ^^
Some of the water bottles in our room were labeled:
AMWAY
Grand Hyatt Bali

Wonder what that was about....maybe leftover bottles from the Amway event?
(cause we had a few that had Amway...few that were just "Grand hyatt bali")
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Some of the water bottles in our room were labeled:
AMWAY
Grand Hyatt Bali

Wonder what that was about....maybe leftover bottles from the Amway event?
(cause we had a few that had Amway...few that were just "Grand hyatt bali")
The Amway group had most of the hotel rooms and had nightly events with disco lights and bands. We were concerned about staying there but the manager put us in a quiet section away from the Amway events. They had giant banners and floats around the resort with Amway stuff, had no idea Amway still existed.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Amway group had most of the hotel rooms and had nightly events with disco lights and bands. We were concerned about staying there but the manager put us in a quiet section away from the Amway events. They had giant banners and floats around the resort with Amway stuff, had no idea Amway still existed.
MLM stuff is pretty big in SE Asia. No Amway for me, though.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:35 pm

Glad they found you a quiet corner!

Yes, Amway is very much in existence (including the USA...but a different name)...

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
MLM stuff is pretty big in SE Asia. No Amway for me, though.
Totally true.

I guess we should now get back to our regular programming about the GH Bali....
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
How is the spa here?

Thinking about getting my GF a spa treatment while we're at the GH as a birthday present - I know that it's likely overpriced compared to places outside the walls of the GH but for anyone that has been, is it at least high quality or is it a complete waste of the money?.

Also any Diamond discount? I assume not just pricing out the various packages and wanting to take that into consideration
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:26 pm

I went with my girlfriend on 2 free nights from the chase Hyatt card and could not have been more disappointed. The InterContinental Jakarta and the Conrad Bali were both much nicer.

I told the hotel what flight we'd be on and that we would arrive at 6pm. Our flight was delayed so we got to the hotel a little after 7pm only to be told that our room wasn't ready. They gave us both a coupon for a free non-alcoholic drink. After about 30 minutes we were told our room was ready and taken to it. The paint was peeling off the ceiling and there were more than a dozen dead bugs on the walls. Our "King" bed was actually two twin beds pushed together.

The same card that got us the two nights also gave me platinum status but we weren't invited to the lounge or given a room upgrade.

The air conditioning was basically non-existent in the room, no doubt thanks to the half in gap under the door.

The water slide was broken for the duration of our stay.

Dinner at the "hibachi" restaurant was $70 each and super underwhelming. It did include lobster tail but the hibachi cook didn't do any fancy tricks (which I thought was the whole point of eating hibachi). He just made awkward small talk in broken English.

Because it's in Nusa Dua there is nothing but resorts around it so you can walk to eat off-site or anything.

The lobby and common ground were stunningly beautiful but everything else was quite bad. Had I paid the $300/night sticker price I would have felt robbed.

The Conrad, while having a slightly less gorgeous landscape, was a much nicer experience. I will never, ever go to the GH Bali again.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRobs
I went with my girlfriend on 2 free nights from the chase Hyatt card and could not have been more disappointed. The InterContinental Jakarta and the Conrad Bali were both much nicer.

I told the hotel what flight we'd be on and that we would arrive at 6pm. Our flight was delayed so we got to the hotel a little after 7pm only to be told that our room wasn't ready. They gave us both a coupon for a free non-alcoholic drink. After about 30 minutes we were told our room was ready and taken to it. The paint was peeling off the ceiling and there were more than a dozen dead bugs on the walls. Our "King" bed was actually two twin beds pushed together.

The same card that got us the two nights also gave me platinum status but we weren't invited to the lounge or given a room upgrade.

The air conditioning was basically non-existent in the room, no doubt thanks to the half in gap under the door.

Dinner at the "hibachi" restaurant was $70 each and super underwhelming. It did include lobster tail but the hibachi cook didn't do any fancy tricks (which I thought was the whole point of eating hibachi). He just made awkward small talk in broken English.

Because it's in Nusa Dua there is nothing but resorts around it so you can walk to eat off-site or anything.

The lobby and common ground were stunningly beautiful but everything else was quite bad. Had I paid the $300/night sticker price I would have felt robbed.

The Conrad, while having a slightly less gorgeous landscape, was a much nicer experience. I will never, ever go to the GH Bali again.
I didn't have your particular problems there. I find the property too large, and a bit bland.

You really need to be Diamond to get full advantage of this property. The club is pretty decent, and DSU upgrades are pretty good.

Not having your room ready by 7pm is certainly a big problem. I'd certainly complain for some points for your problems to a manager. I'd have used my free nights at a better policy.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:37 am

On my recent stay, there were also problems with the room we were assigned to, but all the issues were addressed very much to our satisfaction. Did you discuss your problems with the hotel?

Also, you don't get lounge access as a Platinum. The room upgrade is to a larger room or one on a higher floor - maybe that's what you got.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:46 am

Too bad about your stay. Unfortunately platinum status doesn't get you much, in the future use extra points with a paid stay at a Hyatt to get club access. The bali grand Hyatt club is one of the best so it's worth paying or using points to upgrade.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
Hello All, I will be visiting Bali for the first time in August. I am considering staying at the GH Bali to take advantage of points/annual Chase CC free nights. The reviews overall seem mixed. One question, how is the beach compared to the other Nusa Dua hotels (Laguna, Ritz, St Regis)? Is the beach private/are chairs provided/etc? I can see pictures of the beach area at the other hotels I mentioned but nothing on the GH website. I stayed at the GH in KL last year and it was great! Based on the above, I'm not expecting the GH Bali to be quite as modern but am still hoping it will be a nice experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.