Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Smile

Good question. The short answer is "Yesss!" ^^

Emphasis because I tested it, unintentionally, when I, um, ricocheted between the, then, two Hyatts last fall (earning FFNs at $59-$79/nt.). The surviving one ( ...because I had nothing to do with it) upgraded me everytime. The Cancun Caribe interpreted things the opposite. They upgraded me one level, their interpretation, which was to their "Gold Passport Building", each time except once. I know that their RC was virtually empty, as was the hotel, at the time (per conversation with other staff). In the event, I protested each time, but backed off because I remembered the same happening years ago at the Hyatt Maui. My fourth night/stay, they relented.

Anyway, when I ended up at Customer Care, when I got home, I was told that the Cancun Caribe had it flat wrong. (The reason for this digression, if not for their leaving Hyatt. )

Now, interestingly, the Cancun Caribe posted the Diamond 1,000 for each stay, plus the GP1, but the HR Cancun said that the Diamond 1,000 is not something we get at international Hyatts (which I knew, but it's always worth a try...)

One caveat: They, the HR Cancun, thought THEY were being sold when I was there, then that turned around suddenly. So I don't know if they have the same management, or owner or franchisee or however that works.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
beach at HR?

Considering taking advantage of a HR deal I just found ($89/nt inc taxes ocean view)
A sandy beach is real important to my wife. Knowing most beachfronts have been diminished, how is the beach at this property these days?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
The Hyatt Regency doesn't have its own beach. You get a wrist band (or not) and go to the beach at the resort right next door. It's no more of a walk than from most resort hotels to their beaches. (A year ago, the HR was to become part of that resort; then it wasn't.) If you feel silly wearing a wrist band, know that most people you see in Cancun will be wearing wristbands from their all-in resorts. Or, like I say, don't get a wristband. I digress.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Any views on the restaurants?

I was thinking of taking advantage of the $150 Food offer.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
Anybody recently stayed here?
do you get club room as lowsy platinum?
i am trying to take advantage of FFN & Del5k offer here.
Any suggestion?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pclee
Anybody recently stayed here?
do you get club room as lowsy platinum?
i am trying to take advantage of FFN & Del5k offer here.
Any suggestion?
They dropped out of the Hyatt partnership in January. You need green (money) to stay there now. I can't tell from the hotel's website whether club rooms are available at all.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
Originally Posted by nsx
They dropped out of the Hyatt partnership in January. You need green (money) to stay there now. I can't tell from the hotel's website whether club rooms are available at all.
Caribe is only out. They still have Hyatt Regency Cancun.
Do you have any idea with this hotel?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pclee
Caribe is only out. They still have Hyatt Regency Cancun.
Do you have any idea with this hotel?
Send a PM to Firewind. I believe he stayed there within the past year or so.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
What can a Diamond expect at this property? Upgrade? Regency club? Breakfast? free internet? none/some of the above ?

Are there decent pools?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:16 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Renard
What can a Diamond expect at this property? Upgrade? Regency club? Breakfast? free internet? none/some of the above ?
Per Hyatt's T&Cs a Diamond should get an upgrade to (or access to) Regency Club (however, if the hotel isn't able to place you on the RC level, they can refuse access - since they are an International / Resort property - if this happens you are entitled to 2500 points in compensation for no access to Club). Breakfast is provided in the Club (if you do not get club access, you'll get Breakfast in the restaurant). Free internet is also a benefit of Hyatt Plat & Diamonds. Unless the property is out of compliance with Hyatt's T&Cs, you'll get these.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:43 am

I've waited to respond because there's a good chance things are different since I stayed there at the end of September, last year. Likely very different in peak season, so someone might offer a recent update. The circumstances were unique then. It was the natural low point in the year, but also Hyatt had announced its intention to part with the property at the end of September. They had a pile of Hyatt branded stuff of all sorts in the lobby. I was told that I had one of a total of four rooms - three on the RC floor - occupied in the hotel my last night there. I would have been the last person to check out of it as a Hyatt, had that happened. (!)

That said as backstory... As a Diamond, I had rooms on the top story - a very high floor - with fantastic views. One direction is the hotel strip on Bl. Kukulkan; one direction is a dolphin pool at the resort next door, the gazebo on the point where wedding after wedding took place, and Isla de las Mujeres, way off; and one direction is the cul de sac, bay and 'old town" Cancun, also far off. The latter is the best, IMO. All rooms have balconies.

The lounge was open (for only three rooms of us). Breakfast was sliced tropical fruit, rolls, pastries, cereal, a variety of cold cuts and cheeses. A most attentive, but not intrusive, bi-lingual host. Evening hors d'oeuvre were celery, carrots and dip, and a hot empanada-type hor d'oeuvre at all times. Again, a most attentive host. At all times (mid-day, too) beer and wine were complimentary. Same for spirits in the evening. I don't know about the restaurants, except to say that everything was fully staffed for just us. I went down the street. That would be different with the DEL5K or DELISH.

Now, the lesser things re the HR Cancun: You might get a room where the air conditioning works but isn't adequate. I got such on two different stays, so asked for someone to check it, was told there was nothing they could do, thought that that might be the norm, so I kept it the first time. I appreciated that the room floors are marble, so no musty smell. Otherwise, the a/c worked just fine. You will get very hot elevators.

I miss the Cancun Caribe for its facility, but the staff at the HR Cancun were among the best (despite the fate they thought was theirs).

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 30, 2009 at 10:50 am
Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hyatt
Regency Club in Cancun

I booked a reservation on Hyatt.com for next week at the Hyatt Cancun, when I made the reservation hyatt.com said the regency club would be closed until 10/31 for remodelling. Can anyone provide an update on the remodeled club ?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by LL4L
I booked a reservation on Hyatt.com for next week at the Hyatt Cancun, when I made the reservation hyatt.com said the regency club would be closed until 10/31 for remodelling. Can anyone provide an update on the remodeled club ?
Thinking about taking the family for a quick weekend Jan 7-10...can anyone confirm if Diamonds get club access?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Thinking about taking the family for a quick weekend Jan 7-10...can anyone confirm if Diamonds get club access?
I did when I was there last week (as a diamond) . A very nice lounge too with good food and a good staff. It is a little small though.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:03 pm

Some general observations....

I really enjoyed the hotel and hope to go back again someday. The staff was very helpful and professional--just great. The hotel is nice. It was not overly busy. It was easy to get a place by the pool, etc.

I used a diamond upgrade to a suite. It was pretty much two rooms adjoined. Nice but nothing outrageous. The flatscreens in the room are a bit tiny compared to what one finds in most Hyatts. I am pretty sure the mattress was NOT the Hyatt mattress. The toiletries were not the standard NA hyatt shampoo etc...now for many this would be a plus

The restaurants were good in my opinion and not outrageously priced (most main plates were 12-21 USD) when one considers it is a resort--add to that DEL5K and well it is great.

The only thing that I can think of it that the are currently (Thanksgiving 09) working on the beach right behind the hotel... it should be done pretty soon but if this is a big issue you might want to call and find out more.

The lounge is nice...excellent service and good food...free drink--including adult beverages. The lounge is definitely just continental breakfast and appetizers though...it is certainly not a dinner replacement for most. It was 'just right' for breakfast though. This lounge is a bit tiny though.

I also liked the fact that the one could walk to various places from the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.