Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency San Antonio Riverwalk REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:19 pm
K79

Originally Posted by Firewind
Daytime: Hot hot hot.

Night time: Really neat, IMO.
Thanks. I'll make sure to keep hydrated and put lots of spf during the day and look for "hot spots" at night.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:37 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by K79
How is San Antonio (Riverwalk area) in late August?
The Riverwalk is several yards below street level. During the hot summer months it seems 15 to 20 degrees hotter down on the Riverwalk than up on the street. Of course Non-Texans wilt and even melt at those temperatures. Best strategy: stay indoors during the day; come out and party at night.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:02 pm
K79

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
The Riverwalk is several yards below street level. During the hot summer months it seems 15 to 20 degrees hotter down on the Riverwalk than up on the street. Of course Non-Texans wilt and even melt at those temperatures. Best strategy: stay indoors during the day; come out and party at night.
Thanks. Among other things, I will keep ice packs handy, just in case. How about entertainment? Do people (tourists, non-Texans) go out at all during the day?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:01 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by K79
Thanks. Among other things, I will keep ice packs handy, just in case. How about entertainment? Do people (tourists, non-Texans) go out at all during the day?
Just google "things to do in San Antonio". It's the 7th largest city in the USA; there are hundreds of things to do.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

checked in Friday afternoon for a weekend stay. I haven't stayed at a Regency Atrium hotel in forever and was slightly apprehensive that it would feel really dated. They did a great job updating the communal areas and I was pleasantly surprised by the whole stay. If you are here purely for pleasure the location is perfect if you like being in the hustle and bustle. The Hyatt Regency is at the most populated part of the Riverwalk which was great.

We took the boat ride ($8.25 for a narrated tour) and saw the location of all the hotels so we got a pretty good lay of the land and I wouldn't hesitate to book here again. It is right across the street from the Alamo and as a platinum I was upgraded to an Alamo view king. The room was very spacious though the bathroom really isn't big enough for two people to get in there at the same time.

Didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants as there were too many choices in the area and we were only there 2 nights.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:49 am
K79

Originally Posted by prncess674
checked in Friday afternoon for a weekend stay. I haven't stayed at a Regency Atrium hotel in forever and was slightly apprehensive that it would feel really dated. They did a great job updating the communal areas and I was pleasantly surprised by the whole stay. If you are here purely for pleasure the location is perfect if you like being in the hustle and bustle. The Hyatt Regency is at the most populated part of the Riverwalk which was great.

We took the boat ride ($8.25 for a narrated tour) and saw the location of all the hotels so we got a pretty good lay of the land and I wouldn't hesitate to book here again. It is right across the street from the Alamo and as a platinum I was upgraded to an Alamo view king. The room was very spacious though the bathroom really isn't big enough for two people to get in there at the same time.

Didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants as there were too many choices in the area and we were only there 2 nights.
Any particular family restaurant outside the hotel that you may recommend?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by K79
Any particular family restaurant outside the hotel that you may recommend?
Most of the food on the riverwalk is pretty mediocre so if you go in with that in mind then you will be fine. Friday night we stopped at La Paloma around 8ish and we never actually ordered dinner. We ended up just eating chips, guacamole and salsa. We were worried that we were going to be rushed out and we had a perfect table right on the river so when she came to take our dinner order, we said we were just going to order the guac and drink. Not wanting the waitress to think we were cheap, I handed her a $20 bill and she became our new best friend as she continued to bring us cocktails and never rushed us.

Saturday we headed to Casa Rio which is supposedly famous. That night we did order dinner and again we had a great table so I give the food a break for not being great. The average entree price was under $10 so hard to complain too much.

I am sure that there is much better food in San Antonio, but it doesn't come with riverside tables.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Does the County Line barbecue still have a place on the Riverwalk? When there was, I thought it wasn't quite as good as the original San Antonio County Line, but still very good barbecue. County Lines claim "18 hours", but the original one came closer to that in my view.

Yup:
http://www.countyline.com/CountyLineRiverWalk.html

Last edited by Firewind; Jun 24, 2013 at 9:08 am Reason: mmmmm...
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:31 am
K79

Originally Posted by prncess674
Most of the food on the riverwalk is pretty mediocre so if you go in with that in mind then you will be fine. Friday night we stopped at La Paloma around 8ish and we never actually ordered dinner. We ended up just eating chips, guacamole and salsa. We were worried that we were going to be rushed out and we had a perfect table right on the river so when she came to take our dinner order, we said we were just going to order the guac and drink. Not wanting the waitress to think we were cheap, I handed her a $20 bill and she became our new best friend as she continued to bring us cocktails and never rushed us.

Saturday we headed to Casa Rio which is supposedly famous. That night we did order dinner and again we had a great table so I give the food a break for not being great. The average entree price was under $10 so hard to complain too much.

