Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 2:50 pm

Location: Vienna, VA - VS Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I just came back from the Hyatt Cancun Caribe & Villas on a FFN & points. I thought that the resort was magnificent. The pool was great, the grounds were great and the atmosphere was wonderful -- even though it was spring break. No college kids here. As a diamond they upgraded me to a villa, which was nice but could have been better - but I didn't go to Cancun to sit in my room. If you want a resort that looks good, has great views, and the service is excellent choose the Caribe.

I also stayed for one night at the Omni Cancun and that was a newer hotel, but MTV was filming in the hotel so too many college kids. The rooms at the Omni were better than the villa in the Hyatt but as I said I wasn't there for the room. The Regency Club is basic but it caters for most of what you will need. While you are there try The Palm restaurant (good American brand) as it is cheaper than in the U.S. - much cheaper!
Old Mar 16, 2004, 9:00 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Does the Caribe charge a daily resort fee?

------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Mar 20, 2004, 1:08 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TMOTEE:
Stayed at the Caribe a couple of years ago for 2 nights then fled as fast as possible to the Ritz. Hotel is very worn out and has a lot of the college crowd. Limbo contests at the pool etc. Had a villa for $300/night and it was large but not kept very clean. The final straw was on the third morning waking up to see cockroaches crawling across the floor. Packed up and left immediately for the Ritz down the street. Had a great time there for less money.</font>
Your comments mirror my experience. I booked a five night stay and checked out after the first night, also moved to the Ritz. My room was dirty and well in need of a major refurbishment.

Even my local taxi driver concurred that the Hyatts were well down the totem pole in terms of Cancun quality standards, being amongst the first properties developed and having never been renovated.

I'm surprised to see the favorable comments made by other posters here...

Old Mar 20, 2004, 5:39 am

Did they charge a resort fee when you stayed?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HKG_Flyer1:
Your comments mirror my experience. I booked a five night stay and checked out after the first night, also moved to the Ritz. My room was dirty and well in need of a major refurbishment.

Even my local taxi driver concurred that the Hyatts were well down the totem pole in terms of Cancun quality standards, being amongst the first properties developed and having never been renovated.

I'm surprised to see the favorable comments made by other posters here...

</font>
------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)

[This message has been edited by MileageAddict (edited Mar 20, 2004).]
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileageAddict:
Did they charge a resort fee when you stayed?</font>
I don't recall, and I've thrown away my receipt. Attempting a booking via the Hyatt website, it appears that they do not levy one.

Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:22 pm

Location: Vienna, VA - VS Silver, Hilton Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Diamond
NO Resort Fee

There is no resort fee if you are using your miles to stay, not sure if there is a charge if you pay cash.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:34 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
Cancun Caribe RC Suite - been there recently?

I just booked a week at the Cancun Caribe - RC Suite room. I am looking for some newer reports than what showed on my FT search. I have stayed there before but wondered if there have been any renovations recently. Does the RC still offer a nice breakfast and happy hour as they did a few years ago? Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:28 pm

Hyatt Regency Caribe - Cancun

Originally Posted by Humaniod
I just booked a week at the Cancun Caribe - RC Suite room. I am looking for some newer reports than what showed on my FT search. I have stayed there before but wondered if there have been any renovations recently. Does the RC still offer a nice breakfast and happy hour as they did a few years ago? Thanks.
I was there less than 24 hours ago...is that fresh enough for ya?

The hotel has recently completed some renovations but the villas are very much starting to show their age. They leak when it rains, the A/C units are weak, the hot water is never hot enough and there is a general musty smell. There are some newer villas on the north side of the property that are much nicer but tend to be difficult to secure as an upgrade. However, ask enough and you might get lucky.

The Regency Club hut is still one of the best things done at this facility. Jorge is one of the attendants of the Regency Club and is the most attentive and nicest guy you'll ever meet at this Hyatt. Get to know him and he'll treat you like royalty.

Breakfast is the same thing everyday but always plentiful. Fresh fruits, pastries, cold cereal, granola, fresh squeezed juices, toast breakfast meats and cheeses. Service starts at 7am.

Evening appetizers consists of salsa and chips, fresh guacemole, meats and cheeses, finger sandwiches of great variety and a hot dish; usually mozarella cheese sticks, chicken wings, tuna puff pastires, baked fish, chicken fingers. Open bar is still offered. Tip Jorge and you'll get some mighty stiff drinks, indeed! His partners Elizabeth and Gustavino and also very nice. Service starts at 6pm.

