Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Cancun Caribe (No Longer Hyatt) JOINT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jtalstad
Moderator:This thread would be much better without the obsolete references to the Caribe and poor service which do not apply at all to the current staff at the Hyatt Regency Cancun. @:-) How about splitting the thread?

I'm also happy to share a high recommendation for the Hyatt Cancun. The "Hyatt doubles your credit" promotion has been extended a third time and now will extend through the end of 2011. My wife and I very much enjoyed watching the sunset each evening in the RC the first week of June 2011 with John and Jose providing most excellent service. For breakfast however we enjoyed the full breakfast buffet downstairs in "O":

2 Desy Regency Com 220.00
2 Cappuccino 0.00
2 Mimosa 0.00

Total $220.00 pesos, or $19.47 USD. Half price via the "Hyatt doubles your credit" pre-purchased meals credit and that became about five bucks each for the breakfast supplement over the free RC buffet (excluding tips). With unlimited everything, including an omelet station, lattes, cappuccinos, espressos, smoothies, champagne, etc., well, it was great!

When the hotel converts to all-inclusive will it still seem like such a deal? Will the quality suffer? Who knows... but it's great right now!
I'm scheduled to stay at this property in February 2012--how do you find out about this promotion? Perhaps it will be extended again. Also what is 2 Desy Regency com 220.00? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:27 am

"desayuno" in Spanish

Originally Posted by derby44
I'm scheduled to stay at this property in February 2012--how do you find out about this promotion? Perhaps it will be extended again. Also what is 2 Desy Regency com 220.00? Thanks for your help.
There are signs at various locations around the hotel and they hand you a card on check-in as well. The card shows an expiration of April 2011 but the T&C's' at the Hyatt site confirm the promotion is extended to the end of the year: http://www.cancun.regency.hyatt.com/...ewsId=39806458. They are testing the waters with the promotion, probably leading to all-inclusive stays. They are working to figure out how to do it since as an all-inclusive they'll need additional facilities. After Wilma the hotel was shut down for over a year and at the time the owners contemplated leveling the property and starting over (so I was told). They decided to repair the property. The staff my wife and I met at the end of May, beginning of June were all friendly and happy, joking "another shot of Tequila, senor?", offering a coffee refill during breakfast.

If you have Regency Club access you can enjoy a light breakfast in the Club room on the 14th floor or the full buffet at a discounted price in the restaurant called "O" (Oh) on the main level.

2 Desy Regency com 220.00 on the receipt indicates two people for breakfast ("desayuno" in Spanish) at the reduced Regency Club price of 110 pesos each. You can estimate about 11.3 Mexican Pesos per U.S. Dollar so for both of us that's less than $20 USD. Half price that is less than $10. Tips however are not included in the half off promotion so we had two final bills, one showing meals and the adjustment for the pre-paid amount and a second folio showing the daily room charges and tips.

My impression was that the promotion will extend for the next couple years until the hotel offers an all-inclusive rate package.

Have fun!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:40 am

Cancun Stay

I stayed at the Cancun Hyatt on May 31 to june 2nd for my honeymoon. I used a suite upgrade for 6000 points. I am a platinum member.

My initial thoughts are this is a great looking hotel from the outside and its going to be great. The hyatt website pictures don't do it justice for the views. First day we check in and great service bringing your bags in and everything. Very helpful staff! If you are looking for a big fun resort this is not the place.

I got the 947 sq foot suite from points which no where looked like 947 sq feet. It was two rooms which the bed was removed from one and a couch was put it in its spot. Complete waste of points and money in my opinion. All you really need is club access at this hotel to get the water bottles and free breakfast.

Day 2 there was lots of banging and hammering going on. I called the front desk and told them twice and nothing happened at least for 2 hours. Then since I got free wifi, I emailed the hyatt fans email address on facebook and they immediately had a manager sent up to my room and had them stop banging.

The rooms are so so, you can see the shotty workmanship in the hotel and probably wouldn't recommend this hotel in cancun. You could see the bad remodeling of the shower which the tiles were a little messed up.

The 2nd part of my honeymoon was at the Grand Coral Fiesta Americana. What an AMAZING hotel. Every room is a suite and all ocean facing. I pricelined it for 110 dollars a night, which was cheaper than my hyatt stay because they said I had to book the 125 dollars a night rate to use my upgrade points.

I understand I am all over the place in my review but I thought my overall stay at Hyatt Cancun wasn't as good as it should have been. If anyone wants some tips or has specific questions let me know.

