Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Stayed here on a swing around Southeast Asia and thought I'd post some data points.

Booked lowest category room as a Diamond, was placed in Club village king facing a pond with a peekaboo ocean view. When I checked into the room, there was a plate and knife on the coffee table but no fruit. No fruit or other welcome gift ever came. Otherwise room was nice, if a bit dark in the corners. Toilet smelled like sewage constantly but I assumed it was a problem throughout the hotel so I didn't ask to change rooms. Nice bathtub with peaceful view of pond.

Pools and beach at the hotel are great. The cons of the hotel are that the club breakfast is terrible (only bread and eggs, no local dishes or bowls of fruit or anything light-- probably the worst/weirdest lounge breakfast I've had at a Hyatt), the restaurants are very expensive (which seems to be the case for all upscale hotels in Bali), and the service is mostly nonexistent.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Katlor
Stayed here on a swing around Southeast Asia and thought I'd post some data points.

Booked lowest category room as a Diamond, was placed in Club village king facing a pond with a peekaboo ocean view. When I checked into the room, there was a plate and knife on the coffee table but no fruit. No fruit or other welcome gift ever came. Otherwise room was nice, if a bit dark in the corners. Toilet smelled like sewage constantly but I assumed it was a problem throughout the hotel so I didn't ask to change rooms. Nice bathtub with peaceful view of pond.

Pools and beach at the hotel are great. The cons of the hotel are that the club breakfast is terrible (only bread and eggs, no local dishes or bowls of fruit or anything light-- probably the worst/weirdest lounge breakfast I've had at a Hyatt), the restaurants are very expensive (which seems to be the case for all upscale hotels in Bali), and the service is mostly nonexistent.
I never noticed any strong bathroom smell when I stayed there. I'd have brought up the missing welcome amenity.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by Katlor
The cons of the hotel are that the club breakfast is terrible (only bread and eggs, no local dishes or bowls of fruit or anything light
There are plenty of options other than "only bread and eggs"!

In the two fridges there are cold meats, cheese, yogurt, bircher muesli, small serves of mixed fruits. And in between the two fridges I am pretty sure there are breakfast cereals to choose from. We also found if you wanted something (like a plate of watermelon) you could ask for it and it would be provided no problem.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I never noticed any strong bathroom smell when I stayed there.
We had a DSU suite with sewage smell last year. Asked for a room change, and they happily moved us one of the larger suites, which smelled fine. I don't think it's a common problem; our other stays were fine, and I haven't read too many reports here.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Problems with Bali Hyatt land ownership

According to the Bali Update, there is a long running dispute about a big parcel of land that makes up the property from over 40 years ago. Possibly why no progress has been made.

Bali News: Bali, Indonesia, Bali Hyatt. PT Wynncor, Widodo Soekarno, Land Issues, Province of Bali
Click Image to Enlarge
(11/20/2016) Commission I of the Bali Provincial House of Representatives (DPRD-Bali) has resurrected a long-standing case and held hearings on Tuesday, November 15, 2016, to try to determine the current status of a 3.7 hectare plot of land owned by the Province that became part of the Sanur Hyatt Hotel that was built in 1971 by PT Wynncor Bali.

The most recent hearings held at the DPRD-Bali were unable to summon a representative the Bali Hyatt or the Bali office of the National Land Authority (BPN).

At the hearing, the lawmakers said the 3.7-hectare parcel of land owned by the Province and forming part of the hotel complex was in a “status quo” standing because a lawsuit over the land remains before the Indonesian Supreme Court. A special committee of the DPRD-Bali issued the “status quo” declaration in 2014.

Surprising those attending the hearing was the news that the operating permits for the hotel had been extended by the Municipality of Denpasar, citing as an excuse a recommendation from the Province.

The DPRD said they had less interest in an ongoing civil suit between PT Wynncor Bali and the estate of Widodo Soekarno before the Supreme Court and were more intent in securing control of the 3.7-hectare parcel of land and the Province’s entitlement to share’s in the Bali Hyatt Hotel in Sanur.

The original plan was for the land owned by the Provincial Government to be converted into shares in the hotel in 1972. It appears that the shares in the Hotel and any related dividends due to the Province in the ensuing 40 plus years have mysteriously gone to the side.

You can read the entire article, here.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:33 am

Sorry if this has been addressed before (I scrolled up a bit and didn't see any discussion, but didn't search exhaustively) -- what's the best way to get from DPS to the Grand Hyatt? Is just picking up a taxi at the airport fairly priced and safe? We're arriving mid-afternoon, and I'd hate to overpay for a hotel car to pick us up, but do it sometimes if I'm nervous a taxi won't go smoothly. Will they take USD, or do I need to arrive with local currency? Will they know where the hotel is, or do I need to have directions? Flat fee to Nusa Dua, or is it metered (such that i need to pay attention to route)? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Any general tips for a family at the Grand Hyatt on a first trip to Bali is appreciated too!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Sorry if this has been addressed before (I scrolled up a bit and didn't see any discussion, but didn't search exhaustively) -- what's the best way to get from DPS to the Grand Hyatt? Is just picking up a taxi at the airport fairly priced and safe? We're arriving mid-afternoon, and I'd hate to overpay for a hotel car to pick us up, but do it sometimes if I'm nervous a taxi won't go smoothly. Will they take USD, or do I need to arrive with local currency? Will they know where the hotel is, or do I need to have directions? Flat fee to Nusa Dua, or is it metered (such that i need to pay attention to route)? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Any general tips for a family at the Grand Hyatt on a first trip to Bali is appreciated too!
Good timing!