Sorry to say but other than the beach, Blue Bayou Restaurant and Regency Club, this facility does not deserve or live up to the Hyatt brand. It is not actually a Hyatt as it is own by Royal Holiday which lives for promoting their timeshare business. If you opt to take the timeshare tour (we did not) it will last about 2-3 hours and you will receive a $150 gift certificate good at the Blue Bayou Restaurant. There are no activities at this hotel. No fitness center, no children's programs and the rest of the staff behaves as if they barely tolerate you. After the sun sets, you will not see another guest walking the grounds. The bar remains completly empty and the place feels absolutely empty even though they claimed to be at 100% occupancy last week.

Some minor annoyances include the loud playing of the same insipid CD of Mexican pop music at the pool area over and over. Hey, I want peace and quiet and will use a Walkman or MP3 player if I want music! Also, there is about 25 peacocks that reside at this resort. Beautiful to look at but watch where you step as they crap everywhere! The staff is pretty good about cleaning up after them but you will still see people cursing up a bluestreak when they step barefoot into a pile.

The beach is as perfect as it gets...amazing sand as silky as refined sugar, perfectly clear skies, warm breeze and crystal clear water.

If you just plan to relax on the beach or head out of Cancun for day activities, you'll be satisfied with your stay. If you plan to simply stay at the resort for your entire stay, you'll regret it.

Last edited by MileageAddict; Dec 25, 2004 at 12:32 pm
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt Regency Cancun

Anybody has stayed in Hyatt Regency Cancun ? Do they have a Regency Club ?

Which one is an older property - Hyatt Regency Cancun or Hyatt Cancun Caribe ?

I recalled years ago there was only one Hyatt in Cancun.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Stayed at both properties back in 09/04, I tend to like the HR more than the Caribe. Both hotels have RC, but the upgrades to RC is harder at the Caribe, now that the international property upgrade rule has changed. I found the HR staff friendlier than the Caribe, and at the HR I was upgraded without having to ask. Amenity was much nicer than the Caribe.....at HR I got a HUGE fruit bowl and full bottles of wine (you have other choices too), but the Caribe I got........3 petty apples (green)......

Pool and beach, undeniably are nicer at Caribe, but both hotels offer guests ACCESS to each other's facilities, and you can cross charge too!!! The HR is an older property, but the decor at both are about the same, unless u get the RC villas at the Caribe.

I recommend staying at HR and then go to Caribe for your tanning activities, there's also free shuttle between hotels......one more caveat, the Caribe is right opposite to a night club, so it can get noisy, while the HR is in the middle of the smack of everything....shops, clubs, and restaurants, but since it is a high rise you have a magnificent view and "protected" surroundings....

Enjoy!
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the info !

We have been in Cancun twice in the past when we lived in Houston, but never stayed in a Hyatt. (at Marriot and Melia Cancun respectively - much further down south on the hotel zone).

How was the RC at the HR ? Do they operate the similar way like the resorts here, i.e. Breakfast, snack, evening o'deuvre/drinks, late evening cordial/dessert ?

I plan to use points and HR is a Cat 1. Looks like excellent value.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
I've stayed at both properties as well (several years ago, I should add). Both had nice RC but the HR IS a better VALUE! The views are great and the club was very nice. Back then the hotel coould have used a renovation, while the Caribe was nicer (villa room very nice) and clubwas almost empty.
I felt more welcomed at the HR too! FWIW!!!!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
I stayed at the Caribe 3 years ago. Was planned as a 6 night stay but after 3 couldn't take anymore and left for the Ritz Carlton. Stayed in the villas at a room rate of about $300/night and it was a terrible room. Cleanliness was a problem and the final insult was the giant cockroach that invaded the room on the third day. As soon as it was killed we started packing. Also the pool area while nice had too many college age kids around for my taste.

Moved to the Ritz for the rest of the vacation and had a wonderful time at $50 less a night.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Stayed at the Hyatt Cancun last year. I have to say its an older hotel with lots of noise. I was not impressed with much including the pool area. The hotel is at the end of the strip with near by shops and places to eat. If your trying to sleep forget about it. They have a band in the lobby area till 1am on weekends. I was on the top floor and still could hear the music like it was next store. The problem is the hotel is like a funnel and the noise goes everywhere. Cancun has better hotels then this Hyatt. I have been very happy with the Hilton and JW Marriott cancun. I would never stay at the Hyatt cancun again.

Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by TMOTEE
I stayed at the Caribe 3 years ago. Was planned as a 6 night stay but after 3 couldn't take anymore and left for the Ritz Carlton.
You too, huh. I only lasted a night... also moved to Ritz Carlton. By normal Hyatt standards, I thought the place really sucked for a whole variety of reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.