I did ask for at least my hyatt upgrade points back but no response.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: Diamond Hyatt; Platinum DL, AA, SPG; Gold UA
Hyatt Cancun Diamond Benefits?

I'm a new diamond member.

Staying at the Hyatt Cancun, confirmed using a suite upgrade with RC access.

Plan on using the "double your credit" for drinks/meals/etc over four days.

Any idea what other benefits I can get from Diamond at this property, that I haven't already used for the reservation?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Has anyone had any luck getting any suites above the regency suite.
I just applied a suite upgrade and got that but after looking at the website I noticed they have 2 much larger suites showing availability for my dates.

Has anyone ever called back and requested a different suite?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:57 pm

If it helps, I just returned from the Hyatt in Cancun; if I remember correctly, they have seven Regency Suites, and exactly one each of the (much) larger Eternity and Infinity suites. I'm not sure of your chances at an upgrade, but the Regency Suite was very comfortable in itself - be sure to ask for one with a view looking south, if available!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by jsw1773
...be sure to ask for <<anything>> (one) with a view looking south, if available!
+1

Eastward, you get the nightclub music at night. Northward, the sea. Westward, the wedding gazebo at the point, dolphins in the next door hotel's pool Uthough pretty far away) and Isla Mujeres way off in the distance. Southward, interesting view of the cove and other hotels, and sunset if the weather is supportive (which you'll see form the lounge, anyway).
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
South it is. I will email this week and go for one of the big suites and if not that will try to confirm a south view.
I know this may be a stupid question, but how do u find a hotels email address.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:44 pm

Thanks for the help.
I emailed the concierge and recieved a reply the next day.
I was informed that the Eternity and Infinity suites are 500 or 600 extra per night depending on which one. He told me they are never given for diamond upgrade certs.

Oh well it was worth a try.
I emailed him again tonight to request the south view.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
[QUOTE=stallion114;17026614]...Oh well it was worth a try...
QUOTE]

^ Like Wayne Gretsky said...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:37 am

Emailed about the South View room and was told whatever is available at check in.
Pretty weak IMO.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'm Hyatt Plat, and booked one night in Cancun on a free night award in early Oct. Since I'm not Diamond, I'm not looking for any great upgrade-- just a nice room with possibly water view. TripAdvisor has some pretty nasty comments regarding rooms, decor, noise etc. As I've learned to take those reviews with a grain of salt-- what do some of FT'er think about the 'average rooms'.

PS-- My other option was the LM or Westin (where I'm Platinum), but there seems to be lots of construction noise around both properties, so I opted for the Hyatt.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by mauld
I'm Hyatt Plat, and booked one night in Cancun on a free night award in early Oct. Since I'm not Diamond, I'm not looking for any great upgrade-- just a nice room with possibly water view. TripAdvisor has some pretty nasty comments regarding rooms, decor, noise etc. As I've learned to take those reviews with a grain of salt-- what do some of FT'er think about the 'average rooms'.

PS-- My other option was the LM or Westin (where I'm Platinum), but there seems to be lots of construction noise around both properties, so I opted for the Hyatt.
If you plan to go into town to eat/drink - Hyatt has a much much better location. It does have an odd smell throughout the hotel and is definitely not a luxury property. The entire place is pretty bare bones, but the restaurant on site is pretty good, all things considered.

The LM is a few steps up in terms of quality of service and physical plant, but there is the nearby construction. However, recent reviews on FT still seem to be positive.

If it were me I would probably head to the LM - they treat Platinums pretty well there (free breakfast and snacks / drinks in the evening).
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Question for those who work the system much better than I seem to....
Points or $? We are diamond and have 4 upgrades that will expire in Feb. With the rates being so low $105-125 would we be better to pay for the rooms and use the upgrades or do the 20K points/night? Or will they allow points stay + upgrade? Sorry to ask such a novice question but this is the first year we've done Hyatt so I'm not trained yet.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:28 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Question for those who work the system much better than I seem to....
Points or $? We are diamond and have 4 upgrades that will expire in Feb. With the rates being so low $105-125 would we be better to pay for the rooms and use the upgrades or do the 20K points/night? Or will they allow points stay + upgrade? Sorry to ask such a novice question but this is the first year we've done Hyatt so I'm not trained yet.
Unless you are pressed for cash or trying to liquidate your points - definitely pay the cash rate and try to upgrade with the Diamond Suite Upgrade - 20k points is "worth" $200-300 (some may say even $400 - most would value a Hyatt point at 1.5 cents a point). And no - you are not allowed to upgrade a points stay (at least you can't confirm it in advance).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.