I'll be there starting Dec 15 and I just did a quick Google search and came up with this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...formation.html

Nutshell: official taxi desk towards the left when you leave the arrivals hall, pay in advance a flat rate - which, if I am reading it correctly, is either 150,000 or 185,000 (according to my math, that's around $14USD max).

I plan to go this route. Safe travels.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Good timing!

I'll be there starting Dec 15 and I just did a quick Google search and came up with this:

Nutshell: official taxi desk towards the left when you leave the arrivals hall, pay in advance a flat rate - which, if I am reading it correctly, is either 150,000 or 185,000 (according to my math, that's around $14USD max).

Perfect, thanks Steve!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:37 pm

I have an upcoming stay and I was wondering how it is eating in the club since it is outdoors. How is the bug/mosquito situation (if there is any)? Flies flying around the food? Any zika reports? I read there is Zika in Bali, but I'm not too sure how bad it is there. Thank you!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by ang2383
I have an upcoming stay and I was wondering how it is eating in the club since it is outdoors. How is the bug/mosquito situation (if there is any)? Flies flying around the food? Any zika reports? I read there is Zika in Bali, but I'm not too sure how bad it is there. Thank you!
I was there in October and didn't notice any insect problems when in the club lounge. I can be pretty certain there was not a mosquito situation because (i) they love me and (ii) when they bite me I really react to it...and (iii) I didn't get any noticeable insect bites in 6 days.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ang2383
I got stung by a large bee of some sort in the lounge in late 2014. It was in the evening. My hand got bitten and really got swollen. I'd never had problems before then.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
Good timing!

I find the airport taxi's to be a bit of a ripoff. Many cars are quite old and in not such good shape. Trunks are not too large, so if you've got much luggage, you'll be in trouble.

I usually use Uber, although most drivers won't pick up in front of the main terminal. Taxi drivers aren't so happy with Uber driver, so keep that in mind.

I believe the hotel uses Golden Bird service, which is bookable at the airport, or through the hotel. These are SUV type vehicles, which have a lot more space, and have pretty professional drivers. About $18-20 if booked at the airport. I think they take credit cards. Not sure what the hotel charges for it.

Be careful changing money at the airport. The current good rate is 13,200-13,350 IDR per USD. Brand new $50-100 USD bills get the best rate. Some places refuse old bills, folded, tears or written or marked upon.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I find the airport taxi's to be a bit of a ripoff. Many cars are quite old and in not such good shape. Trunks are not too large, so if you've got much luggage, you'll be in trouble.

I usually use Uber, although most drivers won't pick up in front of the main terminal. Taxi drivers aren't so happy with Uber driver, so keep that in mind.

I believe the hotel uses Golden Bird service, which is bookable at the airport, or through the hotel. These are SUV type vehicles, which have a lot more space, and have pretty professional drivers. About $18-20 if booked at the airport. I think they take credit cards. Not sure what the hotel charges for it.

Be careful changing money at the airport. The current good rate is 13,200-13,350 IDR per USD. Brand new $50-100 USD bills get the best rate. Some places refuse old bills, folded, tears or written or marked upon.
Thanks, very helpful! I'll hope to be able to get a Golden Bird SUV for around $20 at the airport. Using a credit card seems ideal if that works. Will I be able to get IDR from an ATM once in Bali (either at the airport or somewhere near the Hyatt), or should I get some in the US to bring with me? Thanks again for the helpful input!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbw5t
Thanks, very helpful! I'll hope to be able to get a Golden Bird SUV for around $20 at the airport. Using a credit card seems ideal if that works. Will I be able to get IDR from an ATM once in Bali (either at the airport or somewhere near the Hyatt), or should I get some in the US to bring with me? Thanks again for the helpful input!
Yes, there are ATM's before you come out of the terminal. Check the rate from the hotel, too, as you'd be able to get it put on your bill.

5-6 years ago, the rate was pretty affordable from the hotel ($12-14?).

Uber runs $6-8 plus toll fee, if you take the toll bridge.

The Golden Bird site, offers a 15% discount for prebooking, until Dec 31.

http://www.bluebirdgroup.com/promo/9...reservation-15
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
When I was there in October I tried to use Uber to get from the airport to the hotel and it was a very weird situation. I typed in the information in the Uber app on my phone, and the app claimed that the car was coming, however the car never arrived at the "DropOff Zone" which is where the Uber app tells you to wait for the car. I watched the car move around the airport area for a while and then stall in various places. I started to wonder if it was some kind of strike situation (like someone was purposefully refusing to pick me up). Various taxi drivers near where I was standing (there are lots of tout taxi drivers trying to pick up fares) started to speak to me in threatening ways when they saw I was waiting for Uber. Eventually the situation got so uncomfortable that I walked to the Novotel hotel (it is in the airport) and had them call me a taxi to the Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.