I am sure that there is much better food in San Antonio, but it doesn't come with riverside tables.
Thanks! I guess in order to avoid disappointments, I wont have any expectations about good food on the river walk/front.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by K79
Thanks! I guess in order to avoid disappointments, I wont have any expectations about good food on the river walk/front.
I only had one Riverwalk meal, which was at the Zuni (no relation to the one in S.F.) and it was forgettable. The one thing I do remember is that it came with a "free chef's choice appetizer" that was some routine chips and salsa... same thing my entree came with, LOL.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:19 pm

Nowadays I find that urbanspoon.com is a much better resource than asking for personal recommendations. Urbanspoon collates the personal recommendations of everyone.

That said, I'm a local and we enjoy Waxy O'Conners, Iron Cactus (good food, abysmal service) and Q on the River (in the Hyatt Regency). Schilo's Deli just off the Riverwalk is outstanding.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
San Antonio Hyatt Regency Stay Report - 9/19-9/21:

Location: A great location for all San Antonio sights. The Alamo is literally a block away and the hotel has an entrance right onto the Riverwalk. It's in a bit of a touristy area, but then again a lot of downtown San Antonio is a touristy area. Thankfully soundproofing is good and the crowds aren't an issue.

Hotel: Older but quite nice. There's a large central atrium and lobby which is very inviting. Breakfast is served in a restaurant just off the lobby and there's also a bar that overlooks the atrium. In the basement are several shops and just outside on the Riverwalk are a bunch of restaurants and bars. There's a pool and gym up on the 11th floor that I didn't see. Do note that some of the rooms are a really long walk from the elevator as the hallway doesn't run as a full square.

Check In: This was my first stay since I obtained Hyatt Platinum and the agent acted like it was a big deal which was nice. She asked if I needed a 2 PM check out and explained how Wifi would work. Apparently as there's no Regency Club here I was entitled to breakfast, I'm not sure if it was because of my status or my room rate but I was told I could have the full breakfast buffet for two in the restaurant.

Room: I had paid extra for a river view which got me a large king room. That said, it had a really tiny bathroom which was disappointing. Also, it wasn't serviced very well. My desk lamp was unplugged, one of the outlets didn't work and when I went to make coffee I found there was only one pack of decaf and no cups. On the positive side the Wifi worked well, there were outlets by the bed and the TV was quite nice.

Other: I did Valet parking ($39 a day vs. $29 for self park) and they were great about getting my car quickly.

I liked this hotel, all the staff were great and the location was perfect for downtown. I'd happily be back.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:15 am

One-night Stay on the Riverwalk

Hyatt Regency Riverwalk

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hyatt Regency Riverwalk

123 Losoya St San Antonio, TX US 78205

One-night Stay on the Riverwalk (0 Photo)

Hyatt Regency Riverwalk

Recent one-night stay . Late arrival and early departure meant we were able to enjoy the hotel for only a short time.

Check In

Smooth and effortless. Option of amenity or points offered. (I chose points.)

Room

Ordinary room with a view of the hotel atrium.

Parking

Be prepared to pay. We normally park for $5 in lot operated by the local bus service, on the far (east) side of I-37, then hike about half a mile. In this case with a late arrival dead-tired and early departure, we were willing to pony up the hotel's $29 (plus tax) charge per night for self-parking.

Dining

Breakfast in the hotel's restaurant was fabulous as usual. If your server is the energetic young man named "Fernando" then it's your lucky day. The service was proactive, i.e. just before you realize that you need something, it was already there. Superb.

The location is probably the main selling point of this hotel compared to the much-spiffier Grand Hyatt. The hotel is located directly on the most famous part of the Riverwalk, i.e. the grand central location for tourists. It's also just a short walk (go out the hotel's back entrance) away from the Alamo.

Overall

I used a free night award and was expecting to pay for parking. Unfortunately, they charged me 66 cents for breakfast. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. I shall assume it was a clerical error of some kind. The matter was easily handled by email and the charge reversed.

The next time I need to stay in downtown San Antonio, I'm going to choose this hotel over the Grand Hyatt. They're both good hotels but the Regency wins out due to the much better breakfast and the central location.

One-night Stay on the Riverwalk

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Riverwalk?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
looking at the hotel's website, it looks like they have a new breakfast and quick lunch restaurant inside called "Mkt Place."
http://sanantonioregency.hyatt.com/e...n-antonio.html

does anyone know if the Diamond bfast amenity is there now or in the old hotel restaurant (Q Kitchen)?

Last edited by jrizzl; Dec 7, 2015 at 12:59 pm Reason: added link
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrizzl
looking at the hotel's website, it looks like they have a new breakfast and quick lunch restaurant inside called "Mkt Place."
http://sanantonioregency.hyatt.com/e...n-antonio.html

does anyone know if the Diamond bfast amenity is there now or in the old hotel restaurant (Q Kitchen)?
When I was there (late September) it was the Q Kitchen still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.