Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:37 am

believe me the 4 felt terrible! We had another 2-3 twice later that day. Btw. I had an S class limousine EK chauffeur drive which was basically the GH limousine according to the stickers and info sheet inside the seat pouch
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: Hyatt_DIA, ANA_DIA
Haunted?

I just realized that the hotel was picked up as one of 13 haunted hotels in the world. (By Daily Telegraph)
It is rumored that the building was was built over a former wartime political prison and is said to be haunted by the ghosts of several inmates who were executed, according to local residents. The hotel has placed a Chinese sutra and other sacred scrolls throughout the lobby in an attempt to rid the place of any wandering spirits.
However, when I stayed at the suite room, the bed was so comfortable and my sleeping experience was one of the best on the road.
Did you have any extraordinary experience at this property?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Hikki1224,

Try doing a thread search on the word "haunted" and you'll find further details on this subject.

And they just completed room renovations which included changing the mattresses which may explain your comfort sleep

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Apr 27, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
I'm the most science loving, faith denying, spirits are bunk, etc person on the planet and even I was freaked out by some of the .... that went down during our three night stay here.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Just completed a very enjoyable 11-night stay using a DSU on a P&C rate booked before the category change. Considered it to be exceptional value at Cat 3 and would still consider it good value at Cat 4. We found the entry-level Grand Suite King to be quite comfortable with a well-proportioned division of space between the bedroom and the living room. It has a guest half bath, which we always appreciate for saving some time. A bit disappointed with the size of the walk-in shower; wish they had allotted more space to the shower and less to the bathtub. One thing we did not care much for was being on the concave (north) side of the hotel, since there is a clear view between rooms on that side and it meant having to keep most of the shades down to ensure privacy. Next time we go we will request the south side.

Service from the lounge staff was exceptional. Breakfast offerings were more than adequate, with several hot dishes and made-to-order eggs, and very high-quality bakeries. However, a bit lacking in fresh fruit variety and quality, and the orange juice quality was definitely disappointing.

Evening offerings were rather low-end in quality, but the variety was excellent, with several hot dishes, both western and Chinese/Taiwanese, and most items seemed to change on a 5-day rotation. Lots of filling things too, like lasagna and sandwiches, so it is easy for anyone to make a meal of it. Unfortunately the wines were also very low-end. They are VERY prompt to clean up everything when the cocktail time ends at 8 PM.

We felt that the lounge has too many sofa sitting areas, very deep and low to the floor, and too few table & chair sitting areas. Families with kids appeared to like the sofas, but business people and couples sometimes seemed to be stuck searching for a table.

One thing that contradicted the otherwise high level of service was the inconsistency of housekeeping. On some days everything would be perfect, but on a few days there were some minor omission such as no facecloths or trash not emptied, and on one occasion we were amazed to come back in the afternoon to find that the bed had not been made, even though other things had been done. The bed was exactly how we left it, with the sheets pulled out at the foot and the pillows stacked haphazardly against the headboard. Certainly not a major inconvenience, but I don’t recall ever having that happen anywhere before, so it was a bit of a shock.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Those getting the P+C rates, how far out have you booked? I'm trying to get 3 nights for next week and so far have only found Friday night. Maybe I check day or two before?
Old May 18, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Blootch
Those getting the P+C rates, how far out have you booked? I'm trying to get 3 nights for next week and so far have only found Friday night. Maybe I check day or two before?
We were more than 6 months out. You might try emailing the hotel; in other threads there have been reports of success in getting a P+C rate from the hotel directly when GP was not showing anything.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Blootch
Next week is pretty close, but I got a P&C rate about 2 months out.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
I got the Friday night about a month ago, figured the other nights might open closer to booking. Will send an email to hotel and try that approach - thanks!

My Marriott points are useless in Tiawan...and I only have around 10k SPG.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:15 pm

I was able to get P+C rooms the day before that hadn't been available previously.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Just stayed at this property quite recently and I absolutely loved it! Even though I thought it was probably difficult to get decently priced food around the hotel initially, this was certainly not the case!

PS definitely NOT haunted!
Old May 22, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markcwj
Just stayed at this property quite recently and I absolutely loved it! Even though I thought it was probably difficult to get decently priced food around the hotel initially, this was certainly not the case!

PS definitely NOT haunted!
Oh, you NEVER say something is not haunted. The ghosts user the Internet too and they will find you.

The great thing about Taipei (and many cities) is that you can spend lots of money on super expensive food but you can also go to the food courts in the department stores / malls and get pretty decent stuff for less than US$5.

My favorite near by is the pork chop place by the same name - it is a "higher end" local chain and does not have an English name. A good meal is less than US$5.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by username
Oh, you NEVER say something is not haunted. The ghosts user the Internet too and they will find you.

The great thing about Taipei (and many cities) is that you can spend lots of money on super expensive food but you can also go to the food courts in the department stores / malls and get pretty decent stuff for less than US$5.

My favorite near by is the pork chop place by the same name - it is a "higher end" local chain and does not have an English name. A good meal is less than US$5.
I actually do love the food court located at the basement of Taipei 101! That hotplate squid + beef thing is absolutely delicious (and for a steal too!).

If anyone is interested in my stay in a Grand Deluxe room, feel free to check out my website: http://www.theshutterwhale.com/blog/...d-hyatt-taipei

In the meantime, if you guys have any questions pertaining to the property (e.g. how to get there, what to eat, what to do), drop me a message and I will try to help out as much as I can!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
During what times are the evening food/cocktail service for the lounge?

Trying to configure our flights and this might factor into our schedule.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
During what times are the evening food/cocktail service for the lounge?

Trying to configure our flights and this might factor into our schedule.
I would guess starting around 5:30 or 6:00pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.